Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
I liked the idea of Bucky Cap in the comics because it was this Super-Kill-Guy struggling with being an altruistic hero.

I think making Super-Kill-Guy the new Captain America in the movies sends the wrong message regardless of intent, basically it's an NRA wet dream and the symbol of the American (wet)dream should be something more positive and inclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

That wasn't my problem. My problem was you saying "gently caress this dude made comic" without taking a second to find out that the writer was a woman. And your defense was "Devin isn't a woman's name."

i mean, this was your response

Rhyno posted:

One of the best run on Wonder Woman in the history of the character was written by a man. Squirrel Girl is written by a man. America Chavez was created and defined by a man.

I don't understand.

it didnt have anything to do with my mistaking devin for a man

and yeah since i didnt know that devin was also a commonly used female name as well, i had no reason (to my mind) that devin was a woman. and as soon as i was corrected i corrected the post. i dunno what the big deal it there. like, admitting the mistake and correcting yourself is generally rule #1

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
You never responded to my comment in that thread and you didn't correct yourself, other posters did. You were just being angry about it for the sake of being angry and it evaporated the second you were shown to be in error. From your post all I could see was that unless a woman is written by a woman it's automatically bad.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ugh this argument

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shageletic posted:

ugh this argument

You're right. I'm done and I apologize for dragging this out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bucky is cool and I like him better than Falcon so he should be the next Cap.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Going from the stinger in the Black Panther credits, have Bucky become White Wolf and be grouchy about not getting the shield instead of Sam. Naturally he tries to show he's better going after some macguffin and they keep getting in each others way, go for a "too many cooks" thing rather than the head-on conflicting moralities of Civil War. Slap the right special effects and more of a story on that and you've got yourself a movie.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah I like both you guys but this could probably take place over DM. Especially since you don't appear to disagree on anything really.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

You never responded to my comment in that thread and you didn't correct yourself, other posters did. You were just being angry about it for the sake of being angry and it evaporated the second you were shown to be in error. From your post all I could see was that unless a woman is written by a woman it's automatically bad.

yeah tbh im just ignoring your posts for a while its not worth it to me because you clearly dont respect opinions on representation by those being represented and coming from someone i thought i could trust that shot my anxiety through the roof but i couldnt contain myself today

and i mean if you interpret wanting to see women write women and being "unethused" (and that is the word i used, unenthused) when it doesnt happen as anger well thats on you

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah I like both you guys but this could probably take place over DM. Especially since you don't appear to disagree on anything really.

fair

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bruceski posted:

Naturally he tries to show he's better going after some macguffin and they keep getting in each others way, go for a "too many cooks" thing rather than the head-on conflicting moralities of Civil War.

I'm down for Smarf as the new Cap.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Bruceski posted:

Going from the stinger in the Black Panther credits, have Bucky become White Wolf and be grouchy about not getting the shield instead of Sam. Naturally he tries to show he's better going after some macguffin and they keep getting in each others way, go for a "too many cooks" thing rather than the head-on conflicting moralities of Civil War. Slap the right special effects and more of a story on that and you've got yourself a movie.

i would like to see this lol

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
We can all agree that Vision is probably toast, right? I'm not sure he can really live without that infinity stone in his head, but I'm not sure. Maybe they'll come up with some magic bullshit way to keep him alive without it

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I kind of feel that neither is any good for the role since Bucky's rep is clouded and doesn't have the development Bru gave him, and Falcon isn't Cap's long-standing buddy with the same history as the comics, so neither really resonates with me.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Thanos will see how much removing the stone is hurting Vision and then he'll go "oh my gosh I'm sorry, I didn't want to hurt anyone" and then he'll go home. That shot's actually from the last scene in the movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's not like they've really used Vision much at all before now, but I mean he's an android, they can always just kill him and then make him a new body when they get the Mind Stone back. He's been blown up in the comics more than twice.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Just make Captains America starring Falcon and Bucky as the bickering Good Cop/Bad Cop duo.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They can each use half of Cap's new shield.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Scaramouche posted:

I kind of feel that neither is any good for the role since Bucky's rep is clouded and doesn't have the development Bru gave him, and Falcon isn't Cap's long-standing buddy with the same history as the comics, so neither really resonates with me.

These are films, though, not comics. There's a certain amount of compression that has to be involved. It's the same as when, in Civil War, Cap says "He's my friend" and Tony responds with "So was I". Was he? The movies don't really show Tony and Steve being chums explicitly. We, the audience, have to infer it from context clues (like the Mjolnir lifting scene and incidental dialogue). By the same token, it's literally impossible for movie Cap and Falcon to have 50 years' worth of backstory, but Sam's been hanging around with Steve for four or five years at least by the time Infinity War rolls around. We may have only been there to see the really big moments, because we only get a movie every couple of years instead of a comic every month, but we, the audience, can infer a pretty solid, storied friendship.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Aphrodite posted:

They can each use half of Cap's new shield.

when they combine halves they control the captain america zord

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

site posted:

when they combine halves they control the captain america zord

A cheesy 90s rock version of the Captain America song then plays.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/sofboutellas/status/976835774552395777

works for me

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Phylodox posted:

These are films, though, not comics. There's a certain amount of compression that has to be involved. It's the same as when, in Civil War, Cap says "He's my friend" and Tony responds with "So was I". Was he? The movies don't really show Tony and Steve being chums explicitly. We, the audience, have to infer it from context clues (like the Mjolnir lifting scene and incidental dialogue).

Well, that's a huge problem with Civil War; we're supposed to feel ~emotions~ because Iron Man and Captain America are ~supposed to be friends~, but they spend most of Avengers snarking at one another, almost all of Age of Ultron just barely stopping from punching each other in the face, and even at the beginning of Civil War it's not like they're exactly getting along.

There's context clues and then there's "we really wanted to do Civil War, to hell with actually having a reason for it."

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
e: ^^^ Just like the actual comic!

Pigbuster posted:

Oh man, just remembered one of my favorite things: the turing-machine supercomputer. God drat that reveal was incredible, and it's such a wonderfully pulpy concept.

Are you talking about Zola? That's still one of the best pieces of production design in the entire MCU.

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 22, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

there should have been at least a scene or two somewhere of Steve and Tony hanging out. but I get the feeling that Tony has always resented Cap because of his relationship with Howard and probably the way he talked him up growing up

it's fun reading between the lines!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I think of scenes like when they were messing with Thor about Mjolnir in Ultron and kinda let that inform their friendship. I doubt they do each other's nails, but I got enough of a sense of respect. In Civil War when they get ready to talk about the Accords, Steve thinks Pepper is pregnant and he gets so excited for a second.

It's only a big problem if you're a pedant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's a chunk of fans who want to see the interpersonal developments be a larger part of the films. I'd love to see more of them just hanging out but they can't sacrifice the action and fights for Steve, Clint and Sam playing darts in a bar for half an hour.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tony and Steve chopped wood. That's how men hang out right?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Every character should get extra scenes of what they're doing when not avenging, like Thor and Bruce before Ragnarok.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I finally saw Doctor Strange, and while there isn't much plot and the fight scenes are awfully busy in a distracting way, holy COW the concepts for those fight arenas and general graphic-work are incredible. How does one even think of that Hong Kong fight scene?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Also, I got to point out; being snarky and standoff-ish IS how Tony Stark treats his friends. T

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Taerkar posted:

Steve is in his deathbed, surrounded by friends and hanger-ons.

He whispers one word before he dies.

"Bucky"

Not "Martha"?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not "Martha"?

LoL. I can't wait for DP2 to troll the poo poo out of Justice League.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Also, I got to point out; being snarky and standoff-ish IS how Tony Stark treats his friends. T

That's certainly how I read it. In Avengers, there's a clear progression from Tony being downright mean to Steve to being snarky and upbeat like he is with his friends. Tony even admits as such to Loki, that Steve's a living legend who actually lives up to the legend. Being snarky and a bit standoffish and occasionally playing pranks is just what Tony's like with his friends, but there's no downright rudeness to it like there is with Steve early in Avengers, or with Justin Hammer or the like.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think the rift between Steve and Tony in Civil War was more believable and supported precisely because they didn't try to pretend that they were some sort of lifelong BFFs. The MCU Avengers were always more coworkers with their own cliques and attachments within and without the team than they were some sort of magical familial unit, and Civil War used that dynamic to its benefit instead of trying to force us to think that these people aren't constantly itching to punch each other in the face.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

If only we had one comic book baseball game

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aphrodite posted:

Tony and Steve chopped wood. That's how men hang out right?

That or dig coal.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

LoL. I can't wait for DP2 to troll the poo poo out of Justice League.

Word from test screenings is it might be worse than Justice League.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Tony doesn’t really have friends, all his friends are his subordinates. He may not hang out with Steve, but he sees him as his contemporary or peer, and that’s as close to a friend as he seems to have other than Rhodey.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Word from test screenings is it might be worse than Justice League.

That would be hilarious in it's own right. But good luck convincing a die hard DP fan that it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

BrianWilly posted:

I think the rift between Steve and Tony in Civil War was more believable and supported precisely because they didn't try to pretend that they were some sort of lifelong BFFs. The MCU Avengers were always more coworkers with their own cliques and attachments within and without the team than they were some sort of magical familial unit, and Civil War used that dynamic to its benefit instead of trying to force us to think that these people aren't constantly itching to punch each other in the face.

Yeah I think of them more like coworkers too. Between avengers 1 and aou everybody's off doing their own things and they treat finishing off the Hydra bases as like the end of contract work with a celebration party before everyone splits up again.

At the same time, I also can see how Tony would think that makes them good buds because let's face it the guy only has one friend who wasn't a direct employee at some point, and even rhodey is a friend through work as a liaison, so he'd probably latch on to whoever was around and can consider a peer

Efb, drat you Shawn :argh:

• Locked thread