Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

quote:

Well, we have another wedding, a bigger wedding. 77 courses and all of the royal kingdom has assembled and it's supposed to be pretty amazing. We just finished filming it in Croatia. I unfortunately couldn't attend myself because they have me chained at my desk writing the next book, but from all the reports it was spectacular.

guess the show's cancelled then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"The next book" is a collection of Littlefinger quotes next to pictures of anal fisting and semen-covered lips.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

"The next book" is a collection of Littlefinger quotes next to pictures of anal fisting and semen-covered lips.

Varys's makeup tips.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The Joy of Underage Sex by George RR Martin with illustrations* by GRRM, Ty Frank and Johnathan Gacy

*any likeness or similarity to the actresses who play underage characters on HBO's Game of Thrones TV series is totally a coincidence

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
The Big Book of Westerosi Breastplates, as modeled by our own George R R Martin.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Jeffrey posted:

The Big Book of Westerosi Breastplates, as modeled by our own George R R Martin.

Arms and Armor of Game of Thrones: The Facts and the Fiction

Available this 2014 Holiday season! See the real life inspirations for the weapons and armor in George R.R. Martin's bestselling the hit HBO series!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

GRRM got one thing wrong. Nipples on breastplates are, in fact, useful. How else would we mock Joel Schumacher?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
First blog post about analyzing the Meereen plot in ADWD: http://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

I'm excited to see what he comes up with that actually makes the plot worthwhile.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

GRRM got one thing wrong. Nipples on breastplates are, in fact, useful. How else would we mock Joel Schumacher?

Aesthetics is a use!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azure_Horizon posted:

First blog post about analyzing the Meereen plot in ADWD: http://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/09/27/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-i-who-poisoned-the-locusts/

I'm excited to see what he comes up with that actually makes the plot worthwhile.

interesting analysis. a few years from now when I re-read it, I'll pay more attention to mereen.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

kcroy posted:

interesting analysis. a few years from now when I re-read it, I'll pay more attention to mereen.

Part II is up. It explores the idea that Dany does actually achieve peace in Meereen, albeit fragile. It kind of throws out the common criticism that Dany continuously fucks up ruling the city. In reality, she actually achieves two peaces -- one in Meereen by marrying Hizdahr, and one with Yunkai by allowing the slave trade to resume beyond Meereen. The only reason peace goes to poo poo in Meereen is by circumstances beyond her control: Barristan seizing Hizdahr over events that occur post-Drogon which involve his recent seizure of the Brazen Beasts and thus resuming the Sons of the Harpy's slaughter, and Drogon burning up the Yunkish leader.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Azure_Horizon posted:

Part II is up. It explores the idea that Dany does actually achieve peace in Meereen, albeit fragile. It kind of throws out the common criticism that Dany continuously fucks up ruling the city. In reality, she actually achieves two peaces -- one in Meereen by marrying Hizdahr, and one with Yunkai by allowing the slave trade to resume beyond Meereen. The only reason peace goes to poo poo in Meereen is by circumstances beyond her control: Barristan seizing Hizdahr over events that occur post-Drogon which involve his recent seizure of the Brazen Beasts and thus resuming the Sons of the Harpy's slaughter, and Drogon burning up the Yunkish leader.

All of which has poo poo all to do with the main story.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

Azure_Horizon posted:

Like I give gently caress-all about the story line making sense or the efficacy of Dany's rule. GRRM was time-wasting in Meereen in order to get all his pieces in place while struggling with the Meereenese Knot. Which, for those keeping score at home, has not been resolved as of the end of ADWD. GRRM is still his own opening act trying to keep the readers entertained while the headliner is gorked out in the trailer.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

AtAt-de-fay posted:

GRRM is still his own opening act trying to keep the readers entertained while the headliner is gorked out in the ladies' room.

FTFY

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

AtAt-de-fay posted:

GRRM is still his own opening act trying to keep the readers entertained while the headliner is gorked out in Parris.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

AtAt-de-fay posted:

Like I give gently caress-all about the story line making sense or the efficacy of Dany's rule. GRRM was time-wasting in Meereen in order to get all his pieces in place while struggling with the Meereenese Knot. Which, for those keeping score at home, has not been resolved as of the end of ADWD. GRRM is still his own opening act trying to keep the readers entertained while the headliner is gorked out in the trailer.

Maybe the Meereenese knot was wrapping together all the weird twists that this guy figured out? Even if it doesn't make it a good book, some faith of mine will be restored if meereen was something other than random fantasy generated filler. I mean, its not like winds of winter will ever exist so we may as well keep an open mind towards redemption for the final chapter of A Song of Ice and Fire.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

You mean that wasn't the last two books. The gently caress have I been reading?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

Maybe the Meereenese knot was wrapping together all the weird twists that this guy figured out? Even if it doesn't make it a good book, some faith of mine will be restored if meereen was something other than random fantasy generated filler. I mean, its not like winds of winter will ever exist so we may as well keep an open mind towards redemption for the final chapter of A Song of Ice and Fire.
Yeah, well, considering that ADWD was supposed to be the second half of the five year section he was originally just planning on skipping over, I'm not exactly filled with confidence that anything of importance will actually have happened in it. AFFC's big saving grace was the revelation that Dorne actually was plotting poo poo, plots which were (possibly) utterly shut down in ADWD. Maybe once he gets everything sorted out, he'll get back rolling, but I wouldn't count on it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fog Tripper posted:

All of which has poo poo all to do with the main story.

By this logic, nothing she's done has. If we ever get TWOW, it's likely to show that this time Dany has spent besieging cities and leaving power vacuums in her wake has taught her how to better rule Westeros when she heads back. Meereen, in many ways, is a reflection of King's Landing. Might as well have a test run on the responsibilities of rule before taking back what's rightfully hers. Better she have experience than arrive in Westeros utterly clueless.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Might as well have a test run on the responsibilities of rule before taking back what's rightfully hers.

You mean... nothing?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Azure_Horizon posted:

By this logic, nothing she's done has. If we ever get TWOW, it's likely to show that this time Dany has spent besieging cities and leaving power vacuums in her wake has taught her how to better rule Westeros when she heads back. Meereen, in many ways, is a reflection of King's Landing. Might as well have a test run on the responsibilities of rule before taking back what's rightfully hers. Better she have experience than arrive in Westeros utterly clueless.

Yeah, test run your government on some browns before you unveil it for the prime white audience. Those savages just don't know how kind and benevolent she really is.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Well anyway, I'm looking forward to the next post. It's making me want to read ADWD again.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 1, 2013

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

rypakal posted:

Yeah, test run your government on some browns before you unveil it for the prime white audience. Those savages just don't know how kind and benevolent she really is.

Is it racist that I totally think that way? I don't see the Mereenese as real people, and could care less about hizzar hjuzz huz hizz or whatever.

Azure_Horizon posted:

I Read through the first part, but I don't remember enough about the storyline to tell if he analysis is insightful and clever, or just looking for complexity where there isn't any. I'm notorious for skimming / re-reading, so when I have free time I'll definitely dig back in. I would really like to think that the Mereen chapters are awesome, and that we are seeing a set up that will repeat in westeros. It would be a nice twist if GRRM shows us at some point that rather than dany being a complete gently caress up, she was actually kicking rear end. It would be a nice return to showing people different facets of characters.

Sexgun Rasputin
May 5, 2013

by Ralp

(and can't post for 648 days!)

Uzbeki-beki-beki-stan-stan.

Just saying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

You mean... nothing?

Actually, she is rightfully entitled to a traitors death at the hands of King Stannis Baratheon.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Sexgun Rasputin posted:

Uzbeki-beki-beki-stan-stan.

Just saying.

GRRM accidentally being a brilliant political satirist would own.

Literally no one but the worst D&D posters give a gently caress about what's happening in Mereen. What really matters is the cool violence in the north, queen Cersei's sex scandal, and teen starlet Sansa on a romantic getaway with an older man.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Literally no one but the worst D&D posters give a gently caress about what's happening in Mereen. What really matters is the cool violence in the north, queen Cersei's sex scandal, and teen starlet Sansa on a romantic getaway with an older man.

You forgot about the vikings.

And Loosey Goosey Roosey Bolton.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Blind Sally posted:

You forgot about the vikings.

And Loosey Goosey Roosey Bolton.

Political theater, and sexual violence, respectively.

See also: the ratings for Fox News and CSI/Law&Order/Hannibal.

Yureina
Apr 28, 2013

Yeap. I found this out recently. Really turns me off the Palestinian cause to find out they basically consist entirely of raging racists.

rypakal posted:

Pushing the race card here seems kinda ridiculous. Sure Dany is a 'white savior' of sorts, but her wish to learn to rule is more normal than anything else. Meereen is a cesspool not entirely unlike King's Landing.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Yureina posted:

Pushing the race card here seems kinda ridiculous. Sure Dany is a 'white savior' of sorts, but her wish to learn to rule is more normal than anything else. Meereen is a cesspool not entirely unlike King's Landing.

Well it's about to become a smoking crater, so well done Dany.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shoehead posted:

Well it's about to become a smoking crater, so well done Dany.

Let's hope kings landing gets the same treatment. :getin:

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Yureina posted:

Well, I think George is pushing the race card on purpose, setting up the trope and then bringing it down around Dany. Then again, it's not a trope but an actual fact that he linearly relates sexual permissiveness to skin color (the Wildings being the only exception), so I don't necessarily know how much of his racism is intentional trope subverting and how much it is GRRMs lust for exotic orgies.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Yeah, that and things like:

kcroy posted:

I don't see the Mereenese as real people, and could care less about hizzar hjuzz huz hizz or whatever.

Whether intentional or inadvertently bringing that sort of thing out in readers. Good old George Other McOthering Martino!

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
Biggest surprise events in the story so far:

-Game of Thrones: Ned Stark is put to death for treason.

-A Storm of Swords: Rob Stark is betrayed and murdered at the Red Wedding.

-A Dance With Dragons: You, the reader, are a huge racist.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

p.crestmont posted:

-A Dance With Dragons: You, the reader, are a huge racist.

I'll have you know that some of my closest friends are named Zorro Zorro Ducksauce. Take that back.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

p.crestmont posted:

A Dance With Dragons: You, the reader, are a huge racist.

We've heard enough about "Bliz Blaz" and "Him Ham" already! Get to the bloody point!

...with apologies to the original author.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Part III: http://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/2013/10/02/untangling-the-meereenese-knot-part-iii-danys-struggle-with-herself/ Heading into analysis of what the point of Meereen is in Dany's journey.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

Consider this an official toxx clause. I will ban myself if George R. Martin finishes the series before he dies. In my mind it is an utter impossibility unless we invent miracle drugs in the next decade.

I look forward to watching the conclusion to ASOIAF on HBO.

For posterity. Obviously, he meant George RR Martin, there will be no finagling out on a technicality.

I guess we need to encourage GRRM to eat better and get some light exercise. :smith:

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
So someone told me a famous author died today but they couldn't remember his name so I wigged out to check this thread.

Sadly it was Tom Clancy that died and not the GRRM. Or maybe not sadly. I dunno I've never read Clancy.

Oh well it made me realize any time a person says an author died I will only think of Georgie boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
GRRM is a year younger than Clancy.

So chin up, guys. He'll be dead soon.