Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'm in kind of the same boat, the only time I ever get into alternate ammos and ammo crafting is with energy weapons since it's completely straightforward. I'll always have a soft spot for all of the different shotgun ammo though that's just fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's you, the target market who prompts every mod decision about ammo that drives me insane, I just want bullets for my gun to be a single stacking thing.

(in fairness, I know I'm very much in the minority here, I just think it's funny)

You mean you don't like the +P AP DualShok++ Boat-tailed with brass core rounds that my 10001 extra ammo types mod adds? :mad:

Nah, I like a couple of extra options (Running OC in most of the energy weapons but MC in my gauss rifle, for example), though like the weapon modification system in F4 there often is a 'best' option.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Floodixor posted:

I'm moving through the DLC and there's one thing that BOTHERS ME SO MUCH, and I know it's pedantic but it's everywhere in the loving DLC.

I don't know who wrote the content for these, but there's a common thread, and once I saw it, I can't unsee it.

The dialogue more often than not won't use articles ("the", "I", "they", etc), and it does this constantly and I HATE IT. While I'm loving the voice acting in Lonesome Road, he just said:

"You and the robot are all that remains of the NCR. Rest fell to radiation," etc etc. Did you mean THE rest fell to radiation?! I started to notice this in Dead Money, just all the characters talk like this, with a total absence of articles in their sentences:

"Went to the doctor. Got the news. Set up an appointment to come back later. Went to the supermarket. Got an avocado. Went home. Made dinner." AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Again, I know that's just my dumb English major poo poo leaping out at me, but it's just loving everywhere in the dialogue and it bothers me so much and I'm sorry that it does because I don't know why! I've seen this sort of thing get made fun of by other goons when people start doing that in their posts.

lol shut up nerd

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Taerkar posted:

DT is a much better mechanic for combat than just DR, helped by me running a mod that lets DT reduce the damage to pretty much nothing. Weapon degradation is an annoyance and can go away.

I've started permanently playing with mods that make weapons way more lethal against bare flesh (while still making mutant animals and super mutants naturally tough) and make headshots on humans an instant kill, but make armor more protective than in the base game. The early game plays almost like STALKER or Tarkov, where both you and enemies can take each other down in a few shots, while late game armor gets exponentially stronger. The Brotherhood of Steel actually becomes a legitimate threat regardless of your level because their armor simply deflects anything except .50s, powerful plasma and laser weapons, high explosives, or AP rounds. And raiding the Fort is still difficult just because the sheer number of enemies can overwhelm your power armor with gunfire even if you only need 2 or 3 shots on each NPC.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I think that is part of what BLEED tries to do.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

JawKnee posted:

lol shut up nerd

Heheh I know I know but I just can't not notice it!!!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think Chris Avellone likes to use that tic to signify that characters are either low-education or "man of few words" western types. I feel it works with Ulysses as a function of his being near-mortally wounded in a huge explosion and/or being brought up in a tribe which largely communicated nonverbally and only learning English when he was an adult

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Floodixor posted:

I'm moving through the DLC and there's one thing that BOTHERS ME SO MUCH, and I know it's pedantic but it's everywhere in the loving DLC.

I don't know who wrote the content for these, but there's a common thread, and once I saw it, I can't unsee it.

The dialogue more often than not won't use articles ("the", "I", "they", etc), and it does this constantly and I HATE IT. While I'm loving the voice acting in Lonesome Road, he just said:

"You and the robot are all that remains of the NCR. Rest fell to radiation," etc etc. Did you mean THE rest fell to radiation?! I started to notice this in Dead Money, just all the characters talk like this, with a total absence of articles in their sentences:

"Went to the doctor. Got the news. Set up an appointment to come back later. Went to the supermarket. Got an avocado. Went home. Made dinner." AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Again, I know that's just my dumb English major poo poo leaping out at me, but it's just loving everywhere in the dialogue and it bothers me so much and I'm sorry that it does because I don't know why! I've seen this sort of thing get made fun of by other goons when people start doing that in their posts.

Is merely proof of commie subversion and infiltration into the United of States. Russian has no articles. Coincidence ? Think not. Always vigilant.
-- extract from Rorschach's Journal

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

2house2fly posted:

I think Chris Avellone likes to use that tic to signify that characters are either low-education or "man of few words" western types. I feel it works with Ulysses as a function of his being near-mortally wounded in a huge explosion and/or being brought up in a tribe which largely communicated nonverbally and only learning English when he was an adult

I never really understood how Ulysses is supposed to be part of the Legion, an organization that is *real* big on cultural erasure and conformity, and was allowed to keep his tribal hair style and overall outlook, to be honest.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I never really understood how Ulysses is supposed to be part of the Legion, an organization that is *real* big on cultural erasure and conformity, and was allowed to keep his tribal hair style and overall outlook, to be honest.

He was trained as a spy, so he kept his identity so he could wander around

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

i was under the impression it was a sort of erasure through assimilation deal, which was a huge sticking point for ulysses. when his tribe was absorbed, their deliberate, culturally significant hairstyle was allowed to stay but was also incorporated into the larger legion which lacked the specific cultural context of it. iirc ulysses has a huge stick up his rear end about salt upon wounds and that tribe wearing an empty facsimile of his own heritage, which was one of the things that led to him abandoning the legion.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

sick sick sick, I just beat NV for the first time.

I really held on to the middle ground as much as I could, to the point where I was in the dam and had to either plant the device for the Yes Man or talk to Cassandra and start the fight for the dam. I actually planted the device, then tried to talk to Cassandra. It took me the the room with Oliver, who delivered the first part of his last speech (when you're at the gates of the Legion after doing whatever ones decides to do to Lanius) and then froze up after he acknowledged the Yes Man. So, I decided to blow up the dams and then book it, trying to kill the least amount of NCR (who were automatically firing on me at that point), getting to the dam, fighting through the Legion, Speech'ing my way to Lanius leaving, and then walked back to the gates, which is where Oliver showed up and I told him to gently caress himself (non-violently).

The neat thing is that there were still so many little spots in the wasteland that I hadn't poked at yet. Honestly, a perk that I REALLY wish I hadn't picked was the one that put every location on the map, which was both confusing when you were looking for a specific place early on and wasn't familiar with the map yet, as well as removing the discovery aspect of it. Eventually I tried to look at the map as little as possible and just hoof it until I found someone or something.

I also beat Lonesome Road and it was my favorite DLC. Oh, sorry: Beat Lonesome Road. Liked it. Thought the pacing was good. Liked the environment. Enjoying travelling with ED-E. Can see how it's divisive. Didn't kill Ulysses. Visited him afterward. Had to talk to him. Was good. jesus fuckin christ

so now I'm going to fire up Fallout 3 for the first time, though other goons have suggested that I'm basically working backwards. So naturally, I just checked out mods at Nexus and I can already see that there's a texture upgrade mod from NMC as well, which I'm going to assume is a given. Any other mods I should grab for this first playthrough?

and also as usual thank you thread, because it's absolutely helped my experience with NV and it owned owned owned. I'm sorry I started a fight about Ulysses' stupid fuckin' dialogue.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Floodixor posted:

sick sick sick, I just beat NV for the first time.

I really held on to the middle ground as much as I could, to the point where I was in the dam and had to either plant the device for the Yes Man or talk to Cassandra and start the fight for the dam. I actually planted the device, then tried to talk to Cassandra. It took me the the room with Oliver, who delivered the first part of his last speech (when you're at the gates of the Legion after doing whatever ones decides to do to Lanius) and then froze up after he acknowledged the Yes Man. So, I decided to blow up the dams and then book it, trying to kill the least amount of NCR (who were automatically firing on me at that point), getting to the dam, fighting through the Legion, Speech'ing my way to Lanius leaving, and then walked back to the gates, which is where Oliver showed up and I told him to gently caress himself (non-violently).

The neat thing is that there were still so many little spots in the wasteland that I hadn't poked at yet. Honestly, a perk that I REALLY wish I hadn't picked was the one that put every location on the map, which was both confusing when you were looking for a specific place early on and wasn't familiar with the map yet, as well as removing the discovery aspect of it. Eventually I tried to look at the map as little as possible and just hoof it until I found someone or something.

I also beat Lonesome Road and it was my favorite DLC. Oh, sorry: Beat Lonesome Road. Liked it. Thought the pacing was good. Liked the environment. Enjoying travelling with ED-E. Can see how it's divisive. Didn't kill Ulysses. Visited him afterward. Had to talk to him. Was good. jesus fuckin christ

so now I'm going to fire up Fallout 3 for the first time, though other goons have suggested that I'm basically working backwards. So naturally, I just checked out mods at Nexus and I can already see that there's a texture upgrade mod from NMC as well, which I'm going to assume is a given. Any other mods I should grab for this first playthrough?

and also as usual thank you thread, because it's absolutely helped my experience with NV and it owned owned owned. I'm sorry I started a fight about Ulysses' stupid fuckin' dialogue.

If it's not too much work, just install a Tale of Two Wastelands, it makes FO3 much better

note: if you have Windows 10, you pretty much have to do this, since FO3 doesn't play nicely with it

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I love chatting with Ulysses after the DLC, he's such a bro. He goes scavenging in the Divide and gives you books and cups. He gives you advice on how to beat the Legion even if you've sided with the Legion. I think it's after the DLC that he gives you the recipe for Bitter Drink as well? The completely weightless powerful healing item. Bro. Installing a companion mod for him and taking him to the Dam feels like a great ending to the game

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

2house2fly posted:

I love chatting with Ulysses after the DLC, he's such a bro. He goes scavenging in the Divide and gives you books and cups. He gives you advice on how to beat the Legion even if you've sided with the Legion. I think it's after the DLC that he gives you the recipe for Bitter Drink as well? The completely weightless powerful healing item. Bro. Installing a companion mod for him and taking him to the Dam feels like a great ending to the game

I love his VA. I could listen to that dude ramble forever

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Randaconda posted:

I love his VA. I could listen to that dude ramble forever

:chloe:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:colbert:

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Arggrarble

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
This is interesting.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69141

quote:

FNV Opposite Traits

Traits added by this mod:

Walking Tank
+25% less limb damage
-1 AGL
(Opposite of Small Frame)

Built to Last
+Weapon condition decays 15% slower
-3% chance to critically hit

Camper
+2 Damage Threshold
-10 AP
(+Hidden effect: +15 DR)
(Opposite of Kamikaze)

One Inch Punch
+60% critical damage with Unarmed and Melee Weapons
-20% Unarmed and Melee Weapon damage
(Opposite of Heavy Handed)

Ultra Violence
+5 Guns, Energy Weapons, Melee, Unarmed, & Explosives
-5 Speech, Medicine, Repair, Barter, & Science
(Opposite of Good Natured)

Javelin
+25% Range with thrown weapons
-30% Attack speed with thrown weapons
(-Hidden effect: +30% AP cost with thrown weapons in VATS)
(Opposite of Loose Cannon)

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Camper sounds really powerful, 10 AP for a combat build doesn't strike me as being a big penalty at all for having what is essentially free Toughness

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's bonus should be an indoors or at night or something yeah.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

One Inch Punch can be pretty crazy with the melee/unarmed weapons that have a high crit chance multiplier.

Edit: After some testing it appears that BLEED is what was causing most of the instabilities. Hopefully that's it.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 19, 2020

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

NorgLyle posted:

Originally it was FNV Realistic Wasteland Lighting but I've replaced it now with 'Realistic Wasteland Lighting Tweaked' recommended by the Viva New Vegas site.

I hadn't actually thought of just giving myself modded in night vision but I suppose that will be a last resort.
The night vision mod ended up being the best answer. RWL looks very pretty during the day, mornings and evenings in most areas but wow is it awful at the Sierra Madre. I always wonder if the people who make these mods actually try them out in all of the areas because it seems like most of the visual stuff ends up causing weird hiccups as you wander through maps that are not in standard lighting.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NorgLyle posted:

The night vision mod ended up being the best answer. RWL looks very pretty during the day, mornings and evenings in most areas but wow is it awful at the Sierra Madre. I always wonder if the people who make these mods actually try them out in all of the areas because it seems like most of the visual stuff ends up causing weird hiccups as you wander through maps that are not in standard lighting.

Dead Money and Honest Hearts suffer the most because they have different skyboxes that don't play nice with RWL. Old world blues uses the same sky as the base game and lonesome road is covered in a rendered dust storm so it doesn't matter as much.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Has anybody used Cirosan's Classic Overhaul recently? I remember it being a fun overhaul in 2012, but it doesn't look like it's been updated since then.

*Seems to work just fine, I don't think the compatibility patch for jsawyer works with jsawyer ultimate, but iirc it's not a very necessary patch. Hard to find out since this Vortex tool doesn't let you choose load order??

Cheston fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 14, 2020

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
It might have been something else going on but I remember I stopped using CCO when I kept noticing performance issues later in the game. Might be a bad script or two in there.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
To be honest, almost all of the stuff CCO does is done better by more modern mods nowadays. Considering how modular it is, I'd consider maybe just installing the stuff you *really* need (like perks changes or companion module additions/changes) and setting the rest of the stuff to the same values with something like, I dunno, JSawyer Ultimate?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Been having a weird bug lately, maybe y'all can help. Seems like whenever I head into new cells -- like heading into the perimeter of the Think Tank, or Primm -- I get a crash. Using the console coc command lets me get in without issue. My mod list is, uh, 213 deep, so it's more likely than not because of that, BUT I'm hoping for a hail mary "oh just do this" response.

e: suspecting it has to do with NMC texture pack.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 18, 2020

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I grabbed the Wabbajack version of Viva New Vegas because spending all those hours installing mods isn't really what I want, and it seems to be working as intended... save for one issue. JIP CCC has its "force recruit" function, which I like the idea of a lot, but even though I'm playing on hardcore any NPC I recruit is set as essential and trying to disable their essential status through the CCC menus renders a message saying they're essential by default. Now, I don't have a psychic link to rope kid or anything, but I'm pretty sure the original game isn't designed to set, say, "Wastelander" or "Young Bighorn" as essential, and they're not essential when not recruited. Anyone know what's up? Is this a problem with the pack or a problem on my end specifically?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Woebin posted:

I grabbed the Wabbajack version of Viva New Vegas because spending all those hours installing mods isn't really what I want, and it seems to be working as intended... save for one issue. JIP CCC has its "force recruit" function, which I like the idea of a lot, but even though I'm playing on hardcore any NPC I recruit is set as essential and trying to disable their essential status through the CCC menus renders a message saying they're essential by default. Now, I don't have a psychic link to rope kid or anything, but I'm pretty sure the original game isn't designed to set, say, "Wastelander" or "Young Bighorn" as essential, and they're not essential when not recruited. Anyone know what's up? Is this a problem with the pack or a problem on my end specifically?

I don't know what the problem is, but you should be able to use the console to make them non-essential again.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I don't know what the problem is, but you should be able to use the console to make them non-essential again.
Oh yeah of course, and that's the workaround I'll run with if no real solution pops up. Was just hoping someone might have experienced the same issue and know off the top of their head what the cause is :)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Woebin posted:

Does the wabbajack version come with Stewie's tweaks? One of the options in .ini file is the ability to make companions essential in hardcore mode.

If you have it, open it and search for "Hardcore Tweaks" and change "bEssentialCompanions" to 0.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

Does the wabbajack version come with Stewie's tweaks? One of the options in .ini file is the ability to make companions essential in hardcore mode.

If you have it, open it and search for "Hardcore Tweaks" and change "bEssentialCompanions" to 0.
Yes, that's it! Thanks ❤

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Was trying to fix the OP. Too much work for one night. So far it's here but honestly I didn't get too far. I suspect that we might be able to community-source work on it by clicking here.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dracomies released the long awaited Brave New World edition of his New Vegas Redesigned series. The big hook of this one is that the voice cast was expanded greatly with volunteer work so that it wasn't Liam O'Brien doing five thousand voices.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69562

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone have a link to lombard station, place was my favorite player home last time I played and the link in the op is dead

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gaius Marius posted:

Does anyone have a link to lombard station, place was my favorite player home last time I played and the link in the op is dead

Is mediafire okay?

http://www.mediafire.com/file/k8424fu0q3f9egk/Lombard_Station_Final_Release.fomod/file

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thank you

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dracomies released the long awaited Brave New World edition of his New Vegas Redesigned series. The big hook of this one is that the voice cast was expanded greatly with volunteer work so that it wasn't Liam O'Brien doing five thousand voices.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69562

this seemed a bit iffy to me but i checked the credits and it seems like they got mostly legit actors and not just internet randos like most voiced mods. i’ll check it for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

anyone have any experience getting navmesh conflicts resolved? i haven’t used the geck in years and i only ever edited items so it’s way above my level of understanding