Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005
My battery life is awful on this 6 so far. I have had iPhones since the 3G, so I know what to expect. I have tried everything except for the last resort, setup as new and add the backup afterwards. Hate to sound useless, but how do I do this after setting it up as new and clicking the "skip" step. I tried googling but it only shows that I can do it by iTunes. Is this possible through iCloud?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

something clever posted:

My battery life is awful on this 6 so far. I have had iPhones since the 3G, so I know what to expect. I have tried everything except for the last resort, setup as new and add the backup afterwards. Hate to sound useless, but how do I do this after setting it up as new and clicking the "skip" step. I tried googling but it only shows that I can do it by iTunes. Is this possible through iCloud?

What is "this"?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

something clever posted:

Don't back up. Sync. There's a difference.

Also there's an actual screen dedicated to battery life diagnostics now. Use it.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I could be wrong however, if you set up your phone as a new device without restoring from a backup in the initial setup I don't believe there is a way to then go and restore your settings/apps/etc. You may be able to use an app like iExplorer to then manually move files back to your phone after setting it up as a new device though.

clopping and cumming
Jun 24, 2005

Whirlwind Jones posted:

Don't back up. Sync. There's a difference.

Also there's an actual screen dedicated to battery life diagnostics now. Use it.

I have done that and that is what makes me think something is wrong with the backup. The battery usage has safari using 34% of the battery in the last 24 hours, and there is no way that is possible. I force quit the safari app after only using it for a few minutes. Also all notifications and location services have been turned off and it has not helped. I figure this will be my last resort before heading to the Apple Store tomorrow. Thank you for the instruction to sync instead of using the backup.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

serebralassazin posted:

I could be wrong however, if you set up your phone as a new device without restoring from a backup in the initial setup I don't believe there is a way to then go and restore your settings/apps/etc. You may be able to use an app like iExplorer to then manually move files back to your phone after setting it up as a new device though.

I mean, you can, but you'd literally just be restoring your phone. It's not documented in official documentation, but it's better to do things like restoring (for the sake of battery) through iCloud. iCloud restorers just the settings and apps etc, but through iTunes, it restores small files in the filesystem. The best way for me to prove this is to ask someone who had a jailbroken device with a changed carrier what their carrier on a restored iOS 8 says. It'll show the changed carrier and any other changes at that level will stay the same too.

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Was anyone else dumb enough to put iOS 8 on their 4S? Constant freezes (especially when receiving calls about 50% of the time), apps crashing and lovely battery life. One time it froze so bad I had to hold power+home to reset it.

Thankfully it's also my work phone and they can get me an upgrade in 1 business day. I'm hoping they somehow patch this because I can't downgrade anymore, and I want to use this for an iPod or a phone for my kid someday.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Rynn posted:

Was anyone else dumb enough to put iOS 8 on their 4S? Constant freezes (especially when receiving calls about 50% of the time), apps crashing and lovely battery life. One time it froze so bad I had to hold power+home to reset it.

Thankfully it's also my work phone and they can get me an upgrade in 1 business day. I'm hoping they somehow patch this because I can't downgrade anymore, and I want to use this for an iPod or a phone for my kid someday.
Other people have reported iOS8 working flawlessly on their 4S. There's an underlying issue here.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My mom has iOS8 on her 8GB 4S and hasn't told me about any issues. I feel like she would've called me to troubleshoot 'em if she'd had any.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I've been waiting to upgrade my 4s and ipad4 until the third or so patch just in case.

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

My mom has iOS8 on her 8GB 4S and hasn't told me about any issues. I feel like she would've called me to troubleshoot 'em if she'd had any.

I have a 16gb 4S running 8.0.1 right now, the keyboard is less snappy for sure, and the new ability to answer from within the notification is cool but is really lacking reaction time.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Are the silicone cases for the iPhone 6 in stock anywhere?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

blah_blah posted:

Are the silicone cases for the iPhone 6 in stock anywhere?

Probably, considering all the smart people are buying the leather.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Probably, considering all the smart people are buying the leather.

It's difficult to imagine a less useful post than what you just wrote.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

blah_blah posted:

It's difficult to imagine a less useful post than what you just wrote.

Probably the one you just made

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dogen posted:

Probably the one you just made

Or the one you just made. And also this one I'm making right now.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

This one takes the cake

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Nice, 5th most useless post.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
lol loving itunes and iPhones are trash. I've restored from the same loving backup 5 times in a row and every single time I end up with 100GB of "other" space on my phone. This poo poo is laughably unacceptable. It's a wonder people even buy this crap anymore. Trading this in for an S5 as soon as I can.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You know what they say about insanity, right?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

You know what they say about insanity, right?
Something about moderating this forum?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Whirlwind Jones posted:

lol loving itunes and iPhones are trash. I've restored from the same loving backup 5 times in a row and every single time I end up with 100GB of "other" space on my phone. This poo poo is laughably unacceptable. It's a wonder people even buy this crap anymore. Trading this in for an S5 as soon as I can.

You know, it might not stay there once your phone processes the data for awhile.

But this sounds like a dealbreaker for you and you should probably just go back to Android I guess.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I was mocking all the people in the thread lately who have been posting as if the specific issues their phone is experiencing is indicative of the overall user experience of the OS.

:(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I feel like this is a joke, but if not, don't restore from iTunes. Can that go into the OP? Don't restore from iTunes.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Edit: gently caress I missed the joke

Markkei
Aug 11, 2010
Is anyone using a screen protector on their iPhone 6? I was looking on Amazon and it seems all/most of them don't fit very well. Anyone have any recommendations?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
It's no joke man, these are the problems of the people!

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
What are all you iPhone 6 Plus owners getting for battery life so far? Just curious.

My last full charge netted me 10 hours 51 minutes usage / 2 Days 6 hours standby according to the battery usage in settings. Mostly I was using Safari (update already Google Chrome, drat you) and listening to podcasts through the phone speaker set to near max volume (Uhh Yeah Dude for life).

Unrelated and stupid question I guess, but I can't figure it out. My notifications screen doesn't show the weather for some reason, how do I add it? I clicked edit on the bottom of the notification screen and it didn't have an option to add weather.

edit: Nevermind about the weather problem, seems like you have to run the Weather app at least once for it to figure out your location, then it appeared in my notifications automatically.

Damo fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 30, 2014

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Rynn posted:

I've been running iOS 8 on my 4S for the last week or so and it's been fine. It's definitely more sluggish than 7 was (as you'd expect), but it's definitely not un-usable. For me the worst issue has been a moderately unresponsive task-switching screen. If I scroll too quickly it crashes, but otherwise I haven't really had any problems :shrug:

Also, this made me laugh really inappropriately at work:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I was mocking all the people in the thread lately who have been posting as if the specific issues their phone is experiencing is indicative of the overall user experience of the OS.

:(

Yeah, definitely no issues with iOS 8 on a 4S, that guy was obviously lying about bugs, crashes, and lockups

webmeister posted:

I've been running iOS 8 on my 4S for the last week or so and it's been fine. It's definitely more sluggish than 7 was (as you'd expect), but it's definitely not un-usable. For me the worst issue has been a moderately unresponsive task-switching screen. If I scroll too quickly it crashes, but otherwise I haven't really had any problems :shrug:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

RVProfootballer posted:

Yeah, definitely no issues with iOS 8 on a 4S, that guy was obviously lying about bugs, crashes, and lockups

Yes that's exactly what I said

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

webmeister posted:

Yes that's exactly what I said

Nah, that's what WhirlwindJones said, you're a cool dude just making the best of it. E: I mean come on, his obvious joke post was answered sincerely multiple times because it was entirely believable, haha

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 30, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Markkei posted:

Is anyone using a screen protector on their iPhone 6? I was looking on Amazon and it seems all/most of them don't fit very well. Anyone have any recommendations?
I got a pack of these for free (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MRJQ3US/) and yeah, they're too small, though they claim all screen protectors are like that because the 6's screen has a ridge before it slopes down to meet the alumnium unibody back.

It doesn't really seem like that to me, but regardless, I wouldn't pay for a screen protector at this time until they figure things out.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Because do not use screen protectors on your 6.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Screen protectors are really dumb and I don't get why anyone would want to put a 10c piece of lovely plastic over their gorgeous screen they just paid a lot of money for. Why would you want to filter your amazing display through a poo poo piece of plastic, and why would you want to touch that instead of the smooth oleophobic glass?

Seriously, the screens aren't damaged or scratched as easily as people think, and even when they are the scratch is rarely ever visible during normal use. Also, the argument that people want to keep the screen pristine for resale value is really stupid. So you are going to suffer a plastic film over your phone screen for the next two years so the person you sell it to has a new quality screen to enjoy? Why not, you know, enjoy it yourself?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

noirstronaut posted:

Because do not use screen protectors on your 6.

This man is cool and correct, gently caress a screen protector.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
Balance an i phone six plus on your left butt cheek while you sleep for improved power and diminished ignorance.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Holy crap the ipad chargers charge the 6 plus super loving fast. If anyone has a 6 plus but no 12w ipad charger to go with it, you really need to get one. Charging to from around 0% to 100% takes only about a little over an hour. I've very glad Apple added support for this.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

This man is cool and correct, gently caress a screen protector.

Maybe I'm just crazy but my iPhone 6+ screen just "feels" less likely to be scratched than my previous 5.

I'd still probably get a screen protector if a good one that fit the rounded edges well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Free Lightning cables through Verizon:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/accessories/apple-lightning-to-usb-cable/?null

Coupon: 4acc2014309

Seems too good to be be true, but worst case scenario, you spent no dollars on anything.