Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

When contacted in 1999 by The Village Voice the public relations director of Hitachi, Gerry Corbett, emphasized the original intent of their product: "Clearly, [the Magic Wand] is a straightforward product. There are no implications of anything beyond standard health-care use."[54][55]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Hitachi executives assisted financing the production of chocolates in the shape of the massager in 1992, in honor of the 15-year anniversary of the sex shop Good Vibrations. Subsequently, the company asserted in 1999 its sole intended use was for health care purposes.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
The Tennessee Aquarium in the United States is home to an electric eel that uses its electrical discharges to post from its own Twitter account. Named Miguel Wattson, the eel's exhibit is wired to a small computer that sends out a prewritten tweet when it emits electricity at a high enough threshold.[15][16]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lol if you haven't been following @eelectricmiguel for years

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Sagebrush posted:

shocking

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Out of pure curiosity I checked and it turns out that yea I have been following that eel for years.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Hello there, every computer science page i read

Thanks for the weird formula with no context as to what it means, though - those are always helpful

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

otoh any cs page which goes into details on wikipedia is wrong

it might be that cs is my area of expertise and in fact the above is true for any field, but i am sort of hoping that this is the usual reflection of nerds being very poor at recognizing their own limitations

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

but i am sort of hoping that this is the usual reflection of nerds being very poor at recognizing their own limitations

this is it, mostly. understanding a thing and communicating a thing, while linked, require fundamentally different skills.

accurate simplification in order to explain complex things to laypeople is very hard

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

teaching a thing to a person probably requires just as much empathy as it does expertise in the thing being explained

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
The prank is sometimes renamed to adjust for deck sizes other than 52

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Internet_trolling

here's a fun activity: read through these articles and count how many of the people referenced in them that you have interacted with, personally, online :thumbsup:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

here's a fun activity: read through these articles and count how many of the people referenced in them that you have interacted with, personally, online :thumbsup:

no, don't,

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

exactly

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Welp, this page is poo poo.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
This meaning originates from the observation that most shithouses are rather ramshackle affairs constructed of plywood or scrap sheets of steel. For those in need, and in inclement weather, certainly a brick shithouse would be a welcome sight.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
(I'm the lack of a [citation needed])

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Soricidus posted:

The prank is sometimes renamed to adjust for deck sizes other than 52

How did you find yourself reading the wiki page for 52 pick up

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

theflyingorc posted:

wanna play a new web game?

*drops a bunch of wikipedia urls*

i call it 52 link clickup

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i know chuck c johnson but only because everyone made fun of him for making GBS threads on the floor in college

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Lutha Mahtin posted:

im https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hit-and-run_posting

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

I was looking up actual card games and the link was there

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Soricidus posted:

I was looking up actual card games and the link was there

that's not as fun as you desperately needing information about 52 pickup

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
If you want to make your own necropants (literally; nábrók) you have to get permission from a living man to use his skin after his death.

After he has been buried you must dig up his body and flay the skin of the corpse in one piece from the waist down. As soon as you step into the pants they will stick to your own skin. A coin must be stolen from a poor widow and placed in the scrotum along with the magical sign, nábrókarstafur, written on a piece of paper. Consequently the coin will draw money into the scrotum so it will never be empty, as long as the original coin is not removed. To ensure salvation the owner has to convince someone else to take ownership of the pants and step into each leg as soon as he gets out of it. The necropants will thus keep the money-gathering nature for generations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

beautiful

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

im the hit-and-run crime on auto vehicles

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unusually_shaped_vegetable

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Typical examples of motley crews are pirates, college fraternities, Western posses, rag-tag mercenary bands, freedom fighters, and IT support teams.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Typical examples of motley crews are pirates, college fraternities, Western posses, rag-tag mercenary bands, freedom fighters, and IT support teams.

:catstare: go on

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

atari; base; bazooka; beamers; beemers; bebe; bee-bee; berry; bing; bolo; bomb; boulder; boulders; butter; caine; cane; Casper; Casper the ghost; cavvy; chemical; chewies; cloud; cloud nine; crills; crunch and munch; dip; famous dimes; fan; fish scale; fries; fry; glo; golfball; gravel; grit; hail; hamburger; helper; hubba; ice cube; kangaroo; kibbles and bits; kibbles; krills; lightem; paste; patico; pebbles; pee wee; pony; raw; ready; ready rocks; redi rocks; roca; rock; rooster; rox; Roxanne; scud; Scotty; scramble; scruples; seven-up; sherm; sherms; sleet; snowballs; stones; teeth; tension; top gun; tweak; ultimate; wash; white cloud; work; yahoo; yay; yayoo; yeah-O; yeyo; yeo; yuck

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

FrozenVent posted:

If you want to make your own necropants

not useless /jingles nutsack

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/627/513/427/have-hatsune-miku-perform-for-the-super-bowl-51-halftime-show-in-2017/

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

:catstare:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
nice of 618 people to put themselves on a list :unsmigghh:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

I generally prefer to watch human beings instead of a computer-generated image, but.... I agree very much with the idea here. Yes, there has been too much "over the top" items at halftime shows in the past several years. Increasingly the halftime shows are not "family friendly" entertainment. So yes to having Hatsune Miku as the halftime performer! No worries of wardrobe malfunctions or any personal controversies. Make the halftime show fun for families again.

lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I want that to occur just to see the reaction from the drunken superfans at the stadium

it'd be like when ESPN started airing the league of legends championships

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sagebrush posted:

I want that to occur just to see the reaction from the drunken superfans at the stadium

it'd be like when ESPN started airing the league of legends championships

i don't think they allow superfans at the super bowl. they give all the tickets to corporations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

On June 3, 1958, the USS Nautilus, the world's first nuclear submarine, visited Everett and Seattle. In Seattle, crewmen dressed in civilian clothing were sent in to secretly buy 140 quarts of an automotive product containing sodium silicate (originally identified as Stop Leak) to repair a leaking condenser system. The Nautilus was en route to the North Pole on a top secret mission to cross the North Pole submerged.[18]