Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

ImplicitAssembler posted:

So, Cwojcik did this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lflvp1NeipA
And won the IMAC Freestyle World Championship...
Congrats dude!

Thanks dude! Just catching up with this thread after a long time away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
Quad crashed into a river. Nothing like a total loss of equipment to really make you feel awesome.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

dev null posted:

Quad crashed into a river. Nothing like a total loss of equipment to really make you feel awesome.

drat, sorry to hear about that. I have to wonder if attaching "water-wings" when flying over water might be worthwhile. At least for recovery purposes in the hopes some of the electronics survive.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

dev null posted:

Can I ask how it came to happen?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Golluk posted:

drat, sorry to hear about that. I have to wonder if attaching "water-wings" when flying over water might be worthwhile. At least for recovery purposes in the hopes some of the electronics survive.

http://www.savemyphantom.com/getterback/

You can strap those getterbacks to the legs. They basically have a water-activated buoy attached to a 10 pound kevlar line that (eventually) triggers and floats to the surface, allowing you to pull it back up out of the water. It's still destroyed but at least you get your footage and you can try to scrap the parts.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Golluk posted:

RaoulDuke12 posted:

You can strap those getterbacks to the legs. They basically have a water-activated buoy attached to a 10 pound kevlar line that (eventually) triggers and floats to the surface, allowing you to pull it back up out of the water. It's still destroyed but at least you get your footage and you can try to scrap the parts.

Not sure if he had a boat to do a recovery mission, but that's kind of what I gathered.

That is a cool little device though.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Either had interference or a connector was loose on something related to the video feed (definitely wasn't out of range and I had LOS as far as obstructions go). I wasn't flying over water, but obviously near enough that when it the video got scrambled it went off course enough that it crashed into the river/stream. The quad was actually behind me, I took off my fpv goggles but that one second it took to find it was too late.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

That's really cool, it started to sink quicker than I thought it would but flow of water was pretty fast and it just would have floated away too fast (probably would have made me feel worse) and I had no boat. And the water was too cold.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
So you just said gently caress it and left a bunch of lithium batteries and whatever else in a river? I think that's part of the reason why a lot of people don't like this hobby and why national parks banned them. I mean I get that it was an accident and there wasn't much you could do, but 'I crashed my drone into the river and just left it there' isn't really great either.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

PuTTY riot posted:

So you just said gently caress it and left a bunch of lithium batteries and whatever else in a river? I think that's part of the reason why a lot of people don't like this hobby and why national parks banned them. I mean I get that it was an accident and there wasn't much you could do, but 'I crashed my drone into the river and just left it there' isn't really great either.

Well, it was an accident. I actually wasn't flying over the river. It's October, so it's cold.

And rivers up in the mountains don't exactly stay still. So even if I did tread out into the very cold water without any change of clothes, or safety gear the loving thing wouldn't have been there. Perhaps you should google river rapids.

And lets say I did all that and found it. Then I have to get back to shore without getting swept away and drowning or getting hypothermia. Sorry that's not a great excuse for you but I didn't say gently caress it, there was nothing I could do to retrieve the quad safely or otherwise.

dr cum patrol esq fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 14, 2014

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I think its more the fact we are flying around potentially dangerous/hazardous machines, shipped cheap from China, with varying degrees of quality, and construction. Its an argument of can we be sure enough these won't fail and pose a risk, or even the pilot won't mess up and fly into something.

One of the first things I'll be getting working is the RTH function on my plane, in the hopes I'll have more options and redundancy to keep it from flying away or crashing.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dev null posted:

Well, it was an accident. I actually wasn't flying over the river. It's October, so it's cold.

And rivers up in the mountains don't exactly stay still. So even if I did tread out into the very cold water without any change of clothes, or safety gear the loving thing wouldn't have been there. Perhaps you should google river rapids.

And lets say I did all that and found it. Then I have to get back to shore without getting swept away and drowning or getting hypothermia. Sorry that's not a great excuse for you but I didn't say gently caress it, there was nothing I could do to retrieve the quad safely or otherwise.

I think the point isn't so much that it was an accident, but that there was no planning about what would happen if an accident occurred. Obviously I don't think anyone here is going to try and track you down and get you charged with illegal dumping or anything, its just a shame when a lack of planning pollutes mountain rapids. Still not as bad as some 4x4er with a leaky gas tank, in the scheme of things. Likewise I'm unclear if pooping in the river would have been better or worse than losing your quadcopter in it. Probably depends on your health.

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 14, 2014

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Trabisnikof posted:

I think the point isn't so much that it was an accident, but that there was no planning about what would happen if an accident occurred. Obviously I don't think anyone here is going to try and track you down and get you charged with illegal dumping or anything, its just a shame when a lack of planning pollutes mountain rapids. Still not as bad as some 4x4er with a leaky gas tank, in the scheme of things. Likewise I'm unclear if pooping in the river would have been better or worse than losing your quadcopter in it. Probably depends on your health.

Yeah, I'm not going to get in somebody's face about lost RC (I've lost 1-2 myself) but that doesn't mean we shouldn't plan for accidents.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Bix3, Vtx/Vrx, goggles, lots of stuff came in today!

Probably wasn't the best test, but it actually only looked like I was getting 150-200m of usable distance from the Vtx/Vrx (200mw 5.6ghz). Then again it was also at ground level and around/through a couple trees and bushes.

Before all that though, I noticed Hobby king added some mounts for adding things... which is a 4" x 2" x 1/4" aluminum plate embedded in the fuselage, under the CoG, with two tapped holes in it. This looks like a lot of extra weight, and the rest of the fuselage is thick foam there. I'm really thinking of just removing it. Why they don't use that to mount the landing gear I have no clue.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Well, I had a spotter to make sure it didn't get lost in trees or high foliage, some rope and a ladder and pretty long tree pruners to get it from a tree. I wasn't flying near the river but I was high and fast enough that even when I cut the throttle there was a enough forward momentum, it just hit the bank too. I also only fly in really rural areas so as to avoid any personal or property damage.

I can tell you I was pretty prepared to retrieve the quad in all circumstances except going into that river. I have hip waders, a fishing vest that has flotation but I didn't bring it outside because I wasn't getting into that river and even if I did it was gone.

And you can't possibly plan for all contingencies and safety trumps retrieval in my book.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008

dev null posted:

Well, I had a spotter to make sure it didn't get lost in trees or high foliage, some rope and a ladder and pretty long tree pruners to get it from a tree. I wasn't flying near the river but I was high and fast enough that even when I cut the throttle there was a enough forward momentum, it just hit the bank too. I also only fly in really rural areas so as to avoid any personal or property damage.

I can tell you I was pretty prepared to retrieve the quad in all circumstances except going into that river. I have hip waders, a fishing vest that has flotation but I didn't bring it outside because I wasn't getting into that river and even if I did it was gone.

And you can't possibly plan for all contingencies and safety trumps retrieval in my book.

Your still missing the most critical safety function though. Self destruct. Can't be leaving our drones around for some would be terrorist to find. :colbert:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Golluk posted:

Your still missing the most critical safety function though. Self destruct. Can't be leaving our drones around for some would be terrorist to find. :colbert:

That would be pretty awesome. The one good thing about it being lost in water is that if someone finds it they can't use it unlike if I just lost it on land, haha suckers.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Oh my. I'm starting to get the layout done on the Bix3. I got to the point I could use the steerable tail wheel, so it was time to try out some ground only FPV. Other than the fear of a car smashing it to bits, it was great fun just driving back and forth down the road. I'm not even in the air yet. Also surprised at the low light quality of this camera as cheap as it is.

Of course I also noticed I messed up and had the rudder servo turned 90 degrees, leaving me only -10 to 100, instead of closer to -70 to 70. Its probably enough motion available, but I'm still going to try and figure out how I can get at the screw to remove and adjust the servo arm. Guess I should have double checked my work before glueing. Oh well.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

loving laughable: http://www.suasnews.com/2014/10/31829/ac-91-57-cancelled-in-error/ the FAA has it's head so far up it's own rear end it's not even funny anymore.

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003
More ammunition for the anti-"drone" crowd: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29627615 I can see this happening more and more :(

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Cunning Plan posted:

More ammunition for the anti-"drone" crowd: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-29627615 I can see this happening more and more :(

I would hope most people realize it is a political/hate stunt that has nothing to do with the fact it is a "drone" that carried the flag. It's like blaming the car when a drunk driver has an accident :iiaca:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
:laffo:

Better hope instead that drones provide some clear and present personal benefit to just about everyone - like cars - otherwise there's nowhere to go but down as long as peoples' prevailing method of Risk Assessment boils down to "imagining what a bad person could do with one".

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Without fail whenever I've flown my plane with someone who's never seen one in person before, or show them videos of some of the cool things you can do with them (like that French racing one above), someone always pipes up about what "the terrorists" might be able to do with them. It's really fuckin' stupid, but that's the culture of fear we live in now!

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Been doing lots of drone stuff but haven't posted here in awhile. Watch some videos!

Vacation!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1CShzxU2K0

Work!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVdzAosK4j4

I also smashed my Skyhunter into the dirt inverted like a noob. That's my 3rd Skyhunter that's been totaled by pilot error :(

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I built an automatic (gravity driven) hotwire foam wing cutter and cut my my first proper airfoil this weekend:

Still got some issues to sort out, but superstoked by the result.
Did an initial fiber glassing test on it and it doesn't take much to make it very strong.
With the current wingspan (60") I can get away without vacuum pressing it, but are looking into building a vacuum setup, for even more strength.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Vitamin J posted:

That's my 3rd Skyhunter that's been totaled by pilot error :(

Isn't that how it always goes?

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Pilot error being the cause of 90% or so of air crashes, yeah I guess that's how it goes :D

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Looks like TC is preparing for licensing for commercial operations:
http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/page-6557.html

It's clearly a regular airplane directive that has been modified (icing, luggage, etc), but a fair amount of it is model specific.
Going by this, it appears that you'll have to pass the groundschool exams + a specific UAV subject, which in my opinion is not a bad idea.

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

subx posted:

I would hope most people realize it is a political/hate stunt that has nothing to do with the fact it is a "drone" that carried the flag. It's like blaming the car when a drunk driver has an accident :iiaca:

Yeah, in this case it's a publicity stunt, but I still reckon we'll be seeing more and more tossers flying them around sporting events/festivals/other large gatherings; one will eventually crash and cause a shitstorm...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Luckily I already have my Private Pilots license so getting whatever Drone FAA rating that will probably be required down the road which shouldn't be too hard, unless they require you to get your Commercial which would sort of suck but force me to get that and my IFR while I'm at it.

On a whole different note, I made a video out of the surprise marriage proposal my sisters boyfriend planned out for last Saturday. He really wanted video from the drone and since neither of them can really remember the proposal due to excitement and surprise, they are happy to be able to watch what happened hah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPcXEFMdKRI

*Might not work on mobile devices due to music licensing. Always fun.*

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

My worry is that they'll set the licensing requirements for commercial use really high and then apply those to recreational use as well, which will really raise barriers to entry for hobbyists and kill off the hobby industry.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I can't see them infringing on hobby use anymore than they do on regular RC flying.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I can't see them infringing on hobby use anymore than they do on regular RC flying.

Ahem.

Don't ever underestimate the FAA's ability to make a poor decision without considering what the impact will be to certificate holders and operators.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MrYenko posted:

Ahem.

Don't ever underestimate the FAA's ability to make a poor decision without considering what the impact will be to certificate holders and operators.

What does the FAA got to do with Transport Canada?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What does the FAA got to do with Transport Canada?

I thought we had moved past the Canada-specific discussion, and were speaking more generally.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Source: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/is-the-faa-purposefully-trying-to-confuse-everyone-about-its-drone-rules

Highlights of what the FAA's tried to do this year:

-Lost a federal court case in which it tried to fine a man $10,000 for operating his drone commercially
-Asserted that the unenforceable guidelines it used to fine the man are still valid
-Let the Catholic Church fly a drone in one of the few places that it actually could enforce rules
-Issued cease-and-desist letters to dozens of businesses
-Argued in court that its cease-and-desist letters are not legally enforceable
-Got that decision confirmed by a court, therefore invalidating its cease-and-desist letters
-Continued sending these cease-and-desist letters after the court decision
-Demanded that a search-and-rescue team stop flying drones
-Gave permission to the search-and-rescue team to resume flying drones
-Said its new "interpretation" of a law was an enforceable regulation, before public comment was done
-Been sued by three separate entities for its interpretation
-Canceled AC 91-57
-Uncanceled AC 91-57
-Pissed off its only friend in the model aircraft world, the Academy of Model Aircraft (one of the groups now suing it)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Golluk posted:

It does seem odd to me that Canada is more "free" than the US when it comes to FPV/Drones. It falls under Transport Canada's jurisdiction, and so long as the model aircraft is under 77 pounds, and not being used for commercial purposes, they aren't going to get involved.
That is true, but the "reasonable expectation of privacy" could make for some issues as more and more drones are equipped with cameras.

Nothing happens fast though, for better or worse.

Something else to keep in mind is that many municipalities have bylaws regarding use of RC craft, be it ground, water or air, so it's worthwhile checking into it. A colleague of mine who lives in Calgary (or Airdrie?) was minding his own business, flying his nitro RC helicopter in some city field when some generic city official came up to him told him to land immediately. Long story short, my colleague asked if he was law enforcement of some sort and when the guy said no he told him to pound sand.

Minutes later, he returned with LEO and told him very firmly to pack up and leave or he'll be fined.

New question:

Anyone with a DJI use a little sunshade like this? How are they?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DJI-Phantom-...=item41845689b0

I made something with cardboard, but it's pretty ghetto. I'm not against spending $10-$13 for something if it works.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 16, 2014

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Nothing like looking for somewhere to hunt, somewhere to hide, or somewhere to fly a model to make you realize how much of everywhere is owned and/or locked.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 16, 2014

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

slidebite posted:

That is true, but the "reasonable expectation of privacy" could make for some issues as more and more drones are equipped with cameras.

Nothing happens fast though, for better or worse.

Something else to keep in mind is that many municipalities have bylaws regarding use of RC craft, be it ground, water or air, so it's worthwhile checking into it. A colleague of mine who lives in Calgary (or Airdrie?) was minding his own business, flying his nitro RC helicopter in some city field when some generic city official came up to him told him to land immediately. Long story short, my colleague asked if he was law enforcement of some sort and when the guy said no he told him to pound sand.

Minutes later, he returned with LEO and told him very firmly to pack up and leave or he'll be fined.

New question:

Anyone with a DJI use a little sunshade like this? How are they?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DJI-Phantom-...=item41845689b0

I made something with cardboard, but it's pretty ghetto. I'm not against spending $10-$13 for something if it works.

I have a sunshade that came with the Blackpearl for my FPV setup, however I have not used it yet. Might give it a shot this weekend as the lighting has been an issue seeing the screen well, and I can barely see the thing through sunglasses.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Its been essential for me on bright days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Mister Sinewave posted:

Nothing like looking for somewhere to hunt, somewhere to hide, or somewhere to fly a model to make you realize how much of everywhere is owned and/or locked.

One of the reasons I don't mind paying for a club. It's nice to be able to fly my larger planes without worrying about someone giving me poo poo. Also the people are pretty cool, and have a lot of knowledge that is valuable.