Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Barudak posted:

Just as all hope is lost Jyn hears the words of her father which give her the courage to press on, "Meesa Jarjar Binks" he whispers.

Hearing Mads Mikkelsen say that would be well worth the price of a ticket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Whats the policy in here again? Are we even allowed to discuss spoilers if we use tags or just not discuss them at all?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Basebf555 posted:

Whats the policy in here again? Are we even allowed to discuss spoilers if we use tags or just not discuss them at all?

There's a different thread for spoiler talk.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Lord Hydronium posted:

The Rebels find a hologram of Starkiller Base, labelled "also a Death Star".

Lord Hydronium just dropped the mic on the thread.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Basebf555 posted:

I'm gonna be making a new thread probably later today for the movie (and to be the general Star Wars thread, like this one) and it will follow the same spoiler rules as this one (no untagged spoilers for a month after it is released in the US).

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Rogue One got a fairly scathing review from Richard Brody: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/rogue-one-reviewed-is-it-time-to-abandon-the-star-wars-franchise

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

OTOH this dude does say AOTC and ROTS were the best of the series.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

quote:

Almost pedantic in its inoffensiveness.

quote:

All the pieces are there ... like Lego figures in a box. The problem is that the filmmakers haven't really bothered to think of anything very interesting to do with them.

quote:

Constrained by a flat and inexpressive script, “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story” lets neither its characters nor even its special effects come to life.

quote:

lacks the substance and drama to be taken seriously.

quote:

Technically deft but emotionally cold.

quote:

For all its vivid visual imagination, the film left me almost totally cold. And I say that as a man who has cried actual tears at more than one Star Wars movie.

quote:

Boasts thin characters played by great actors scampering about far too many planets

Gareth my friend........you've done it again!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Did Armond White get a job at the New Yorker under a pen name?

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

OTOH this dude does say AOTC and ROTS were the best of the series.

Many people cried actual tears when watching AotC, but unlike him, they were tears of laughter.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

The Jabba scene mostly just needs to have fewer lines in common with the Greedo scene, and about quadruple the resolution on the Jabba texture.

I agree about both aspects. I think the best solution would have been to just cut those redundant lines from the Greedo scene, since they were only added into that scene after the Jabba scene was cut anyway. As it stands, though, you can kind of interpret it as showing Han just giving Jabba the same slickly rehearsed excuses he gave to Greedo. Unlike most of the things I say, by the way, that actually is a bullshit rationalization for a genuine flaw.

But Han sarcastically calling Jabba a "wonderful human being" is hands-down one of the funniest Han Solo zingers in the saga, even if it wasn't originally intended that way.

There's also a rumor that Jabba has been completely re-rendered for the upcoming 4K version.

Phi230 posted:

my biggest problem with the scene is the awful, amateur "Han stepping on Jabba's tail"

also jabba needs to be bigger

This scene ultimately defies Jabba's character. He isn't the type to go do stuff himself, he hires others to do it.

He usually isn't, but this is a really big deal to him. Han is a very important asset (and he also just blew away the errand boy Jabba already did send out to do the job for him). As you can see in the scene, he even presents himself as being a sort of paternal figure to Han, which is another very interesting added dynamic to their relationship which makes the scene worthwhile.

And I think Jabba looks just about as big as he's supposed to be, give or take a very minor fudge factor:

What might be throwing you off is the fact that he's always on a raised dais in Return of the Jedi.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

so if rogue one is good, you'll keep beating that drum?

you already have people saying its as good as empire

oh btw nerdes notice nobody is saying its as good as "prequel"

When it first came out, people were also saying TFA was as good as, and even better than Empire.

This is not meant as a commentary on Rogue One in any way, given that I have not seen it. I feel I must remind you that you have not seen it either.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Did we do this one already

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

It is with a heavy heart that i must report that rogue one is bad, diagnosis? Prequelitis

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

HannibalBarca posted:

Gareth my friend........you've done it again!

Hmmm. Sounds like a lot of descriptions of the prequels...enthusiasm level...rising...

Jerkface posted:

It is with a heavy heart that i must report that rogue one is bad, diagnosis? Prequelitis

Yes. Yes!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
As a cultural marxist, I fully endorse the continued cuckification of the star war

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm glad to see reviews are good. Hopefully this will be a good film and I will enjoy it like I enjoyed the last one. I like Star Wars.

Serf
May 5, 2011

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Did we do this one already

haha what

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/ho...dium=socialflow

"How The gently caress High Was This New Yorker Guy When He Wrote This Star Wars Take?"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The first paragraph of the New Yorker review got a sensible chuckle out of me.

HerzogZwo
Nov 30, 2000

You really have to laugh at reviews like this. Obviously the editors of the New Yorker thought it would be fun to send the stodgy old film critic to the Disney space opera so they can get a scathing review with lots of big words to use for click-bait. Right now the poor old man is probably getting hammered on social media before anyone has even seen the film yet. At the end of the day, a guy who's niche is the French New Wave, independent films, et al. is most likely not going to derive much pleasure from a film like this.

Here's what Brody thought of Ep IV:

"R. Brody' posted:

Prior to viewing “The Force Awakens,” I had seen the first film in the series (the one belatedly renamed “A New Hope,” from 1977) some time in the nineteen-eighties, and none of the others. That’s because I was utterly underwhelmed by “A New Hope,” impressed solely by the world-making of the script—the delivery of a ready-made but minor mythology—but neither moved nor fascinated nor at all delighted by the filmmaking.

I would love to get SMG and this guy in a room to see what kind of magic happens!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Black Bones posted:

As a cultural marxist, I fully endorse the continued cuckification of the star war

KRENNIC: The power of the Empire cannot be stopped.

JYN: The Dark Side has fooled you, Krennic. Even if we fail today, the Rebellion will never end, because you are corrupt.

KRENNIC: (Turning slowly to face the camera) The real corruption is a leader who fails to divest themselves from their business interests or, even worse, leaves their children in charge of their businesses.

JYN: (Puts her hand on Krennic's shoulder and looks into the camera) Imagine if Darth Vader was running half the galaxy and he left Luke Skywalker in charge of his business.

KRENNIC: Now THAT's a dark side.

JYN: The irony is that white people are the darkest of all.

DARTH VADER: (Stepping up behind them and putting his arms around them both) That's why we have to genocide all whites. Without whites around, this galaxy far, far away will finally be free of war.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/dumpstarwars-reshoots-trump/

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Vintersorg posted:

http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/ho...dium=socialflow

"How The gently caress High Was This New Yorker Guy When He Wrote This Star Wars Take?"

This article is really stupid. It's basically just him quoting parts of the review—parts that make perfect sense—and saying "WHUHHH?" The New Yorker is a magazine written for adults and this guy basically seems upset that it's not written like the rest of the web, at a 6th grade reading level

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That Concourse whatever article is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on the internet, and it's got nothing to do with what Star Wars movies that person does or doesn't like.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Polo-Rican posted:

This article is really stupid. It's basically just him quoting parts of the review—parts that make perfect sense—and saying "WHUHHH?" The New Yorker is a magazine written for adults and this guy basically seems upset that it's not written like the rest of the web, at a 6th grade reading level

:lol:

Ok.

quote:

The director of “Rogue One,” Gareth Edwards, has stepped into a mythopoetic stew so half-baked and overcooked, a morass of pre-instantly overanalyzed implications of such shuddering impact to the series’ fundamentalists, that he lumbers through, seemingly stunned or constrained or cautious to the vanishing point of passivity, and lets neither the characters nor the formidable cast of actors nor even the special effects, of which he has previously proved himself to be a master, come anywhere close to life.

This guy gets off on making things so verbose.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 13, 2016

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

At least being verbose is better than literally saying nothing but weird noises and "you're stupid!"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Oh god - get over yourselves. You're so high brow and such adults! It's a stupid article making fun of poo poo.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It's barely an article, and given that I've not watched Rogue One I have no idea if there's anything to the New Yorker review - which is at least a more amusing read.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Brody is a good film critic. He makes no demands that you share his taste and writes honestly about his response and engagement with the movie, while comparing it to similar films.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

star war ... is bad?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

:lol:

Ok.

This guy gets off on making things so verbose.

it's the new yorker, the whole point is to dress up bland mediocrity in pretentious enough language that the readers/writers can feel like they're actually cultured and discerning

star wars is for children

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Well it did make me buy Star Wars toys again, just like the 2007 Transformers movie.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm trying to decide how I'm gonna see this movie. I hear this movie was shot in IMAX 70mm (or, as it turns out, "70mm" with caveats), and I've got the means to see it in that format. Two questions, though. First, is the entire movie shot in that format? Or is this like Dark Knight, where only two scenes are shot in full IMAX? Second, I'm curious how this format would play on the screen I'm going to see it on. And when I say screen, I mean dome, because that's what we have in Tampa, the MOSI IMAX Dome. I saw Superman vs Batman there, and I hated it. Not talking the movie itself (ehh... at least Wonder Woman was awesome), but the experience. The loving movie looked warped on the curved dome. It was hard to watch. And when there was a close up? Like at the end of the movie, when the camera is coming in close to Luthor's face, it came to a point where you just can't tell what you're looking at anymore, everything becomes so distorted.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Rotten Tomatoes embargo is off, its at 84% with 141 reviews.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
"Adult level" or whatever aside, The New Yorker's reviews have always been out of touch regardless of how fair or "right" or "wrong" they seem and aren't really worth reading. They're always written with the standpoint of someone going with very specific expectations on how they feel such a story "should" play out and basically go down a checklist of how those expectations are met. But the pointedly highfalutin "voice" they're written in doesn't give us insight into the reviewer's personality* to let us know if we'd actually like the movie or not based on their review.

*Like IDGAF if a reviewer likes or hates a movie or how stupid their reasons are for that as long as from the review I can tell if I would like or hate a movie.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

"Adult level" or whatever aside, The New Yorker's reviews have always been out of touch regardless of how fair or "right" or "wrong" they seem and aren't really worth reading. They're always written with the standpoint of someone going with very specific expectations on how they feel such a story "should" play out and basically go down a checklist of how those expectations are met.

So basically they go in with the same certainties that Star Wars fans have when going to see these movies.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Revol posted:

I'm trying to decide how I'm gonna see this movie. I hear this movie was shot in IMAX 70mm (or, as it turns out, "70mm" with caveats), and I've got the means to see it in that format. Two questions, though. First, is the entire movie shot in that format? Or is this like Dark Knight, where only two scenes are shot in full IMAX? Second, I'm curious how this format would play on the screen I'm going to see it on. And when I say screen, I mean dome, because that's what we have in Tampa, the MOSI IMAX Dome. I saw Superman vs Batman there, and I hated it. Not talking the movie itself (ehh... at least Wonder Woman was awesome), but the experience. The loving movie looked warped on the curved dome. It was hard to watch. And when there was a close up? Like at the end of the movie, when the camera is coming in close to Luthor's face, it came to a point where you just can't tell what you're looking at anymore, everything becomes so distorted.

Don't see non-nature documentaries on a dome. It's never a good experience.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The reviews seem pretty tepid so far, with even the most positive ones highlighting the general lack of charm and 2D characters. Oh well.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jewmanji posted:

The reviews seem pretty tepid so far, with even the most positive ones highlighting the general lack of charm and 2D characters. Oh well.

It's the prequels all over again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Super Fan posted:

It's the prequels all over again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSaaa_OBkzw

PCP is a hell of a drug.

• Locked thread