Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
jfc why don't those fuckers just take the next exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Not if that was the real definition of the camera.

Uh, were looking for a white sedan with a poo poo driver. *everyone gets pulled over*

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PhazonLink posted:

but this exit is my exit and if I don't take my exit I'll be temporarily, trivially inconvenienced

you just don't get it

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Also I'd like to believe that the blue truck driver toward the end is the best of the best.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Memento posted:

but this exit is my exit and if I don't take my exit I'll be temporarily, trivially inconvenienced

you just don't get it

ime it's usually not "I'll be inconvenienced" so much as "drivers who can't handle any amount of unexpected pressure and lock up/veer across 6 lanes of traffic like they're some sort of badly-programmed AI that expects the car to detonate if they miss this specific turn/exit". (it may or may not also involve drivers who have no sense of direction, miss their exit and end up 2 states over from where they meant to be, which happened to someone in one of my classes in high school)

I've known multiple people like this. Thankfully in the age of smartphones, showing them poo poo like this and reinforcing "just take the next exit, find a place to pull over and google maps your way from there" tends (generally) to solve the issue.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PhazonLink posted:

probably someone driven idiotic through neglect or age following gps directions to the letter and not considering the reality of what they are currently doing

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

ime it's usually not "I'll be inconvenienced" so much as "drivers who can't handle any amount of unexpected pressure and lock up/veer across 6 lanes of traffic like they're some sort of badly-programmed AI that expects the car to detonate if they miss this specific turn/exit". (it may or may not also involve drivers who have no sense of direction, miss their exit and end up 2 states over from where they meant to be, which happened to someone in one of my classes in high school)

I've known multiple people like this. Thankfully in the age of smartphones, showing them poo poo like this and reinforcing "just take the next exit, find a place to pull over and google maps your way from there" tends (generally) to solve the issue.

2020 will have such treats for you

e: Tesla Autopilot v<current>+1: When encountering a thing it doesn't understand, it will slam on the brakes in the middle of a freeway instead of splattering it's potential Mars crewmember passenger across a divider, instead sharing the danger with everyone else on the road. This will be viewed as an improvement for some dumb reason. Also they still won't break 5k Model 3s/mo.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 8, 2018

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I live in Munich, and whenever there's traffic jams on the middle ring encircling the center (always) , Google maps will suggest some alternate routes to you as usual.

Since moving to Munich, I've discovered that not just a few, but a lot of them are supremely illegal.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I live in Munich, and whenever there's traffic jams on the middle ring encircling the center (always) , Google maps will suggest some alternate routes to you as usual.

Since moving to Munich, I've discovered that not just a few, but a lot of them are supremely illegal.

Yes. I've had a similar thing happen in the Netherlands. Roads that are closed certain hours of the day. Google doesn't know and just routes you over them.

Tomtom is supposed to have much more detailed information about that, but I haven't used their products in years because it costs money.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yes. I've had a similar thing happen in the Netherlands. Roads that are closed certain hours of the day. Google doesn't know and just routes you over them.

Tomtom is supposed to have much more detailed information about that, but I haven't used their products in years because it costs money.

Navigon is supposed to as well. I’ve pretty much gone back to it, because I can’t trust Google Maps or Apple Maps anymore.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

boner confessor posted:

probably someone driven idiotic through neglect or age following gps directions to the letter and not considering the reality of what they are currently doing

Rewatch that gif and look in the upper right hand corner.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

A crane in St. Petersburg dropped to the ground, a couple of people probably need to scrape their drawers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTYhRYCbPdk

Oh wait, you mean St. Petersburg, Florida. Disappointing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Nenonen posted:

Oh wait, you mean St. Petersburg, Florida. Disappointing.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's no need for a crane in St. Petersburg, Russia. To get to a roof there you get a bucket and a shovel, and wait for a low tide.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/ctTNrCp.mp4

The video this is from is here. I watched it all happen and I still don't understand the train of thought that went into causing it. Someone help me out here.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ctTNrCp.mp4

The video this is from is here. I watched it all happen and I still don't understand the train of thought that went into causing it. Someone help me out here.

siktir!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Memento posted:

I watched it all happen and I still don't understand the train of thought that went into causing it. Someone help me out here.

Is that...a floating excavator?

(well, at least an attempt at one)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Memento posted:

I watched it all happen and I still don't understand the train of thought that went into causing it. Someone help me out here.

The driver established dominance so the excavator rolled over and exposed its belly to him, happens all the time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Memento posted:

I think he was trying to grab onto the bottom of the river and push himself to the opposite shore.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Charles posted:

I think he was trying to grab onto the bottom of the river and push himself to the opposite shore.

no no no

I understand the actions they were taking

I just don't understand why

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If I had to guess it's an amphibious excavator they repaired the track compartments on and they were taking it for a test drive (float?) it didn't work and one side got swamped. Amphibious excavator tracks are sealed and move in and out to give it buoyancy, usually.

Edit: also for deep water and heavier machines they put extra floats on on sides of the tracks and that one didn't have them.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Because youtube and trying to prove a drunken boast

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Guyver posted:

amphibious excavator

Well TIL that was a thing. That actually goes a long way towards explaining it!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Johnny Aztec posted:

Rewatch that gif and look in the upper right hand corner.

What am I looking for in the upper right hand corner?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/8GYSZSS.mp4

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Zesty posted:

What am I looking for in the upper right hand corner?

The country it takes place in.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Indian runaway train takes 1,000 passengers on engineless journey

Twenty two carriages roll out of control for seven miles in Odisha state before being stopped by rocks placed on track.
India’s railway ministry said a “ghastly” accident had narrowly been avoided after 22 passenger carriages carrying about 1,000 people became detached from a train engine and sped backwards for miles before being stopped.
The runaway carriages rolled for seven miles in the north-eastern state of Odisha before being brought to a shuddering halt by rocks placed on the tracks by railway staff.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/NqUfqRq.gifv

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Straight out of Grand Theft Auto.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853708

Goon with a rotting roof and maybe a meth lab.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Props to that guy staying put at the light instead of letting the pedestrian get instagibbed.

(I know he wasn't looking at the mirror but still)

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Memento posted:

a failed river fording

There's an Oregon Trail joke here.

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 8, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The automation thread closed before I found and could post this, but it feels too good to sit on.

https://i.imgur.com/sdapk1h.jpg

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

shame on an IGA posted:

Props to that guy staying put at the light instead of letting the pedestrian get instagibbed.

(I know he wasn't looking at the mirror but still)

The pedestrian almost got the props. :downsrim:

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Time for my home town to shine!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He broke his legs on the rocks didnt he

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Ferrari mechanic suffers broken leg

quote:

A Ferrari team mechanic has been hospitalised with a broken leg after being struck by Kimi Raikkonen's car during a botched tyre change at the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Raikkonen came in for his second tyre change of the race after 36 of 57 laps and was given the green light to go despite work still continuing on the rear left tyre on Sunday (local time).

As the Ferrari driver pulled away, the tyre hit the leg of one of the mechanics, knocking him to the ground.

The tyre didn't "hit" the leg as much as "roll over it and then do a burnout on it". The mechanic was insanely out of position, he literally had his leg leaning against the grip face of the tyre.

https://i.imgur.com/WZ8vM9V.gifv

Putting up an :nms: tag, don't click unless you want to see his left shin go all floppy.

Memento fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 9, 2018

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

this guy pulled it off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zHLcnXZNqc

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The plane was trying to take off though. I think someone tried to steal it. The tail was almost dragging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charles posted:

The plane was trying to take off though. I think someone tried to steal it. The tail was almost dragging.

It certainly wasn't operating at full power or ability. Something like that should be able to take off in that distance. Joy ride/drunk would explain it.

Memento posted:

Ferrari mechanic suffers broken leg

The tyre didn't "hit" the leg as much as "roll over it and then do a burnout on it". The mechanic was insanely out of position, he literally had his leg leaning against the grip face of the tyre.

https://i.imgur.com/WZ8vM9V.gifv

Putting up an :nms: tag, don't click unless you want to see his left shin go all floppy.

If his counterpart on the other side means anything he was in the correct position to do what he was doing. Seems like a case of GOGOGO. They didn't even get a chance to take the nuts off let alone change it or to say there was an issue.