Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

These are the loving enormous animals you share a road with

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, Alaska moose are not to be hosed with. You hit one of them on the highway and you're dead because 900 pounds of meat comes right through the windshield.

Fun childhood memory: growing up in Anchorage I assumed all moose were pretty much the same. Then one summer we did a family trip to Yellowstone and saw their version of the moose and I was convinced it was a baby because it was loving tiny.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've seen them that big in Vermont, too.

e: tag yourself I'm the guy driving in reverse on a highway

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
You do what to gotta do to get some photos of one of the last examples left of ice age megafauna.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

here is the result of car vs moose:

rest of the album is here but it's mostly nws due to copious amounts of moose viscera all over and inside the car: https://imgur.com/gallery/SEnGW

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Texas? Someone had a really lovely holiday :(

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

flightless greeb posted:

This one isn't anything spectacular, just a dangerous pass but it incensed the really cool looking 240z in the lane next to me to give chase and I think it looks cool as he takes off lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyaGbKVJG7g

I see people do this poo poo on 580 constantly, it's ridiculous. at this point it doesn't even register unless they're super close or doing at least 110+.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I hit a "small" moose and it still wanged it's head off my bug deflector that was ~6 feet off the ground.

It also exploded the hood and fender, pushed the hood up into the cab and permanently bent down that side of of the bumper to the point where chaining the bumper to a loaded trailer and lifting on it with a 50 ton bottle jack lifted both the truck and trailer before it pushed the bumper back into shape. Any sort of car occupant would have been super dead. It was a pretty hard thud in a 105,000lb truck. This was all from what ammounted to a glancing blow.

And get this, the fuckin thing didn't even have insurance!

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I almost got knocked off the road by a semi the other day.

We were both exiting the interstate at a two-lane ramp where both lanes are forced to make right-hand turns at the end. Semi was in the right lane I was in the left with a solid white line between us. 50ft from the end of the ramp the semi driver suddenly decides he's in the wrong lane and jerks his rig to the left. I slammed on the brakes and he missed taking out my front bumper by inches.

I get it, you're from out of town (Mississippi plates in North Dakota), but that doesn't mean that you can ignore the rules designed to keep everyone safe on the road. If I had been 15 feet further up the ramp I would have been smacked off the road by your trailer.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Swift?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Somewhat related: I had an out-of-state tagged driver drop anchor hard on an interchange when they decided they were in the wrong lane a couple weeks ago. I had to bury my foot and let ABS save me to keep from plowing into them. It would be fair to suggest that I not follow that closely, but my gap was about average for what people do on highways these days, that's my defense and I'm sticking to it. :colbert:

At any rate as their speed approached zero I laid on my horn and this apparently freaked them the gently caress out when they noticed a car screeching to a halt behind them, and they started cranking wildly on their wheel as they struggled to figure out what to do, they almost ended up ramming the barrier in the gore point. I swung around them to get away from the area and I watched in my mirrors as more cars piled up behind them and they tried to decide what to do with themselves.

I get it, you're from out of town, the highways don't always make sense, and the signs are even worse, and I agree with this 100%. But you don't stop suddenly in 60 mph traffic, that's gonna get someone hurt. Live with the mistake, cruise until the next exit, get your bearings, and move on with life.

(bonus fun for Chicago locals: it was the interchange from I-355 to I-55 south, so it wouldn't have mattered which fork they took but the lovely signs there don't make this clear at all)

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

The other day I was going eastbound on the Bay Bridge from Annapolis. One of the two spans can have two-way traffic via a single lane depending on the volume of traffic.

Anyway, I found myself going the normal speed in this lane with a line of cars in back of me but no one in front of me -- that is, until we came up over the rise of the bridge and had we all had to brake for our lives because a minivan had stopped dead in the lane so that their passenger could take pictures out the window. No blinkers, no nothing, just open road, a bend, then...minivan.

Like, what the gently caress.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Nope, was a non-national name I didn't recognize.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pepperoneedy posted:

The other day I was going eastbound on the Bay Bridge from Annapolis. One of the two spans can have two-way traffic via a single lane depending on the volume of traffic.

Anyway, I found myself going the normal speed in this lane with a line of cars in back of me but no one in front of me -- that is, until we came up over the rise of the bridge and had we all had to brake for our lives because a minivan had stopped dead in the lane so that their passenger could take pictures out the window. No blinkers, no nothing, just open road, a bend, then...minivan.

Like, what the gently caress.

When I was coming back from the eastern shore across the Bay Bridge one time, there was a truck not too far ahead of me that was slowly losing a load of firewood. I counted 6 vehicles with blown tires before reaching the stopped truck (on the bridge).

I had a chunk of wood hit my windshield after it got kicked up by the car in front of me, but luckily the mark it left just buffed off.

Was slightly amusing see the outside lane go from the green arrow to red X's - gosh, I wonder what could have caused that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

A truck on the Garden State Parkway (where there aren't supposed to be any trucks wtf) kicked up a traffic cone into my front end. Cost me like $300 in OEM parts to replace/fix, and my a/c condenser still has a big-rear end dent in it (that somehow didn't break any of the hoses/pipes, so my a/c still works fine, thankfully).

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

not very

:dadjoke:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
there was a dude at the gas station walking around asking people about something, I assumed it was "money for gas" like usual but he asked me if i had a spare tire to sell? which i don't, but how would he know it would even fit on his car? i wished him good luck, anyway

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

xzzy posted:

Somewhat related: I had an out-of-state tagged driver drop anchor hard on an interchange when they decided they were in the wrong lane a couple weeks ago. I had to bury my foot and let ABS save me to keep from plowing into them. It would be fair to suggest that I not follow that closely, but my gap was about average for what people do on highways these days, that's my defense and I'm sticking to it. :colbert:

I get it, you're from out of town, the highways don't always make sense, and the signs are even worse, and I agree with this 100%. But you don't stop suddenly in 60 mph traffic, that's gonna get someone hurt. Live with the mistake, cruise until the next exit, get your bearings, and move on with life.

35 is a clusterfuck in Austin, and I had someone do the same thing last night... they changed lanes right in front of me and threw the anchor out, coming to a complete loving stop in a 65. The only reason I didn't plow into them is they heard the screeching tires and horns (since they blocked TWO lanes) and decided they'd be in better shape if they dragged that anchor to the shoulder in a hurry.

I maintain well above average following distance, but you can leave a mile between you and the next car, and the village idiot is still going to cut you off.

Texas plates, guessing out of town though. But... I mean... I've lived here less than 2 weeks, and after the first couple of days I had the highways mostly figured out (35 is a pain, but that's more figuring out upper decker vs lower deck). If *I* can figure out the roads, anybody can. I'm still getting lost now and then, but gently caress man, if you miss your exit, just take the next one and deal with the extra few minutes. Smell the roses bluebonnets while you're at it. It's a beautiful city, take in the sights while you're here, instead of actively trying to kill people!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

TX - I rammed a car off the road to avoid being hit by a train. (self.legaladvice)

Ill keep this short. This happened about a week ago. In our town we have a four way intersection on some train tracks with a tall concrete median separating the lanes. There is a red light right at the train tracks with enough room for 3 cars to stop after the track.

Well the car in front of me stopped with 2 full car lengths ahead of him forcing me to have my rear end end on the track. The car behind me gave me just enough room to back up and have my front end on the tracks. The car behind him gave him no room.

Train starts coming and this, for some reason, RESETS the timers on the lights. Now the train must have only been going at 25mph max, but I am not really willing to find out what a 1-2k ton train will do to my car going at 25ish mph. So I honk, honk, honk, and honk some more for the car in front to pull up. He leans out his window, flips me off, POINTS AT THE TRAIN, and laughs.
I have all of this on dash cam.

I keep honking only seeing more flip offs, the cars behind me try to move but its really not happening, and finally I see no choice but to force him off the road. I am driving 16 sonata and he is driving a manual 90s era taurus. I was already backed up till I almost hit the truck behind me, but the front of my car was still on the tracks. So I slammed the gas plowing into the taurus throwing him into the intersection and I come to a stop pretty close to him. Thankfully he was in neutral and not applying the breaks.

The train comes through about 30 seconds later. The light is still red and I have the obvious sound of a close train coming over the camera and the red light still there.

The guy gets out and starts yelling at me as people are rushing over. The train pulls through the intersection and stops right after it. The guy who was behind me asked if I were OK and then was basically on my side. When the police come he tells them everything, even the part where the guy in front of me flipped me off. I pull the SD card out of my dash came and put it in my phone to show the officer.

He tells me he is declining to cite me and that the insurance companies can deal with this mess. He briefly chatted with the conductor of the train and it started up again leaving.
Today the police report was released listing me as the at fault party to the accident.

So, I have just a whole host of questions here but Ill keep it to just the three main ones.

First and foremost, is what the guy did illegal? By illegal I mean can this be class A misdemeanor or Felony level?

Secondly is it possible that the "accident" could be ruled in my favor as the video CLEARLY shows more than enough room for both cars? Like by this I mean he stopped with nearly 2 car lengths to go before the big white line where you are supposed to stop.

Third, what could I be looking at here if the police try to charge me?

EDIT: Spelling

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Platystemon posted:

lol I'll kill you with a train what could go wrong?

If this story is non-fiction, which could go either way, I wish the guy in the Taurus had died.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It always sounds reasonable based on the information they choose to include.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
When people can't be bothered to observe the traffic lights and notice when they've gone green, why do they become so upset when given auditory reinforcement via a horn? You'd think they'd be happy for the service.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PT6A posted:

When people can't be bothered to observe the traffic lights and notice when they've gone green, why do they become so upset when given auditory reinforcement via a horn? You'd think they'd be happy for the service.

Considering the alternative is a push, they should be thankful for the horn.

A lot of people just don't understand that if every person was as selfish as they are the world would grind to a halt.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Powershift posted:

A lot of people just don't understand that if every person was as selfish as they are the world would grind to a halt.

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

The Door Frame posted:

Nope.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

I trumpet him melodiously, but they still obstacle my passage!

I have no choice but to tootle with vigour.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

The Door Frame posted:

Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his your brow?

I Made America Great Again for me

:colbert:

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

see thats why I need 300ft lbs of torque, in case some guy tries to Eraser me on the train tracks and I have to shove him out of the way!! Also I was like 0.3 mad at all the commenters on reddit from that thread who said the guy was 100% morally at fault for ending up on the tracks w/o making sure there was space for him on the other side. Like the car ahead is acting intentionally and maliciously and somehow bears 0% fault? Obvi the OP has some blame since the situation was theoretically avoidable but it shouldn't have been 100% imo

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

Is a man not entitiled to the honk of his horn? "No", says the woman digging through her purse for the entire turning light. "No" says the man jaywalking out from between two parked cars while staring at his phone. "no" says the cyclist who hops onto the sidewalk to run red lights on the crosswalk.

I chose something different, I chose the impossible. I chose HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/zaMCSFx.mp4

I go through this intersection every morning so I'm on the lookout for this poo poo but this motherfucker (UBER/LYFT DRIVER BOOOONUS POINTS) jumped out supeerrrr late.

E46+good tires+good brakes.

I still had my coffee when I got to work although I didn't need it at that point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chinatown posted:

I go through this intersection every morning so I'm on the lookout for this poo poo but this motherfucker (UBER/LYFT DRIVER BOOOONUS POINTS) jumped out supeerrrr late.

Gotta love that they try to move forward after you both back up.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

flightless greeb posted:

see thats why I need 300ft lbs of torque, in case some guy tries to Eraser me on the train tracks and I have to shove him out of the way!! Also I was like 0.3 mad at all the commenters on reddit from that thread who said the guy was 100% morally at fault for ending up on the tracks w/o making sure there was space for him on the other side. Like the car ahead is acting intentionally and maliciously and somehow bears 0% fault? Obvi the OP has some blame since the situation was theoretically avoidable but it shouldn't have been 100% imo
Traffic would be nightmarish in a world where everyone obediently interprets "make sure you can clear the intersection" as "make sure you can clear the intersection even if the car in front of you stops dead for no reason". That would mean only one car at a time can be inside an intersection (plus an extra car length), with something like 150 feet of following distance.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Gotta love that they try to move forward after you both back up.

I never backed up. Also, missing is the audio as I pass telling him "*THIS* CLOSE FUCKER. Learn to drive rear end in a top hat." He knew what he did and we just left it at that.

STREET JUSTICE :hai:

e: I was going 5 over FWIW (its Cali). Which is pretty insignificant given the circumstances.

Chinatown fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 13, 2018

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

its cool, speeding is the one crime everyone should do more of. What kinda E46? 330ci?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Chinatown posted:

https://i.imgur.com/zaMCSFx.mp4

E46+good tires+good brakes.

I still had my coffee when I got to work although I didn't need it at that point.

You all wonder why I tell people to buy dashcams without the speed on it? If that isn't a 45 zone, you get 50% fault, minimum, based on that dashcam.

edit: The limit is 40? That doesn't look like a 40 road. In any event, the speed on that camera will take a 0% fault accident to a shared fault (unless you want to sue), even for 5mph.

nm fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 13, 2018

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

nm posted:

You all wonder why I tell people to buy dashcams without the speed on it? If that isn't a 45 zone, you get 50% fault, minimum, based on that dashcam.

edit: The limit is 40? That doesn't look like a 40 road. In any event, the speed on that camera will take a 0% fault accident to a shared fault (unless you want to sue), even for 5mph.

You lawyers don't know anything, it's all a scam to try to take money from the Common Man.

:jerkbag:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Aug 13, 2018

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005
When the light turns green, go. Just go! GO!!!! Don't sit there and wave that guy out of McDonald's. If he misses the light that's on him for going to McDonald's. If people lined up behind you miss the light that's on you for holding up traffic with your ill-timed decision to do something nice. I got stuck sitting through a second light cycle along with two other cars leaving my neighborhood this morning because of this. This is not uncommon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Road repair technique can gently caress off forever.

Why yes it makes perfect sense to drop 30 miles of 70 mph interstate to a single lane at 45 mph so they can resurface one mile chunks in series. This will bother no one.

Then you get stuck behind the one shithead who puts their cruise control at exactly 45. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xzzy posted:

Road repair technique can gently caress off forever.

Why yes it makes perfect sense to drop 30 miles of 70 mph interstate to a single lane at 45 mph so they can resurface one mile chunks in series. This will bother no one.

Then you get stuck behind the one shithead who puts their cruise control at exactly 45. :argh:

I-8 between Yuma and San Diego has been getting redone for the last couple of years and they do multiple 10 mile chunks at a time that way. The best part is when they are completely done except for like 1 bridge, the entire 10 mile speed zone remains.