Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean Smallville GA was just some dude and Flash wasn't even Barry so I could buy them just being Clark's old friends who didn't make a big enough splash for Kara to mention when she meets Barry and Oliver. And there were already 2 Jimmy Olsens in Smallville so I'll just assume James is another guy. Apparently they're just drawn to Clark.

Again, I'm obviously kidding. That "Clark's friend Chloe" just got my nerd brain spinning.

howe_sam posted:

You mean other than Kara?

I forgot her, oddly. Although given the history of comic Supergirl I'm not sure having 2 different ones is actually even half way to a continuity inconsistency. Maybe she was Power Girl. Or our Kara is actually an angel. That makes sense. I bet her middle name is Linda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Tiny Alex is best Alex :3:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Holy poo poo those actors were perfect. It was uncanny.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Yeah, I've rarely seen such a spot on casting for young versions of characters.
If you had seen them in something else or walking on the street you'd think "hey, that girl looks like a teenage version of Melissa Benoist/Chyler Leigh".
I also liked the break away storyline. It was cool to see a Smallville take on Kara, and have the girls get their Nancy Drew on.

It was also more what I wanted Smallville to be.
I stopped watching Smallville during the first season, it started all right, but it became apparent that they were never going to let him be Superboy, and I hated that they introduced Lex in the first episode and made him and Clark teenage friends. I know he was a Smallvillean in some comic iterations as well, but I thought it felt forced to have Superman be on high school with his nemesis, and from previews and clips I understand they introduced many of Supe's other friends and adversaries over the next seasons. Were there really TEN seasons? and never any flying around with a cape?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well he puts on the cape in the series finale.

Except that Welling was a cock and refused to do it so they had to use a stand in.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Except that Welling was a cock and refused to do it so they had to use a stand in.

I will never understand why he hated the suit so much. I mean you know you're playing Superman.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hangedman1984 posted:

I will never understand why he hated the suit so much. I mean you know you're playing Superman.

If I recall, his position was "I was hired to be Clark, not Superman." It's why I took such delight in him not getting the gig when they brought Superman into this show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I remember you mentioned in BSS that you'd watched every superhero TV show - is Smallville the worst in your opinion or is stuff like Manimal and Automan worse?

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Rhyno posted:

Haha, you're kidding, right?

No, of course you're not. I'm glad I skipped out when I did.

I actually liked a few of the visual references to his suit in the early episodes, like when he saved Lex from the car going into the river or something I think he got a red towel across his shoulders afterwards, and the bullies painted an S on his chest before hanging him as a scarecrow, that last one also doubled as a crucifixion metaphor for someone who would grow up to be the savior of mankind. Heavy-handed as they may be, those visuals were etched into my mind and the most memorable things about the episodes I watched of the show.

My "perfect" Smallville show would have had a set number of seasons, ending when Clark graduated and moved to Metropolis. It would have had Lana Lang as his love interest, and ended with them growing apart and parting as friends as he had his eyes set on the big city and a career in the Daily Planet, and her wanting to settle down in their home town. It would have had him gradually having to use his powers (like Kara in this episode) and being conflicted about it, maybe even dicovering the suit and being superboy for a while.

I think the Lois and Clark show (or maybe I'm confusing it with the Reeves movie, It's been a long while since I saw either) had the contrast of Clark Kent being a small town boy bumbling about in the big city and struggling with adapting, while also being introduced to all the sinister bad guys and becoming the city's savior in his secret life (pretty much like Kara in the first season of Supergirl). I think that the impact of adjusting to both city life and superheroing is dampened if he already knew Lex Luthor, Green Arrow, The Flash, Lois Lane and everyone else he would meet in Metropolis long before he moved there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

hangedman1984 posted:

Tom Welling hosed up. He started before comic movies got cool and convinced himself it was a bad thing to be on screen in tights with bad effects. When Nolan's Batmans and the MCU came along the whole thing changed and Smallville clearly tried to play catchup in those later seasons but Welling just couldn't get his mind around to it. Its nuts how different Smallville is from the Arrowverse despite only 1 year separating them.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Just the other day Welling was on Michael Rosenbaum's "Inside of You" podcast and it's moderately interesting to see some of their thoughts on the show.

Lex and Clark's early relationship (first 5 seasons) is about the only really compelling thing about Smallville. The teases were fun as a Superman fan, but Lex being a friend that could have been a force for good and defied the sins of his father but was instead corrupted basically by the father of Superman is a GOOD story. Jonathan Kent's hatred helping push Lex away, all of Clark's lies setting it in stone - it was good. It was well done. You had Schneider and Glover as two great actors helping it along.

And then after that everything just sucked. Once Lex went evil, got rid of the dads, and brought the Lex/Clark story to its conclusion the show had blown its wad and was pointless. Coupled with the fact that WB bound the hands of the show a lot (Lois can't be on the show; okay she can be but not a reporter or interested in Clark; etc) and that it had to do knockoff versions of future villains (Doomsday, ugh), it just fell apart. The core of the first five seasons is strong, although full of monster of the week poo poo and some really bad acting/plots. A tighter, faster version of the same story would be great.

Mortanis fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 17, 2017

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Except the show didn't really approach good until they moved to Metropolis, added Green Arrow to the main cast and basically became the Justice League show, with Clark and Lois as reporters. Say Seasons 7-10; with maybe seasons 5 & 6 demonstrating a gradual improvement. The first 3 seasons were mediocre, Season 4 in my opinion was dreadful, absolutely the low point of the show.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Holy poo poo, young Kara is Charlotte from The 100 where she killed Isaiah Washington's son

CeeJee fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Nov 18, 2017

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CeeJee posted:

Holy poo poo, young Kara is Charlotte from The 100 where she killed Isaiah Washington's son

She merked him good style

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CeeJee posted:

Aw poo poo, she's back and now she has super powers.

also crossover costume spoiler(does this need to be spoilered?)

You can tell she's a Nazi because she has a cool outfit

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, that impending fight is gonna be super hot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm glad they resisted making Uberfrau's outfit just a sexy version of Supergirls.

I watched Smallville at first but was so bored by the lack of super heroics and over abundance of romance. Then came back when they had the Justice Society tv movie. Michael Shanks was the best Carter Hall, and I loved they had 90s Starman in it briefly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if Alex is gonna rebound with Sarah during the crossover.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
You know it’s gonna happen.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Now I will be disappointed if it doesn’t

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What happens on Earth X stays on Earth X.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Earth XXX

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Aw poo poo, she's back and now she has super powers.

also crossover costume spoiler(does this need to be spoilered?)

You can tell she's a Nazi because she has a cool outfit

Kara Danvers, She-Wolf of the SS

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Melissa Benoist already did one of those photoshoots.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gonz posted:

Melissa Benoist already did one of those photoshoots.

:quagmire:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Goodby Sanverse, hello Lanvers.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

nine-gear crow posted:

Goodby Sanverse, hello Lanvers.

That'd be a hell of a Jiu Jitsu bout.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Unsure where this is from.

https://i.imgur.com/xRBRFnp.mp4

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

GreenNight posted:

Unsure where this is from.
(snip huge image)

Minecon, the Minecraft convention. It's a big musical Minecraft ad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Man, how much did they pay her.

Oh the entire video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od3lMFZIsE4

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman when my brother and I watched box set a few years ago - I enjoyed Lex being a petty rear end in a top hat, and somehow eking out a win even when he lost, like in the episode where he creates a heatwave and blames Superman's powers on the effect - after the plan falls apart, his assistant played by Tony Jay just mentions "By the way, sales of Lexcorp air conditioning units have skyrocketed." and him and Lex just start dancing together. :3:

Also the amazing episode where Superman is busy dealing with problems in another part of the city, and Lois and Lex, who are together as things go awry in a way that isn't Lex's fault, are assailed by an enemy - Lex shoots the guy, saving Lois and is seriously loving the look on Superman's face when he hears the line from Lois - "Lex saved me..." He's never been happier.

Also the episode where the children being experimented on by a subsidiary of Lexcorp to have super intelligence decide to steal a bunch on money with their super smarts are try to use it as leverage to get more of the drug as they have become addicted to their intelligence. The entire episode is everything falling apart for Lex, as it was his account that they emptied - first of all his masseuse refuses his credit card, then he gets captured by his own super-kids and held hostage with an unstable version of the serum as the threat, that with the dose they are planning on giving him, will turn him into a drooling vegetable if they don't get what they want - they went that far because Lex tried to trick them with the lovely drug, and they turned the tables. Lex is terrified, and humiliated at having to be rescued by Superman.

Lex was the best in that show, as were Ma and Pa Kent. Ma Kent taking up painting was an amazing subplot, because Pa Kent found a nude portrait of her and went to Clark with it thinking she was having an affair - Clark's reaction to the painting is just "...Mom? :stare:...":allears:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 20, 2017

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Hellraiser reboot looking weird.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So that's where the fourth Motherbox is

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Kryptonians everywhere!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Giving Reign the complete Superman backstory is an interesting decision that I think works?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Oh wow, they're actually doing Legion of Superheroes stuff.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Is Kara wearing the blue or white dress?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It was a limited time offer!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Wikipedia says Imra is Saturn Girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

So that's how they're going to handle the transition to Reign, okay.