Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

EBag posted:

Guess their imagination is pretty limited.

A description of nerd taste in a single sentence. It's why we have so many Cthulhu and Zombie games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hardly think that's limited to nerdy people

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Zombies: something only nerds are into.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
from a few pages ago but

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Nethervoid deck in Tash Kalar is great. That is all.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!

Somberbrero posted:

Timeline is totally fine with some small caveats, but I prefer Chronology when it comes to trivia games.

What's the difference? I got a thrift copy of Chronology in an exchange in 2014 and I still haven't touched it.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Chomp8645 posted:

Zombies: something only nerds are into.

Not even close, idiot.

Triple-Kan
Dec 29, 2008

sector_corrector posted:

Not even close, idiot.

Just gonna quote this for posterity.

In other news, got to play Assault on Doomrock last weekend. It lasts for-goddamn-ever but at least the abstract combat was kind of interesting. On the other hand, it's still not a replacement for just playing D&D.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Now that Kemet: Ta-Seti is here, it actually matters which unit in a troop dies because obviously you want the enemy priest to die. So the new black power tile that kills 1 attacker pre-battle specifies the victim chooses who dies. What about the game's other effects that kill units outside of battle? Always victim's choice (read: not the priest)?

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

sector_corrector posted:

Not even close, idiot.

You got him

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

how is this thread so consistently bad at getting jokes

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

It's made up entirely of goons who specifically play designer board games, would be my guess.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Jokes need a setup diagram.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StashAugustine posted:

Because jokes are fun.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

GrandpaPants posted:

Jokes need a setup diagram.

Imagine four cubes on the edge of a resource track...

trouser_mouse
Apr 27, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Done and done!

A couple of really great two player games for the OP are Jaipur and Patchwork.

Only just discovered Patchwork, it's so slick and fun, beautiful components - great buy!

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
TIME seems like one of those games I'd really like to play. Once. Never would actually buy it though.

Was watching someone at work go over the rules for Patchwork, and goddamn. Some people are just bad at explaining rules. It hurt me to see, it really did, but last time I try to correct him he snarkily asked if I would like to teach the game. Which kind of felt lovely, so I clammed up. He spent the next fifteen minutes going over the rules, backtracking, forgetting things, mentioning certain things out of order, etc.

I taught two people how to play 7 Wonders Duel and they really enjoyed it, which I was happy about. When it comes to games I've played, especially two player games, I'm finding that I'd much rather have newcomers play against each other while I...arbitrate, I guess. Helps me focus on what's going on, keep track of the rules, and offer help if it's needed without feeling like I'm just setting myself up to lose.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Dirk the Average posted:

Imagine four cubes on the edge of a resource track...

Oh great, we're playing Panamax!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

StashAugustine posted:

babies can't handle a real wargame

(I'm more concerned about what the gently caress the French player is supposed to do. Maybe we should get a goon PbP once there's a vassal module to see how it works out)

Calling this from way back on the last page to say that there is a Vassal module out: http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Liberty_or_Death:_The_American_Insurrection

Oddity
Jun 22, 2003

"This woman here depicted will possess unseen marks. Signs that she will be the one to bring forth my works."

Scyther posted:

A bunch of people say "Amerigold" and I nearly throw up in my mouth. The thing about "Ameritrash" is it means a very specific type of bad game (see: anything by Flying Frog), not just "bad game" in general. The people who get angry about Ameritrash usually don't really know what it refers to and think it refers to any thematic game or they're even stupider and think it refers to american games.

The problem is, that's now how the community uses the term. Ameritrash has become a catch-all word to describe a category of game, similar to Euro.

Acolyte!
Aug 6, 2001

Go! Rocket Kiwi! Go!
Early usage was for Monopoly-derivatives and games that were entirely luck based. Then it morphed a bit into "games you would have thought were really cool when you were a dumb teen" and now Scyther's as close as anyone else.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock
I played about 5 games of Patchwork tonight with my wife, who borrowed it from a friend. It's an interesting little thing, though I didn't manage to work out how I ought to be optimizing my scoring yet. Excited to tackle some more games of it though. I'm gonna avoid reading strategies about this one to prevent ruining the learning experience, I think.

On a completely different note, it's been two weeks since we last posted about it, so I wanted to remind folks that Somberbrero and I are still continuing our endeavor to play a few print-and-play games every couple of weeks and review/analyze them for our podcast. Episode 7 went up yesterday, wherein we looked at New Bedford and it's micro-game brother Nantucket. Both are worker placement games, and both feel pretty tightly designed, if not super innovative. The theme is the 1800s American whaling trade, but the games don't glorify the whaling itself in any way (and I argue for the subtext of the design doing the opposite in our review).

Our format is long-form, considered, careful discussion between two friends that enjoy board games and game design. As such, episodes tend to run 40 to 60 minutes. We understand that's not for everyone, but we'd obviously appreciate any feedback.

I mostly started doing it to give myself an excuse to try more print-and-play games, spend more time with a buddy, talk more cognizantly about game design theory, and provide some long, thoughtful reviews to amateur designers who might not know that anyone is really appreciating what they're doing. On all of those accounts, it's been a success from my perspective, so they're probably gonna keep coming regardless.

Thanks.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Acolyte! posted:

Early usage was for Monopoly-derivatives and games that were entirely luck based. Then it morphed a bit into "games you would have thought were really cool when you were a dumb teen" and now Scyther's as close as anyone else.

This is the problem I have with the term...I'm not offended by it or mad about it, it just seems like a nothing term because everyone who uses it has a different definition, many of which are just pointing to a specific game or publisher and going "like those guys." It reminds me of the dumb "RPG versus Storygames" thing that certain people insist is extremely important to make note of even though nobody else really notices or cares.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SuperKlaus posted:

Now that Kemet: Ta-Seti is here, it actually matters which unit in a troop dies because obviously you want the enemy priest to die. So the new black power tile that kills 1 attacker pre-battle specifies the victim chooses who dies. What about the game's other effects that kill units outside of battle? Always victim's choice (read: not the priest)?

That's correct.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Siroc posted:

What are people's experiences with Codenames with different groups sizes? I hear some playing with 10 and that seems excessive. What group size is too little and what's too much?

It works great with ten, that's a guessing team of four apiece. You'd have to be pretty meek to get drowned out in such a small group, which is the only downside to playing with as many people as possible.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I want to experiment when very large groups want to play codenames with having 3 teams where the assassin + 7 bystanders make up the third team's words. I bet it would suck though

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Large teams would be better just playing two games next door to each other. Commentating on each others games could be fun.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
With two sets and lots of people you could do simultaneous games; two grids of the same words, different team patterns. Swap halfway for total confusion.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I finally played my copy of Eminent Domain. Clever design and fun, but I would have really liked to see an example of play in the rules.

We had a question about the Survey role -- obviously the leader bonus means that the leader, playing only the survey card from the stacks and with no other survey icons in her empire, gets to look at the front and back of 1 planet card and take it, face down. But what about followers who only play one survey icon in following? Do they get to do anything? The rules seem to say that you get to look at 0 cards and keep 1, which is a little hard to interpret.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I finally played my copy of Eminent Domain. Clever design and fun, but I would have really liked to see an example of play in the rules.

We had a question about the Survey role -- obviously the leader bonus means that the leader, playing only the survey card from the stacks and with no other survey icons in her empire, gets to look at the front and back of 1 planet card and take it, face down. But what about followers who only play one survey icon in following? Do they get to do anything? The rules seem to say that you get to look at 0 cards and keep 1, which is a little hard to interpret.

They don't get to do anything. You need at least two symbols to follow Survey IIRC.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Still waiting for my Food Chain Magnate to ship and the wait is destroying me. Anyone getting shipment notifications yet?

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

bobvonunheil posted:

Oh good, the next TIME Stories expansion is called 'A Prophecy of Dragons', set in the middle-ages with magic.

"This is a game about historical time travelling where the only limit is the imagination!"
*asylum setting*
*zombie setting*
*Game of Thrones setting*

and the fourth is 'Under the Mask' which is almost definitely going to be a superhero/Watchmen ripoff.

Under the Mask is Ancient Egypt.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you want codenames to go faster with eight, it makes sense to do 4 cluegivers and 4 guessers. Let the cluegivers have pads of paper if they need to, but it'll dump the worst part of codenames; sitting around for minutes as someone struggles with the board.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Still waiting for my Food Chain Magnate to ship and the wait is destroying me. Anyone getting shipment notifications yet?

Nope, what order # are you?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
^^ Splotter's page says estimated shipping is Jan 8-15, delayed from December, for 3rd printing orders. They say all orders up to like 14something have shipped so 3rd print must be the ones left.

Anyone tried out Dungeon Saga: Dwarf King's Quest? I am curious about it, and I have a soft spot for DM-less RPG type games.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
On Euro vs. Ameritrash: both terms still exist and see heavy usage because humans like dichotomies. Black/white, male/female, high/low, etc. It's just in our nature to want to categorize things into no more than two descriptive groups.

Ameritreasure is solid gold, though.

Lorini posted:

My entry to the hobby was Diplomacy. When I went to Glascon at 27 years old to play it, the only black person there and the only woman there, and they accepted me without any issues, I knew this was my hobby :).

Please please please, more stories like this! This is precisely what I want to hear happening all day, every day.

I know people here have mixed opinions of SU&SD's content, but their video on dealing with problem gamers is top notch. "We don't do that here," as a response to bigotry, has entered into my lexicon everywhere I go, not just in boardgaming. It's such a brilliant way of calling someone out to help them correct their behavior while establishing a sense of community and acceptance with everyone around you. And community is what makes this hobby great.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Except for the part about quarterbacking. I feel like there was something else glaringly wrong with it, but like hell am I watching it again.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Party update, we only played Catch Phrase, nobody wanted to play Codenames :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

COOL CORN posted:

Party update, we only played Catch Phrase, nobody wanted to play Codenames :negative:

Did you get to explain how it works? When are they going to bust out CAH?