Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Adam Vegas posted:

Shinies were in Pokemon from Gen 1. In fact that was the only gen where they were better than normal Pokemon (stat wise)

They were gen 2, couldn't be gen 1 because those were released before the Game Boy color. Be kind of weird to have a shiny in monochrome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's not a lot dragging Horizon Zero Dawn down but boy did I not need every single consumable I had on that little quickbar at once. It made selecting the actually useful potion at the moment a pain in the rear end to get to.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Tardcore posted:

They were gen 2, couldn't be gen 1 because those were released before the Game Boy color. Be kind of weird to have a shiny in monochrome

They had a sparkly star animation when the battle started in Gen 1.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Shiny Pokemon were not in Gen 1.

You could get Pokemon that, when traded to gen 2, were shiny, but there were not shinies in gen 1.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Shiny Pokemon were not in Gen 1.

You could get Pokemon that, when traded to gen 2, were shiny, but there were not shinies in gen 1.

You could trade Pokemon up from gen I to gen II :ssh:

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Nth Doctor posted:

You could trade Pokemon up from gen I to gen II :ssh:

You can't read :ssh:

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

On a related note, here's one of my favorite pokemon factoids - similar to how shinies in gen 2 would often have (slightly) better stats than non-shinies, gender was ALSO determined by stats. Pokemon with an attack IV (a randomized hidden attack stat modifier) above a certain point would be male, and those with a lower attack IV would be female. In other words, male pokemon were strictly BETTER than female pokemon - especially ones that were remotely reliant on the attack stat. Gender became detached from stats in gen III, so they avoided any real controversy. Ostensibly, the reason they needed gender to rely on IVs was because gender didn't exist in gen I, so gender had to be based on something that DID exist in gen I so that pokemon could be transferred over. Still weird they decided to base it on how high the attack stat was, instead of just doing a "mod 2" check or something. Guess they really wanted to save that space!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I mean, there must be some kind of dark sorcery going on to get the Pokemon games to fit on a Gameboy cart, so it doesn't surprise me that they didn't want to waste an extra byte or whatever on anything like that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

RyokoTK posted:

I mean, there must be some kind of dark sorcery going on to get the Pokemon games to fit on a Gameboy cart, so it doesn't surprise me that they didn't want to waste an extra byte or whatever on anything like that.

They could have added up all the stats and then checked even or odd

Dammit Nintendo how are you so consistently wrong about sex and gender poo poo

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Its no joke, the fact that gen 1 and 2 largely work as intended is basically a miracle.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Anyone who hasn't read the Pokemon Blue LP really should.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RagnarokAngel posted:

Its no joke, the fact that gen 1 and 2 largely work as intended is basically a miracle.

RagnarokAngel posted:

The oddly specific ways to break them to dupe items and the like is similarly amazing. Man, I remember having my stack of a shitzillion rare candies that couldn't be displayed properly in the inventory.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Adam Vegas posted:

Shinies were in Pokemon from Gen 1. In fact that was the only gen where they were better than normal Pokemon (stat wise)

Gen 1 was on the original gameboy and thus didn't have color, no shinies. What you might be thinking of is the pokerus virus which is a weird thing I can't even begin to explain because I've never understood it.

Shinies were added into gen 2 and it was a really big deal because oh man, check out that red gyarados. Isn't that weird? You'll probably never hear about that again until you randomly see a green loving unown and murder it because it's just yet another unown and you've seen so many of those you hate them more than zubats by now.

Somfin posted:

Wasn't there a point where nidoqueen and nidoking couldn't breed with one another?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shinies in Gen II were determined by a specific combination of stats which was slightly above average but far from the best.

The reason they didn't determine gender by a strict even/odd comparison was because gender ratios could be skewed from 50/50

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Nuebot posted:

Wasn't there a point where nidoqueen and nidoking couldn't breed with one another?

Nidoqueens and Nidorinas are actually barren and can't breed at all.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Somfin posted:

Even if they did base it on odd/even or something you'd still have one gender be better than the other. If the IVs are 0 through 15, then whichever gender is odd numbers would be better on average and the only one that can have max stats (on top of being more complicated to handle pokemon with a gender ration other than 50/50)

There's no solution that let them keep compatibility with Gen 1 that didn't involve tying gender to stats in some way. I think we can cut them some slack seeing as how they moved away from it as soon as they were able to give gender its own variable.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
I got Batman: Arkham Knight since it was on sale this week and holy poo poo I hate how the identity of the Arkham Knight is so obvious.

I somehow avoided spoilers waiting for the PC version to get fixed and for it to go on sale and I figured out the Arkham Knight was Jason Todd in I think the first cutscene where he and Batman meet up. He's all "OLD MAN" and says to his troops "I KNOW HOW HE WORKS" and like Dick Grayson and Tim Drake are accounted for in the Arkham Games so it's CLEARLY Jason Todd.

Every cutscene where Batman is like "Alfred, cross reference the information we have on everybody I've ever fought to narrow down who the Knight is," makes Batman look like a total dipstick. World's Greatest Detective indeed.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, it's mainly because his MO is too different from the rest of the rogues gallery - cross referencing with Arkham inmates makes no sense, and his blackgate villains just don't have the build, the resources, or the drive to do anything so elaborate - the only person that would have the former two is Roman Sionis but he wouldn't want to use a disguise that wasn't the Black Mask because he'd want to word out that Black Mask killed Batman.

The Arkham lot are too specific in their behaviours - Pamela would never use tech, Harley is too erratic for long term planning, the only one with the resources, brains and drive to pull it off would have been Bane, who has a history of trying to make Batman suffer, but his addiction to his Venom means he'll never not be built like a brick shithouse.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

samu3lk posted:

I got Batman: Arkham Knight since it was on sale this week and holy poo poo I hate how the identity of the Arkham Knight is so obvious.

I somehow avoided spoilers waiting for the PC version to get fixed and for it to go on sale and I figured out the Arkham Knight was Jason Todd in I think the first cutscene where he and Batman meet up. He's all "OLD MAN" and says to his troops "I KNOW HOW HE WORKS" and like Dick Grayson and Tim Drake are accounted for in the Arkham Games so it's CLEARLY Jason Todd.

Every cutscene where Batman is like "Alfred, cross reference the information we have on everybody I've ever fought to narrow down who the Knight is," makes Batman look like a total dipstick. World's Greatest Detective indeed.

The fact that Batman is suddenly haunted by Jason Todd's long-ago death out of nowhere after not thinking about it at all in any of the past 3 games was another huge giveaway.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While I know they can't just up and give out the reveal during the promotional campaign for the game, it was pretty annoying that they claimed the Arkham Knight was a new original character.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

muscles like this! posted:

While I know they can't just up and give out the reveal during the promotional campaign for the game, it was pretty annoying that they claimed the Arkham Knight was a new original character.

They pretty obviously wanted to use Red Hood but then they realised that fans already knew that Jason Todd was the red hood but THEN changed absolutely nothing beside the name

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

samu3lk posted:

The interpretation I had, even if it's not really actually supported by the game was that Batman almost instantly knew it was Jason on some level, but was subconsciously denying it because he didn't want to think about how badly he failed him. I think it mostly fits with how Batman's basically having a mental breakdown over the night but really it's just bad writing.

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

The fact that Batman is suddenly haunted by Jason Todd's long-ago death out of nowhere after not thinking about it at all in any of the past 3 games was another huge giveaway.

I haven't beaten the game yet and I just got to the part where Batman and Robin are in the movie studio. Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

I dislike the fact that Fire Emblem: Fates nerfed the pair-up system from Awakening, and also that children are determined by the father instead of the mother for some reason.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
The best thing about that twist in Arkham Knight is that people figured it out right away about two whole years before release and Rocksteady were saying "no no no, it's someone else entirely, an original character". And then it turns out it wasn't.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Wasn't the game in development right around the same time that DC was pushing that character as hard as possible for some inexplicable reason?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It should've just been Clayface.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RareAcumen posted:

It should've just been Clayface.

nah, they did that already

did Hush return in knight? story might have worked if there were more red herrings (heh) strewn about like someone from the league of assassins or the court of owls were teased.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Action Tortoise posted:

nah, they did that already

did Hush return in knight? story might have worked if there were more red herrings (heh) strewn about like someone from the league of assassins or the court of owls were teased.

Hush shows up for like 2 minutes and then you kick his rear end. It has a cool fake-out opening but other than that it's seriously over in like 5 mins. I was a little disappointed because he's a cool character.

Also yeah the Jason Todd reveal (I shouldn't even really bother tagging that) is loving stupidly obvious but I agree with what another poster said about Batman being in denial. That's p cool.
But I know that's mostly just making excuses. It's even blatantly the same voice actor from like the first moment, lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

I dislike the fact that Fire Emblem: Fates nerfed the pair-up system from Awakening, and also that children are determined by the father instead of the mother for some reason.

Yeah, youre better off using pair up to boost two units affinity for each other and then decoupling them once maxed because otherwise youre just wasting time and making the game harder

Fire Emblem Fates is bad all around, honestly.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't know the Batman Lore so it surprised me, or it would have if they didn't spend all that cutscene time reintroducing that character.

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

Hush shows up for like 2 minutes and then you kick his rear end. It has a cool fake-out opening but other than that it's seriously over in like 5 mins. I was a little disappointed because he's a cool character.

There's a good few missions in Knight that feel a bit perfunctory, which is a shame.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have a feeling I've said this before, but the whole city-simulator genre drags itself down for me, and it sucks because I used to like them as a kid.

The core issue is one of sameness. Every city will be beholden to the RCI template. You'll have the residential buildings (that look like the same residential buildings as your last city) interspersed with your commercial buildings (that all look the same), but far away from your same-looking industrial buildings and aaaugh.

Like, I want to buy Cities: Skylines. I hear its really good. But man, everything I see or read about it makes me feel like I'd play it for an hour and go "yup, that's Simcity" and stop.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MisterBibs posted:

I have a feeling I've said this before, but the whole city-simulator genre drags itself down for me, and it sucks because I used to like them as a kid.

The core issue is one of sameness. Every city will be beholden to the RCI template. You'll have the residential buildings (that look like the same residential buildings as your last city) interspersed with your commercial buildings (that all look the same), but far away from your same-looking industrial buildings and aaaugh.

Like, I want to buy Cities: Skylines. I hear its really good. But man, everything I see or read about it makes me feel like I'd play it for an hour and go "yup, that's Simcity" and stop.

Cities: Skylines does have that problem to some degree, but the game comes with several tilesets for different types of regions (Europe and US, IIRC also a third one and that's before any DLC), and you can add new buildings via modding.

It however does have some architectural restrictions which are annoying, like not having a dedicated set for waterfront properties, and that every building more or less requires full road access, so no favelas/old towns/inhabited island for you.

However I do agree that on any map, the late game (post 10h) does lack some... randomness for lack of better term, which made the Simcity cities interesting in the long run.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 19:55 on Aug 13, 2017

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

TOO MANY GOBLINS posted:

Also yeah the Jason Todd reveal (I shouldn't even really bother tagging that) is loving stupidly obvious but I agree with what another poster said about Batman being in denial. That's p cool.
But I know that's mostly just making excuses. It's even blatantly the same voice actor from like the first moment, lol

that sucks. some of the rogues in city ended up in a way where they could return in full force in the third game. i dunno much about Hush, but he was teased in such a way that he could have been more fleshed out if he was given a proper game.

Nier

it's probably some statement about how much bullshit i as the player am willing to endure for more content, but maaaaan does it get tedious to replay half the game to wrap up the endings. i'm so glad automata had chapter selects by the end.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Action Tortoise posted:

Nier

it's probably some statement about how much bullshit i as the player am willing to endure for more content, but maaaaan does it get tedious to replay half the game to wrap up the endings. i'm so glad automata had chapter selects by the end.

Yeah. That sucks.
Haven't really been able to bring myself to play Automata recently though, I think they want me to go to the ocean or something?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

U.T. Raptor posted:

I dislike the fact that Fire Emblem: Fates nerfed the pair-up system from Awakening
I too hate balance in my tactical strategy games

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

scarycave posted:

Yeah. That sucks.
Haven't really been able to bring myself to play Automata recently though, I think they want me to go to the ocean or something?

I was excited to play Automata, but the gameplay just... isn't there. I know it's kind of pared-down from, say, Bayonetta or MGR, but it's just far too easy, and a lot of the battles are either over in seconds and I take no damage (even if I'm just mashing buttons), or they're battles that I'm not supposed to win (see: the gold-coloured Machines or the Robo Dojo quest I clearly started far too early and spent a literal 45 minutes beating up on before he went down). The lack of any real enemy variety is also a major problem. The nature of the sidequests wore me down a ton as well. I'm just past The Forest Kingdom quest and I don't care to play the game anymore.

Inco has a new favorite as of 21:19 on Aug 13, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

yeah good thing they added a way to hatch eggs without pressing ANY directions huh

You mean the hotspring? That takes much, much longer than hatching them manually, so it's not really a replacement.

Action Tortoise posted:

Nier

The second playthrough is worth actually doing since there are changes throughout, but after that ll that changes is the ending so just youtube it.

The Moon Monster has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Aug 13, 2017

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
West of Loathing

i engaged in combat with five floating skulls that all do 0 damage to me. i do very little damage to them, however. cue five minutes of pressing the space bar, even with 300% combat speed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Perfect Potato posted:

I too hate balance in my tactical strategy games

Fire Emblem doesn't even pretend to be balanced.