Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat
Dodging the cancer bullet by making GBS threads like a motherfucker

E: Yes! The best snipe!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.
In the vast majority of cities, breathing is known to cause cancer, even when pollution of particles from vehicles is within safe limits, those safe limits just mean you have a 1 in 10000 chance of breathing in the dangerous particles from car exhausts rather than a 1 in 1000 chance.

Each day hundreds of people are diagnosed with cancer as a consequence of engaging in "breathing" while in cities.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Have we tried to get them to stop breathing?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Applebee123 posted:

In the vast majority of cities, breathing is known to cause cancer, even when pollution of particles from vehicles is within safe limits, those safe limits just mean you have a 1 in 10000 chance of breathing in the dangerous particles from car exhausts rather than a 1 in 1000 chance.

Each day hundreds of people are diagnosed with cancer as a consequence of engaging in "breathing" while in cities.

When choosing a home, school or day care, aim for locations as far from the freeway as possible.

Avoid sites within 500 feet — where California air quality regulators warn against building — or even 1,000 feet. That’s where traffic pollution is generally highest, along with rates of asthma, cancer, heart attacks, strokes, reduced lung function, pre-term births and a growing list of other health problems.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Arrhythmia posted:

Have we tried to get them to stop breathing?

The cancer eventually takes care of that, so it's a closed-loop process!

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Karate Bastard posted:

Carbon dating works by means of estimating the time since a then-living object last interacted with the atmosphere, which contains radioactive C-14, which decays over millennia in living and dead objects. Anything living or dead within the last fifty millennia including yourself, and the atmosphere, may give you cancer. Especially yourself may give you cancer.

Aren't bananas also particularly high when it comes to ATOMZ, also brazil nuts if a episode of House is right.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

Aren't bananas also particularly high when it comes to ATOMZ, also brazil nuts if a episode of House is right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sagebrush posted:

Any object containing vinyl theoretically requires that warning on it, which means a vast number of cheap plastic objects and most products incorporating fake leather or rubberized coatings.

It's also on most plastic water bottles because of the trace amounts of BHA on them from polycarbonate manufacturing.

The dumbest one I've yet seen was a sign in a parking garage saying the environment was known to contain a cancer-causing chemical (car exhaust).

i was on a business trip once to irvine and the client site was in a low rise multi tenant office building. the central lobby, technically inside the front door, was a very nice exposed courtyard with trees and flowers and it was just lovely. when i went outside i noticed there was a label next to the door saying that the area contained carcinogenic substances

also, my hotel had a big plaque on the wall of the lobby that said in giant all caps letters ALCOHOL IS KNOWN TO CAUSE FETAL BIRTH DEFECTS IN PREGNANT WOMEN. it was a hotel. they did not serve alcohol. just a little love note from the state of california letting you know about fetal alcohol syndrome

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat
Tobacco also is naturally radioactive from preferentially enriching lead-210 and polonium-210 lol isotopes. Tobacco companies tried their damnedest to hush this down and breed it out of the plant. In the end it proved impossible and they were like welp because the radioactive lead and polonium lol are only two of hundreds of poisons in that poo poo plant and not the worst of them either.

E: good vid https://youtube.com/watch?v=TRL7o2kPqw0

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 12, 2018

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Tobacco being incredibly addictive yet deadly has reaffirmed my belief that somewhere out there there is a god who has had enough of humanity's bullshit.

Kind of like how poison ivy only affects humans.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Applebee123 posted:

Eating say grilled food can double your risk, but its doubling something that has a low probability. You can counteract it by eating a diet rich in anti-oxidants which could half your risk,

Bzzt.

The idea behind antioxidants being anticarcinogens is that free radicals, molecules with unpaired electrons, can damage DNA or cause other cellular damage that eventually leads to cancer, and that consumption of antioxidants, which can react with and neutralize these free radicals, can prevent that damage.

The trouble is that free radicals are also necessary for normal life processes. "Antioxidant," like "free radical," is just a broad classification that tells you little. Antioxidants that eat a free radical that was going to damage your DNA are good, but those same antioxidants could also eat up the nitric oxide molecules that themselves protect your cells from damage and oxidative stress, and wind up causing cancer. Antioxidants can themselves be carcinogens (and a number are even known to the state of California to cause cancer!), in some cases because they're just flat-out carcinogenic in the first place, but partly because the same free radicals that they scavenge *also* can kill cancer cells, so by taking antioxidants to protect yourself from cancer you are also promoting survival for any cancer cells that do develop. Taking beta-carotene makes it more likely for smokers to develop lung cancer. Taking a lot of Vitamin E increases the risk of prostate cancer. Etc.

quote:

by exercising reguarly so that a fresh supply of blood cells are constantly pumped to all parts of your body and waste from destroyed cells is quickly pumped out the body.

This is pseudoscientific gobbledygook, just like detoxing or alkaline food is. A fresh supply of blood cells are constantly pumped to all parts of your body if you just sit in a chair like a lump all day. That's literally what your circulatory system does. Being fit is healthier than being a lump, but it's not for those reasons.

PhazonLink posted:

Your prototypical 70kg adult body has about 4000 becquerels of potassium-40 and 3000 Bq of carbon-14 in it.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 12, 2018

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yes because we all know the wonders that siting in a chair all day does for your circulatory system

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boner confessor posted:

it was a hotel. they did not serve alcohol.

That can't be right?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ekuNNN posted:

That can't be right?

there are tons of hotels that dont serve alcohol. they're not the nice ones

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ekuNNN posted:

That can't be right?

Let Us Spray

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

theflyingexecutive posted:

Yes because we all know the wonders that siting in a chair all day does for your circulatory system

It's unhealthy but not because stale blood is building up in your sump or whatever

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boner confessor posted:

there are tons of hotels that dont serve alcohol. they're not the nice ones

Note that your typical holiday inn express like hotel may not have a bar but be licensed to serve alcohol so events with alcohol can be hosted. Thats probably why they had the sign up.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

boner confessor posted:

also, my hotel had a big plaque on the wall of the lobby that said in giant all caps letters ALCOHOL IS KNOWN TO CAUSE FETAL BIRTH DEFECTS IN PREGNANT WOMEN. it was a hotel. they did not serve alcohol. just a little love note from the state of california letting you know about fetal alcohol syndrome

We got one of those signs from a server training put on by the state liquor patrol. My suggestion was to put it on the women's bathroom door. 2nd best targeted location in the bar. After the toilet side of the stall doors in the women's room.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

hobbesmaster posted:

Note that your typical holiday inn express like hotel may not have a bar but be licensed to serve alcohol so events with alcohol can be hosted. Thats probably why they had the sign up.

yeah but california is almost as bad as the uk in terms of warning signs

pretty nice when driving around though, all the streets in developed areas are very well labeled

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat
Warning sir, this country may contain edged weapons.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Let Us Spray

I would be so mist.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

ekuNNN posted:

That can't be right?

Snake-handling not getting you in touch with THE LORD? Try the Church of Pathogen-handling! Just off of Route 6, behind the Denny's.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

haveblue posted:

It's unhealthy but not because stale blood is building up in your sump or whatever

No that’s basically how it works. Reduced aerobic activity leads to reduced endothelial muscle tone leads to reduced renal clearance. Your blood gets “stale” and full of toxins

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Someone somewhere on these forums put it best quoting their oncologist, "Every body develops cancer eventually, the trick is putting it off long enough for something else to kill you first."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

duz posted:

No, I'm pretty sure it was known then and the general public is just dumb as dirt. See requiring "treated with radiation" and "contains GMOs" labels.

It’s bullshit that food can’t be labelled “organic” if it was irradiated.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

ekuNNN posted:

That can't be right?

What on earth

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

shame on an IGA posted:

Someone somewhere on these forums put it best quoting their oncologist, "Every body develops cancer eventually, the trick is putting it off long enough for something else to kill you first."

IIRC octopuses will always die of cancer in captivity but generally they die of something else first in the wild

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

ekuNNN posted:

That can't be right?

Second-rate punks. The altar boy should be carrying a backpack with an incense smoke generator and the priest should have a leaf blower with 234 MPH 765 CFM AIR BLAST!!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Maybe it's holy water. That would be a good improvised weapon against vampires.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arrhythmia posted:

What on earth

Between heaven and earth, I think you'll find

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Soiled Meat

shame on an IGA posted:

Or as my friend the oncologist said: we give you the possibility to die from something else.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Just holy water. Way more efficient than trying to aspergillum everyone the old-fashioned way.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Snake-handling not getting you in touch with THE LORD? Try the Church of Pathogen-handling! Just off of Route 6, behind the Denny's.
Smart move, I bet Denny's has plenty of pathogens to donate.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A classic:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

hailthefish posted:

Just holy water. Way more efficient than trying to aspergillum everyone the old-fashioned way.

Why has this never been a Castlevania subweapon?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

theflyingexecutive posted:

No that’s basically how it works. Reduced aerobic activity leads to reduced endothelial muscle tone leads to reduced renal clearance. Your blood gets “stale” and full of toxins

Please specify these toxins and how a reduced heart rate prevents your liver and kidneys from effectively dealing with them.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Is this the thread for recognizing society's gross glorification of sitting on our asses in style and moving fast enough to die instantly

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

boner confessor posted:

i was on a business trip once to irvine and the client site was in a low rise multi tenant office building. the central lobby, technically inside the front door, was a very nice exposed courtyard with trees and flowers and it was just lovely. when i went outside i noticed there was a label next to the door saying that the area contained carcinogenic substances

The best is when you come across an Amazon review from someone outside CA who received an item marked with the Prop 65 cancer warning label and absolutely FLIP OUT in the comments and rate the product a 1 star.

This was one I came across yesterday. It's just a mesh pouch that goes into a tent to hold your flashlight.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Please specify these toxins and how a reduced heart rate prevents your liver and kidneys from effectively dealing with them.

one of my students was talking to another about the juice cleanse she's apparently on and her explanation was "it's like a car engine, right? you have to shut it down sometimes or it gets all clogged up with...stuff. your body is the same and you have to give it a break to get rid of all the bad stuff that builds up when you're eating like normal. so i can only drink water the first three days, then i can only eat fruit but as much fruit as i want," blah blah blah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sagebrush posted:

one of my students was talking to another about the juice cleanse she's apparently on and her explanation was "it's like a car engine, right? you have to shut it down sometimes or it gets all clogged up with...stuff. your body is the same and you have to give it a break to get rid of all the bad stuff that builds up when you're eating like normal. so i can only drink water the first three days, then i can only eat fruit but as much fruit as i want," blah blah blah

I hope she got an F from you.