Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
This dumb movie better bomb hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Judakel posted:

This dumb movie better bomb hard.
But what if it doesn't?

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
movies bombing is actually really rare now

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Knight posted:

But what if it doesn't?

I will cry

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Wedemeyer posted:

It's happened. Someone put this permanently onto themselves.

That's a perfect example of a really talented artist whose skills and time have been completely wasted. But he was probably paid a shitton of money by the studio so good for him.

Also this movie will both be really bad and make a ton of money. And then be forgotten in a year.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's a well executed tattoo, which is not to be confused with a good idea.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

10 years ago everyone loved Will Smith. Then he made a bunch if lovely decisions, a lot of them related to trying to launch Jaden's career, and now he's essentially box office poison.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

eSports Chaebol posted:

Any sort of support for this statement? Seems like a lot of movies bomb all the time.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

1redflag posted:

Any sort of support for this statement? Seems like a lot of movies bomb all the time.

they might fail to live up to expectations, but rarely end in the red for producers. Even Waterworld was ultimately a financial success. I think Pluto Nash might be one of the last real bombs (well maybe John Carter was too but Disney is a whole nother thing with marketing and merchandising)

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Casimir Radon posted:

10 years ago everyone loved Will Smith. Then he made a bunch if lovely decisions, a lot of them related to trying to launch Jaden's career, and now he's essentially box office poison.

I've heard that's ultimately what got him killed off prior to the events of the Independence Day sequel, trying to make his kid IRL his kid in the movie and I guess Emerich or whoever just wasn't having it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

eSports Chaebol posted:

yeah exactly. not a hope this will bomb.

the only superhero thing in recent memory i can think of is the FF reboot

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Don't forget that dummy who got a Ghostbusters 2016 tatoo before the trailer even dropped. Some people are just loving idiots.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

ChogsEnhour posted:

Don't forget that dummy who got a Ghostbusters 2016 tatoo before the trailer even dropped. Some people are just loving idiots.

If the movie never came out for some reason they could just play it off as a gender bent ghost busters and pretend to be progressive.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i got this entire thread tattooed on my prodigiously large rear end

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ChogsEnhour posted:

It's also possible they were paid by a marketing subcontractor to do it

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

eSports Chaebol posted:

they might fail to live up to expectations, but rarely end in the red for producers. Even Waterworld was ultimately a financial success. I think Pluto Nash might be one of the last real bombs (well maybe John Carter was too but Disney is a whole nother thing with marketing and merchandising)

Recouping your budget isn't enough to be considered a success. You have to beat the average return and/or exceed expectations to be a success. Otherwise if you can't beat the opportunity cost of making the movie then you're still considered a failure even if you didn't actively lose money

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Mange Mite posted:

It's also possible they were paid by a marketing subcontractor to do it

Could be. I just know he was tweeting Paul Fieg with pictures of it hoping senpai(?) noticed him.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Otisburg posted:

I've heard that's ultimately what got him killed off prior to the events of the Independence Day sequel, trying to make his kid IRL his kid in the movie and I guess Emerich or whoever just wasn't having it.

This is hilarious, since he already tried to give his kid a summer blockbuster in After Earth, and we know how that turned out. ID4: 2 probably would have paid him a shot load of money to be in that movie.

eSports Chaebol posted:

It also helps that movies are making a lot of money internationally, especially tent-pole movies, so movies can be financially viable even if it does not make as much in the US. Example, The transformers series has been declining financially since the second one, but the international numbers make up for it, especially China.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Imagine for a moment if you will that Harley Quinn wasn't a character in this movie, just the rest of the ensemble. Completely excised from the movie and all trailers.

Yeah.

Makes you realise how much the movie is banking on the sex appeal of one attractive woman to save it because everything else in those trailers is utterly forgettable.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

DancingShade posted:

Imagine for a moment if you will that Harley Quinn wasn't a character in this movie, just the rest of the ensemble. Completely excised from the movie and all trailers.

Yeah.

Makes you realise how much the movie is banking on the sex appeal of one attractive woman to save it because everything else in those trailers is utterly forgettable.

It seems pretty clueless on what sort of tone to have for the movie and costumes are pretty bad.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

PassTheRemote posted:

This is hilarious, since he already tried to give his kid a summer blockbuster in After Earth, and we know how that turned out. ID4: 2 probably would have paid him a shot load of money to be in that movie.

He asked for 40 million and the produces were all like "Heh, do you think you're Will Smith from twenty years ago?" and then decided to kill him off rather than make a counter offer.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Frankenstyle posted:

He asked for 40 million and the produces were all like "Heh, do you think you're Will Smith from twenty years ago?" and then decided to kill him off rather than make a counter offer.

lol

I actually liked After Earth and I think the hate for it was overblown. However the worst part was absolutely Jaden. Kid just can't act worth a poo poo.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Suicide Squad seems like a prime candidate to be in constant rotation on FX DVD on TV or whatever the equivalent of that is in 2016. Or at least replace the previous Fantastic Four's rotation in daytime cable TV runs.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 16, 2016

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

god being a crew member on suicide squad sounds like working with the most insufferable tryhard cunts on the planet

also will smith and his wife are crazy sex perverts, pretty sure he wants to gently caress his son

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

some sorta

suicide squad

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

lol

I actually liked After Earth and I think the hate for it was overblown. However the worst part was absolutely Jaden. Kid just can't act worth a poo poo.

Too bad he's the main character.

Frankenstyle posted:

drat son. Man go for points on the gross.

40 Million is Downey Iron Man money.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

PassTheRemote posted:

Too bad he's the main character.

drat son. Man go for points on the gross.

40 Million is Downey Iron Man money.

Downy actually made well over 75 million on Iron Man 3 because he had gross points on it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tiberius Christ posted:

god being a crew member on suicide squad sounds like working with the most insufferable tryhard cunts on the planet

also will smith and his wife are crazy sex perverts, pretty sure he wants to gently caress his son

I remember when BSS finally closed the CAD thread not because CAD just became passable instead of terrible, but because goons started saying Tim Buckley and his wife was abusing their dog out of nowhere.

GBS have no such luxury.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

downey jr. gets 75 million clams for starring in a cgi clusterfuck

if I was a big time actor as soon as I made 10 mil I'd find a quiet spot in the northeast and live off the interest and play video games forever

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Downy actually made well over 75 million on Iron Man 3 because he had gross points on it.

Ryan Reynolds not only starred in Deadpool but he also produced it so god knows how much money he's raking in from that crazy rollercoaster. It made almost as much money as Iron Man 3 but cost about $150 million less to make.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Ryan Reynolds not only starred in Deadpool but he also produced it so god knows how much money he's raking in from that crazy rollercoaster. It made almost as much money as Iron Man 3 but cost about $150 million less to make.

Deadpool is the highest grossing superhero movie ever.

Also 2nd highest grossing R rated movie ever. Second only to Passion of the christ.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Frankenstyle posted:

Even better his pilot character gets killed in a random accident not fighting aliens.

naem
May 29, 2011

Dead pool was "good" and "fun" and "a good movie"

you'd think they just "always do that"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Apparently there will be a movie with not just Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn but also other DC female superheroes.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Untitled "Tumblr Movie Project"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I can see the marketing for that already.

The headline: "Feminist empowerment"

*thrusts breasts barely contained by a leather bra into the camera*

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
live action adaptation of kate beaton's Strong Female Characters

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

naem posted:

Dead pool was "good" and "fun" and "a good movie"

you'd think they just "always do that"

They can't "just" do that because doing that entails risk and lord forbid they risk even one loving penny, one goddamn cent with a competent writer, director and crew when they can just nickel and dime with total hacks and crank some safe, tepid bullshit out.

But if rich actors want to put their own money up then that's all fine.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Is harley a hero now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

DancingShade posted:

I can see the marketing for that already.

The headline: "Feminist empowerment"

*thrusts breasts barely contained by a leather bra into the camera*

If you want a vision of the future of cinema, imagine a butt stamping on a human face - forever

http://i.imgur.com/vTBibfF.webm

• Locked thread