Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filburt Shellbach
Nov 6, 2007

Apni tackat say tujay aaj mitta juu gaa!

BrainParasite posted:

Oooor, spend the 8 bucks and get a micro SD for each OS.

Then every time you want to switch between playing games and playing videos you have to get up, carefully power down the pi, swap the SD card, power it back up, wait for everything to boot. That's cool if that's the best you can do BrainParasite. Not good enough for me though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
With Debian Jessie releasing tomorrow, does anyone know what the corresponding Raspbian release timeline is?

Should I just switch my RPi 2 to straight Debian since it has armv7 support? (Does Debian Jessie bring back support for armv6 given the popularity of devices like the RPi using that architecture?)

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Raspbian has built in packages for it's GPIO and raspi-config. Attempt to stick with that. I thought you could go into sources.list and just type in Jesse instead of Sid or whatever stale poo poo Raspberry Pi ship with?

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
I'm going to swing by MicroCenter on the way home to grab a Pi to build into an old tube desktop radio, to convert it into an internet radio. Very excited.

My plan was to simply power it on with the radio, as the tubes take a while to warm up. However, I did not realize you had to do a soft shutdown of the OS, as opposed to just cutting power, to prevent data loss on the SD card. So I guess I'll leave the Pi powered on all the time.

Is MusicBox pretty much the best software for this?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

ryangs posted:

I'm going to swing by MicroCenter on the way home to grab a Pi to build into an old tube desktop radio, to convert it into an internet radio. Very excited.

My plan was to simply power it on with the radio, as the tubes take a while to warm up. However, I did not realize you had to do a soft shutdown of the OS, as opposed to just cutting power, to prevent data loss on the SD card. So I guess I'll leave the Pi powered on all the time.

You could build in a small UPS based on a simple USB battery pack, monitor the input to it being cut, and have it shut down the Pi properly, all via GPIO. Or there are more professional Pi-focused UPS devices which would do the same thing.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ryangs posted:

Let me know what solution you come up with. I have a spare Raspberry Pi that I want to attach to my stereo via the 3.5mm jack. However, I don't exactly have a large Mp3 collection these days so most of my stuff would be via Spotify or Google Music. GM is a bit tricky to deal with, the only program I've yet to see integrate it to a usable means was Nuvola Player and that is solely GUI. My ideal solution is headless with control via an Android cellphone/tablet/computer dialing in.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Boz0r posted:

How hard would it be to set up a sort of dual boot for a media center and a console emulator, preferably with an easy way to switch between them?

I have no experience with Linux but a lot of experience with programming.

I have exactly this with BerryBoot. Super easy to set up. The config file is in the BerryBoot menu, otherwise basically works as 2 or more standalone OS.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Okay, so I knew the onboard analog audio on the Pi wasn't going to be great, but I wasn't worried because I'm playing through an old mono tube radio. But man, is it terrible! The level is really low, and I'm getting some ground loop buzz. Guess it's back to Micro Center tomorrow to drop another $10 on a USB audio dongle.

Other than that, MusicBox is working!

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Could also get a usb battery charger that just sits inline with the power, like power the charger from the wall, power the rPi from the charger. Theoretically it would never need to shut down.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Pi onboard audio is perfectly listenable through my garage stereo. Are you sure something's not wrong with the old radio?

Addz
Apr 13, 2015

Filburt Shellbach posted:

Then every time you want to switch between playing games and playing videos you have to get up, carefully power down the pi, swap the SD card, power it back up, wait for everything to boot. That's cool if that's the best you can do BrainParasite. Not good enough for me though.

Look into Linux dual booting using GRUB. Should be a few guides around.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Addz posted:

Look into Linux dual booting using GRUB. Should be a few guides around.

AFAIK GRUB has not been ported to the Rasbperry Pi.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

eddiewalker posted:

Pi onboard audio is perfectly listenable through my garage stereo. Are you sure something's not wrong with the old radio?

Yes, because it sounds way better if I plug my iPhone in. (The old radio has a mono phono/RCA input on the back.)

I suspect the age of the radio means it will be pickier about the signal, but out of curiosity, I'll plug the Pi into a more modern stereo to see how it sounds.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Fatal posted:

Could also get a usb battery charger that just sits inline with the power, like power the charger from the wall, power the rPi from the charger. Theoretically it would never need to shut down.

Interesting. If I continue to have ground loop (buzz) issues, this might also solve that.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Got my Pi 2 today and set up the RetroPie image on the SD card. It froze on me once while trying to configure controls for the PSX emulator and I was forced to hard boot, which corrupted the SD card. Reformat and a lot of time later, I'm back up again.

Probably the best way to save my effort is to make an image of the SD card as a backup I guess? Because right now I really really want to play some PSX stuff but I'm too afraid of corrupting poo poo again by running them and trying to set up the proper controls again.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Drone posted:

Got my Pi 2 today and set up the RetroPie image on the SD card. It froze on me once while trying to configure controls for the PSX emulator and I was forced to hard boot, which corrupted the SD card. Reformat and a lot of time later, I'm back up again.

Probably the best way to save my effort is to make an image of the SD card as a backup I guess? Because right now I really really want to play some PSX stuff but I'm too afraid of corrupting poo poo again by running them and trying to set up the proper controls again.

Yeah I'd make an image of it just in case. I've used win32diskimager in windows to do this a lot with raspberry pi sd cards:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Is there any easy way at all to control a fan from a RPi? I picked up my first Raspberry Pi for a small project. This is not a cooling fan, but something I need to cycle up for X minutes every hour to circulate air in a small area. Most 5v fans I'm seeing are tiny - I'm hoping for 80mm, but those are generally 12v. I've found a few 80mm USB fans, but I'm fairly certain the USB power is constant and no way to toggle it on/off. That leaves GPIO which has a 5v it looks like, but I'm not sure if this is something I can do without additional hardware.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You probably don't want to use the RPi power or USB power for a fan anyway. Get a relay board off eBay or AliExpress and look up tutorials on how to use it. It's basically a voltage-controlled switch.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

ryangs posted:

The power draw of the Pi at idle is pretty negligible, but if you want a mechanical power switch that still gracefully shuts it down, grab one of these little guys from Mausberry Circuits. I'm not using mine at the moment, but I did test it out and it works like a champ. I'll "permanently" install it once I get my little RetroPie cabinet built.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

ante posted:

You probably don't want to use the RPi power or USB power for a fan anyway. Get a relay board off eBay or AliExpress and look up tutorials on how to use it. It's basically a voltage-controlled switch.

Oh, that's slick. If I'm reading it right, you wire both the fan and the 12v power into the relay in a way that when the relay is triggered it closes the circuit. Watched a few videos on it and it seems straight forward. Thanks.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Acid Reflux posted:

The power draw of the Pi at idle is pretty negligible, but if you want a mechanical power switch that still gracefully shuts it down, grab one of these little guys from Mausberry Circuits. I'm not using mine at the moment, but I did test it out and it works like a champ. I'll "permanently" install it once I get my little RetroPie cabinet built.

Coincidentally, I"m actually building a server rack device with an ATX power supply. I sketched out a design that will properly turn on and off the Pi and power supply with a push button.

It's drawn out on my office sketchpad. If there's interest, I can post a picture of the schematic on Monday.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

How will a Pi 2 react to a bluetooth keyboard with a built-in touchpad (or even a nub, if those still exist), something like the Logitech K400? Besides driver stuff, would the Bluetooth be any sizeable drain on power over a corded keyboard?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Pi's GPIO runs at 3.3v, not 5v.

I've done it using an Arduino Nano as a logic level shifter to get from 3.3v -> 5v, then a FQP30N06L Mosfet to get from 5v logic to switch 12v at decent current levels.

Mortanis posted:

Is there any easy way at all to control a fan from a RPi? I picked up my first Raspberry Pi for a small project. This is not a cooling fan, but something I need to cycle up for X minutes every hour to circulate air in a small area. Most 5v fans I'm seeing are tiny - I'm hoping for 80mm, but those are generally 12v. I've found a few 80mm USB fans, but I'm fairly certain the USB power is constant and no way to toggle it on/off. That leaves GPIO which has a 5v it looks like, but I'm not sure if this is something I can do without additional hardware.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Drone posted:

How will a Pi 2 react to a bluetooth keyboard with a built-in touchpad (or even a nub, if those still exist), something like the Logitech K400? Besides driver stuff, would the Bluetooth be any sizeable drain on power over a corded keyboard?

I used mine just fine, iirc I used it to configure my pi and get xbmc installed, then discovered my tv remote worked with the pi so I removed it. But I did use it for a good while and if I wanted to use the pi for Web surfing or anything keyboardy I'd say it's a good choice.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

I use that exact keyboard with my various Pis.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This hotel has a box with HDMI and USB power with enough juice to power my media center/emulator Pi. :allears:

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Mortanis posted:

I know this is 'additional hardware' but they are cheap enough:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3V-Relay-High-Level-Driver-Module-optocouple-Relay-Moduele-for-Arduino-/131493349440

use the gpio pins to switch the relay, and you can power up pretty much anything you like that has it's own power source.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

spiny posted:

I know this is 'additional hardware' but they are cheap enough:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3V-Relay-High-Level-Driver-Module-optocouple-Relay-Moduele-for-Arduino-/131493349440

use the gpio pins to switch the relay, and you can power up pretty much anything you like that has it's own power source.

Nice idea, got me searching and found this mosfet version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5PCS-New-RF...=item27fc0a1030

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Captain Hair posted:

I used mine just fine, iirc I used it to configure my pi and get xbmc installed, then discovered my tv remote worked with the pi so I removed it. But I did use it for a good while and if I wanted to use the pi for Web surfing or anything keyboardy I'd say it's a good choice.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I use that exact keyboard with my various Pis.

Awesome, just ordered it based on that. Now to get KODI installed on it and I can have a sweet wireless home theater Pi that also lets me play DOS games :v:

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

So despite adding a USB audio interface for my boombox/radio setup, I'm still getting really bad ground loop buzzing. Can I somehow ground the Raspberry Pi to the radio chassis? I doubt it. I think I'm going to have to keep throwing money at this project.

ryangs fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 28, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Are your pi's power adapter and the boom box plugged in to the same surge protector? What happens if you run the Pi off of battery power? the boom box off of batteries?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Cut the ground prong off your power source

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ante posted:

This seems like a Not Great Idea.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Bovril Delight posted:

This seems like a Not Great Idea.
only pussies need grounds.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

One of my sailing buddies, his pal had a huge two story workshop stuffed inside a storage unit, stocked to the gills with all kinds of solvents and highly flammable marine grade poo poo. The best part was everything was wired together with widowmaker cables. Good times. We left there in a hurry (right after he finished expertly making our new boatch hatch).

Electrical safety stuff is there for a reason, if you can't get rid of a ground buzz you should probably leave well enough alone.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Electrical safety stuff is there for a reason
Just to piss off people who know how to get by without it.

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Hadlock posted:

Are your pi's power adapter and the boom box plugged in to the same surge protector? What happens if you run the Pi off of battery power? the boom box off of batteries?

In order: Yes. Don't have a battery source for the Pi on hand. Boom box is actually an old tube amp desktop radio, so batteries are not an option there.

ante posted:

Neither the old radio nor my USB wall wort for the Pi have grounding prongs. Two prongs only. Furthermore, the radio is so old it's unpolarized: both prongs are the same size. It might even be a live (or hot) chassis radio, so I should probably not try to ground the Pi there.

ryangs fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 29, 2015

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Is there any reason why I can't use wget on my raspberry pi but an actual machine can?

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Methanar posted:

Is there any reason why I can't use wget on my raspberry pi but an actual machine can?

you could try 'apt-get clean' and then maybe try installing with --reinstall to force it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Maybe it's not in your path.

echo $PATH

It should, I think, be installed at /usr/bin/wget, so you could try running it with the full command.