Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Katana Gomai posted:

If there's only one ban, it'll be attune, if there's two, it'll be attune+rogue refiner. There won't be more than two.

I think they'd ban Ramunap Ruins over Rogue Refiner, if they're gonna ban anything besides Attune.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

That card was completely warping the format. Scarab isn't doing that.

It’s in half the top decks/remains good even if Hub gets banned and they just printed a 4 drop it’s insane with, give it a bit

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I feel like whatever they ban won't make standard any better.

Rivals couldn't be more boring.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Is the goatsucker a 4-of in a deck that also includes the Scarab God? I kind of think it is.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Is the goatsucker a 4-of in a deck that also includes the Scarab God? I kind of think it is.

It’s a small body valueman that shares a colour

It absolutely is

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

It's 100% a 3 or 4 of in Scarab God decks, yeah. They go so well together it's kind of disgusting.

Makes me wish a deck with Shriekmaw and Scarab God was modern viable...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The Shortest Path posted:

I think they'd ban Ramunap Ruins over Rogue Refiner, if they're gonna ban anything besides Attune.

Banning just Attune isn't enough to kill Energy. Refiner needs to go too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The high price on Scarab God is the only thing keeping me from building an EDH deck with it, so please don't ban it and tank the price Wizards.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Attune with Aether is banned.
Rogue Refiner is banned.
Rampaging Ferocidon is banned.
Ramunap Ruins is banned.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-15-2018-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2018-01-15

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Woo. Nobody saw ferocidon coming.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tainen posted:

Rogue Refiner is banned.
Ramunap Ruins is banned.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-15-2018-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2018-01-15

Rampaging Ferocidon is banned? what?

:laffo: Too good for standard? :laffo:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
All hail the Scarab God!

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Jesus Christ. They really wanted Red to go away too.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

quote:

```The cards we considered taking action against were Ramunap Ruins, Rampaging Ferocidon, Earthshaker Khenra, Ahn-Crop Crasher, Bomat Courier, and Hazoret the Fervent.

Ramunap Ruins adds a lot of "invisible power" to the deck, often acting as a virtual reduction to the opponent's starting life total. It also provides a high level of inevitability in matchups that go long, such as against the blue-black control decks popular at last year's World Championship (which have since fallen out of favor, in part because of this). Without Ramunap Ruins, the general play pattern of the deck remains largely the same, but the deck will lose some amount of the free win percentage that this land contributed.```

quote:

```For many players, Rampaging Ferocidon is likely to be the most surprising of the cards we're taking action against. After all, many Ramunap Red decks don't play four copies in their main deck. However, in analyzing the evolution of the metagame over time as well as contrasting pre- and post-sideboard game win percentages, we have determined this to be one of the cards that most discourages and invalidates counterplay against the deck. It's worth noting that Rampaging Ferocidon was designed at a time when Saheeli Rai–Felidar Guardian decks were coming to dominance in the real world, in part to counter those decks```

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Rampaging Ferocidon is banned? what?

:laffo: Too good for standard? :laffo:

That is a weird ban. It's just a 3/3 guy. But they have definitely killed Red.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Scarab god will be 80 bucks tomorrow.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah I would have given pretty high fake money odds if someone wanted to put a dark dino-horse bet on Ferocidon WTH??

Heh, I was going to pick up a few as a sideboard plan against this hidden stockpile/annointed procession/Servo spam pile that's somewhat prevalent locally, glad I didn't bother getting them yet.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

"Ahn-Crop Crasher"

:eyepop:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Man, they have banned a lot of cards in Standard over the last 1.5 years or so

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hot Take: Dino guy was only banned because they wanted to push the Sphinx. They can't say that, though, so we get this bullshit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Toshimo posted:

Hot Take: Dino guy was only banned because they wanted to push the Sphinx. They can't say that, though, so we get this bullshit.

What Sphinx? Azor?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

Man, they have banned a lot of cards in Standard over the last 1.5 years or so

Almost as if WotC has realized that instead of printing good answers they can just ban all the good cards!

And yet Scarab God remains because he sells packs.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Someone do a custom Star of Extinction alt art with Ferocidon in the foreground.

I would but I'm just the ideas guy.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

What Sphinx? Azor?

Cause dino guy seems like a horrible card against a UW control shell (unless you were envisioning Azor elsewhere)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Tainen posted:

Rogue Refiner is banned.
Ramunap Ruins is banned.

Wow, they are really cratering the hell out of standard. I just uhhh vampires and merfolk might be competitive now? Or will it just be all midrange, all the time?

Dominaria better be a goddamn amazing set.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Wow, they are really cratering the hell out of standard. I just uhhh vampires and merfolk might be competitive now? Or will it just be all midrange, all the time?

Dominaria better be a goddamn amazing set.

Whatever shell works best with scarab god or if new red cards make mono red still good enough.

Don't get your hopes up over dominaria. The same folks who made standard a shitpile made dominaria too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh wait I cracked a Ferocidon at the IXN prerelease, I hope I traded it off already.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Whatever shell works best with scarab god or if new red cards make mono red still good enough.

Don't get your hopes up over dominaria. The same folks who made standard a shitpile made dominaria too.

Ruins was the best card in the deck lol

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Finally, this banning has put my trust back in standard and I'll get back into its tourname ahahaha

Can they just officially announce that Standard rotates every 6 months now? Because that's the longest you'll get to play your deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
looking forward to nearly two full weeks of "no really, standard is good now" before the meta is 49% Scarab God Midrange Hell and 49% U/W Approach

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 15, 2018

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
This format is low-energy.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

quote:

the environment has been dominated for several months by two archetypes: Temur Energy and Ramunap Red. Together these two archetypes represent more than 40% of the competitive metagame

I guess that sounds better than admitting that Energy was more than 50% of the meta.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
also they moved up the release date of the core set by a week
https://magic.wizards.com/articles/archive/news/core-set-2019-release-date-changed-2018-01-15

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

quote:

However, in analyzing the evolution of the metagame over time as well as contrasting pre- and post-sideboard game win percentages, we have determined this to be one of the cards that most discourages and invalidates counterplay against the deck.

Well I suppose that's fair. It's a shame that there's literally zero ways they could print that somehow "remove" a 3/3 creature. Nope, just got to ban it because creatures can only die from blocking other creatures.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Attorney at Funk posted:

:golfclap:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

Well I suppose that's fair. It's a shame that there's literally zero ways they could print that somehow "remove" a 3/3 creature. Nope, just got to ban it because creatures can only die from blocking other creatures.

How the hell did Goblin Rabblemaster survive 2 years lol

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Mono-black aggro maybe is viable? It won a 300+ tournament pre-RIX (in the Philippines), and it has tools to fight Approach and Scarab God. Also chupacabra.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=17713&d=309728&f=ST

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Attorney at Funk posted:

Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Ruins was the best card in the deck lol

It was a good card in the deck but give me a break.