Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So if I want to scrape paint off parts of a mini so that I’m gluing plastic-to-plastic and not paint-to-paint, and I don’t want to gently caress the mini up, but I also don’t really want to pay $18 for the Citadel scraper tool, what is my best alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Hustlin Floh posted:

It's not too "snowflake", it's just way too specific. I know this is for your own benefit, but I don't think anyone is concerned about the exact range of percentages of :females: in your regiment.

About that:

adamantium|wang posted:

I was reading a random blog thread about somebody's Guard army (on B&C) the other day and, well:

Fear not brothers, BJORN FIREWALKER will act as gatekeeper to keep unworthy fictional women out of other people's toy soldier collections!

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

So if I want to scrape paint off parts of a mini so that I’m gluing plastic-to-plastic and not paint-to-paint, and I don’t want to gently caress the mini up, but I also don’t really want to pay $18 for the Citadel scraper tool, what is my best alternative?

Either a dremel sander attachment or a folded up piece of sand paper is what I use for that.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is there cannon on whether the robes were a thing for the Pre-Heresy Dark Angels?

:shrug:

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Pretty much anything file-like should do the trick. Needle files from the hobby store are my go-to, but you can use a bit of emery board, as well as the stuff Immanentized suggested.

For future projects, you can also dry-fit the parts together, figure out the joints, then cover them with poster tack or Silly Putty before priming. Leave it on as long as you're painting the areas, then gently peel it off, check for any defects, check the fit again, and glue away. (This tends to leave a bit of a ridge where the putty was, so you may end up filing it a bit. It works best on areas that aren't going to be readily visible.)

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

So if I want to scrape paint off parts of a mini so that Im gluing plastic-to-plastic and not paint-to-paint, and I dont want to gently caress the mini up, but I also dont really want to pay $18 for the Citadel scraper tool, what is my best alternative?

any kind of piece of hard plastic you can get a good grip on. So long as you aren't hardcore stabbing and slashing the mini you shouldn't do any damage to the sculpt.

If you have plastic cement you can also use that to get paint off certain areas, it outright melts the paint. Just make sure to wipe that off after since it won't do a good job of gluing parts together with all the paint bits stuck in it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Schadenboner posted:

Is there cannon on whether the robes were a thing for the Pre-Heresy Dark Angels?

Pretty much all the recent art of them pre-heresy, yes.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xenomrph posted:

I scrape it off with a Exacti blade. Just run it backwards and it has the same effect as the scraper tool.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
An Exactii-Blade sounds like the kind of cheek-tongued wargear new GW would make for a specialty game.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Neurolimal posted:

An Exactii-Blade sounds like the kind of cheek-tongued wargear new GW would make for a specialty game.

If they do, I'm making a greenstuff cast of one of my exacto blades to rep it, because it must be so.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I hate my phone. But I love that 247 point Babyknight.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When they make a Leman Russ model I hope it's a primarch in a badly stitched fursuit right out of a fur convention with a big googly eyed mask carried under one arm.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I hope that go full teen wolf and it's the hairiest teen wolfiest possible russ leading an army of viking wolfmans.

These guys, but with viking helmets.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 17, 2018

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

I'm currently reading "Savage Weapons" by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, a short story in Age of Darkness. It is during the Heresy, and the two Dark Angels that accompany Lion both are mentioned wearing robes, I believe.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

What the actual gently caress is wrong with people.

Soldier o Fortune
Jul 22, 2004

Battle Report!

Had a rematch yesterday against a friend, up to 2,000 from 1,500. I ran my World Eaters with Khorne Demons, he did Guard, Scions, and Deathwatch.
Scenario: Contact Lost
Deployment: Hammer and Anvil

My List:
Chaos Lord in Terminator Armor (Warlord)
Kharn
Demon Prince with Wings
Exalted Champion
Chaos Terminators
Berserks
2 x 10 Cultists
Forgefiend
Hellbrute
Bloodthirster
30 Bloodletters

His List:
Tempestor Prime (Warlord)
3 x Scion Squads (Meltas, Plasmas, and Volley Funs)
3 x Guard Veterans
2 x Wyverns
1 x Commissar
Watch Captain
Watch Captain Artemsis
Deatchwatch terminator librarian
Corvus Blackstar

He kept the Scions and the Librarian in deepstrike. Wyverns were placed on each flank with infantry holding the ground between them. Corvus went on a flank. I kept my Terminators in deepstrike and used 3 CPs to setup my Bloodletters with the banner of Blood in the warp. I loaded up one flank with all my big guys to try to deal with his Corvus and one of the Wyverns, while my infantry was deployed to grab objectives and advance up the field.

I got turn one and went for the Bloodletter bomb. He had left plenty of room behind his army, so I was able to fit them in, and I placed the Lord and Terminators there to support the attack and hopefully take out one of the Wyverns. The Terminators failed their charge, but the Lord made it into combat with his Commissar and the Bloodletters hit two of his Vet squads. I killed the Commissar, but both squads were left with a guy or two. Considered burning more CP to have the Bloodletters fight again but decided not to. I did manage to tie up his Deatchwatch squad when I consolidated.

His turn one everything pulled back from the Bloodletters, and all his scions dropped in. My terminators were reduced to the Champion with chainfist, the Lord was killed (Warlord kill), and the Bloodletters were wiped out. Wyverns are their bane due to the low toughness and save. So the Bloodletter bomb overall wasn’t great, but it did tie up his entire army for the first turn. Still, losing the Terminators and Lord on top of that was painful.

Rest of the game consisted of my infantry being destroyed before they could do much while he tried to avoid my big guys. My favorite part was flying my prince over cover to assault his Scions, who pulled back and were ordered to Get Back in the Fight and shoot. I then dropped 2 CP on the demon stratagem to increase his invulnerable save, allowing him to tank a turn of fire from all 3 squads. Demon Prince then flew over his scions, assaulted and killed his Prime (Warlord), scoring me Slay the Warlord, Assassinate, and Kingslayer in one turn for 5 points! Prince then died in epic fashion when Artemis threw a stasis grenade on it. Bloodthirster ate the overwatch fire from the Deathwatch’s 2 frag cannons, allowing Kharn who was down to 1 wound to charge in and wipe them out. My Bloodthirster also eventually managed to catch his Corvus and swat it out of the air as well. By the end I only had the wounded Bloodthirster and Forgefiend left, he was down to 1 Wyvern, Artemis, and several infantry squads, but I won 12 to 11.

Great game, first time using the Bloodthirster and Forgefiend, and the Demon stratagems and first 2k game in 8th. I feel like I learned a lot about CP use and assaulting. My Lord and Terminators have not performed well so far and just get shot off the table. I thought they would do better this time since they were supporting the Bloodletter Bomb rather than being alone. I need to find a better way to use them, and definitely need to make someone else my Warlord because he always dies. Need to adjust the list to get the Rhino back in because I realized after deployment that I had forgotten to include it when I expanded my list to 2k! Looking forward to trying the army against a non-imperial faction for the first time!

Deployment

Terminators, Lord, and Bloodletter Bomb!

Surviving Guard pulls back from Bloodletters

Bloodthirster taking on the Corvus

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

The primer for the Nova Narrative is up and I’m a bit disappointed- I signed up for the dayfight games and all 1000 points (doubles being 1000 each) and a single match at 1850.

Meanwhile, nights get 2000 and 2500.

e: Gave in and signed up for Nightfights 1 and 2. Besides, sleep is overrated.

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Mar 17, 2018

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
First 40k stuff I've painted in a while, GW got me with the new Custodes releases. I normally batch paint 3-5 models at a time but I did all these in one go which was a bit of a task for me, enjoyed doing them though:

Got Trajann to do, and one of each of the Dreadnoughts on the way :D

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

First 40k stuff I've painted in a while, GW got me with the new Custodes releases. I normally batch paint 3-5 models at a time but I did all these in one go which was a bit of a task for me, enjoyed doing them though:

Got Trajann to do, and one of each of the Dreadnoughts on the way :D

Those are looking good. Is that one of the statuesque heads on one of the bikers?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Booley posted:

Those are looking good. Is that one of the statuesque heads on one of the bikers?

Thanks man, yeah it is, and on the Custodian Guard as well.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Very nice. Hope it causes some hams to poo poo themselves.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Good to know. Hopefully she EARNED the rank by demonstrating personal skills and compe... jesus it's hard to even shitpost this.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Dakkaposters: "Men demanding sex from women in hierarchical structure is not a thing that happens."

Also Dakkaposters: "I hope your plastic lady earned her place in the Emperor's good graces rather than loving her way there."

Burn the Internet to the ground and start over.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Dakkaposters: "Men demanding sex from women in hierarchical structure is not a thing that happens."

Also Dakkaposters: "I hope your plastic lady earned her place in the Emperor's good graces rather than loving her way there."

Burn the Internet to the ground and start over.

Tbf that was Bolter & Chainsword.

Dakka would have gone straight for screaming at the dude for being a liberal SJW fascist.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Hams community is pretty garbage even by nerd standards. At my last game I had a dude going off on a rant because I pronounced "foetid" incorrectly despite the fact that I said it the same way that duncan does in his painting tutorials. He also had a whine session about GW's treatment of Slaanesh when I started mentioning the incredibly obvious lead up to his model releases thats been going on lately.

Honestly the dude was enough of an rear end in a top hat to me, a cis white dude, that I kind of lost the motivation to continue painting up my dudes. I can't even imagine how bad he would be to a woman who had the audacity to play 40k.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
TBF if he wasn't aware of that leadup then it wouldn't be that out there to believe that they were trying to move away from Slaanesh; WHFB Slaanesh is still MIA with Second Nurgle instead having her spot, they haven't had any new models in a really long time, Eldar just got some plot advancement with them half-summoning God Of Killing Eldar And Slaanesh (who gets punked by sorcerors, but that's beside the point), and Slaanesh in general being hard to write for.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Neurolimal posted:

TBF if he wasn't aware of that leadup then it wouldn't be that out there to believe that they were trying to move away from Slaanesh; WHFB Slaanesh is still MIA with Second Nurgle instead having her spot, they haven't had any new models in a really long time, Eldar just got some plot advancement with them half-summoning God Of Killing Eldar And Slaanesh (who gets punked by sorcerors, but that's beside the point), and Slaanesh in general being hard to write for.

Sure and thats all reasonable but it wasn't him going "yeah slaanesh has had some bad times lately" it was "GW hates slaanesh and is evil and killed my dog"

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Slaanesh's absence gives idiots proof that the PC SJW morality brigade has taken over GW.

Which is a position in no way cognizant of the bikini murder elf army they just launched in AoS or the fact that Slaanesh's stuff is still in all the rulebooks and fluff.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

moths posted:

Slaanesh's absence gives idiots proof that the PC SJW morality brigade has taken over GW.

Which is a position in no way cognizant of the bikini murder elf army they just launched in AoS or the fact that Slaanesh's stuff is still in all the rulebooks and fluff.

Said dipshits also tend to be the ones that hyperfocus on the sexual aspect of Slaanesh (in the most boring, trite heteronormative cishet white boi way possible) way more than GW ever, ever has or will.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

- cool golden boys/gals -

How'd you do the white hair on the biker one? I'm painting some Sisters of Battle and haven't found a way to paint their white hair that I like, but yours looks amazing.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Seriously. Have no doubt that when the Emperor's Children actually gets an update they'll be the first to shriek about how they're all about excessive indulgence and militarized hedonism instead of tits.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

AnEdgelord posted:

The Hams community is pretty garbage even by nerd standards. At my last game I had a dude going off on a rant because I pronounced "foetid" incorrectly despite the fact that I said it the same way that duncan does in his painting tutorials. He also had a whine session about GW's treatment of Slaanesh when I started mentioning the incredibly obvious lead up to his model releases thats been going on lately.

Honestly the dude was enough of an rear end in a top hat to me, a cis white dude, that I kind of lost the motivation to continue painting up my dudes. I can't even imagine how bad he would be to a woman who had the audacity to play 40k.

Turbo nerds are terrible in general; it’s probably a major factor as to why you don’t see many women playing Warhammer.

Mercifully being a cis white dude the worst I’ve had to deal with are rules lawyers, poor losers and one particular individual who whined that everything was overpowered. Except his stuff obviously.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

moths posted:

Also AoS is rife with pretty blatant hints that a load of Slaaneshi stuff is coming sooner rather than later.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Is there a thread about terrible players people have encountered? I’ve looked but can’t find anything.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
There was grognards.txt but...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I think this will be what I take to NOVA. 2500. I will get 10 CP through detachments.

+ HQ +
Captain in Gravis Armour: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword
Primaris Librarian: Force sword, The Veritas Vitae
Primaris Lieutenant: Power sword

+ Troops +
4x Intercessor Squad: 5x Intercessors, Auxiliary grenade launcher, Bolt rifle, Power sword

+ Elites +
2x Aggressor Squad 3x Aggressors, Auto boltstorm gauntlet, Fragstorm grenade launcher

+ Fast Attack +
2x Inceptor Squad: 3x Inceptors, Two plasma exterminators
Inceptor Squad: 3x Inceptors, Two assault bolters

+ Heavy Support +
Hellblaster Squad: 5x Hellblasters, Plasma incinerator

+ Lord of War +
Knight Errant: Heavy stubber, Thermal cannon, Thunderstrike gauntlet
2x Armiger Warglaives: Thermal spear, Reaper chain-cleaver

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Floppychop posted:

How'd you do the white hair on the biker one? I'm painting some Sisters of Battle and haven't found a way to paint their white hair that I like, but yours looks amazing.

Thanks! I think it was literally just ceramite white, shaded with heavily thinned nuln oil (something like 1/3rd nuln and 2/3rds water) and then white scar highlights.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I think this will be what I take to NOVA. 2500. I will get 10 CP through detachments.

+ HQ +
Captain in Gravis Armour: Boltstorm gauntlet, Master-crafted power sword
Primaris Librarian: Force sword, The Veritas Vitae
Primaris Lieutenant: Power sword

+ Troops +
4x Intercessor Squad: 5x Intercessors, Auxiliary grenade launcher, Bolt rifle, Power sword

+ Elites +
2x Aggressor Squad 3x Aggressors, Auto boltstorm gauntlet, Fragstorm grenade launcher

+ Fast Attack +
2x Inceptor Squad: 3x Inceptors, Two plasma exterminators
Inceptor Squad: 3x Inceptors, Two assault bolters

+ Heavy Support +
Hellblaster Squad: 5x Hellblasters, Plasma incinerator

+ Lord of War +
Knight Errant: Heavy stubber, Thermal cannon, Thunderstrike gauntlet
2x Armiger Warglaives: Thermal spear, Reaper chain-cleaver

It’s definitely very fluffy and thematic - I hope you have fun. No love for Reivers though?

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Is there a thread about terrible players people have encountered? I’ve looked but can’t find anything.

Hobby Horror Stories sounds like a great and terrible thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
"This model may replace its high-output burst cannon and/or missile pod with two items from the ranged weapons and/or support systems list," is currently my favorite poorly worded rule.

Also noticed that technically, Longstrike's special rule doesn't work because nothing actually has the keyword used in the rule.

Fun thing I hadn't seen discussed anywhere: all fire warriors can carry pistols now.