Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ive ordered a SG5966GC so we'll see how it goes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

For those of you with/getting the SG5966GC, did you also get a hardwire power kit as well? The only thing I don't like about the SG is that it doesn't have a parking mode, which is understandable since it's capacitor-based.

I guess I could ghetto-rig it with an Anker battery pack between the 12V supply and the cam, but I'd rather not have an extra battery sitting in the car exposed to 110' California summer days in my black car.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

For those of you with/getting the SG5966GC SG9665GC, did you also get a hardwire power kit as well?

I did. 30 bucks seems kind of steep for the "CELL POWER CPUSB01" kit that they recommend but I didn't want to cheap out on something that was getting somewhat permanently installed into the car's electrical system. I tied it in to the cigarette lighter circuit though so like you said there's no parking mode and the camera immediately turns off when the engine stops. That's probably one of the biggest drawbacks but like you also mentioned I don't think a LiPo battery would tolerate being up on the windshield in the middle of summer very well.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

DethMarine21 posted:

I did. 30 bucks seems kind of steep for the "CELL POWER CPUSB01" kit that they recommend but I didn't want to cheap out on something that was getting somewhat permanently installed into the car's electrical system. I tied it in to the cigarette lighter circuit though so like you said there's no parking mode and the camera immediately turns off when the engine stops. That's probably one of the biggest drawbacks but like you also mentioned I don't think a LiPo battery would tolerate being up on the windshield in the middle of summer very well.

I think I'm going to go with this one. Not only does it have a low battery discharge protection, it has a timer as well.

I think the timer would be useful for when I run into the store or something instead of partially draining my battery every time I go into work.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
But an A119 so you can tell me if it's worth upgrading my A118

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Some light weight early morning grumpieness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rmvYrD-MmM

They inconvenienced me for like 10 seconds, I hope they DIE :black101:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Takes No Damage posted:

Some light weight early morning grumpieness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rmvYrD-MmM

They inconvenienced me for like 10 seconds, I hope they DIE :black101:
This is clearly your fault. Can't you plan your route better?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Cartoon posted:

This is clearly your fault. Can't you plan your route better?
Asking someone on the road - or in this thread - to think ahead. What are you, crazy?

I agree.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bought another three of those $35 amazon cams. They're good at 720p for 6 hours of footage on the included (!) 32GB card, and I have them on constantly because their draw is so low. Also designed a glue-able 3d print mount for them to be affixed to vertical glass. Geirskogul on Thingiverse.

Gonna have always on rear, front, and side views with the bus, and the a118 is the driving cam.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Which one did you buy specifically? I keep wanting to get a little 808 camera but even the "official" website isn't much help with the millions of variations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

Which one did you buy specifically? I keep wanting to get a little 808 camera but even the "official" website isn't much help with the millions of variations.

Just this one. this is the mount I created for it. The windows on the bus are pretty vertical, so that's the design I came up with. I can always modify the mounts with an angle if I want them angled downwards. The surface has that vertical stripe texture for more surface area to put some clear marine epoxy on to adhere it to the back of the window.

I currently have one facing rearwards that's always on, but I'm going to add one on each side facing outwards, and maybe one on the front facing backwards inside the cab (for anybody that may actually successfully break in, for example). The big thing for me is that the cam comes with a 32gb SD card already.

Video quality is iffy. It's equally iffy in daylight as well as low light, though, and is probably more a problem of optics. So, I lowered the video quality from 1080p to 720p, which actually looks about the same side-by-side. This extended the record time with the stock 32GB card from 4 hours to around 7, which is hopefully long enough to catch anything major.

Right now I have the one rearward facing camera powered by the cigarette plug it came with, but I'm going to wire up this thing (but I got mine from ebay for half the price many moons ago, same amp rating and looks identical though) to power them all on a common 5V rail. My bus has three yellowtop deep cycle batteries for camping, and one of them is isolated from the other two when the solar panel or engine or inverter (shore power) isn't charging. I'm going to use that one just to save my two air conditioner batteries in case I park the bus for a long time.

In the front I have a standard A118-C that turns on with the ignition.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 7, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Well, I ordered the SG9665GC with the Lukas hardwire kit.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I found the Transcend DrivePro 520 brand new for $150 and I was wondering if this is a good buy or are there better ones at that price range? The second camera isn't exactly a dealbreaker but it's nice to have so I know exactly what happened inside the car when an accident takes place (i.e. driver dozed off, etc.) But if it doesn't work as well as advertised then might as well just stick with the one camera.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Disharmony posted:

I found the Transcend DrivePro 520 brand new for $150 and I was wondering if this is a good buy or are there better ones at that price range? The second camera isn't exactly a dealbreaker but it's nice to have so I know exactly what happened inside the car when an accident takes place (i.e. driver dozed off, etc.) But if it doesn't work as well as advertised then might as well just stick with the one camera.

I always thought this website gave pretty good reviews of dashcams https://dashcamtalk.com/transcend-drivepro-520/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got my SG9665GC hooked up over the weekend. Seems pretty nice. Good image clarity. I guess they're now shipping with the electronics in the GPS unit flipped upside-down now, because mine specifically said it was for window mounting now, instead of dash mounting. This thing was a lot smaller and lighter than I had imagined.

I just have it running on the 12V at the moment. I will probably wire it into my fuse box this weekend and have it record 30 mins or so after I turn the car off.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
My brother has people stealing stuff out of the cars parked on his street. Daylight in his neighborhood. Would a dashcam with parking mode be able to get some footage if this happens to his car? Is there one he can spin around to point at the glovebox/passenger area easily? I just have an a118 so not sure what to recommend to him.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Another a118 in the back, facing inwards?

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Hdip posted:

My brother has people stealing stuff out of the cars parked on his street. Daylight in his neighborhood. Would a dashcam with parking mode be able to get some footage if this happens to his car? Is there one he can spin around to point at the glovebox/passenger area easily? I just have an a118 so not sure what to recommend to him.

If the thieves aren't totally retarded they'll notice the wires and think its an expensive electronic to steal. Maybe if he can hide it very well it might work but I'm not too sure on counting on it.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
They're not breaking windows and only taking things from the glove box is the odd thing. Trying to make it as low key as possible maybe? Or maybe just some kid in the neighborhood who thinks no one is the wiser. That's why I thought it'd be possible to get them on tape.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

Ultra Carp

Hdip posted:

They're not breaking windows and only taking things from the glove box is the odd thing. Trying to make it as low key as possible maybe? Or maybe just some kid in the neighborhood who thinks no one is the wiser. That's why I thought it'd be possible to get them on tape.

in that case try looking into taxi dash cams or something, they tend to have an inside view and outside view. The Transcend drive pro 520 that recently came up in this thread might do it but its fairly expensive.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
It doesn't really sound like a dashcam is the solution here -- if they're stealing things, what would stop them from just running off with the camera or SD card? Perhaps a security camera of some sort outside would work better? Could even point it towards the cars that are getting hit the most.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
http://i.imgur.com/xsInPyv.gifv

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

:psyduck:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That... that's a suicide, right? Christ.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ba4_1477659737

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

TURN DOWN YOUR VOLUME BEFORE CLICKING ON THIS LINK

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
I need a better place to mount mine, but the dashboard is so convenient for power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwEcuo76wYY

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Best part of that video was how the words followed the object. :3:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Best part of that video was how the words followed the object. :3:

I'm learning After Effects when I have opportunities to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnS0LHf928I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J18koR-_j4

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
A119 Review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdDXjYGfTSY

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
A tree falls in russia,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbA-7ryudYk

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
How often does this happen that this guy has a chainsaw in his trunk, ready to go?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
If you live in a heavily forested area then most people either have a chain saw or an axe in the car. I know I do. It's either that or not get home/to work on any given day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cartoon posted:

If you live in a heavily forested area then most people either have a chain saw or an axe in the car. I know I do. It's either that or not get home/to work on any given day.

Are we just talking about branches here?

A tree the size of the one in that video would take hours to clear with an axe.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Platystemon posted:

Are we just talking about branches here?

A tree the size of the one in that video would take hours to clear with an axe.
A tree that size would take a long time to fully clear but I only need to get a path wide enough for my vehicle. The tree in the video was spindly to the right and I would have had a car sized passage in minutes. If the axe isn't going to cut it I go and get my chainsaw (I have had to walk a long way to do this). I don't like the smell of the chainsaw and fuel in the car and the axe will deal with many problems including quite substantial trees. A further wrinkle is that was a pine. Lol. A gum tree that size would have significantly blunted that guys blade before he finished.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Uh, you mean you people don't have one in the trunk?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
A few minutes with a tow rope or strap would get that tree enough out of the roadway to drive past as well.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

A few minutes with a tow rope or strap would get that tree enough out of the roadway to drive past as well.

I have one of those in my Jeep, but I don't live in an area that is forested and Russian enough to encounter trees in the road.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Generally I'd just skip to the front of the line, drive over the tree with a smug look on my face and be on my way. Eat it car nerds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Any recommendations for a dual channel dashcam that can be easily hardwired? I have a GPS+dashcam combo, and it's terrible (poo poo software. Never buy Magellan anything) and I've decided to just dump the extra money for a better setup that doesn't require fiddling with electronic devices every time I turn my car on and off.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

I'm learning After Effects when I have opportunities to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J18koR-_j4
I need a taco-breathing cat in my life!