Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

I used an A10-7860K for about a week while sorting out some troubleshooting woes and you could really feel it chug just opening browsers and such.

buddy there's enough security endpoint crap to choke even the fastest client hardware these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Klyith posted:

I still use an A9-something craptop. And get this, most of the time I limit the CPU speed to 70%. :sickos:

(Because it sits next to my bed and I don't want the fan to turn on.)

If I want to watch a youtube at higher than 720p I download it with yt-dlp, because a browser decoder drops frames.

It sucks, but the two things I do with it are watch video or type plain text and given that it's actually ok. The GPU has better video decode than whatever celeron was in $300 laptops in 2018. TBQH I don't hate it!

The later FXes got through the worst deficits of the Construction arch through clockspeed and extravagant TDP.

Funny how that pattern keeps repeating!

I absolutely believe it. Last night I got YouTube running on Ubuntu and it’s amazing how hard those two cores work to just sit on a webpage and play 720p video. If you haven’t installed h264ify, that will probably help on the IGP, but I haven’t exhaustively verified that.

It skins my nose a little that this thing is running single-channel memory, but I happen to have two 4GB SO-DIMMs left over from an old project. Later today I’ll swap RAM and see what a difference it makes. I’ll verify that it took at least 20 minutes to compile GZDoom, stock.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I had a Llano A8 from the first iteration of AMD's "APU," idea. I even upgraded the system with a fanless Radeon HD 6670, which allowed you to crossfire between the iGPU and the card for an extra ~20% peak fps performance and frequently dropped frames as DDR3 1866 and GDDR5 shared the framebuffer. Bad decisions all around.

Intel was just better in every respect back in that era.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hasturtium posted:

I’ll verify that it took at least 20 minutes to compile GZDoom, stock.

:stare: I would love to see how long it takes to compile binutils and gcc on this thing

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Some rumors about the core counts of Raptor Lake Refresh are going around, its from RedGaming so... you know..

8+8 on the 600 sku is p neat if it comes to pass.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cygni posted:

I'm really skeptical of that because meteor lake only goes up to 6 P cakes, I'd bet whatever comes after it is still 8 P cores on a module. If this comes true, this is a hell of a refresh value wise.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The i3 tier (I'm guessing the bottom of the chart has a typo) going up to 6 cores is tasty as hell.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm really skeptical of that because meteor lake only goes up to 6 P cakes, I'd bet whatever comes after it is still 8 P cores on a module. If this comes true, this is a hell of a refresh value wise.

Meteor Lake is only going to be on mobile though, and they've already split the core counts and naming on mobile vs desktop as it is. Dunno if what Meteor Lake is doing in laptops will impact the desktop SKU positioning much.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

gradenko_2000 posted:

The i3 tier (I'm guessing the bottom of the chart has a typo) going up to 6 cores is tasty as hell.

I thought it's something they should have done last gen. Puts them in a much better spot to compete with the 5600 for a low end platform.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Kazinsal posted:

:stare: I would love to see how long it takes to compile binutils and gcc on this thing

It’s pokey on vanilla Ubuntu, though it picked up a smidge switching to Xubuntu + lightdm. I fear how pokey this would be trying to lug Windows 10 around - just having a few Firefox tabs open makes it chug. I am… tempted by your proposal. Let me kick it around a bit first. Also, genuinely impressed that dual channel memory doesn’t seem to have made much difference.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hasturtium posted:

It’s pokey on vanilla Ubuntu, though it picked up a smidge switching to Xubuntu + lightdm. I fear how pokey this would be trying to lug Windows 10 around - just having a few Firefox tabs open makes it chug. I am… tempted by your proposal. Let me kick it around a bit first. Also, genuinely impressed that dual channel memory doesn’t seem to have made much difference.

If you want something fairly reproducible for comparison then a buddy of mine has a script set that can produce gcc cross toolchains easily: https://github.com/travisg/toolchains

Each arch passed to -a causes a whole new compile/link cycle for the whole suite so you’d want to time eg. just x86_64.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

If you want something fairly reproducible for comparison then a buddy of mine has a script set that can produce gcc cross toolchains easily: https://github.com/travisg/toolchains

Each arch passed to -a causes a whole new compile/link cycle for the whole suite so you’d want to time eg. just x86_64.

Y’know, this would be riotously funny to run and compare on my eight core Power9 versus this thing. 32 threads of screaming ppc64le versus… this.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Hasturtium posted:

Y’know, this would be riotously funny to run and compare on my eight core Power9 versus this thing. 32 threads of screaming ppc64le versus… this.

That’d be brilliant. The script can only guess at 2-way SMT so for 4-way SMT you’ll have to pass -j32 as well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cygni posted:

Some rumors about the core counts of Raptor Lake Refresh are going around, its from RedGaming so... you know..

Has the “MAKE MORE CORES” meme completely reversed?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So the 14600K is going to have the same core config as the 13700K, which was the same as the 12900K. Both of those had stock power limits of 240W and would happily pull that much under full load. Please tell me the 14600K won't also be like that. What kind of i5 buyer wants to deal with that?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So the 14600K is going to have the same core config as the 13700K, which was the same as the 12900K. Both of those had stock power limits of 240W and would happily pull that much under full load. Please tell me the 14600K won't also be like that. What kind of i5 buyer wants to deal with that?

It's okay, it'll be on 4nm instead of 7nm, so it'll only pull 200W! :science:

I look forward to the 14900KS using more power than an RTX 4080

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

That’d be brilliant. The script can only guess at 2-way SMT so for 4-way SMT you’ll have to pass -j32 as well.

Just FYI, in poking through the script the command used to determine -j’s default value accurately returned 32 on the Power9. I’ll let you know numbers after the grinding has concluded, but the A9 basically feels like a Core 2 Duo, and the Power9 is closer to a 3950x.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Kazinsal posted:

It's okay, it'll be on 4nm instead of 7nm, so it'll only pull 200W! :science:

I look forward to the 14900KS using more power than an RTX 4080

The 14600k will be Raptor Lake again, so it’s still Intel 7.

The wildcard might be if Intel activates DLVR, which may significantly help power efficiency.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

Meteor Lake is only going to be on mobile though, and they've already split the core counts and naming on mobile vs desktop as it is. Dunno if what Meteor Lake is doing in laptops will impact the desktop SKU positioning much.

this is another case of “leakers have thoroughly covered their bases by speculating every reasonable possibility and will draw the bullseye around the one that hits”. Some rumors actually have lower tier desktop products as being meteor lake, possibly in the first half of next year.

Honestly the relative lack of clarity for something that’s supposed to come out in this quarter probably points to it not being meteor lake (whole new processor tends to produce enough smoke at the partners to be noticed) and perhaps argues against DLVR (one would think you’d need some voltage stuff patched into the bios that would potentially be noticed). On the other hand they gotta be getting the power savings to bump core count from somewhere, unless they’re just going Full Inferno 300W power draw.

I’d put it maybe 25% there’s a meteor lake partial release 1H next year, maybe 60/40 if Raptor Lake Refresh has the DLVR.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Meteor Lake S was supposed to use LGA1851 as well, and if the board partners are really about to launch a whole slew of new boards with a new socket, they have certainly done a much better job than usual keeping that under wraps.

Also Intel's own (simplified) public roadmaps don't have any Meteor Lake-S on em, but you never know.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Kazinsal posted:

All right, numbers have been run. The time needed to compile the x86_64 version of the GCC 13.1.0 + binutils toolchain with the helpful link you posted:

IBM Power9, 8 cores 32 threads (-j 32), 32GB DDR4-2666 dual-channel, Samsung 870 256GB SATA SSD
real 9m45.233s
user 124m55.872s
sys 3m58.117s

AMD A9 9400, 2 cores(ish) 2 threads (-j 4 - don't ask), 8GB DDR4-1600 dual-channel, 128GB generic SATA M.2
real 80m30.175s
user 127m45.480s
sys 17m51.778s

If anything, I'm a little surprised the A9 didn't take even longer.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

will they even work with the cheap OG LGA1700 mobos

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Palladium posted:

will they even work with the cheap OG LGA1700 mobos

Yes, most LGA1700 boards have already been updated for 14th gen. All Giga boards have already been updated, for example.

(with the asterisk about DLVR support, which is still unconfirmed if it will be turned on or how it will work)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/ServeTheHome/status/1681445261762236416

ASUS taking over the manufacturing/support for current NUCs, standing up a business unit to take the brand moving forward.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

USB4 and occulink connectors have made AMD mini PCs pretty viable these days

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Sᴀɴᴛᴀ Cʟᴀʀᴀ (Bloomberg Business Wire) Intel today moved to sell its unprofitable "Intel" brand of CPUs, graphics chips, and semiconductor fabs. Going forward the company will concentrate on the remaining profitable sectors: bunnysuit plushies, youtube 90s tech nostalgia channels, and royalties from the valuable "Moore's Law" trademark.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

shrike82 posted:

USB4 and occulink connectors have made AMD mini PCs pretty viable these days

a combination oculink and thunderbolt egpu dock hit the market, and after benchmarks, it's not even funny how much bandwidth thunderbolt overhead consumes, which makes one wonder, why consumers even let it get to market dominance in the first place.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

a combination oculink and thunderbolt egpu dock hit the market, and after benchmarks, it's not even funny how much bandwidth thunderbolt overhead consumes, which makes one wonder, why consumers even let it get to market dominance in the first place.

I have some bad news about USB

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't think consumers had much say in the matter.

I'd also somewhat question TB having "dominance". Apart from being widely used in a corporate setting for laptop docks, it really doesn't have much penetration. Consumer usage of TB devices has to be extremely minimal.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had always assumed that thunderbolt just passed the pcie lanes through but I guess there is more to it than that.

Also lol oculink, rest in piss

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

USB wouldn’t suck if you decided not to have a protocol that allows companies to sell the cheapest rear end garbage tier gizmos that can talk to a computer. But that kind of defeats the purpose of it

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jul 19, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/ServeTheHome/status/1681445261762236416

ASUS taking over the manufacturing/support for current NUCs, standing up a business unit to take the brand moving forward.
Asus' line of completely fanless UCFF systems are already some of the best you can buy, especially the N100 based one that just recently launched and which can already be had for under $250 (sans memory and storage).

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
do not pursue NUC BU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rock Solid. NUC Touching.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

USB wouldn’t suck if you decided not to have a protocol that allows companies to sell the cheapest rear end garbage tier gizmos that can talk to a computer. But that kind of defeats the purpose of it

I like using cdc-ecm as an example of what issues crop up with usb protocols, Wikipedia has a good article on Ethernet over USB which includes:

quote:

Of these protocols, ECM could be classified the simplest—frames are simply sent and received without modification one at a time. This was a satisfactory strategy for USB 1.1 systems (current when the protocol was issued) with 64 byte packets but not for USB 2.0 systems which use 512 byte packets.

One significant problem is, the Ethernet frames are about 1500 bytes in size—about 3 USB 2.0 packets, and 23 USB 1.1 packets. The USB system works by each packet being sent as a transfer, a series of maximum-length packets terminated by a short packet or a special ZLP (zero-length packet). After this, there is bus latency, where nothing is sent until another transfer can be initiated. Such reduces bus occupancy, meaning that nothing is sent for considerable fractions of bus time. A gap every 23 frames is not noticeable, but a gap every three frames can be viewed as very costly to throughput.

USB: the worst interface besides all the others

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Just give me a serial interface that I can connect mpd to via netgraph(4).

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

USB2 being a broadcast bus has a lot to do with some of the protocol jank (periods of expected idle as example). It being a broadcast bus I think also stems from being designed for cheap rear end poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Just give me a serial interface that I can connect mpd to via netgraph(4).

CDC-ACM has the same issues

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

it was faster than usb3 and could run pcie devices

nobody else was selling a pcie breakout solution less janky than running a loose flex out the side of your pc as far as anyone knew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://tenstorrent.com/research/the-ojo-yoshi-report-jim-kellers-journey-from-cpus-to-ceo/

quote:

Keller’s next stop was Intel, where he had 10,000 underlings — another huge change.

Thus far, Keller has said little about why he left Intel in June, 2020. He told us last week that his experience there was “super fun.” Despite encountering many surprises along the way, Keller, looking back, is confident that he fixed a few things at the behemoth.

It’s more than likely that Keller faced resistance to the changes he introduced. Nonetheless, he stressed the positive connections he made at Intel while serving as senior vice president. “Believe me, I got hugged a lot at Intel.”

As Keller related, he came to Intel thinking he was going to “build these great supercomputers with all this great technology.” He quickly found out that “almost every methodology and process Intel had was broken.” He blamed this on the tendency to keep doing the same thing for too long, neglecting to change with the times.

Keller took this reporter’s notebook and drew a chart. “Here is a universal curve where people find problems and solve them. Then you ramp [your technology] and go into production. You reach a pinnacle. But then, you start failing.”

In his analysis, “once you get successful, you go into production for a while, and the world [around you] starts to change.” Meanwhile, the Intel veterans who worked hard to lead the company and develop products were gradually disappearing. “They all retired.”

At Intel, “we had to reinvent methodology, we also had to update it. They had computer design tools that were out of date 10 years.” Keller said, “We identified the problems and we solved some.”

For example, Intel’s Grand Rapids CPU got a tenfold bug reduction, said Keller. “Foundries need what’s called a physical design kit (PDK), but Intel when I joined didn’t have one. I’m not kidding.” Now Intel has a PDK.

Keller said, “I gave a talk to the Intel fellows … and I yelled at them: ‘How did you let this happen?’” Keller added, “Some people at Intel love me and others hate me.”

Keller said Intel’s culture enabled all its fellows to focus exclusively on their research, rather than peeling some away into more-diverse challenges.

“Intel went from the best-execution company on the planet to a company that took itself for granted,” he said. “Many people got promoted, more people did more research.”

Keller observed that Intel CEO “Pat Gelsinger is trying to fix that … but he also appears to believe the solution is to build more [fab] capacity which kind of makes things difficult.”