Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I just enjoy the cover art of Soundex Code, looks like it could fit into any number of eras. I'm gonna guess that record is late 50s or early 60s with out looking it up.

Also just so you know crock pot chili turns out better when you play vinyl records while preparing it. This is scientific fact and I won't hear otherwise. :colbert:

Worst snipe on ugliest page, here's a vain attempt to make it better:

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Mar 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
gently caress quote is not edit this is going from bad to worse.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I forgot to mention that Sparks has a video that was directed by David Lynch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lTVohhONFg

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Please rip this so that we may all learn Soundex® Coding.

There can only be one.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Are there any post punk peeps in this thread? I skimmed through discogs latest clickbait article on what the best selling albums so far of 2021 were and was surprised to see that Molchat Doma were on it for their reissue of Etazhi. Of course if you want it on vinyl you'll have to get it from Sacred Bones.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I like post punk. :cool: I’m pretty out of it with new stuff, though. I’ll check that out!!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Toe Rag posted:

I like post punk. :cool: I’m pretty out of it with new stuff, though. I’ll check that out!!

I have a hard time getting into post punk myself, but I figured others here would like it. I do like one of Molchat Doma's "peppier" songs, Discoteque off of their latest album.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I just checked those out actually and I would describe this more as new wave than post punk, but the lines can get pretty blurry. It reminds me quite a bit of New Order.

This album rules and feels like the perfect example of being both post punk and new wave.

https://youtu.be/V3eDmkDG3eQ

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Toe Rag posted:

I just checked those out actually and I would describe this more as new wave than post punk, but the lines can get pretty blurry. It reminds me quite a bit of New Order.

This album rules and feels like the perfect example of being both post punk and new wave.

https://youtu.be/V3eDmkDG3eQ

Yeah, I probably should have picked the new wave or synth labels that also get bandied about in regards to Molchat Doma. What's hilariously aggravating is that if you google "what genre is Molchat Doma" it spits up alternative/indie aka the way too broad genre label for everybody who's not rock, pop, or country.

However that song you linked, that I like very much, thank you!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I think post-punk and new wave meet just about at the corner of coldwave and darkwave with a shortcut from minimal wave alley, which happens to be pretty much my neighborhood.

Some names that spring to mind immediately are Martin Dupont, Martial Canterel, John Maus1 and, a bit friendlier, Motorama and no I don't know what it is with that broad genre and names with M

1yes, yes; look you can't talk about early 80s Manchester indie without mentioning Morrissey, either

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 28, 2021

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I'm pretty big on post-punk but thus far it's just all the old poo poo. I probably like a bunch of modern post-punk bands but all that comes to mind right now is Pop. 1280. They're also on Sacred Bones. I'd recommend them.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think post-punk and new wave meet just about at the corner of coldwave and darkwave with a shortcut from minimal wave alley, which happens to be pretty much my neighborhood.

Some names that spring to mind immediately are Martin Dupont, Martial Canterel, John Maus1 and, a bit friendlier, Motorama and no I don't know what it is with that broad genre and names with M

1yes, yes; look you can't talk about early 80s Manchester indie without mentioning Morrissey, either

Devo is a pretty good example of the punk to post punk to new wave pipeline.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Also Wire

https://youtu.be/fwJCUn0ndwA

https://youtu.be/-2cL_ps3MYQ

https://youtu.be/XZ2RvSHK_B8

:hellyeah:

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I love post-punk but I feel like the problem is it thrives on minimalism which becomes a bit restrictive

Once Gang of Four and Wire perfected it where's there to go? Like, Protomartyr whips but it's nothing new

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Hot Diggity! posted:

I love post-punk but I feel like the problem is it thrives on minimalism which becomes a bit restrictive

Once Gang of Four and Wire perfected it where's there to go?

New wave.

Listen to new wave and compare to post punk, and it builds on the post punk.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
the most interesting post punk bands of the last ten years or so are either:

(a) coming from a background, both musically and lyrically, beyond just straight white british/american dudes
(b) adding really interesting textures and layers to the sound rather than sticking with generic angular guitar and bass riffs
(c) are just really really good at writing hooks so you ignore that it definitely could have come from 1981

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Cemetry Gator posted:

New wave.

Listen to new wave and compare to post punk, and it builds on the post punk.

Well yeah new wave is great but speaking purely about post punk as a genre

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

tbf i feel like "post punk as a genre" kinda encompasses like... all pre-mtv new wave/synthpop? like the first four omd albums are more like joy division than duran duran

otherwise, "post punk" does become an incredibly narrow genre with an arbitrarily limited palette

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Everything since the first punk record is post-punk, op

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

pwn posted:

Everything since the first punk record is post-punk, op

wikipedia has a post-punk label on london calling; it is a truly useless genre definition

we're just lucky we never got "post-alt" or "post-indie" (as far as i know, i am scared to google)

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Post punk is just punk informed possibly experimental music from 77-84 IMO.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Some new stuff in the past few days:

Ready for those Sparks albums to start showing up now!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

Some new stuff in the past few days:

Ready for those Sparks albums to start showing up now!

I had three show up today with three more to come.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ayyy, I bought some records! Feels like it's been forever.

The Flesh Eaters record is another example where you can pick any band off the Return of the Living Dead soundtrack and strike gold.

Pollex Christi was eventually revealed to be the first Hardy Fox solo recording credited to The Residents that only had a one-off pressing of 400 CDs in the early '90s, which of course has a fun hook:

quote:

Pollex Christi ("The Big Toe [or Thumb] of Christ") is a work by the mysterious N. Senada, which had never been recorded until The Residents created this album. It is one of Senada's "blueprints" and was created around 1936-37, just before he fled Germany for northern Canada.

A "blueprint" is a set of instructions on how to construct the piece out of existing works. Essentially, Senada steals bits from famous German composers and have the performers assemble them into a "house of bricks", much as some of the composers being plagiarized used existing folk music to build their own works on. The difference is that not one note of Senada's composition is original.

N.Senada's blueprints often had "holes" in them, meant to be filled with whatever the performers felt should go in. His reasoning, based on his "house" metaphor, was that the people should contribute to the construction of their homes. In this recording, The Residents fill the three holes with famous television theme songs. In part 1, they use the theme form Peter Gunn. Later, they use the original Star Trek theme and the Popeye the Sailor Man song.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Ayyy, I bought some records! Feels like it's been forever.

The Flesh Eaters record is another example where you can pick any band off the Return of the Living Dead soundtrack and strike gold.

Pollex Christi was eventually revealed to be the first Hardy Fox solo recording credited to The Residents that only had a one-off pressing of 400 CDs in the early '90s, which of course has a fun hook:

Did you order that stuff from Superior Viaduct because they didn't even ship my poo poo yet.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Did you order that stuff from Superior Viaduct because they didn't even ship my poo poo yet.
Had to pick it up on Discogs, it was sold out by the time you posted that sale. I had looked it up a week prior, too. It was still in stock, but I was in-between paychecks.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Forgot to show off what I spent my Biden Bux on:

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Is there a really good version of A Love Supreme available from retailers or do I have to buy an older one off discogs? I got a brand new Impulse one labelled GR-155 and it has this howling noise on side A that I just keep hearing every time now.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

former glory posted:

Is there a really good version of A Love Supreme available from retailers or do I have to buy an older one off discogs? I got a brand new Impulse one labelled GR-155 and it has this howling noise on side A that I just keep hearing every time now.

Is it a saxophone?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

former glory posted:

Someone in the corner of the studio going through opiate withdrawal?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dead Goon posted:

Someone in the corner of the studio going through opiate withdrawal?

That’s not nice

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Is it a saxophone?

This made me laugh way harder than it probably should have.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

lol

Wrong word.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Domino's got My Bloody Valentine's back catalog. Their site won't sell to the US, but the official MBV store will.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
the “deluxe” loveless is already sold out :argh:

The regular seems to be shipping from the us though which is nice

It’s a shame when I see an album on Bandcamp that’s under 20 bucks only to realize it ships from the UK and shipping will be more expensive than the album :(

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

caligulamprey posted:

Domino's got My Bloody Valentine's back catalog. Their site won't sell to the US, but the official MBV store will.

Nice. My 2003 Plain Recordings copy of Loveless is kinda scratched and doesn't really sound that great but I'm not sure if it's bad enough to want to replace it with a new ~$30+ copy.

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

Barry posted:

Nice. My 2003 Plain Recordings copy of Loveless is kinda scratched and doesn't really sound that great but I'm not sure if it's bad enough to want to replace it with a new ~$30+ copy.

I have the same pressing, mine came a bit warped. It just added to the aesthetic.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

loving hell $50 for Loveless? Probably just will wait to see if a store nearby gets some copies because shipping from the MBV site is ridiculous.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Heads up to anyone looking to get Tron Legacy at a sane price, Mondo's having a restock at 12pm CT today.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Mondo

sane price

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm not defending them or anything, but $35 vs