Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Chairman Capone posted:

I can't believe that Rachael Ray still has a show on Food Network. I guess the food she does is good but she herself is just so bland, not to mention she sounds like she smokes five packs of cigarettes a day.

For whatever reason, she's still really popular and probably the biggest name on Food Network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Does she still have a daytime show on network TV? That alone would keep her on the FN for as long as it is running.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Red Warrior posted:

On the topic of Emeril I recently read 'From Scratch' recently which is an 'inside story' of Food Network. It's really dry, and not worth a read unless you're super interested in the history of Food Network, but the author talks to just about everyone who's ever been involved.

Emeril was canned because he was seen as not appealing to younger viewers anymore, which probably was true, and that he was unwilling to try new things (e.g. he turned down an Iron Chef position) or come up with new ideas for shows. Amazingly earlier in his career his manager had managed to slip in a line to a contract renewal that Food Network missed that gave Emeril full rights to all episodes of Emeril Live and Essence of Emeril, and he ended up reselling those shows to Martha Stewart's company for something like $50 million.

I went to a taping of Emeril Live when I was a kid.

During breaks he let the kids raid the kitchen freezer for chipwiches and chocotacos. :unsmith:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

The Taste is on now... eh, I don't have much better to do tonight.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Chairman Capone posted:

I can't believe that Rachael Ray still has a show on Food Network. I guess the food she does is good but she herself is just so bland, not to mention she sounds like she smokes five packs of cigarettes a day.

She made her way in New York on her own with a rough start, with her food skills in multiple venues, also teaching classes on those, and recently she had throat nodules removed since she's been speaking during her job daily for .... yeaaaars now.
But yeah no probably just her smoking making her voice force your balls to retreat into your body or whatever that makes you mad about her.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

iastudent posted:

The Taste is on now... eh, I don't have much better to do tonight.
I tuned in to The Taste because I love me some Nigella and Bourdain. The good is they did away with that stupid pod window reveal. The cheap parts of the set like the waiting room for the chef's family was at least dressed up and not literally a stage door that leads out of the studio complete with a throw latch door lock clearly visible (that one time kinked in the swinging doors as a loser left). They seem to have quickened the pace of the initial auditions. I barely remember the first season's auditions but I think I recall they dragged it out way too long and kept harping on the "single spoon taste" ad-nauseum. Getting rid of Brian Malarkey was a good move, I don't have much respect for him as a chef even though he's quite successful in his own right. More power to him but he was a bit too arrogant for my taste (ooo see what I did there?). The introduction of Marcus Samuelsson could add a bit of class with just the right amount of rivalry between him Ludo and Bourdain without coming off as obnoxious.

The bad is the same reality show clap trap the genre falls into again and again namely in the human interest heart string pulling video profiles. It won't be as "earth shattering and shocking!" like Hell's Kitchen And Masterchef but a toned down presentation will be there along with... constant... unnecessary... pauses for dramatic effect. I still can only understand every 4th word that falls out of Ludo's mouth which isn't "poo poo" or "gently caress" because they at least bleep those so I kind of know what was said. Lastly, it looks like the show might focus on some "love angle" between two contestants which is just :barf: and not needed. Send that script to The Bachelor. Hopefully, that storyboard hits the skids quickly.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

Robnoxious posted:

They seem to have quickened the pace of the initial auditions. I barely remember the first season's auditions but I think I recall they dragged it out way too long and kept harping on the "single spoon taste" ad-nauseum. Getting rid of Brian Malarkey was a good move, I don't have much respect for him as a chef even though he's quite successful in his own right. More power to him but he was a bit too arrogant for my taste (ooo see what I did there?). The introduction of Marcus Samuelsson could add a bit of class with just the right amount of rivalry between him Ludo and Bourdain without coming off as obnoxious.

Last year they stretched auditions out over I think three hours which was just awful. And you're right, first season they explained the conceit what seemed like every single time they tasted, and lingered over hidden video of the judges hands over the button so much more. Glad to see Malarkey gone, he wasn't interesting in the slightest, Samuelson is much much better. Going to stick with it for a couple of weeks see how they do, they certainly seem to have taken a lot of the criticism of the first season seriously.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can't argue with any of that. I'll say overall that watching it is a lot less tedious with the new pace and there wasn't as many (any?) facepalming moments where the judges literally don't know what they're eating.

It's still heavy on the human interest poo poo, which I find kind of obnoxious considering Bourdain, the dictionary definition of 'misanthrope', is behind this. Then again it's not half as bad as other shows.

They have kind of a neat group this year and I love Samuelsson (the Wu Tang thing with the Staten Island guy was pretty fun - never thought I'd hear Method Man referenced on a cooking show, especially since the reference wasn't C.R.E.A.M-related). I'm a little scared of that older Chinese lady who says she'd cook and eat a raccoon and drink its blood(?!)

They seem to have tightened things up in a good way, for the most part, though they probably need one more season to get things just right. The personalities are better here than on Masterchef (imo) but the format of the auditions is still a bit flawed. I guess we'll see what they've changed about the competition itself, but it hasn't turned me off immediately like it did last year.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't catch much of it but FN debuted some Chew-esque show called The Kitchen this morning.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ToastyPotato posted:

Does she still have a daytime show on network TV? That alone would keep her on the FN for as long as it is running.

Yep, she gets huge syndication. Michael Symon (the most charismatic NICA has ever produced) is a host of The Chew on ABC Daytime, and I think both his and Rachael's presences guarantee their employment.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
This lady that just got the axe on chopped was the most appalling human I've ever seen on this show. She mentioned getting stabbed with a wine bottle at one point, whoever did it deserves either a medal or a smack for not finishing the job.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

JPrime posted:

This lady that just got the axe on chopped was the most appalling human I've ever seen on this show. She mentioned getting stabbed with a wine bottle at one point, whoever did it deserves either a medal or a smack for not finishing the job.

Her raw food advocacy 'people kill each other in the ghetto because of artificial ingredients and preservatives' viewpoint I can only assume was residual brain damage. Her attitude towards the other woman was truly baffling.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Red Warrior posted:

Her raw food advocacy 'people kill each other in the ghetto because of artificial ingredients and preservatives' viewpoint I can only assume was residual brain damage. Her attitude towards the other woman was truly baffling.

Sometimes women have to find another woman to hate for no reason. If it had been all dudes I don't think she would have been like that and if it had been any other woman she would have behaved the way that we saw.

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.

JPrime posted:

She obviously thought she was the poo poo, dressing half naked during her intro. Even her name was obnoxious and I'm guessing it's fake.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

iastudent posted:

I didn't catch much of it but FN debuted some Chew-esque show called The Kitchen this morning.

I caught the rerun today. It wasn't great or terrible, although the one part of it I actively didn't like was the "It's five o'clock...**somewhere!**" catchphrase. I don't think I've ever seen one of Jeff Mauro's shows before but I actually liked his personality probably the best. Conversely while I'm a big Geoffrey Zakarian fan I don't think his personality really works well in this format.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I would just like to say that Guy's Grocery Games is a forgettable show that ins't really offensive anyway, but I hate it because it's names whad it is just so Guy can call it "Triple G".

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011

axleblaze posted:

I would just like to say that Guy's Grocery Games is a forgettable show that ins't really offensive anyway, but I hate it because it's names whad it is just so Guy can call it "Triple G".

Guy's Grocery Games is fun and stupid and while it isn't any sort of programming that is worthwhile in any way, it's not Robert Irvine screaming in a too tight shirt that shows off his man boobs, which makes it one of Food Network's best primetime shows.

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Rachael vs Guy Celebrity Cook-Off is my wife's guilty pleasure, and the new season seems pretty on-par with the other two so far. I think Vanilla Ice wants his own cooking show.
There's no Gilbert Gottfried making PB sandwiches this time. But at least nobody's planning on donating their money to PETA.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Rachael vs Guy Celebrity Cook-Off is my wife's guilty pleasure, and the new season seems pretty on-par with the other two so far. I think Vanilla Ice wants his own cooking show.
There's no Gilbert Gottfried making PB sandwiches this time. But at least nobody's planning on donating their money to PETA.

You know you've got a quality program when nobody goes home the first week. :downs: At least it's funnier than last season, with a more interesting cast.

Is there any scenario in life where Vanilla Ice isn't Guy's first choice? Presuming Kid Rock isn't available, of course.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Is there any scenario in life where Vanilla Ice isn't Guy's first choice? Presuming Kid Rock isn't available, of course.

Plane crash in a remote part of the Chilean Andes.

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009
This Chopped "Firefighter Chefs" episode was riveting. I really couldn't guess who was going to win each round. I guess I like when they have home chefs competing... they just seem nicer to each other, and make more interesting choices (even if the resultant dish is icky).

intensive purposes fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jan 13, 2014

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mystery Diners is so fake and contrived that watching like any part of the show just makes me much madder than it should. Like, right now I was flipping by and they had one where a pizza place has been getting complaints about their drivers being rude and the food taking too long. Why do you need this show at all? Just fire them. I work as a pizza delivery driver right now and I almost got fired because a customer complained that my beard was too big. Granted that's kind of unusual, but it's really not that hard to get fired from a restaurant. The concept that they're getting customers complaining about rude, slow drivers and so they call in a tv show to get to the bottom of things is just so disconnected from reality it's painful. It's a show for people that have never worked in a restaurant and have some sort of fantasy about how things work.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Mystery Diners is so fake and contrived that watching like any part of the show just makes me much madder than it should. Like, right now I was flipping by and they had one where a pizza place has been getting complaints about their drivers being rude and the food taking too long. Why do you need this show at all? Just fire them. I work as a pizza delivery driver right now and I almost got fired because a customer complained that my beard was too big. Granted that's kind of unusual, but it's really not that hard to get fired from a restaurant. The concept that they're getting customers complaining about rude, slow drivers and so they call in a tv show to get to the bottom of things is just so disconnected from reality it's painful. It's a show for people that have never worked in a restaurant and have some sort of fantasy about how things work.

I read somewhere from someone on the show that its all staged. The person or persons who are suspect have been caught weeks prior too and fired already. However, FN brings them back to the restaurant, has them do whatever they did all over again, and sets up cameras. It's all an act, really.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Apparently Chef Wanted got cancelled. I like Anne Burell but never was able to get into it.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Looks like no one is following The Taste or at least not talking about it.
Just like last season Nigella's Kitchen is falling like so much dead weight.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

Chairman Capone posted:

Apparently Chef Wanted got cancelled. I like Anne Burell but never was able to get into it.

From the first few times I saw her talk, I knew there was something up with that chick. Sued for sexual harassment later, I felt vindicated in my gut feeling. -- http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2009/12/20091204_bradford-v-burell.pdf
I mean come on, that kind of hair signals a bit of crazy in the brain, dunnit? She never even worked on the History Channel.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Paradox Personified posted:

From the first few times I saw her talk, I knew there was something up with that chick. Sued for sexual harassment later, I felt vindicated in my gut feeling. -- http://images.nymag.com/images/2/daily/2009/12/20091204_bradford-v-burell.pdf
I mean come on, that kind of hair signals a bit of crazy in the brain, dunnit? She never even worked on the History Channel.

That is the most normal I have seen her look. She definitely visits the same stylist as George what his face from Ancient Aliens.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Robnoxious posted:

Looks like no one is following The Taste or at least not talking about it.
Just like last season Nigella's Kitchen is falling like so much dead weight.

I'm watching it but I usually only catch the first hour because two loving hours of it every week is just too much for me.

I should page het since he watches too though I think I can't convince him to tv/iv post unless I attempt a bribe.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Nigella's team is just shockingly bad. The downside of selecting based on taste is they have no idea about the cooks' personality, and that's really killing her this year.

I also can't believe what awful assholes they are. That one who was eliminated early was talking about how jealous and disgusting she is. This week the one who left was saying Nigella fucks farm animals. And this is her own team! I don't think you even hear poo poo like that about Gordon Ramsay from Hell's Kitchen idiots.

It especially sucks because I think they would've known about her abuse, right? I don't think it started taping until after those photos came out. It just seems particularly awful when she's already down.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

Nigella's team is just shockingly bad. The downside of selecting based on taste is they have no idea about the cooks' personality, and that's really killing her this year.

I also can't believe what awful assholes they are. That one who was eliminated early was talking about how jealous and disgusting she is. This week the one who left was saying Nigella fucks farm animals. And this is her own team! I don't think you even hear poo poo like that about Gordon Ramsay from Hell's Kitchen idiots.

It especially sucks because I think they would've known about her abuse, right? I don't think it started taping until after those photos came out. It just seems particularly awful when she's already down.

I had no idea what you were talking about until I just googled her. Holy poo poo, I had no idea. Yeah, the timing is pretty awful.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Nigella's ex-husband made a sad little attempt at a smear campaign (NIGELLA DOES DRUGS AND IS TOTALLY OUT OF IT!!) that actually seemed to get a little traction, too, so yeah- people are shits.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Don't steal one of Guy Fieri's cars:

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/27/teen-stole-guy-fieri-lamborghini-life-in-prison-video/

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
So Chopped Canada is super boring but I gotta give them credit for coming up with basket combos that are probably more revolting than the ones in the American version. Wasabi peas, oysters and dark chocolate in one dish -- :barf:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Taste Talk: Team Nigella is disseminated (again) but holy poo poo did she blindly pick a team of complete misfits. Maybe the one lone survivor couldn't put up with Nigella's bossy boots and had to just walk off the set than endure her but it didn't seem fair. Granted, Nigella earned the "Team Hot Mess" moniker because it very much was and I suppose it boils down to how the kitchens are created in the first place. When you have 2 1/2 professional chefs (I'm giving Bourdain only 1/2 chef here) it's hard to develop a kitchen based solely on a one off creation.

Ludo and Sam and to a lesser extent Bourdain are able to distinguish flavors versus Nigella who is only going in purely for immediate decadence and satisfaction. It's a flaw in the show's format that was exposed last season. Nigella got creamed first last season too for almost the same reasons but this year she acquired a team of complete nitwits with no sense direction or want to be directed. Since she's a producer on the marquee she isn't going away but for gently caress's sake Nigella need a more critical taste bud so she isn't roped up with one and done psychopaths.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme
I'm a little disappointed that Worst Cooks seems to be becoming a Flay/Burrell franchise instead of the winner facing someone new in the next season. I also can't decide if Burrell's new hairstyle is any better than the old one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If anything I think Nigella's going more purely on taste while the others are thinking tactically about demonstrated technique. I think a lot of it is just luck, too; you have no idea from someone's food whether they're going to take direction and cooperate or whether they're going to be a whiner or psychopath. A couple of those crazies on the other teams would do a lot of harm.

Also re: the cheapness -- was it ever explained what the hell is going on with that trailer-park-in-a-warehouse sadness?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 2, 2014

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

I'm a little disappointed that Worst Cooks seems to be becoming a Flay/Burrell franchise instead of the winner facing someone new in the next season. I also can't decide if Burrell's new hairstyle is any better than the old one.

I vote worse.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

ToastyPotato posted:

I vote worse.

I vote better because it would have been impossible to do worse.

Carrot Wheel
May 6, 2007

time is like a circle which is endlessly described
Despite Burrell's personal failings and gross misdeeds/conduct, I am looking forward to the new season of Worst Cooks. I appreciate her as an entertainer/tv personality in spite of all that AND her crazy fugly hair. I totally agree with the assessment that she definitely has the same stylist as Ancient Aliens dude.

Someone should pitch FN a show where Aliens guy lends his "expertise" (aka pulls it out of his rear end, ahem) on what the diet of ancient astronauts consisted of and Anne can recreate it. Hell it would be better than most of the crappy tired formulas FN is filling their lineups with. I'm still bitter about the cancellation of Sweet Genius... unless I'm out of the loop and Chef Ron got another season.

I was also pleasantly surprised by this season's Rachel vs Guy, it was the first one where I recognized all the celebrities. It was also more entertaining than other RvG seasons that I've caught eps of here and there.

To go against the the thread, I dvr Cutthroat Kitchen because I simply love the devious, maniacal Alton persona. Plus it's funny at times watching the chefs have to work with a spatula duct taped to their hand or whatever it was in that one episode. I also love when they completely gently caress up their own dish and try to pass it off as "deconstructed" but it's just a hot mess on a plate.

Grocery Games is good as background noise and not as intolerable as DDD. However, Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stakeout need to be axed. Are people in the general viewing audience really so gullible as to think the shows are genuine? (I am afraid that might be a rhetorical question.)

I mean all reality tv is manipulated but those two shows are just so ridiculously transparent with it that it's embarrassing.

Carrot Wheel fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Feb 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Carrot Wheel posted:

To go against the the thread, I dvr Cutthroat Kitchen because I simply love the devious, maniacal Alton persona. Plus it's funny at times watching the chefs have to work with a spatula duct taped to their hand or whatever it was in that one episode. I also love when they completely gently caress up their own dish and try to pass it off as "deconstructed" but it's just a hot mess on a plate.

I like Cutthroat Kitchen in concept but it seems like if you're somehow too obnoxious to go on Chopped, they put you there. It's just the worst people on that show and I don't enjoy watching them. Alton does rule on that show though and he's really just having way too much fun.

Carrot Wheel posted:

Grocery Games is good as background noise and not as intolerable as DDD. However, Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stakeout need to be axed. Are people in the general viewing audience really so gullible as to think the shows are genuine? (I am afraid that might be a rhetorical question.)

I mean all reality tv is manipulated but those two shows are just so ridiculously transparent with it that it's embarrassing.

GGG is like the opposite of CK. They seem to get people that are too nice to go on Chopped. It's a pleasant show where even Guy isn't too bad (he's a better obnoxious host than the Cupcake Wars guy at least) but it's also pretty bland and forgettable because the people are just sort of nice and the challenges just sort of make for bland food (which I guess is fitting for a show hosted by Guy).

And yeah, I can't even stand Mystery Diners and Restaurant Stakeout as background noise. They're painful to sit through from beginning to end.

• Locked thread