Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I am in the middle of making http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-korma-ii/

I am substituting the heavy cream with lite coconut milk and I accidentally added twice the amount. Is there a way to fix this, or will it likely be okay? I have about an hour before it's time to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

me your dad posted:

I am in the middle of making http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-korma-ii/

I am substituting the heavy cream with lite coconut milk and I accidentally added twice the amount. Is there a way to fix this, or will it likely be okay? I have about an hour before it's time to eat.

Check the flavor, if it's a little weak you can add a bit of salt to perk it up but if that does not fix it your probably screwed. Only other thing I can think of would be to bloom some more curry spice in some hot oil, add the curry to that, let it simmer for a while and hope that it all incorporates well. I've never tried that so YMMV.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Check the flavor, if it's a little weak you can add a bit of salt to perk it up but if that does not fix it your probably screwed. Only other thing I can think of would be to bloom some more curry spice in some hot oil, add the curry to that, let it simmer for a while and hope that it all incorporates well. I've never tried that so YMMV.

This should work. Just add more flavors.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Jose posted:

My parents decided to buy a deep fryer. I basically never deep fry stuff so what are some good things I can do while at theirs other than chips? Breakfast foods would be ideal. Its not particularly big since it was pretty cheap is the only issue

I drunkingly bought a deep fryer to make chicken tenders.

https://www.guernicamag.com/daily/helen-rosner-on-chicken-tenders/?src=longreads

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jose posted:

My parents decided to buy a deep fryer. I basically never deep fry stuff so what are some good things I can do while at theirs other than chips? Breakfast foods would be ideal. Its not particularly big since it was pretty cheap is the only issue

You can make breakfast falafels!

More seriously (still make falafels though), you could make some sopaipilla/frybread for breakfast. Drizzle a bit of honey on it while you eat it and have some huevos rancheros with it.

Similarly you could make fried biscuits, which is often served with apple butter where I'm from.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.
Stupid question but I have two uncooked bratwursts that were left out for about 7-8 hours though in a sealed bag. I should throw these away right?

I ask because I wonder if the process of cooking them might kill any harmful bacteria/eliminate any toxins said bacteria have created.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Thunder Moose posted:

Stupid question but I have two uncooked bratwursts that were left out for about 7-8 hours though in a sealed bag. I should throw these away right?

I ask because I wonder if the process of cooking them might kill any harmful bacteria/eliminate any toxins said bacteria have created.

Toss em.

Cooking can kill bacteria but wont always kill spores or destroy toxins that can make you ill after consumption.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I bought a moderately expensive serrated bread knife last year, and it's been great. However, with all of the bread baking we've been doing in the house, my girlfriend claims that it's gotten dull? Seems ok to me; I didn't think serrated blades got dull. Can it be sharpened?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Squashy Nipples posted:

I bought a moderately expensive serrated bread knife last year, and it's been great. However, with all of the bread baking we've been doing in the house, my girlfriend claims that it's gotten dull? Seems ok to me; I didn't think serrated blades got dull. Can it be sharpened?

Generally a serrated knife needs to be sharpened once per year or so, they can be sharpened but how hard it is depends on the shape of the serrations. You generally want to sharpen it by sharpening it at an extremely low angle on the flat side only, they don't need much to make them sharp again so don't over do it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Generally a serrated knife needs to be sharpened once per year or so, they can be sharpened but how hard it is depends on the shape of the serrations. You generally want to sharpen it by sharpening it at an extremely low angle on the flat side only, they don't need much to make them sharp again so don't over do it.

To expand on this, I sharpen a serrated blade by wrapping a wooden dowel in various grades of sandpaper, applying sharpie to the knife, and matching the angle of the existing blade as well as I can, one groove at a time. Takes about 30-40 minutes for a decent sized knife.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

To expand on this, I sharpen a serrated blade by wrapping a wooden dowel in various grades of sandpaper, applying sharpie to the knife, and matching the angle of the existing blade as well as I can, one groove at a time. Takes about 30-40 minutes for a decent sized knife.

Like sharpening a chain saw!

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Squashy Nipples posted:

Like sharpening a chain saw!

Just like sharpening a chainsaw or table saw.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I've got a chuck roast in the puddle about to come out.

I dumped a can of masaman curry paste in the the bag.

I'm torn as to whats next.

Rinse the paste off the meat then slice the meat thin and a quick sear/stir fry?
Rinse/dry/sear the cuts (i sliced the steak into muscle groups following the lines of the steak) then slice?
Do I try and turn a whole can of curry pasted bag juices into a pan sauce or maybe a couple of spoonfuls of juice with some stock/coconut milk?

I have so many possibilities i'm paralyzed with indecision.

FWIW I'll be serving with white rice and a bastardized gan bian si ji dou.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
So, after giving one to my brother and sister, it was my turn for my mother get me a Kitchenaid mixer for my birthday. Now, there's something to be said about gift horses, but it's not the sort of appliance I see myself using often, making it a bit expensive in terms of precious counter real estate.

I'm definitely planning on getting the pasta roller attachment as it's just about the only dough-based thing I mix on a regular basis. And there's the New York Times cookie recipe, which is just about the only dessert I bother with nowadays. But besides cookies and pasta, what are some nice things to do with this mixer?

Jan fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jun 21, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Pretzels/Bagels.

Sausages (with attachment).

Pound Cake.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/pound-cake-recipe.html

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Jan posted:

So, after giving one to my brother and sister, it was my turn for my mother get me [url=http://www.kitchenaid.com/shop/countertop-appliances-1/stand-mixers-2/tilt-head-3/-[KSM150PSOB]-400120/KSM150PSOB/]a Kitchenaid mixer[/url] for my birthday. Now, there's something to be said about gift horses, but it's not the sort of appliance I see myself using often, making it a bit expensive in terms of precious counter real estate.

I'm definitely planning on getting the pasta roller attachment as it's just about the only dough-based thing I mix on a regular basis. And there's the New York Times cookie recipe, which is just about the only dessert I bother with nowadays. But besides cookies and pasta, what are some nice things to do with this mixer?

Pizza dough!!!!!

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I have a dream of delicious beef stroganoff, but alas the recipe that has been handed down to me consists of:

1 can of Cream of Mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
Dried onions
Salt to taste

I feel I can do better, particularly on the cream of mushroom soup front, I just don't know how. Help me, GWS!

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Brennanite posted:

I have a dream of delicious beef stroganoff, but alas the recipe that has been handed down to me consists of:

1 cup sour cream
Dried onions
Salt to taste

I feel I can do better, particularly on the cream of mushroom soup front, I just don't know how. Help me, GWS!

I think this Kenji article and resulting recipe is pretty good, I guess. It isn't quick though.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/beef-stroganoff-rethinking-food-lab.html

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I made popcorn on too-high heat like a moron. I scrubbed off the actual carbon on my stainless steel pots, but there's stains remaining that are just as black. Vinegar/water and boil it? SoS pads are doing fuckall because stains suck.

Also, say you've got 50 quail eggs. Okay, 80 quail eggs. What would you do with'em. Because I'm running out of ideas over here and they keep popping them out and the homeless shelter and food lockers only take chicken and duck eggs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I made popcorn on too-high heat like a moron. I scrubbed off the actual carbon on my stainless steel pots, but there's stains remaining that are just as black. Vinegar/water and boil it? SoS pads are doing fuckall because stains suck.

Stick the whole pot in a big resealable ziploc bag with ammonia, the fumes will scrub away the carbon overnight.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Anyone have a good marinade for carne asada? Making some tacos for 30-40 people in a month and I'm looking for something reasonably authentic.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Also, say you've got 50 quail eggs. Okay, 80 quail eggs. What would you do with'em. Because I'm running out of ideas over here and they keep popping them out and the homeless shelter and food lockers only take chicken and duck eggs.

If it's just stainless you could use Barkeeper's Friend, that usually gets rid of everything. It is very abrasive however so be careful.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

i was always taught that scouring stainless pots was kinda toxic.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Sous vide til cooked/pasteurized? Egg salad forever?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

twotimer posted:

i was always taught that scouring stainless pots was kinda toxic.

I've never heard of this. It's just steel isn't it? As long as you give it a good clean afterwards it shouldn't be too bad/worse than anything you get from scraping with a metal spoon or similar. Nonstick, though, would be a terrible idea because that is somewhat toxic.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Brennanite posted:

1 cup sour cream
Dried onions
Salt to taste

There's some easy, low-hanging improvement fruit here. Remove dried onions, replace with sauteed onion and mushrooms. Add in a dab or two of Worcestershire sauce and mustard to the sauce. Finish the beef with some garlic and butter. These steps will add dramatically to the flavor without taking up much more time (2-5 extra minutes prep to dice onions/slice mushrooms, 5-10 extra minutes cooking down the onions and mushrooms). And for fucks sake, add some black pepper.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

baquerd posted:

There's some easy, low-hanging improvement fruit here. Remove dried onions, replace with sauteed onion and mushrooms. Add in a dab or two of Worcestershire sauce and mustard to the sauce. Finish the beef with some garlic and butter. These steps will add dramatically to the flavor without taking up much more time (2-5 extra minutes prep to dice onions/slice mushrooms, 5-10 extra minutes cooking down the onions and mushrooms). And for fucks sake, add some black pepper.

Make that lots of black pepper, black pepper goes really well in stroganoff.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Could you eat them all in an hour?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Business Gorillas posted:

Anyone have a good marinade for carne asada? Making some tacos for 30-40 people in a month and I'm looking for something reasonably authentic.

It's nothing too crazy. I picked up a recipe in texas from my landlord (who was from Juarez) that was basically just:

squeeze 1/2 lemon
squeeze 1/2 lime
finely chop a large handful of cilantro (about 1/2 to 2/3 cup chopped)
4-5 minced cloves of garlic
1-2 minced / pureed chipotle peppers
1/2 tbls cumin (powdered)
1 tbls paprika
2-3 tbls oregano (we had it growing on hand, not sure how much for dry)
1 tbls maggi seasoning (use soy sauce if not available)
1 tbls salt
1 tbls pepper

2-3 cups orange juice (add all the above + ~3lbs meat to a bag, add orange juice just enough to cover the meat and seal the bag. He just did an overnight marinade.

After grilling that we added in a few sliced white onions and browned them up on the grill and topped with those and some fresh cilantro and served with some lime slices to squeeze on if people wanted.

Recipes vary all over on this from what I can tell but the main thing is getting in some citrus along with the cumin and garlic flavors.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Some Vietnamese help, please.

How do I make "Thit Kho To"?

It was loving delicious. The flavors were pretty simple, I think just hoisin, soy sauce, garlic, ginger. But the menu said "carmelized pork", so I would imagine there is something to the cooking of it. It was served screaming hot in a metal pot.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Brown pork, remove. Caramelise some sugar in a pan to make a caramel, add some fish sauce and stock. Then return meat to the pan, adding peppers, garlic, scallions to cook and reduce liquid.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Some Vietnamese help, please.

How do I make "Thit Kho To"?

It was loving delicious. The flavors were pretty simple, I think just hoisin, soy sauce, garlic, ginger. But the menu said "carmelized pork", so I would imagine there is something to the cooking of it. It was served screaming hot in a metal pot.

Miche has a recipe on the wiki and it is spot on.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
That's great, thanks miche. I always forget about the wiki.
When I made a recipe for it ages ago I had to translate from a viet website (because I'm a food snob). Google doesn't translate Vietnamese well. 'water colours' for 'caramel', 'meat warehouse' for 'stock' and I think 'pilgrims' for 'peppers'.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 22, 2015

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

Miche has a recipe on the wiki and it is spot on.

Nice, I should have thought to check there first.

Thanks Miche!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

That Works posted:

It's nothing too crazy. I picked up a recipe in texas from my landlord (who was from Juarez) that was basically just:

squeeze 1/2 lemon
squeeze 1/2 lime
finely chop a large handful of cilantro (about 1/2 to 2/3 cup chopped)
4-5 minced cloves of garlic
1-2 minced / pureed chipotle peppers
1/2 tbls cumin (powdered)
1 tbls paprika
2-3 tbls oregano (we had it growing on hand, not sure how much for dry)
1 tbls maggi seasoning (use soy sauce if not available)
1 tbls salt
1 tbls pepper

2-3 cups orange juice (add all the above + ~3lbs meat to a bag, add orange juice just enough to cover the meat and seal the bag. He just did an overnight marinade.

After grilling that we added in a few sliced white onions and browned them up on the grill and topped with those and some fresh cilantro and served with some lime slices to squeeze on if people wanted.

Recipes vary all over on this from what I can tell but the main thing is getting in some citrus along with the cumin and garlic flavors.

We do it even simpler - some seasoned salt like Lawry's or something, lime juice, and some extra powdered ancho maybe. This is just sprinkled on the meat for a few minutes or hours prior to going on the grill. The most important thing is to get a fairly fatty cut of beef and get it sliced very thin.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
K so my dumbass entered a cooking competition at my work (Target). The competition is special in that the rules are:

-10 dollar pending limit
-All ingredients must come from Target
-Spices are allowed to be from elsewhere

Normally this wouldn't be a problem but our grocery section is hilariously tiny. Two fridges, a freezer, and three dry goods shelves tiny. And those two fridges are a milk fetishists wet dream. The competition is happening friday and I learned today that someone else is doing the exact same thing I was planning on doing (baked mac and cheese w/ bacon and bread topping). So instead of doing the same thing I wanna do something else. Problem is I'm coming up with a blank. Was hoping I could get a couple ideas from more experienced people here.

For an idea of what I have to work with, the only meats in my store are bacon, pre packaged deli turkey slices, canned chicken, and canned tuna. We also have eggs, colby jack/provolone/shredded cheddar cheese, kraft singles, a whole shelf of canned soups, only three kinds of canned vegetables (corn, green beans, black beans), canned tomatoes, white/brown sugar, molasses, marshmallows, pre packaged mac and cheese, velveeta, and dry elbow pasta.

Honestly I was gonna attempt a super ghetto tomato bisque until I realized it'd be mostly powder spices. Any help is much appreciated.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Black bean chili? Use lots of good spices for the best and flavor, add some corn if that's your style, serve with cheese on top.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

baquerd posted:

So it turned out I didn't have any cream of mushroom soup, so I made the sauce from steak au poivre and thickened it with arrowroot in its place and went from there. I'm not sure what I made was technically beef stroganoff, but it was good and probably had a bazillion calories. I cannot believe how much of a difference just sauteing the onions and mushrooms made.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

EVG posted:

Black bean chili? Use lots of good spices for the best and flavor, add some corn if that's your style, serve with cheese on top.

Thinking that'd probably be my fallback option if nothing else. Was hoping to avoid chili since I won the last competition we had with an angus beef and bacon chili.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Brennanite posted:

So it turned out I didn't have any cream of mushroom soup, so I made the sauce from steak au poivre and thickened it with arrowroot in its place and went from there. I'm not sure what I made was technically beef stroganoff, but it was good and probably had a bazillion calories. I cannot believe how much of a difference just sauteing the onions and mushrooms made.
Yeah, the step up from this is the Keller recipe, which is every bit as fussy as (but more traditional than) Kenji's. The gimmick is basically using roughly twice as many mushrooms, divided into two batches. The first batch you mince like crazy and then sauté the gently caress out of, like just brown the fuckers way more than you usually would because you're normally worried about them drying out and getting tough. Because you're just going to throw these guys into the sauce while it simmers and then strain them out. The other half of the mushrooms you sauté normally for inclusion in the plated dish. The sauce itself is just heavy cream plus a garni of whatever (bay, thyme, peppercorns in the official Keller version) with some onion and those browned to poo poo mushrooms, simmered until it's reduced by about about a third and then some créme fraîche added in at the end (about a 3:1 ratio of heavy cream to créme fraîche).

It's not quick, but it's actually mechanically very simple to do and doesn't have like a million ingredients or whatever, but that sauce ends up just mushroomy as everloving gently caress.