Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Look out gang, here comes another new Bend brewery :holymoley:

They had a tasting at one of the local pubs last night, and unlike a lot of new brewery debuts I think they are already pretty OK. Their stout was all chocolate roast and their IPA was really crisp and refreshing like how I remember All Day being on tap (and none of the other "session IPAs").

Still, I think we must surely be at the point where we have enough breweries around this region at this point, hype aside. I mean, the local beer week kicks off Friday with a single-hop, single-malt beer fest, all with beer provided by central OR brewers (1 beer each) and there's still 17 different entries.

Speaking of which I'm probably doing too much drinking for it not to be Central Oregon Beer Week yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
It's interesting with all the breweries that keep popping up in Portland, I can't think of many that have failed. Will be interesting to see if Bend can sustain all of theirs.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Look out gang, here comes another new Bend brewery :holymoley:

They had a tasting at one of the local pubs last night, and unlike a lot of new brewery debuts I think they are already pretty OK. Their stout was all chocolate roast and their IPA was really crisp and refreshing like how I remember All Day being on tap (and none of the other "session IPAs").

Still, I think we must surely be at the point where we have enough breweries around this region at this point, hype aside. I mean, the local beer week kicks off Friday with a single-hop, single-malt beer fest, all with beer provided by central OR brewers (1 beer each) and there's still 17 different entries.

Speaking of which I'm probably doing too much drinking for it not to be Central Oregon Beer Week yet...

I dunno dude. I keep thinking this about Fort Collins / Loveland but 2 breweries open each year like clockwork and they can't keep up with demand. Even the awful ones. Every time I think it's finally hit saturation, but nope. There's a bubble that will burst eventually but I don't think most markets are anywhere near it and won't be for years.

Bubblechat, commence.

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Docjowles posted:

Bubblechat, commence.

There's a hop shortage coming soon. With all the IPAs every brewery needs, agriculture hasn't kept pace.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Cointelprofessional posted:

There's a hop shortage coming soon. With all the IPAs every brewery needs, agriculture hasn't kept pace.

So IPA's are joining Bourbon as a product in huge demand which is unable to meet supply causing a shortage and making people even nuttier then they already were.

I really do hate this industry sometimes.

Though in IPA's defense, it at least isn't limited to a small region and is actually spread out throughout the country.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Docjowles posted:

I dunno dude. I keep thinking this about Fort Collins / Loveland but 2 breweries open each year like clockwork and they can't keep up with demand. Even the awful ones. Every time I think it's finally hit saturation, but nope. There's a bubble that will burst eventually but I don't think most markets are anywhere near it and won't be for years.

Bubblechat, commence.

A brewery actually did go out of business in Central Oregon, Phat Matt's in Redmond, but that's because it was chiefly a contract brewer space that lost all of its business after its clients got exasperated at their lack of quality control and terminated their contracts en masse. This in turn meant that some of the real small operations in this area disappeared until they set up OLCC-approved setups in their basements.

It is true that everyone else is still in business though. There are rumors about Brew Werks but I'm sure it's wishful thinking in part on the rumormongers. They are still the only brewery in Bend that make actively bad (i.e. not just bland but actively problematic) beer, but they have a nice restaurant space and they're on the ale trail map so they stick around.

The nation of Cascadia will finally be formed in order to charge heavy hop tariffs to the USA and we will be rich like Russia.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Midorka posted:

I disagree, but if you want to talk about a lovely Gose, Off Colour's Troublesome is poo poo. It's like a crappy American wheat they threw salt in.

It turns out that John Laffler kind of agrees with Midorka! At Beer Temple's CCBW event last night, he talked about the process to make Troublesome and called one of the blend beers "a lovely American wheat that I'd be embarrassed to release on its own." Or something like that.

It doesn't change the fact that the final product is a great loving beer, though.

Cointelprofessional posted:

At the same event (with Laffler and Bleitner of Off Color, Tom Korder of Penrose, and Phil Wymore of Perennial) they talked about "hops contracts" as being necessary now. Breweries are having to basically sign contracts for hop purchases well ahead of time because the farmers/vendors will no longer have things in stock at a moments notice. They stated that this wasn't a thing 3 years ago. So, yeah... It was brought up very early in the event that none of the three breweries represented have a regular IPA offering. In fact, only Perennial has brewed one (ten, actually) but only for their brewpub and events. All three gave the same answer when asked why no IPAs: market is clogged and why brew something that's going to sit on the shelf next to people who are already doing it better?

Overall, it was a nice, small event. Not as good as last year's wild ales/lambics/blending event, but still very interesting. They talked a lot about their processes and how they do secondary flavorings in beers. We "brewed" Perennial Hopfentea by literally taking their base Berliner and steeping a Taso tea bag in it. We did similar things with Penrose's Devoir and Off Color's new Berliner (Fierce). And I finally got to try DinoS'mores, which is excellent even though Bleitner hates it. Bleitner himself was the night's highlight. Dude is loving hilarious.

danbanana fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 22, 2014

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

danbanana posted:

It turns out that John Laffler kind of agrees with Midorka! At Beer Temple's CCBW event last night, he talked about the process to make Troublesome and called one of the blend beers "a lovely American wheat that I'd be embarrassed to release on its own." Or something like that.

It doesn't change the fact that the final product is a great loving beer, though.

Yeah they do say they blend it with a boring American wheat, and that's all that I taste along with a poo poo ton of salt.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Stone Sour Fest owns and the bottle share makes it all worth it. I've been twice and I live in Florida. I make it a priority to be in San Diego around that time of year when I can.

In bad Gose discussion, this small brewery and bar in Gainesville called Tall Pauls/Alligator Brewing made a sea salt Gose many years ago when they first opened. A bad enough idea when their style had little traction (I introduced their brewer to it with either Leipziger or Salt of them Earth) but then he went and used some kind of designer pink sea salt from Brazil or something. Tasted like the ocean it was so salty. Cannot even imagine how long it took them to sell that entire keg, if people were asking for tasters before buying.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Gose talk: Gose is gross in all of its forms. If I wanted to get drunk off of alcoholic seawater I'd just do tequila shots.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah I'm not a big fan of Goses since they dehydrate the poo poo out of you, but I got to try some Westbrooke Gose last week and it was alright. Don't think I could find myself regularly drinking it though.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

Night Shift tapped an Oyster Gose for their new taproom opening last night. Was definitely on the lemony tart side with a really slight brininess on finish. They're gonna try a couple variations with different oysters, the first used Wellfleets.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
Westbrook's Gose reminded me of a tequila-less, no-heartburn-generating, low abv margarita. I mean, not *exactly*, but it was what I thought of first, and this was coming from having absolutely no preconceptions about what I was about to taste. Putting aside how 'true' it is to style, in a bubble it's an easy drinker.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

"Dehydration" is mostly a huge Old Wives' Tale when it comes to soda, coffee, and salt. There's about a quarter of a gram of salt in a bottle of Gose which has little to no impact on the real cause of dehydration: it's loving alcohol. Alcohol inhibits Antidiuretic Hormone from being excreted by the pituitary gland, which causes net dehydration by causing you to excrete more water than you're consuming. Caffeine and salt are responsible for diuretic effects but *are not net dehydrators* in standard human consumption, because your water intake alongside the caffeine or salt is a higher quantity than the amount triggered for excretion by the diuretic. Having a tenth of your recommended daily salt intake in a Gose will not contribute in any meaningful way toward dehydration. :eng101:

Most importantly, Goses are loving delicious.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 22, 2014

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

a worthy uhh posted:

"Dehydration"

Now I can drink guilt-free!

As long as we're on :j:GOSE TALK:j: I wish I had the opportunity to try more of them. Here in mid-Missouri all I've had access to are Sam Adam's Verloren and a random homebrew gose (which was loving outstanding). I wish Westbrook or Off Color would send some out this way so I can decide if I actually enjoy the style or not. Like I said, the homebrew one was mindblowing but the Verloren was pretty forgettable.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Goons, I'm going to be in Nashville this weekend for a bachelor party. Any good bars down there with a decent beer selection, or is it mostly Bud/Miller/Coors/Shiner? Any breweries I should seek out, or avoid, down there? I won't have time to go bottle shopping.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Made a last second decision to take off work and drive down with a buddy to the Westbrook Mexican Cake release tomorrow. Gonna buy so much Gose as well! And some White Thai. And probably some more of pretty much everything they make. And some COAST 32/50.

Anyone been to House of Brews in Mt. Pleasent? Looks like they've got a good selection and are only 10 minutes from Westbrook, as opposed to getting into downtown Charleston on a Friday for the Beer Exchange.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

americanzero4128 posted:

Goons, I'm going to be in Nashville this weekend for a bachelor party. Any good bars down there with a decent beer selection, or is it mostly Bud/Miller/Coors/Shiner? Any breweries I should seek out, or avoid, down there? I won't have time to go bottle shopping.

A buddy gave me this when I passed through there, 2 years old though. Fast answer: go to Yazoo.

quote:

Where to drink:

The Patterson House – http://thepattersonnashville.com/ – mixology/speakeasy styled bar in Music Row area. Probably the best mixed drinks in the city.
Flying Saucer Draught Emporium – http://www.beerknurd.com/stores/nashville - Ft. Worth based beer bar franchise that has a great downtown location in Nashville (if you've been to one, it's all the same). DO NOT order liquor here; super overpriced to keep people drinking the beer.
12 South Taproom – http://12southtaproom.com/ - my current favorite beer bar in the city. They have other drinks too.
Winners/Losers – hilarious places to eat, drink, be merry in Midtown.
Tavern – http://mstreetnashville.com/tavern - aside from the best burger in town, they also have some great mixed drinks, beers, and liquors. Look for Corsair, the local distillery. Their Gin and Triple Smoke Whisky are both awesome.
Paradise Park Trailer Resort – http://paradiseparkonline.com – hilarious, intentionally ironic country bar with live music and trashy people who don’t get the joke. Worth going for a drink or two and dancing.
Demonbreun bars – lots of stuff on this little stretch. Great hang out, but be warned: DO NOT let people buy you drinks here. A number of my friends have been drugged, and we’re not sure if it was the people ordering or making the drinks who did it. Still, if you know that ahead of time, you’ll know what to avoid and can go here and have a lot of fun. Dan McGuinness, Tin Roof, and On the Rocks are here.
Bosco’s – see above – they make their own beers. Pretty fun spot.
Yazoo Brewing Company – http://www.yazoobrew.com – Nashville’s best brewery. Good place to start your night.
Any place with live music on Broadway – you’ll find the spot with the best sound, go in, have a drink, and have a blast. Especially recommend the Second Fiddle.
Rumba - http://rumbanashville.com/ - specialize in rums and Caribbean drinks. Fun and more classy than the beer joints.
The Big Bang - http://thebigbangbar.com/tn/nashville - fun piano bar where the pianists take requests and are more likely to play them if you paperclip a tip to your sheet. I’ve heard some awesome music here and the crowd is usually fully engaged. One of my favorites.
Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge – one of the city’s most famous downtown bars. Great live music and probably line dancing.
Wildhorse Saloon – pretty similar to Tootsie’s, but more like a club.
The Melrose – http://www.themelrose.net/ - really good pub scene. Nice bartenders and lots of different people to chat with.
Mafiaoza’s – pizza joint on 12 South with a great nighttime bar scene.
Corsair Taproom - http://corsairtaproom.com/ - former Yazoo facility. Serves only craft beers, mostly local (TN and bordering states)

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
LO event that looks really solid and won't be insanely packed!

http://localoptionbier.com/2014/05/19/the-day-after-beer-event-may-26th/

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...

danbanana posted:

LO event that looks really solid and won't be insanely packed!

http://localoptionbier.com/2014/05/19/the-day-after-beer-event-may-26th/

I like how they made it on Memorial Day no one has that day off right? Alas, I will be in NY and unable to be there with the horde that will descend on LO.

Also - is Surly Pentagram worth the $28 price tag?

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Compusaurus posted:

No. I've paid $18, and that was OK but I don't think I'd pay it again.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Heads up to anyone that missed out on Huna due to it running out before you could get some:

http://cigarcitybrewing.com/the-make-up-batch-of-hunahpus-imperial-stout-is-ready/?age-verified=5b5e509fe7

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Compusaurus posted:

I like how they made it on Memorial Day no one has that day off right? Alas, I will be in NY and unable to be there with the horde that will descend on LO.

Definitely not. I hope it has aged well because I was disappointed with the bottle I had last year, especially because I really liked Five.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

their lil poopers posted:

Heads up to anyone that missed out on Huna due to it running out before you could get some:

http://cigarcitybrewing.com/the-make-up-batch-of-hunahpus-imperial-stout-is-ready/?age-verified=5b5e509fe7

Coolio. Gonna get me some We're so Sorry Hunahpu!

FYAD SECRETARY
Aug 14, 2003

Anyone who like rye IPAs should try Green Flash's Road Warrior. I'm pretty sure it's a new offering from them. It seems to be pretty mosaic heavy and has a great balance between the rye and hop flavors. A little expensive, but worth buying a bomber or 4 pack if you see it around and like rye.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

cryme posted:

No. I've paid $18, and that was OK but I don't think I'd pay it again.

pretty much my assessment

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

http://www.inebriateinquirer.com/10-beers-10-pair-food-3/

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Pfft, Dogfish Head, bitchass contract brewers.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
that abv though.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Where's this from?

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

hellfaucet posted:

Where's this from?

Binny's Beverage Depot in Lincoln Park (Chicago) just opened a huge new tasting room, and the beer list is actually pretty drat good.

Quarterroys fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 23, 2014

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

This is my life. Nothing's better than pairing a 10 dollar DIPA bomber with a 40 cent packet of Shin Ramyun.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

They found E Coli in the Portland drinking water supply, so now we HAVE to drink beer. :v:

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I am going to drink a whole lot of Smuttynose Bouncy House this summer.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Shabadu posted:

I am going to drink a whole lot of Smuttynose Bouncy House this summer.

I really need to try this.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Last night was a growler night.

We went with Green Flash's Road Warrior (Palate Wrecker had just kicked).

Man, I could drink their IPAs all year long. I always forget about them.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
9 hours of driving yesterday was a little insane, especially since Westbrook lowered the allocation from 12 to 6 per person.

Avenged
Jun 9, 2005
Mexican cake is delicious. I wish I was within driving distance. Nice haul!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
Really want to try Mexican Cake, hoping it's easier to trade for once it hits distro.