Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Rackspace has 'high performance' cloud servers now - http://www.rackspace.com/blog/got-the-need-for-speed-meet-performance-cloud-servers/

quote:

These servers have been engineered to deliver exceptional levels of application performance, with greater speed, throughput, reliability and scale. They are built with 100 percent data center-grade solid-state disks (SSDs). They incorporate powerful Intel® Xeon® E5 processors, as much as 120 GB of memory, and 40 gigabits per second of highly available network throughput to every host. They create a powerful hosting platform for a wide variety of workloads, ranging from basic web servers to large scale NoSQL data stores such as MongoDB and Cassandra.

In our benchmark tests, Performance Cloud Servers significantly outperformed comparatively sized Standard Cloud Servers. We saw as much as *:

2.1X more CPU performance
59X more disk I/O
3.6X more network bandwidth
2.8X better overall performance
10X better MongoDB performance

In short, the workloads that run well on Cloud Servers today will run even better on Performance Cloud Servers. But that’s not all.

Performance Cloud Servers also offer larger sizes of compute and more total performance, compared to Standard Cloud Servers, including **:

4X more memory
2X more CPU performance
132X more disk I/O
8.3X more network bandwidth
2.6X better overall performance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Can anyone recommend a good and inexpensive dedicated hosting provider with decent (not-mostly-Cogent) bandwidth? Cheap poo poo god-awful whitebox hardware is totally fine, because we've got that redundancy baked in at our app layer.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Misogynist posted:

Can anyone recommend a good and inexpensive dedicated hosting provider with decent (not-mostly-Cogent) bandwidth? Cheap poo poo god-awful whitebox hardware is totally fine, because we've got that redundancy baked in at our app layer.

OVH is always a good bet if you don't mind your location options being either France or Canada.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I want to buy both a .de and a .re address.

But I don't live in Europe, which seems to be mildly contrary to the registration restrictions I see listed for them.

Anything I should know? And where should I register for them?

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010

Eikre posted:

I want to buy both a .de and a .re address.

But I don't live in Europe, which seems to be mildly contrary to the registration restrictions I see listed for them.

Anything I should know? And where should I register for them?

.de has no restriction, gandi.net will let you register it. .re however has very strict rules, and there doesn't seem like a way around it other than to have a friend who does live the EU register it and be listed as the owner.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Get a European forwarding address from e.g. http://mailboxde.com/ and straight up lie about your country of birth

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

mmm11105 posted:

OVH is always a good bet if you don't mind your location options being either France or Canada.
They're the frontrunner, actually, but I wouldn't mind someone who's been in business in the States a little bit longer.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Misogynist posted:

They're the frontrunner, actually, but I wouldn't mind someone who's been in business in the States a little bit longer.

What are your requirements aside from not-mostly-Cogent bandwidth?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

They're pretty rad. The build times went from "shameful" to "actually useful", and the disk I/O is night and day from the old offering.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
The Provo datacenter that HostGator migrated all of their customers to (in the name of better service and hardware) after their EIG buyout is down again :bravo:

It's only been a couple months since the entire DC was down for over 8 hours during the day. So glad I switched providers.

edit: and it looks like their phone system is also down and they aren't answering any live chats.

Maniaman fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 20, 2013

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Maniaman posted:

The Provo datacenter that HostGator migrated all of their customers to (in the name of better service and hardware) after their EIG buyout is down again :bravo:

It's only been a couple months since the entire DC was down for over 8 hours during the day. So glad I switched providers.

edit: and it looks like their phone system is also down and they aren't answering any live chats.

My reseller account is working, as are all 13 of the accounts under it :shobon:

vty
Nov 8, 2007

oh dott, oh dott!

eightysixed posted:

My reseller account is working, as are all 13 of the accounts under it :shobon:

Is your server in Provo or Houston? Only Provo is affected.

Maniaman
Mar 3, 2006
Another day, another WHMCS security advisory. At least this one isn't being actively exploited in the wild.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Maniaman posted:

Another day, another WHMCS security advisory. At least this one isn't being actively exploited in the wild.

This patch addressed an issue already reported. It wasn't a big deal, the rest of the patch addresses internally identified issues.
These are the patches we want to see, not ones inspired by publicly release exploits.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Expect a bunch of security patches from WHMCS assuming they actually decide to hire a security audit company.

http://localhost.re/p/whmcs

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Spazz posted:

Expect a bunch of security patches from WHMCS assuming they actually decide to hire a security audit company.

http://localhost.re/p/whmcs

There has been nothing new there for quite some time. I'm by no means a WHMCS supporter at this point, I'm waiting for the Blesta migrator to be out of beta.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

You could always be using HostBill :v:

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

eightysixed posted:

You could always be using HostBill :v:

Oh come on, don't get me started... Hahahah

Edit: "You owe us -$4.04. Please remit payment within 7 days."

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus
I'm doing a small wordpress site with not too many resources or traffic, but I really want fast loading times to give that feeling of snappy professionalism. What benchmarks should I be looking at? Which companies? Apologies if this question has been asked. Thanks

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

DarkLotus posted:

What are your requirements aside from not-mostly-Cogent bandwidth?
That's it. Bog-standard. Facility itself shouldn't be poo poo, but we don't care much about the quality of the equipment itself (switches notwithstanding). If a server shits itself the app will connect back to a different one.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

libertao posted:

I'm doing a small wordpress site with not too many resources or traffic, but I really want fast loading times to give that feeling of snappy professionalism. What benchmarks should I be looking at? Which companies? Apologies if this question has been asked. Thanks

You should just use open shift

libertao
Jun 23, 2006
Doofus

evol262 posted:

You should just use open shift

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have no coding or website building experience, that looks a little too complex for me at this point.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

libertao posted:

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have no coding or website building experience, that looks a little too complex for me at this point.

Take advantage of free trials from different providers and see which one has the best performance and load times for your specific configuration.
It's hard to benchmark and compare shared hosts performance. Download speeds aren't indicative of server loads and performance. The speed at which the web hosts website loads is irrelevant as well since it is likely hosted on dedicated hardware and not on the same servers that they are selling hosting space on.

You really just need to try some and pick one, or get advice from people you trust. If that's goons, you're in the right place.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

libertao posted:

This is why I suggested it. Just use their WordPress gear and WordPress is the only thing you have to manage. It's substantially less technical than traditional hosting for Wordpress

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

libertao posted:

You can try wordpress.com.

There are also companies that offer wordpress optimized hosting, like wpengine, pressable, and get flywheel. They'll handle page caching and backups for you, and setup is usually one click.

As far as benchmarks go, I'd suggest that you set up trial accounts at a few hosts on your shortlist, have the same content up, and do a pagespeed test using pingdom tools or webpagetest.org. That's probably the most accurate way of getting an idea of page load times.

Bohemian Cowabunga
Mar 24, 2008

Just an FYI if anyone wants to give DigitalOcean a shot.

DigitalOcean posted:

Happy Black Friday! We're giving out a $50 (50 USD = 274 DKK) (50 USD (50 USD = 274 DKK) = 274 DKK) credit for one day only, so spread the word. Promo code is: BLACK50
http://bit.ly/1caXjlE

For existing customers, please open a new ticket titled ‘BLACK50 EXISTING’ for a special offer. We will match a $25 (25 USD = 137 DKK) (25 USD (25 USD = 137 DKK) = 137 DKK) payment (PayPal or credit card) to your account with a $25 (25 USD = 137 DKK) (25 USD (25 USD = 137 DKK) = 137 DKK) credit.

I have been very satisfied with my low usage server in the Amsterdam location, but I have mainly been using them because of their hour-based billing which have been perfect for labs and testing.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Thanks for this. Signed up! :cheers:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bohemian Cowabunga posted:

Just an FYI if anyone wants to give DigitalOcean a shot.

I have been very satisfied with my low usage server in the Amsterdam location, but I have mainly been using them because of their hour-based billing which have been perfect for labs and testing.
Sweet!

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

So DigitalOcean takes a page from AWS by screwing existing users for promotions.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I have zero need for this right now...but I got it anyway.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DNova posted:

So DigitalOcean takes a page from AWS by screwing existing users for promotions.

They're matching $25 payments for existing customers

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

They're matching $25 payments for existing customers

Yes that's quite different from a $50 credit without any obligations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DNova posted:

Yes that's quite different from a $50 credit without any obligations.

It's better than nothing. I don't get mad that Best Buy has something on sale on Black Friday for $50 less than what I paid for it 6 months ago, and would be ecstatic if they were going to give me a $25 credit anyway.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

It's better than nothing. I don't get mad that Best Buy has something on sale on Black Friday for $50 less than what I paid for it 6 months ago, and would be ecstatic if they were going to give me a $25 credit anyway.

That's a terrible analogy. I'm not looking for a discount on something I purchased in the past.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

You're getting something for nothing, and it's much better for both AWS and DO to bring in new customers than reward old ones (who are already tied in and unlikely to migrate even if another provider gave you another $25). Life is unfair.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
Whose dick do I have to suck to actually get unsubscribed from Dreamhost's mailing list? After three customer support tickets closed as successful, they're still coming, and it's a vendetta at this point.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

celestial teapot posted:

Whose dick do I have to suck to actually get unsubscribed from Dreamhost's mailing list? After three customer support tickets closed as successful, they're still coming, and it's a vendetta at this point.

my general policy is that after one unsubscribe request and one week, I just mark as spam and then create a filter in outlook to automatically delete the email. After more than a year my spam folder still fills with emails from threadless :V

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Another small, and expected update from Digital Ocean - just to keep everyone informed:

DigitalOcean posted:

New Amsterdam Datacenter (AMS2)

DigitalOcean is excited to announce the opening of their second datacenter in Amsterdam (AMS2) with Shared Private Networking on all Droplets. This is highly anticipated news, as effort to expand capacity throughout Europe remains a top priority for the company, and shared private networking has been a desired feature since its debut in the NY2 datacenter.

DigitalOcean will continue to invest heavily in their infrastructure as more datacenters are added throughout the world. The company is currently exploring further expansion in locations such as the UK, sharpening their focus on adding more capacity throughout Europe.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My line is IPv6 enabled for a few days now and I'm running a Chrome plugin telling me which sites respond on what protocol. Out of curiosity, I was looking up various addresses and found a site that lists the domains related to an address. A few results turned out over 100K sites on a single IP. Is that what shared webhosting is these days? I found this pretty ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Combat Pretzel posted:

My line is IPv6 enabled for a few days now and I'm running a Chrome plugin telling me which sites respond on what protocol. Out of curiosity, I was looking up various addresses and found a site that lists the domains related to an address. A few results turned out over 100K sites on a single IP. Is that what shared webhosting is these days? I found this pretty ridiculous.

That sounds like you found a site being served by CloudFlare or something similar.