Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Are there any good videos/articles that highlight the better contrast paints? I tried the blood angels today on cloth and its perfect, same with snakebite leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

goodness posted:

Are there any good videos/articles that highlight the better contrast paints? I tried the blood angels today on cloth and its perfect, same with snakebite leather.

I really liked these videos in particular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azfJKkrDCrc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk7HM-dVJNc

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

I'm an indecisive bastard.

Someone please recommend me an air compressor for the sotar 2020 and the patriot 105.

In fact, I'm even going back and forth between those.
Assuming I own the fine, medium, and heavy needles for each, which airbrush would you gentle goons choose?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

If you've never airbrushed before, the 105.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Cross Postin'

Finished another 3 tanks for the ol' Steel Legion army

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Yeast posted:

Cross Postin'

These all look amazing. Is this Wyvern a Forgeworld Hydra turret with the Wyvern guns on it?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
I bought a patriot as my first airbrush and got the sotar for 50 bucks ish during the badger annual promotion. The patriot is the one I use the most, the sotar absolutely has greater detail potential- but for me? Being able to prime indoors, lay down effective zenithal highlights and generally keep things smooth is the appeal of the airbrush. Large sections of armor or plating are a delight now. Doing transitions and gradual blends on the fly.

Both of them are very high quality tools, but where I'm at in my airbrush skill and confidence I rarely have need to swap to the sotar. If you commit to sub assembly and make heavy use of masking, I bet the sotar could do some real work.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

I'm looking to get into using an airbrush and I was hoping someone could recommend a decent compressor. Im looking to keep it as cheap as possible with a $300 budget without getting a piece of crap . I saw this get recommended elsewhere but after reading the OP I'm a little hesitant with something in that price range.

Edite: heh didn't realize someone was asking the same thing just a few posts aboove

Chacmool fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 18, 2019

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Chacmool posted:

I'm looking to get into using an airbrush and I was hoping someone could recommend a decent compressor. Im looking to keep it as cheap as possible with a $300 budget without getting a piece of crap . I saw this get recommended elsewhere but after reading the OP I'm a little hesitant with something in that price range.

Edite: heh didn't realize someone was asking the same thing just a few posts aboove

The badger one is fine, but it's probably just this: https://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Depot-TC-20T-Compressor-Regulator/dp/B0038D38AA wrapped in a fancy case. I've had the linked one now for 6 years and it still works well.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Speaking of airbrushes, anybody have a video or guide they can link for first-timers with getting set up, cleaning, additional products I'll need, etc.? I bought a cheapo airbrush several months ago that I haven't used because I'm afraid of gunking it up immediately and I just don't know the process and what thinning/cleaning products I'll need.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Booley posted:

The badger one is fine, but it's probably just this: https://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Depot-TC-20T-Compressor-Regulator/dp/B0038D38AA wrapped in a fancy case. I've had the linked one now for 6 years and it still works well.

Seconding this. I went from a five gallon Craftsmen compressor to the one linked and it's been running for four years without issue.

Chacmool
Apr 12, 2007

Thanks guys, the extra year warranty on the TC20 doesn't hurt either. Got one on the way along with a Badger 105 :patriot:

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Got Gorman di Wulfe done.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Anybody tried airbrushing contrast paint yet? Will it filter instead of pool?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Finally making progress on my DG . What do I do for the melee weapons?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

DiHK posted:

Anybody tried airbrushing contrast paint yet? Will it filter instead of pool?

They don't work if they are airbrushed.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Hello
I'm often stuck not knowing where to apply shading and highlighting to get a natural effect. Does someone has some tips with that?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I LOVE THESE DOGS

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goodness posted:

Finally making progress on my DG . What do I do for the melee weapons?

I would try hitting them with different Contrast paints.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Iceclaw posted:

Hello
I'm often stuck not knowing where to apply shading and highlighting to get a natural effect. Does someone has some tips with that?

You could try using your workspace lamp as the light source and take a picture. That will at least give you everything you need from at least one angle. You can also take that photo into image editing software and make it black and white to really help show natural shadows and highlights.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm painting this guy today and was hoping to get some advice on how to paint the cloth. Right now he's primed with Corax, my first instinct was to base with Rakarth and then use a thinned down Sepia to get an off-white, dirty effect, then layer with Pallid Wych.

The skirt (?) I want to be green, so I'm thinking Warboss/ Biel shade/ Warboss

Thoughts?

Edit: Also, I still have no idea how to make a simple wood brown that looks good

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cross post from the oath thread:

Icon Of Sin posted:

:siren: OATH COMPLETE :siren:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Iceclaw posted:

Hello

One quick and dirty way is to turn the miniature so you're looking at its top, then imagine your eyeball as the light source.

Highlight what you can see, then shade the opposite side.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Got some devastators done just in time for armies on parade.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Booley posted:

Ken from badger has literally said that his compressors (along with every other major brand) are just repackaged Chinese compressors, and recommended saving a few bucks by buying generic.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Iceclaw posted:

Hello

Are you using washes? If not, applying a wash thinned with a flow improver after laying down a basecoat is a great way to exaggerate the relief of a model.

Basically, build up a base colour with a few thin coats, then apply a thinned wash, then use that as a guide, gradually applying highlights to the areas left lighter by the wash. If you want darker recesses, apply another thinned coat. Rinse and repeat until you get a result you like.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

This is more an assembly question then a painting question but I have some Mars Attacks miniature game minis, namely the saucers and robots, that have interchangeable weapons. Instead of making the model that can be only one weapon type permanently I recall reading somewhere about using magnets on the weapon or arm pieces that allows you to switch the models weapon load out depending on what you want for the current game you’re playing. Does anyone have experience doing this?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I used TINY magnets on my Legion models. Maybe 1/16” across? I magnetized the weapon choices for the AT-RTs. You may have to do a touch of extra drilling in the space where you want the magnet to go, if you want the models to look like they’re supposed to. Sometimes you can get away without that, though. Make drat certain you’ve got the polarization right, don’t ask me why I’m telling you this beforehand :suicide:

e: pics. I think they’re 1/16” across. They’re rare-earth magnets, so they’re plenty strong.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 19, 2019

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Airbrushing is fun

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Booley posted:

Nice! This is neat info thank you.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I managed to pull off best painted at AoP this year! Enjoy some ghetto pictures:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Since I have a feeling that Sisters of Battle are due to be up for pre-order before the end of the month, I decided to try and figure out a custom scheme for them. I used the Bolter and Chainsword Space Marine Painter to put together a few different schemes based on the colors I had it mind.

Here's the one I ended up liking the most:

The two colors I wanted to have were Brilliant Blue and Lavender. In terms of Citadel paints, the Thousand Sons blue is considered Brilliant Blue, but I don't know what purple colors best correspond to Lavender (I thought Daemonette Hide, though some of the color schemes on the Citadel Color app lean more towards lilac than lavender.) I was hoping someone could point me towards whatever would work best for a lavender shade, be it Citadel or something else.

I also just wanted some feedback on the design itself. I did like 8 different variations, but this was the one I liked the most, as the blue accent color on the pauldrons really pop out.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Since I have a feeling that Sisters of Battle are due to be up for pre-order before the end of the month, I decided to try and figure out a custom scheme for them. I used the Bolter and Chainsword Space Marine Painter to put together a few different schemes based on the colors I had it mind.

Here's the one I ended up liking the most:

The two colors I wanted to have were Brilliant Blue and Lavender. In terms of Citadel paints, the Thousand Sons blue is considered Brilliant Blue, but I don't know what purple colors best correspond to Lavender (I thought Daemonette Hide, though some of the color schemes on the Citadel Color app lean more towards lilac than lavender.) I was hoping someone could point me towards whatever would work best for a lavender shade, be it Citadel or something else.

I also just wanted some feedback on the design itself. I did like 8 different variations, but this was the one I liked the most, as the blue accent color on the pauldrons really pop out.

Looks like clown vomit but the gently caress do I know*.

*I know I hate that. Maybe they'll end up looking great when they're actually painted though, I don't have the best eye for this stuff.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

The colors look very Slaanesh or Tzeentch.

I think something to keep in mind is that the SoB typically have a harsh, somber scheme. Each of the canonical pallets are limited to red, black, and white.

They're your figures and you can do whatever, but this scheme is a big step outside of the established army-wide aesthetic.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Looks like clown vomit but the gently caress do I know*.

*I know I hate that. Maybe they'll end up looking great when they're actually painted though, I don't have the best eye for this stuff.

moths posted:

The colors look very Slaanesh or Tzeentch.

I think something to keep in mind is that the SoB typically have a harsh, somber scheme. Each of the canonical pallets are limited to red, black, and white.

They're your figures and you can do whatever, but this scheme is a big step outside of the established army-wide aesthetic.

Well, if they're vomit inducing (:vomarine:), then maybe I can incorporate blood in somehow and make them Chaos Undivided. :v:

It did cross my mind those were Tzeentch/Slaanesh colors. I had some personal reasons for picking those colors (if that makes any sense), but if it seems like a really unfitting scheme for Sisters of Battle, I could file it away and use it for Chaos Space Marines instead.

Here's an alternate version with darker shades. For this I went to GW's website and got the hex color code for Thousand Sons Blue and Daemontte Hide.

Does this look better, or is it still kind of the same?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Oct 20, 2019

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I think either the teal or purple would be fine with black and white, but both are breaking pretty far from the norm.

FWIW, I think both schemes are fine in the abstract, but from a lore perspective it goes against expectation. Consider how first responders have a "look" - you aren't typically going to see a woodland camoflague ambulance or a firefighter in tie-dye, it's predominately dark blues or black and bright reds or yellows.

We have six example orders, and they all use the same three colors.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

moths posted:

I think either the teal or purple would be fine with black and white

Yeah, I think this is the way to go. Pick whichever of the two you're more attached to and use that in lieu of the red common to SoB schemes, and you'll end up with an army that's distinct without totally breaking kayfabe.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Alokgen posted:

You could try using your workspace lamp as the light source and take a picture. That will at least give you everything you need from at least one angle. You can also take that photo into image editing software and make it black and white to really help show natural shadows and highlights.

moths posted:

One quick and dirty way is to turn the miniature so you're looking at its top, then imagine your eyeball as the light source.

Highlight what you can see, then shade the opposite side.

MeinPanzer posted:

Are you using washes? If not, applying a wash thinned with a flow improver after laying down a basecoat is a great way to exaggerate the relief of a model.

Basically, build up a base colour with a few thin coats, then apply a thinned wash, then use that as a guide, gradually applying highlights to the areas left lighter by the wash. If you want darker recesses, apply another thinned coat. Rinse and repeat until you get a result you like.

Thanks you guys.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

moths posted:

I think either the teal or purple would be fine with black and white, but both are breaking pretty far from the norm.

FWIW, I think both schemes are fine in the abstract, but from a lore perspective it goes against expectation. Consider how first responders have a "look" - you aren't typically going to see a woodland camoflague ambulance or a firefighter in tie-dye, it's predominately dark blues or black and bright reds or yellows.

We have six example orders, and they all use the same three colors.

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

Yeah, I think this is the way to go. Pick whichever of the two you're more attached to and use that in lieu of the red common to SoB schemes, and you'll end up with an army that's distinct without totally breaking kayfabe.

Here's what I came up with:
or

The only thing I'm not sure on are the sleeves. Maybe red or white would be better.

I actually had to go and look up SOB color schemes, because apart from Order of the Martyred Lady (which I think is the default scheme), I'm not familiar with the other Sororitas schemes.

This gives me the idea to install Soulstorm and use the army painter in that to see how certain colors or schemes come out.

Doing a search, I did find a couple of examples done by other people that were along the lines of what I had first came up with. Mind you, I'm not putting these forth as a retort towards the criticism to my first design, but i thought it was an interesting reference to how some of the colors would look on an actual model.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Max Wilco posted:

Here's what I came up with:
or

Do the first one.

There's enough contrast, the colours don't clash and the gold details play off the blues well.

The second one is ok, but the gold detailing will blend into the cream cloth too much.