Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I'm always surprised these days when I read of an Australian research team coming up with some great technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

starkebn posted:

I'm always surprised these days when I read of an Australian research team coming up with some great technology.

Imagine what they'd do if they got significant funding.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Choice quote #1 from Gillard's new book:

About Campbell Newman posted:

At his local kebab shop, he told everyone, he was appalled to hear how many regulations there were for the handling of the meat, including -- to his horror -- one about the temperature the meat needed to be at on the spit! He was going to abolish all this red tape. The studiously polite Katie Gallagher, the Chief Minister of the Australian Capital Territory, commented that that would all be fine until the first salmonella outbreak. Although she did not mean the remark unkindly, it produced guffaws all round, including from Liberal premiers.

And my other favourite #2:

quote:

The Canberra press gallery is an insular world and, given the foment of the media industry, a curiously unchanged one at the leadership level. Many of the key personalities who reported politics 20, 30, 40 years ago are still there, albeit more jaded, more cynical -- and more annoyed if their assumed mastery of political reporting is in any way challenged.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Oh yeah, I didn't see you guys mention it, but apparently the LNP got talked down from the six-month starvation period for Newstart. It's now four weeks.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Gillard has a really keen sense of humour.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

ewe2 posted:

<Campbell Newman is an idiot retard>

Was literally coming here to post this

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

katlington posted:

Nothing new on the Australian Sailor who cried wolf in Sydney? Quietly letting it just drop off the radar seems like a dumb idea, people will cry conspiracy if there's no public closure. They'll cry it anyway ofc but it'll be a tougher sell to people who haven't already decided what they want to believe.

Ha Ha You Talk Like Everyone Hasn't Already Forgotten It Entirely

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Hey Anidav, Sinbads in Toowong Village food court is looking for people. Not sure if it's your thing but at least you wouldn't have to know Japanese :)

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Cleretic posted:

Oh yeah, I didn't see you guys mention it, but apparently the LNP got talked down from the six-month starvation period for Newstart. It's now four weeks.

If a libertarian thinks it's harsh, then yeah, it's hosed up. Interesting how Bob Day and David Leyonhjelm both have said Newstart should be available to genuine job seekers from day one.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

katlington posted:

Nothing new on the Australian Sailor who cried wolf in Sydney? Quietly letting it just drop off the radar seems like a dumb idea, people will cry conspiracy if there's no public closure. They'll cry it anyway ofc but it'll be a tougher sell to people who haven't already decided what they want to believe.

I wish I knew. I have a couple of mates who are former military and while they posted it on FB and the like with a "heads up" they also shared the retraction. I wonder what prompted this in the first place?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I wish I knew. I have a couple of mates who are former military and while they posted it on FB and the like with a "heads up" they also shared the retraction. I wonder what prompted this in the first place?

The Ethnic Lobby strikes again!

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

ewe2 posted:

And my other favourite #2:

Is there an article somewhere which has collated more quotes?

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Brown Paper Bag posted:

Is there an article somewhere which has collated more quotes?
It's from crikey.

This story about the impending increase in gas prices and the campaign to legislate that some gas be reserved for domestic use is worth a read.

quote:

n Monday, the Reserve Our Gas campaign was launched to demand the federal government to pass laws to ensure a percentage of gas is kept for domestic use rather than being exported and linked to global prices.

Such laws could stop local gas prices from rocketing, with one projection showing prices could triple next year when LNG exports ramp up.

A BIS Shrapnel report found a rise could see one in five manufacturers shut down over the next half-decade. It also showed households gas bills could rise by 26 per cent over three years from 2015.

The Australian Workers Union, which is leading the campaign with the support of Australian Paper and resources giant Alcoa, said Australia was the only gas-exporting country in the world to not reserve gas for its own citizens and industries.

As a consequence, exporters were unfairly selling Australian gas back to consumers at global prices
, it said.

While Australian gas has traditionally cost around $3-4 per gigajoule domestically, it could sell for up to $18 per gigajoule on Asian markets.

"We currently have a situation in which our abundant gas reserves are hurting Australian jobs and households instead of helping them," said AWU National Secretary Scott McDine said. "That's crazy and it's no wonder no other gas-exporting nation allows it."

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Cringe city...

http://www.vice.com/en_au/vice-australia-0/we-made-young-liberals-and-young-labor-date-each-other

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

katlington posted:

Someone posted a tweet from the police agency in charge of that region the day after the new terror laws were passed that the complaint had been withdrawn.

So don'texpect to ever hear anything about it ever again.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I miss Gillard... :smith:

...up until the point I remember her support for wildly hosed up treatment of refugees.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

I had to stop halfway, it made me too uncomfortable.. but is that how young libs reconcile their affiliations these days? Labor = Nanny state / Liberal = Freeeeedom.

Has this always been the case?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

T-1000 posted:

It's from crikey.

This story about the impending increase in gas prices and the campaign to legislate that some gas be reserved for domestic use is worth a read.

The trouble with gas reservation is it locks in gas consumption at a time when we should be decarbonising. John Kaye from the NSW Greens and Justin Field (now our #3 LC candidate) have had a bit of a back-and-forth over it for a while.

It's better than nothing, but we should really be implementing some sort of managed transition policy, at least for domestic gas.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Adnar posted:

I had to stop halfway, it made me too uncomfortable.. but is that how young libs reconcile their affiliations these days? Labor = Nanny state / Liberal = Freeeeedom.

As long as Ive lived in this country.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Adnar posted:

I got up to "I first came here because my family loves italian food" talking about la porchetta :lol:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Adnar posted:

Watch to the end, it's pretty hilarious.

That Jack guy is so insufferable "do you know anything about small business :smuggo:"

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Adnar posted:

Young Libs being faced with the sort of draconian anti-freedom legislation being put out by the Liberal Party react much the same way as Young Labor when faced with the endless parade of neoliberalism from post-Keating Labor:

Emmjay
Aug 3, 2009

if you don't get the job/promotion/salary increase you want, getting your parents to ring me and complain will absolutely change the outcome

This is hilarious

Liberal guy: have you tried submitting your stuff [poems] to Farrago [student paper]?
Labor girl: no, I haven't
Liberal guy: you should, they'll take anything!
Labor girl: yeah, I've seen some of your articles in there

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

I used to know a few big hitters in NSW young libs about 10 years ago and they were definitely more socially conservative / traditional and all that jazz rather than the more libertarian that old mate seemed to be in that clip. I couldn't imagine any of them being for gay marriage. It kind of informs my view though in that I've never understood how someone under 25 could be a social conservative but now they're going to gubment control(tm) angle it makes slightly more sense.

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

The trouble with gas reservation is it locks in gas consumption at a time when we should be decarbonising. John Kaye from the NSW Greens and Justin Field (now our #3 LC candidate) have had a bit of a back-and-forth over it for a while.

It's better than nothing, but we should really be implementing some sort of managed transition policy, at least for domestic gas.
We should be shifting to non-carbon. In the meantime, gas reservation is a craptonne better than letting the gas companies gouge every person who's stuck using gas.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Is this the beginning of a thousand year breeding program which will ultimately lead to the birth of a messiah who can lead humanity down the path of the Third Way?

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Adnar posted:

I used to know a few big hitters in NSW young libs about 10 years ago and they were definitely more socially conservative / traditional and all that jazz rather than the more libertarian that old mate seemed to be in that clip. I couldn't imagine any of them being for gay marriage. It kind of informs my view though in that I've never understood how someone under 25 could be a social conservative but now they're going to gubment control(tm) angle it makes slightly more sense.

Yeah, all of the young lib types I've known have been arch libertarians. It's the hip new trend!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

Is this the beginning of a thousand year breeding program which will ultimately lead to the birth of a messiah who can lead humanity down the path of the Third Way?

Better stick them all with a Gom Jabbar to check.

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥

SKY COQ posted:

Yeah, all of the young lib types I've known have been arch libertarians. It's the hip new trend!

sreiously, american politics is having a very corrosive influence on australian conservativism thanks to the internet

all these chucklefuck young libs are importing libertarianism and 'small gubmi't' wholesale from the US, completely disregarding the history of the liberal party, and the fact that US-style libertarianism has its roots in a very specific set of historical and social conditions

in other words gently caress america

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Why do Young Liberals always have that annoying voice? You guys know the one.

"Excuse me miss but small business... capable... own merit."

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

quote:

Supermarket chain Coles has been banned for three years from advertising that its bread was made or baked on the day it was sold.

Coles was also ordered to display a Federal Court notice in its stores and on its website telling shoppers that it had broken Australian consumer law by falsely advertising bread products as "freshly baked" and "baked today".

Federal Court judge James Allsop made the ruling on Monday after Coles was found guilty in June for making false, misleading and deceptive representations in relation to the freshness of its bread.

Coles has been banned from promoting its bread as baked on the day it is being sold or made from fresh dough for three years.

It must tell consumers of the ban and that it had been found to have made the false, misleading and deceptive representations by advertising bread as fresh when it had been made and partially baked and then frozen, sometimes months earlier overseas.

The court is yet to make a decision on whether to fine Coles, which faces penalties of more than $3 million.

The case was brought by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission after former Victorian premier Jeff Kennett complained when he discovered a loaf of Coles bread that was advertised as freshly baked in-store had been made in Ireland.

Get owned.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gough Suppressant posted:

That said, the Labor candidate for my state seat's name is "Tony Dib". Been wanting to ask if his wife's name is "Maude" or has a son named Paul.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

drunkill posted:

Get owned.

If they are fined, it'll be the workers who will get dicked around when they go looking for savings measures. When I worked there, if they needed the store presso done (bringing 2-3 stock to be all at the front and in line on the shelves) and it was on a Sunday, they'd only have arrange to have the shift for it at 5am-9am Monday so they didn't need to pay penalty rates. Then they'd usually have me on for 7pm-11pm for night fill the same day. It hosed up my sleeping pattern something shocking, especially as I had a full Tuesday from 9am-6pm.

In short - gently caress coles.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Oh gee I wonder which religion it was.

quote:

UPDATE: Athol Park robbery believed to be racially motivated 

Police are continuing to investigate a reported robbery and assault at Athol Park last week. 

While there are a number of sensitivities still surrounding this ongoing investigation which appears to have racial overtones, SA Police are now able to release further information and make another appeal for public assistance. 

Around 8.50pm on 25 September, the victim was driving on Millicent Street Athol Park when he was forced to pull over by another vehicle containing three men posing as Australian Federal Police.

The vehicle is believed to be a late model black Holden Commodore.

Two of the men forced the victim out of his car and stole a laptop computer and mobile phone.

They also damaged his car and wrote offensive words on the bonnet.

The victim was not injured but was subject to abuse because of his ethnicity and religious beliefs. He left the scene in his car and contacted police. 

Police are in direct communication with the victim and are working in partnership with him and the local community to provide support and advice.

The first suspect is described as a man of Caucasian appearance, aged 25 to 30 years, with a heavy build, a 10cm long ginger beard with no moustache and he was wearing a black baseball cap. A computer generated image of this suspect has been released.

The second suspect is of Caucasian appearance, aged 25 to 30 years, with a slim build, clean shaven and also wearing a black baseball cap. 

There is no description of the third man.

Anyone who recognises the man pictured or who may have seen suspicious activity in the area is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

quote:

The best way to bludgeon your ideological and commercial adversaries in the corporate world is to get your peak body to do it for you.

This way, you can abuse people with gay abandon, shrug away any responsibility for your actions and leave your marque intact, your brand untarnished, even while financing the entire caper.

Our favourite peak body, and we confess to an especial fondness for this organisation, is the union which represents the interests of large foreign-controlled mining companies: the Minerals Council of Australia.

For this peak body, no depth is too low to plumb, no truth too sacred to be stretched. Were you to ask one of its main backers, say BHP Billiton, how much their shareholders are paying to bankroll its activities, or even whether the board and executive stand behind its latest ad hominem spray, you will hear the sounds of silence.

Conflating royalties with tax is one of the specialties of the Minerals Council for big foreign miners in Australia. Pretending, with the paid collaboration of selected independent experts, that foreign mining companies are entitled to extract minerals from the soils of this country scot-free, without paying a royalty, and ship them overseas, is a ruse for which they display considerable flair.

The belittling of its critics reached fever point in recent weeks. In June, the NSW Minerals Council – the NSW branch of the big foreign mining companies' union – responded with extraordinary spite to a piece written by left-leaning think tank the Australia Institute (TAI).

Stopping a smidgen short of Queensland MP George Christiansen – who dubbed green activists "terrorists" this week – they circulated caricatures of TAI economists Richard Denniss and Ben Oquist as puppets of the Greens political party.

Never mind that there are no formal ties, financial or otherwise, between TAI and any political party. The lobbyists played the man as usual, not the ball.

TAI had the cheek to ruffle through thousands of pages of state budget papers and tote up the subsidies to the mining industry in Australia. The figure came to $17.6 billion over six years. The mining lobby didn't respond with its own figure; it simply issued abusive press releases claiming "gross deception" and propaganda on behalf of TAI, saying that this think tank was hell bent on destroying the mining industry and ruining the lives of hard-working Australians.

The $17.6 billion put on subsidies was not so much a matter of interpretation – as the Minerals Council's independent expert framed it – but more one of addition.

The subsidies are not fabricated. They are real. They can be added up. And there is no doubt that many of the projects subsidised by taxpayers have delivered a worthwhile economic benefit. Some subsidies have been worth it, others not.

The key points in the report commissioned to respond to TAI were:

infrastructure spending for miners by state governments is not "assistance" as it is usually on a commercial basis;
the mining sector enjoys no preferential access to infrastructure; and,
spending on mining does not come at the expense of social infrastructure.
These key points, however, are contradicted by state submissions to the Commonwealth Grants Commission. This is the body the states go to – cap in one hand, violin in the other – to complain about how poor they are and therefore demand as much in GST revenues as they possibly can.

The submission from the Queensland Treasury is particularly revealing. Bear in mind that Queensland shells out the bulk of mining subsidies.

Let's compare the Minerals Council claims with Queensland Treasury submissions.

Minerals Council:

The bulk of the expenditure claimed by the Institute as a subsidy is associated with the provision of services through rail, port, water and electricity infrastructure investments by government-owned business or Public Trading Enterprises (PTEs). Consistent with national competition policy and the state-based legal and policy arrangements that govern these entities, these services are provided on a commercial, cost recovery basis through user charges levied equally on all users, including the mining and resources sector. (pi)

Queensland Treasury:

One view expressed during the GST Distribution Review submission process was that infrastructure costs borne by government in support of the mining industry should not be recognised in the HFE process because the majority of these expenditures are cost recovered from industry. However, little evidence has been presented to support this assertion, and Queensland has substantial costs that are not recovered from industry, particularly in the area of roads construction. It seems likely that other mining states have similar expenditures. (p16)

Minerals Council:

Finally, while all state and territory governments have finite limits on their ability to borrow, investment in infrastructure recovered by user charges does not impact on a government's ability to borrow for social infrastructure. This is because any such borrowings are supported by that user charge income – that is, the higher the potential income, the higher the borrowing capacity of the government.

In this respect, the Institute is just plain wrong in its assertion that mining and resources sector related capital investment comes at the expense of investment in social infrastructure. In fact, the opposite is true; a sizeable portion of the profits of government businesses that provide such services as rail, ports and electricity flow back to Treasury coffers as dividends, and are used to fund the provision of additional social infrastructure and services. (pi-ii)

Queensland Treasury:

Some costs may also be recovered by the government over time if they are directly industry related. However, there is a real opportunity cost for governments in undertaking the initial capital expenditure. Governments face budget constraints and spending on mining-related infrastructure means less infrastructure spending in other areas, including social infrastructure such as hospitals and schools. For many projects directly related to assisting mining industry development, such as land acquisitions for state development areas, the expected timeframes for cost recovery are extremely long (sometimes decades). The opportunity cost of this use of limited funds is a real cost to government and the community. (p15)

People should be able to have the real debate in this country about industry contributions without being bullied by lobby groups and their ideological allies in the blogosphere. "The lowest form of human filth" was the line in one recent post about TAI.

Never mind that that is a ludicrous thing to say about a bloke in Canberra with a spreadsheet; this sort of thing is probably on the rise. As mining profits subside, the debate over industry entitlements and contributions to society is likely to get more strident. Then there's the environment.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Mad Katter posted:

Oh gee I wonder which religion it was.

That's just leftist confirmation bia-

The Age posted:

A woman has been left traumatised after her head was smashed into the side of train carriage during an apparent racial attack in Melbourne's north.
The 26-year-old victim was on an Upfield line train outbound on Thursday night when she was approached by another woman, who began hurling abusive and racist remarks.
The woman grabbed the victim by the neck and hair, and forced her head into the wall of the carriage several times.
She then pushed the victim off the train as it rolled into Batman Station in Coburg North.
Senior Constable Michael Potter said the incident occurred as the train approached the station about 6.55pm on Thursday night.
He would not confirm the race of the victim, despite Chief Commissioner Ken Lay urging members of the Muslim community to come forward to report racial abuse in the wake of heightened terror alerts and the stabbing of two police in Endeavour Hills last week.
Senior Constable Potter said releasing details about the woman's race could identify her or potentially lead to further attacks.
Two men, who police believe may have witnessed the assault, approached the victim and offered help.
Senior Constable said police were still in the process of reviewing and obtaining CCTV footage of the attack.
He said there were no Protective Services Officers rostered at the station when the woman was attacked.
The victim had boarded the train at Flinders Street, but it is unclear when her attacker boarded and alighted the train.
The offender is described as fair-skinned, about 177 centimetres tall, of solid build with short, brown hair and light eyebrows.
She was wearing baggy jeans, a puffy black hoodie and runners.
Anyone with information - in particular the two men who helped the victim - is asked to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or visit crimestoppersvic.com.au.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/womans-head-bashed-in-racial-attack-on-train-20140929-10nh5a.html#ixzz3EhLxFVBE

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Gough Suppressant posted:

"Tell me of your bootstraps, Usul."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

drunkill posted:

Get owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVqyB3PHn74

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I'd be interested for the last couple of weeks to see the ratio of violence by Muslims, against violence against Muslims, since it's about I'm guessing it's about 1:6 so far. So I wonder which group are the real threat to our way of life with their violent extremism....

• Locked thread