Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There's one point in Saints Row 3 where you find yourself being chased by gangsters riding in little carts pulled by guys in gimp suits. If you shoot these carts enough, they explode. This was unintentional (someone forgot to turn off the explosion option when deriving the gimp cart from the standard vehicle) but the devs decided to let it stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Olaf The Stout posted:

(shoots officer chair cushion four times, fuckin' teeny explosion lmao)

And that cop was so close to retirement.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Things I love about FFX: that Wakka's default attack is just throwing a ball at the enemies really hard

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

StrixNebulosa posted:

Things I love about FFX: that Wakka's default attack is just throwing a ball at the enemies really hard

Hey man

Sometimes the ball has spikes.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

Hey bruddah

Sometimes the ball has spikes, ya?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sometimes I deflate the ball a bit so it leaves a welt, yeah?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

None of those monsters are children so those spikes are deadly enough to kill now.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I have an irrational love of FFX.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RCarr posted:

If you could skip cutscene Id agree.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

It was funny when I came back to FFX as an adult and realised a significant part of it was criticism of Japan's politics.

Like, a significant section of the plot is summed up as: the major government/religion is a death cult based on false ideas of honor and sacrifice, run by old men who refuse to die while they sacrifice both the progressive youth (Crusaders) but also the true-believer devout youth (summoners/acolytes).

That's not subtext, that's explicit text in the game.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's great in EDF5 where it turns out that the aliens are (spoilers if you care about the paper-thin plot) here to save Earth by removing pollution and undoing all the damage that humanity has caused, and wiping out humanity because they are a cancer on the planet. The aliens are supposedly sent by God, according to 'ancient prophecies' that the researcher talks about

I caught a bit of somebody streaming it and when the robots alien soldiers showed up I wondered if they were going to go for a "to them, we're the invasive bugs" angle.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Not a little thing in a particular game, but i was at an arcade for the first time in a couple of years today and i noticed a new house of the dead that had a huge rear end booth thing that you sat in and it had lights that would brighten or dim depending on what's going on in the game. There was also a button for XTREME sound which was basically just turning the bass up super high.

In that same place though was The Walking Dead arcade game that had essentially the same setup, so i guess huge rear end booths and mood lighting is something that's neat in these new arcade games? :v:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The Shame Boy posted:

Not a little thing in a particular game, but i was at an arcade for the first time in a couple of years today and i noticed a new house of the dead that had a huge rear end booth thing that you sat in and it had lights that would brighten or dim depending on what's going on in the game. There was also a button for XTREME sound which was basically just turning the bass up super high.

In that same place though was The Walking Dead arcade game that had essentially the same setup, so i guess huge rear end booths and mood lighting is something that's neat in these new arcade games? :v:

Last time I was at Dave and Buster's they had one with a heart rate monitor so it could tell when you were afraid.

I'm going to play so many shooters when the one opens 5 minutes down the road from me.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I've played that one, it's total bullshit to play but the cabinet is great. It has fans which blow when things are behind you and stuff.

The Walking Dead one had crossbows instead of light guns, and was actually pretty forgiving for a light gun game so it was worth the quid.

There was also a huge display Tomb Raider light gun game which was pretty fun

But still, they're no Time Crisis 2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fingerless Gloves posted:

But still, they're no Time Crisis 2.

There's a Barcade in Melbourne that has a two-player Time Crisis 2 cabinet, and I can confirm it still holds up.

But it's still no Point Blank :goonsay:.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Len posted:

Last time I was at Dave and Buster's they had one with a heart rate monitor so it could tell when you were afraid.

I'm going to play so many shooters when the one opens 5 minutes down the road from me.

I wonder what that kind of device would make of me. My resting heart rate is 110.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Exit Strategy posted:

I wonder what that kind of device would make of me. My resting heart rate is 110.

I initially read that as 10 and thought "Holy poo poo that's hosed up".

Now that I've read it correctly it's not that much better.

Edit: not trying to be a dick or insensitive to your medical issues!

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Neddy Seagoon posted:

But it's still no Point Blank :goonsay:.

Brewdog in Liverpool has a Point Blank machine but the calibrations are all off and it makes it an absolute misery to play, but I can't stop playing it.

Might see if I can sneakily recalibrate it somehow so I can relive the joy

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Exit Strategy posted:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

RCarr posted:

Loving FFX is actually a supremely rational and intellectual response.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

exquisite tea posted:

Loving FFX is actually a supremely rational and intellectual response.

I will always be happy that such a good game got such a good PC port, it deserves it.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Dynasty Warriors 4: Sun Jian's charge attack goes right through groups of enemies and knocks them over.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

StrixNebulosa posted:

I will always be happy that such a good game got such a good PC port, it deserves it.

Here's hoping the X/X2 port for Switch is also good. They are easily my favorite FF games.

Hell, 12 is coming to Switch as well.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Ghost Squad is the best light gun shooter and I will fight people over this.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Brewdog in Liverpool has a Point Blank machine but the calibrations are all off and it makes it an absolute misery to play, but I can't stop playing it.

Might see if I can sneakily recalibrate it somehow so I can relive the joy

Unfortunately you won't be able to recalibrate the problem of it being in a Brewdog bar!!

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

moosecow333 posted:

Ghost Squad is the best light gun shooter and I will fight people over this.

Crisis Zone is the best, it was like playing the lobby scene in The Matrix.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tumble posted:

Crisis Zone is the best, it was like playing the lobby scene in The Matrix.

Eat all my quarters you son bitch.

Did anybody ever play that PvP lightgun game where you used the footpedals to move? Loco Caliente or something it was called?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The best lightgun shooter is clearly the House of the Dead 2.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
My favorite was GunBlade NY, even though the rumble of the guns made my hands hurt. Or maybe because of that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The only flaw with Time Crisis 2 is you couldn’t burn your quarters twice as fast by getting two credits and playing as P1 and P2 at the same time. Did that a lot in Area 51. It was.... not effective. And expensive. But a lot of fun.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Dual wielding lightguns as P1 and 2 is a rite of passage for any kid who's just been given more than a responsible number of quarters by their parent or guardian.

edit: Dual wielding plasma cutters in Dead Space: Extraction really made me yearn for those days! It's very effective!

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The only flaw with Time Crisis 2 is you couldn’t burn your quarters twice as fast by getting two credits and playing as P1 and P2 at the same time. Did that a lot in Area 51. It was.... not effective. And expensive. But a lot of fun.

I actually managed that in TC2. I found an arcade that had them set close enough together that I could just barely reach each pedal. I lost in the second level, but had a lot of fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
House of the Dead: Overkill with the AMU Handcannon shells and dual auto-shotguns :blastu:.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

OutOfPrint posted:

I actually managed that in TC2. I found an arcade that had them set close enough together that I could just barely reach each pedal. I lost in the second level, but had a lot of fun.

How do you even keep your balance doing that? When I played TIME CRISIS 2 I kept my pedal foot forward.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
House of the Dead started off strong but in the recent ones they make the zombies disappear in a *poof* before they even hit the ground so you can't see the gore, and watching the zombies explode apart where you shoot them is like... at least a full 1/3rd of why the game is so fun in the first place

(oh and also screw all the arcades that changed the blood to green, red blood for life they are undead *people* why would their blood turn green that doesn't make any sense at all)

Tumble has a new favorite as of 03:34 on Dec 21, 2018

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Zanzibar Ham posted:

My favorite was GunBlade NY, even though the rumble of the guns made my hands hurt. Or maybe because of that.

My roommate and I once dumped about 10 bucks into that, and after we finished playing, I couldn't grip anything with my right hand for about 10 minutes because it was numb.

There was a light gun shooter that had some IR trackers built into the cabinet that did body tracking, so you would have to step/lean out of cover, or duck under things. It was great, but at the end my legs hurt from playing.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
My new favorite light gun game is Elevator Action: Death Parade, which has functioning elevator doors as a gameplay mechanic.

On an unrelated note, I’ve been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I am amazed at how much environmental dialogue they have for Aloy, based on what you’re doing and the weather.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

There was a light gun shooter that had some IR trackers built into the cabinet that did body tracking, so you would have to step/lean out of cover, or duck under things. It was great, but at the end my legs hurt from playing.

Not sure if this is the exact game you're thinking of, but I remember Police 911 having these features: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiKa9aC6gQ8

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Gann Jerrod posted:

On an unrelated note, I’ve been playing Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I am amazed at how much environmental dialogue they have for Aloy, based on what you’re doing and the weather.

The best is when you are hanging onto a cliff and she goes, “don’t look down ... don’t look down” and then if you swing the camera downward she just goes, “... dammit”

codenameFANGIO has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Dec 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just got a PlayStation (first console ever) and Horizon Zero Dawn is the first game I bought for it, and god I'm loving it so far. One minor thing that I really appreciate is being able to pause cut scenes. Why don't more games have that?