Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

tuyop posted:

Lets you keep your battery at the ~optimum~ resting voltage and discharge level. Based on the way lithium-ion batteries work, this improves battery life (this is why the battery on your aunt's computer who never unplugs it is loving shot after a year).

Yes it is true that lithium batteries will last longer if you can keep them at medium charge (and not hot) all the time, but you aren't going to ruin a modern MacBook battery in a year by leaving the computer plugged into the charger all the time. I'm at about 2.5 years on this late 2013 15" rMBP and it's been left plugged in a ton. When I take it off the charger, it usually doesn't discharge below 90% before getting plugged back in. Maybe once every month (that might be optimistic) I remember to be a good boy and take it off the charger until it forces itself to sleep. 177 charge cycles, with 97% of original rated capacity remaining.

(I should add that when I bought it new, it was at like 110% of rated capacity, which was cool. It lost most of the extra capacity over ~6 months, and since then it's been fairly stable with a very slow decline.)

Stuff like the tape trick is dumb don't do that just be a normal person and use the computer and drain the battery now and then. I'm not even sure how the tape trick is supposed to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Krakkles posted:

Ah, nuts. Is there any device that will directly connect wirelessly (I guess Bluetooth or Wifi) with a MBP to project the screen?

(I say "the screen" because it can be just about anything ... except a chrome tab. Mostly Powerpoint, Word Docs, Excel, and Internet Explorer.)

I've been trying to find something as well but I've just settled for really long (30ft) hdmi and vga cords in my presentation kit. I have a Bluetooth speaker for videos. Sucks but oh well.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Is it possible to use a Google Chromecast as a HDMI projector connection?

I use an rMBP for work, and I need to project frequently, on projectors that are in random different (often poorly planned) locations. I'd love to be able to plug in a chromecast, connect my laptop to it wirelessly, and display on the projector via that.

The thought occurred to me while looking for wireless HDMI connectors, and I have no idea if it would work.
You could get a cheap 2nd or 3rd-gen Apple TV.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You could get a cheap 2nd or 3rd-gen Apple TV.
Will that connect directly, or does it have the Wifi issue that tuyop mentioned for the Chromecast? I didn't even think of it until he mentioned it, but these are often facilities with really lovely networks, as well.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My 5 year old air is still reporting 75% design capacity after nearly 300 cycles and no dicking about to keep the battery at any specific percentage, or make sure it's not left empty etc. I'll take that.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Will that connect directly, or does it have the Wifi issue that tuyop mentioned for the Chromecast? I didn't even think of it until he mentioned it, but these are often facilities with really lovely networks, as well.
Peer-to-peer AirPlay is enabled on third-gen Apple TVs and newer iOS and Mac devices. You don't need to worry about existing lovely Wi-Fi infrastructure.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Peer-to-peer AirPlay is enabled on third-gen Apple TVs and newer iOS and Mac devices. You don't need to worry about existing lovely Wi-Fi infrastructure.

Does it broadcast through an ad hoc network or Bluetooth or what?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Can anyone recommend a printer that works with PCs, iPads and iPhones? I'm looking for something my mom and grandma can use, so it has to be relatively simple and on the smaller side. Price range is about $100-$200, and printing photos is a plus but not necessary.

Edit: I'm also looking for an external hard drive for my iPad. I've found a few wireless options, including this one: http://www.seagate.com/products/media-video-storage/home-media-storage/wireless/

I'm curious if there are other options available or if this is the way to go.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 13, 2016

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

tuyop posted:

Does it broadcast through an ad hoc network or Bluetooth or what?

Probably uses a combination of both (Bluetooth to help set up the ad-hoc).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

mediaphage posted:

Probably uses a combination of both (Bluetooth to help set up the ad-hoc).
This.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Verisimilidude posted:

Can anyone recommend a printer that works with PCs, iPads and iPhones? I'm looking for something my mom and grandma can use, so it has to be relatively simple and on the smaller side. Price range is about $100-$200, and printing photos is a plus but not necessary.

My mum was in a similar boat, so I bought her one of these Samsung lasers. Pretty cheap, small, has AirPrint. Can't do photos naturally because it's a b&w laser but it means you won't be cursing inkjet refills when it's only been used 5 times and the inks dried out.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Verisimilidude posted:

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-printer/

If you don't mind B&W I highly recommend the Brother laser printers. I have the 2380 with touchscreen and scanner; I got the 2340 mentioned by Wirecutter for my parents. Both pretty much Just Work with PCs, Macs, and iOS devices. Plug in it, connect to wifi, and you're done.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Thirding a B&W laser printer, and just sending grandma to CVS when she wants to print color photos.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

MrChupon posted:

Thirding a B&W laser printer, and just sending grandma to CVS when she wants to print color photos.

I investigated this a while back and found that Walgreens has a killer iPhone app. You upload your photo and can pick which Walgreens in your area will print it, and go pick it up in a couple of hours. It's surprisingly good. They even have poo poo like wood to print on.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I have an ssd from an early 2014 MacBook Air. I wanted to put it in a late 2013 iMac that has an pciessd slot and fuse it with the regular drive already inside. Does anyone know if the ssd from the air would work in the iMac? I can't find any info online. Thanks.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It should but are you sure the iMac has the slot? I remember seeing pictures of iMacs ordered with regular hard drives not having the connector on the PCB

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Any idea what kind of dGPU the next MBPs will have? With Apple's complete lack of emphasis on discrete graphics it will probably only be an incremental upgrade to the current AMD card right?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

terre packet posted:

Any idea what kind of dGPU the next MBPs will have? With Apple's complete lack of emphasis on discrete graphics it will probably only be an incremental upgrade to the current AMD card right?

It'll be not great but not awful.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

terre packet posted:

Any idea what kind of dGPU the next MBPs will have?

Lol, nobody has any clue.

terre packet posted:

With Apple's complete lack of emphasis on discrete graphics it will probably only be an incremental upgrade to the current AMD card right?

Possibly. Or they could just as easily swing back to NVidia. Or they could just as easily drop dGPUs in their portables altogether.

Apple chose AMD for the MBP last year and have gone with their chips in the desktop lineup for a bit longer so it's arguably more likely that the next rMBP will stick with them too- but you really have about as good a chance of guessing by pulling possible outcomes out of a hat as you do by asking us.

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

It should but are you sure the iMac has the slot? I remember seeing pictures of iMacs ordered with regular hard drives not having the connector on the PCB

The EMC for my model has it's pretty insane getting to the slot. I may just boot off an SSD in a USB 3 enclosure. Thanks

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
If I purchase an external HD to backup my MBP by using Time Machine, will I still be able to use that external to backup other miscellaneous files if I choose to do so or will it be strictly locked to Time Machine backups only?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You can partition the drive so that you can use it for time machine and normal storage !

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Has anyone on here ever bought used rMBPs from B&H photo? I'm thinking about doing it, but want to make sure it'd be fairly reliable if I'll be trading off not having an Apple warranty.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

yoyomama posted:

Has anyone on here ever bought used rMBPs from B&H photo? I'm thinking about doing it, but want to make sure it'd be fairly reliable if I'll be trading off not having an Apple warranty.

How much are you saving over refurb? I dunno how comfortable I'd be buying any sort of used MacBook when you consider the sort of stuff that gets replaced/cleaned up during Apple's refurbishment process that you may not be getting with even a really clean used computer.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008

Electric Bugaloo posted:

How much are you saving over refurb? I dunno how comfortable I'd be buying any sort of used MacBook when you consider the sort of stuff that gets replaced/cleaned up during Apple's refurbishment process that you may not be getting with even a really clean used computer.

I'd save about $500 for a mid-2014 15" with 512 SSD. That said, I'm thinking of just getting something with 256 instead of 512; I need the space, but the cost makes it hard to find a good price.

Edit: Nevermind, I ended up finding a deal on an Apple refurbished model. Thanks for the advice, I definitely feel more comfortable buying an Apple refurb than used.

yoyomama fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 16, 2016

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

yoyomama posted:

I'd save about $500 for a mid-2014 15" with 512 SSD. That said, I'm thinking of just getting something with 256 instead of 512; I need the space, but the cost makes it hard to find a good price.

Edit: Nevermind, I ended up finding a deal on an Apple refurbished model. Thanks for the advice, I definitely feel more comfortable buying an Apple refurb than used.

Good call. Apple aims to make their refurbs practically indistinguishable from new machines both physically and in terms of warranty and coverage.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Good call. Apple aims to make their refurbs practically indistinguishable from new machines both physically and in terms of warranty and coverage.

My 2009 MBP was refurbished and it's still going strong.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah Apples own refurbs are the gold standard. I think B&H are big enough that I'd blind trust them. Them, and Adorama, are the two big names in camera gear sales. They're super established.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
B&H are a big competitor to Best Buy in the Mac market as well.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe in online sales but B&H only has one retail location.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Eh 17 year old kid said they price match a lot from them.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, I generally trust B&H, but I figured I'd take the 256 GB Apple refurbished one I found on OWC than take a chance on a used one from them. My current laptop is refurbished as well and it's been holding up great for the last 1.5 years, so I've got no worries. But if I could afford a new laptop, I'd definitely go with B&H or Adorama over Apple.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Anyone tried the Roost? 80 bucks is a lot when I'm thinking of just printing a stand, but my printed one probably won't adjust height or pack flat. :ohdear:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

tuyop posted:

Anyone tried the Roost? 80 bucks is a lot when I'm thinking of just printing a stand, but my printed one probably won't adjust height or pack flat. :ohdear:

$80 is also a lot for something that looks like a baby gate turned into a laptop stand.

I will say the concept of the product is solid though. I've been using the mDesign Rain Stand for years. But it's not adjustable and can't keep your kid from crawling up the stairs.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

That is hideous

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

I'm currently using a $15 plastic monstrosity from Staples. It weighs too much, can't pack down (though it adjusts height), and takes up about 1.5sq feet on my desk so aesthetics aren't really my main concern. I need something I can put in my bag and carry to and from work to plug my MBA into a second monitor.

Our home "office" is also an unholy collection of ikea furniture, repainted but chipping literal garbage, and used monitors so it's important that we don't upset the "work cave" aesthetic.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010
Got a new job, they're giving me a macbook pro 2015. I've never used a mac before. Is there like anything I desperately need to know?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Minimalist Program posted:

Is there like anything I desperately need to know?

Yes.

Minimalist Program
Aug 14, 2010

Alright cool, thanks man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Minimalist Program posted:

Alright cool, thanks man!

If you're really concerned, look on YouTube for some Window/OS X differences.

You're going to hate it at first. After a couple days things will start to click, and by the end of the week you'll no longer notice.