Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Hinako was my physical-shitkicker and she wrecked face. Multi-Strike was godly in that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Less enemies have Repel Phys so you don't have to worry about phys attackers being walled by dudes they can't touch.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Physical is fine, unlike DS1 there are not a ton of Phys Reflect enemies in the endgame. The bigger problem is that there are only so many good physical skills and you might as well stick them on characters with outrageous Strength like Jungo rather than your MC.

One of my favorite things to do in DS2 is put Assassinate/Pierce on Jungo with Evil Flow and snipe every single enemy on the map.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Jungo Torii is the bomb diggity.

swimming anime
Jan 4, 2006

I just started watching the p4 anime for the first time, and Aiko is best waifu by a factor of 10.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Late to the part but I really liked the second P3 movie theme.

And yeah Ai is great.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

swimming anime posted:

I just started watching the p4 anime for the first time, and Aiko is best waifu by a factor of 10.

Just so you know, Persona 4 Golden the animation pretty much is all about Marie, but the episode "Not so Holy Christmas Eve" works great as an OVA

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

swimming anime posted:

Aika is the best thing about the anime. Well, her and the two summer break episodes, which are hilarious.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Harrow posted:

Aika is the best thing about the anime. Well, her and the two summer break episodes, which are hilarious.

Bring back Magical Girl Detective Loveline for P5.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
How are the P3 movies?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Unmature posted:

How are the P3 movies?

I've only seen the first one, but it wasn't bad. The music's great, and I think they did a much better job with the action scenes than they did in the P4 anime. Pretty much all of the social link stuff is cut out--it basically laser-focuses on SEES, which oddly enough doesn't help the pacing as much as you'd think.

Makoto (the protagonist) is a stereotypical "emo kid" at the start, though. I winced at a couple of his lines that I think were supposed to come off as either "cool" or "dark." I'm not sure that disliking that version of him is unintentional, though, given that, y'know, character development happens.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Unmature posted:

How are the P3 movies?

There's only one you can actually watch with subs, the other two are nowhere near bluray release. But you should download the first one it's great

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The decision to do Persona 3 as a series of movies instead of as an anime series was pretty smart, I think. While the Persona 4 anime would've suffered without the social link stuff (which made up some of the best episodes), the Persona 3 movie is better for being focused entirely around SEES. The pacing's still a little weird, but you're always going to get that when you're adapting a video game. I could also envision a good Persona 3 series, still without most of the social links, and just giving everything a little more room to breathe, but the movie works surprisingly well.

They kind of had to reach to find a good climax for the first movie, I thought. That boss battle never felt particularly climactic to me in the game. I imagine the other movies have much better spots to end.

Here's a fight scene from the P3 movie. I think they did a lot better adapting the action suggested by the games in this one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oleofIzcXfg

(Although I admit I started to like the "Personas do all the fighting" thing in the P4 anime a lot more in the last few episodes, where the battle with Adachi really came across as a literalized battle of ideals.)

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 19, 2015

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, the Emperor and Empress are kind of lame in general so having them be the climax is a bit iffy.
I think they're trying to have character development for the P3 protagonist since you can just play him as a goody two shoes the whole game long, but that doesn't translate as well into a show/movie I guess? At least not in this context maybe.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was a good idea to not put the social links in the P3 movies because the P3 social links are bad.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

It was a good idea to not put the social links in the P3 movies because the P3 social links are bad.

I dunno, I wanted to see the MC pick on the gourmet king.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Golden Goat posted:

I dunno, I wanted to see the MC pick on the gourmet king.

Please tell me I'm not the only who thought that social link didn't make any loving sense whatsoever. :psyduck:

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't even get to rank like 3 in that one. How does it go?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

cmykjester posted:

a fat guy who considers himself a food expert gets involved in a cult or... something.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

cmykjester posted:

I think the later bits go into how Gourmet King felt super inferior to his brother and his parents favored him to the King and because of that he joined a cult or something and recruited a lot of people to join for a tidy sum of at least 130000 yen. Some people he recruited got mad at him so they went to go beat him up for his money and then he broke down in tears and they told the king to go gently caress off.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

He never really left that cult did he.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

cmykjester posted:

A blubbery twat tries to scam people into paying to join his end of the world cult. Then he almost gets beaten up and becomes a food critic.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

Color Printer posted:

Please tell me I'm not the only who thought that social link didn't make any loving sense whatsoever. :psyduck:

Even meeting that guy would have required talking to that Magician dork more than once and I sure as hell wasn't going to do that.

Seeing his expectant face turn up whenever I ran past him to hang out with (comparatively) cooler people and then see his head sag down afterward every day for months was pretty much the most fun I had with that game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

also to get the gourmet king to like you, you have to feed him rancid gravy scraped off the floor of tartarus

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That is pretty weird. I'm not sure what I'd pick as my favorite persona3 social link. Probably finding cats with Aigis or hanging out with the French Weaboo guy.

Having most of them being your Party Members on P4 was a really good idea.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

cmykjester posted:

Having most of them being your Party Members on P4 was a really good idea.

Eh, it had its downsides too. By separating their character growth from the main plot, their social links were basically all forced to just be "I'm gonna keep doing what I was doing before, except secretly more enthusiastically!" while at the same time preventing them from having any major growth during the main story like they did in P3. I mean, it certainly makes a lot more sense to spend your time hanging out with the people in your party instead of the Gourmet King or whatever, but it emphasizes the strange gap between the plot and what you spend 90% of the time doing.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

More design stuff:

Also, what do you all think of not having HP-cost attacks?
There are so many ways to heal yourself in any SMT game. By comparison, SP is hard to regen so making the only pool they can use their, possibly very tiny, SP is generally a bad idea without having just as many SP 'healing' spells.

Good ideas otherwise.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I liked Maiko, the little kid by the shrine. Also everything connected to sports (Kenji, Rio, Yuko).

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

projecthalaxy posted:

I liked Maiko, the little kid by the shrine. Also everything connected to sports (Kenji, Rio, Yuko).

:stare:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I really liked Akinari, his link was depressing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Not Kenji. What's the dudes name, your male sports rival who busts his leg and gives you bandages.

E: Kazushi! It was Kazushi. Also Saori's pretty rad.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 19, 2015

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BFC posted:

There are so many ways to heal yourself in any SMT game. By comparison, SP is hard to regen so making the only pool they can use their, possibly very tiny, SP is generally a bad idea without having just as many SP 'healing' spells.

Good ideas otherwise.

There are lots of ways to heal yourself in a Persona video game, but I'm not yet sure how plentiful healing will be in the tabletop RPG version. Like, the whole Dia line is there, but it costs SP, and I don't think I want gameplay to revolve around making sure the party stocks up on Medicines before going demon-fighting.

As for restoring SP, my current idea is to let you regain SP up to a threshold after every encounter. Say you have 30 max SP (which is a respectable, though not excessive, amount in this system). Your SP "threshold" is 15. So if you spend 12 SP in an encounter, you'll have full SP after. If you spend 15 SP in an encounter, you'll have full SP after. If you spend 16 SP, you'll have 29 SP after the encounter. The reason I'm calling it a "threshold" is that you can't make up that extra spend SP until you get a full rest in (usually sleeping overnight). So if you spend 10 SP in the next encounter, you'll still only recover up to 29. If you spend 20 in the next encounter, you'll recover 15 SP after and be up to 24 SP, which is now your new "soft" maximum until you get a full rest.

(For context, almost nothing costs more than a single-digit amount of SP in the system as it stands right now. In fact, if something costs more than 7, you can be assured that it's both worth it and something that's worth using only when absolutely necessary. One exception is Megidolaon, but if that's not both really powerful and really SP-inefficient, it ain't Megidolaon.)

The idea is to let you spend SP pretty freely in battle, but also have a mechanism for SP attrition. The attrition is there not to punish players for using their cool abilities too often, but to allow for that feeling of "I'm pulling out all the stops for this one!" that you can't really get if you just recovered all your SP after every battle.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Harrow posted:

There are lots of ways to heal yourself in a Persona video game, but I'm not yet sure how plentiful healing will be in the tabletop RPG version. Like, the whole Dia line is there, but it costs SP, and I don't think I want gameplay to revolve around making sure the party stocks up on Medicines before going demon-fighting.

As for restoring SP, my current idea is to let you regain SP up to a threshold after every encounter. Say you have 30 max SP (which is a respectable, though not excessive, amount in this system). Your SP "threshold" is 15. So if you spend 12 SP in an encounter, you'll have full SP after. If you spend 15 SP in an encounter, you'll have full SP after. If you spend 16 SP, you'll have 29 SP after the encounter. The reason I'm calling it a "threshold" is that you can't make up that extra spend SP until you get a full rest in (usually sleeping overnight). So if you spend 10 SP in the next encounter, you'll still only recover up to 29. If you spend 20 in the next encounter, you'll recover 15 SP after and be up to 24 SP, which is now your new "soft" maximum until you get a full rest.

(For context, almost nothing costs more than a single-digit amount of SP in the system as it stands right now. In fact, if something costs more than 7, you can be assured that it's both worth it and something that's worth using only when absolutely necessary. One exception is Megidolaon, but if that's not both really powerful and really SP-inefficient, it ain't Megidolaon.)

The idea is to let you spend SP pretty freely in battle, but also have a mechanism for SP attrition. The attrition is there not to punish players for using their cool abilities too often, but to allow for that feeling of "I'm pulling out all the stops for this one!" that you can't really get if you just recovered all your SP after every battle.

So Persona Q?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BrightWing posted:

So Persona Q?

That would have been a much more succinct way of describing it, yes. Although it doesn't apply to HP and has nothing to do with what Persona you're using, but yeah, it's basically an SP buffer just like sub-Personas.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

King of Solomon posted:

I really liked Akinari, his link was depressing.
This, Hermit and the old monk you drink in a bar with are the best S.Links in Male Persona 3.

Pretty much everyone in Female Persona 3 is better and cuter. (except maybe Hermit because Male Hermit is real good)

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Unmature posted:

How are the P3 movies?

Thought the first one really bad, but I'm probably the minority.

Man that final fight scene was lame.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hace posted:

Thought the first one really bad, but I'm probably the minority.

Man that final fight scene was lame.

I thought it was mostly good, but yeah, the final fight scene was kinda... eh. I get that they needed some kind of climax for the movie but the Emperor/Empress fight just can't sustain any meaningful level of drama. I don't know where the second and third movies end, but I imagine there are much more natural "climactic scenes" to end on for those.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Clarste posted:

Eh, it had its downsides too. By separating their character growth from the main plot, their social links were basically all forced to just be "I'm gonna keep doing what I was doing before, except secretly more enthusiastically!" while at the same time preventing them from having any major growth during the main story like they did in P3. I mean, it certainly makes a lot more sense to spend your time hanging out with the people in your party instead of the Gourmet King or whatever, but it emphasizes the strange gap between the plot and what you spend 90% of the time doing.

I would hope they alter this in P5 by having more notable character changes as you progress through their social links. The problem with P4 was that your party members acted the same no matter where you were in their social links. It wouldn't be too hard to change that by adding flags, the character says a different thing depending on how many social link flags they've hit. Something like that would probably make the story feel more dynamic and cohesive.

Either way, party members need to be social links. It was one of the best changes made for girl route P3P.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Persona 4 actually did have your party members have different things to say depending on how far you were in their S Links but only when you were talking to them while dungeon crawling so most people never see it. It's nothing really major but you'll have Kanji worrying about his mum or talking about how he's making figures for those kids, depending on where in the S Link you are. It'd be cool if they managed to integrate that better into the main plot for Persona 5, but since they're apparently changing the social link system up a little perhaps they've already thought of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Kanji and Naoto have cute dungeon chats if they're not in your party but that would require not using Kanji and what kind of lovely broken person doesn't use Kanji Tatsumi