Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
So the GP top eight bracket seeding is odd:

Is this some sort of WLTR gently caress up? I would be PISSED if I got 4th and didn't get to choose to play or draw. 2nd place getting to play against 5, 6 and 8th seeds before the finals doesn't really matter here because the player skill level isn't particularly disparate, but if that happened in any other competitive scene the organizers would be laughed at forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Calling Aetherworks Marvel fair is insane. Turn 4 Ulamog is not fair. That's the point, that's why people are willing to deal with the setup cost and accept the times that Marvel misses. When you spike a 10 mana creature on turn four, and then keep the Marvel around to do it again if they answer the Eldrazi, it doesn't feel like you're playing the same game as your opponent. It's silly to call Marvel fair because you have to put a bunch of weird or bad cards in your deck and then draw the right distribution of cards. If that's the case, Legacy Storm is a fair deck - you have to put a bunch of card-disadvantageous cards into your deck like Dark Ritual and Lotus Petal, plus bad cards like Lion's Eye Diamond and Ad Nauseum, and then you need to draw Ad Nauseum and the mana to cast it.

Yeah I mean if it was anything remotely like ANT and had fast mana and tutors and card selection and discard it probably would be insane. It has none of those things, wtf are you even talking about.

PJOmega posted:

Are you cross posting from mtgsalvation? You've gotta be a gimmick poster given your track record.

I'm not a gimmick poster, maybe you just know a lot less about magic than you think you do? The deck isn't some oppressive force in the metagame like Saheeli, and yet people in this thread are comparing it to BBE of all things.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

TtB gives them haste. Turn 4 Newlamog w/o cast and w/o haste isn't crazy considering the deck building requirements needed for that to go off.

That's true, but even if you just plop it into play without haste your opponent has to already be holding removal that turn or they're in huge trouble. And while I don't play Standard, everything that I've been reading in this thread tells me that removal is v bad right now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I'm not a gimmick poster, maybe you just know a lot less about magic than you think you do? The deck isn't some oppressive force in the metagame like Saheeli, and yet people in this thread are comparing it to BBE of all things.

It doesn't need to be oppressive to be terrible gameplay. See also: most of modern.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Yeah I mean if it was anything remotely like ANT and had fast mana and tutors and card selection and discard it probably would be insane. It has none of those things, wtf are you even talking about.

So it's fast mana, tutors, card selection and discard that make a deck unfair? Cool. GB Delirium was an unfair deck, just like ANT is in Legacy.

Nobody said the deck was oppressive. We said it's unfair. Aetherworks Marvel is a dumb card because if there isn't anything worth the effort, it's a useless card. If there are cards like Emrakul or Ulamog or the cat combo pieces that are worth fishing for in the top six, it's an unfair card because it converts an easily generated resource (energy) into a large amount of mana and card selection an extra card, OR it misses and rebuilds the energy, OR it just misses and doesn't do anything. When it hits, it's unfair. When it misses, it's bad, but the times where it hits are so good that players are willing to take the misses. If it didn't get to repeat, or like other people said it came into play tapped so people could answer it, it'd be fair. If you don't have a counterspell up, Marvel is going to get a shot at the top six, and there isn't much you can do about it without playing really bad sideboard cards.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

It doesn't need to be oppressive to be terrible gameplay. See also: most of modern.

OK cool, you don't like the spin it and win it gameplay, that's fine, nowhere did I say it was good gameplay, I was discussing the deckbuilding, activation cost and fizzle rate as balancing factors, not whether or not it was some highly interactive deck that's great to play and watch.

The deck is basically this standard format's version of a ramp deck, except a bit higher variance then is normal for that kind of deck.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Every time I see a Magic argument caused by differing understanding of the term 'fair' in context, I take a drink.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mossyfisk posted:

Every time I see a Magic argument caused by differing understanding of the term 'fair' in context, I take a drink.

please get help

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

So the GP top eight bracket seeding is odd:

Is this some sort of WLTR gently caress up? I would be PISSED if I got 4th and didn't get to choose to play or draw. 2nd place getting to play against 5, 6 and 8th seeds before the finals doesn't really matter here because the player skill level isn't particularly disparate, but if that happened in any other competitive scene the organizers would be laughed at forever.

My guess is that top 8 seeding for limited GPs is random so that you don't draft against specifically your quarterfinals opponent.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elyv posted:

My guess is that top 8 seeding for limited GPs is random so that you don't draft against specifically your quarterfinals opponent.

Round 1 in a draft pod is always supposed to be against the person seated opposite you. So you know who that's going to be when you're drafting.

Though they randomise seating for top 8 drafts so people don't try to get seated next to their teammate in order to collude in the draft portion.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mossyfisk posted:

That's fair.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Unfair decks are strictly better than fair decks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Jabor posted:

Round 1 in a draft pod is always supposed to be against the person seated opposite you. So you know who that's going to be when you're drafting.

Though they randomise seating for top 8 drafts so people don't try to get seated next to their teammate in order to collude in the draft portion.

That's stupid. Oh no, you can't intentionally arrange standings to try to cheat! Now you just need to hit the random chance that you're nearby and/or far away depending on how you're planning to cheat.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

OK cool, you don't like the spin it and win it gameplay, that's fine, nowhere did I say it was good gameplay, I was discussing the deckbuilding, activation cost and fizzle rate as balancing factors, not whether or not it was some highly interactive deck that's great to play and watch.

The deck is basically this standard format's version of a ramp deck, except a bit higher variance then is normal for that kind of deck.

You make it sound like running Attune with Aether, Rogue Refiner, Harnessed Lightning, and Whirler Virtuoso is such a slog. The only card that deck runs that is weak is the puzzleknot, but even that nets 6 life and equals an other spin.

The problem with the deck is that the only answer is a counterspell; at least with Cat combo removal would suffice. Also you argued in the past that Cut // Ribbons would probably not see play after it took first in a tournament, so I generally think you just speak to hear yourself talk.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

DangerDongs posted:

You make it sound like running Attune with Aether, Rogue Refiner, Harnessed Lightning, and Whirler Virtuoso is such a slog. The only card that deck runs that is weak is the puzzleknot, but even that nets 6 life and equals an other spin.

The problem with the deck is that the only answer is a counterspell; at least with Cat combo removal would suffice. Also you argued in the past that Cut // Ribbons would probably not see play after it took first in a tournament, so I generally think you just speak to hear yourself talk.

Dispossess resolving also an answer.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
*Morpheus from the matrix voice* what if standard is always bad

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sickening posted:

Dispossess resolving also an answer.

Same with lost legacy naming Ulamog, but lets hope they don't have negate up.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

Black has several answers, including Transgress the mind, and a number of maindeck answers are seeing play, namely Cast out and Commit //Memory.

I also had to look up what I said about Cut // Ribbons

"I mean two mana flame slash isn't good enough because it is awful vs Mardu, and in general, but I guess anything can happen with the weird way in which they are building sets now. I think that card is extremely fringe and not going to see much play."

Yeah that's still the case, it is a 1 of in some Mardu lists because it doesn't hit Heart and is also bad vs Avacyn and planeswalkers. Who knows maybe it becomes a staple and I'm wrong but I think the front half of the card is pretty bad for constructed and the back half restricts it further.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
What if all obviously pushed-for-constructed cards weren't objectively good or bad and could mostly all conceivably be played in a constantly shifting metagame and we didn't have to resort to name calling and told-ya-so's if a card does or doesn't make the finals of the first major tournament after a set release?

Comedy answer: We wouldn't have a Magic thread.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BJPaskoff posted:

What if all obviously pushed-for-constructed cards weren't objectively good or bad and could mostly all conceivably be played in a constantly shifting metagame and we didn't have to resort to name calling and told-ya-so's if a card does or doesn't make the finals of the first major tournament after a set release?

Comedy answer: We wouldn't have a Magic thread.

There is a difference in stating your opinion about a card during spoiler season and after a tournament just happened that very day. Saying a card won't see play after the card is a 2 of in the 1st place list is kind of my point about maybe listening/researching before doubling down on a opinion. Especially when people are saying it is destroying G/B on screen.

Now predicting which cards will be good during spoiler season is a new beast, and one that we all have sucked at.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Don't talk about magic cards in the magic thread when they are being discussed. I got it.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
I came 7th this weekend at the Patriot games invitational. Threw a couple of matches due to brain fategue and had a blast.

4 round sealed: built WB agro with Dusk//Dawn and loads of removal. 2-2 after stupidly loosing a match I should have won.

4 round standard: took GB agro. 3-1 lost to UR control and was simply outplayed.

4 round modern : took Boros Burn to 3-1 lost to infect (same guy who beat me in the standard portion)

3 round draft: built the most badassed drake/second sun deck but went 1-2 due to missplays and fategue. This deck should have gone 3-0 to be in contention for a win on breakers.

Awesome weekend, too much magic... need a break now.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Is there a possible Kefnet tempo deck out there (either U/B or U/R, maybe Grixis?) that top ends with Torrential Gearhulk, for standard? Attacking with a 3cc 5/5 indestructible seems like a lot of fun.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

En Fuego posted:

Is there a possible Kefnet tempo deck out there (either U/B or U/R, maybe Grixis?) that top ends with Torrential Gearhulk, for standard? Attacking with a 3cc 5/5 indestructible seems like a lot of fun.

We've done it before, it was called Thassa, and she was a helluva lot better than Kefnet.

Hopefully I get to enjoy such a thing again, but I don't see a deck that wants to have 7 cards in hand at all times in this Standard.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 8, 2017

Cracker Baron
Dec 23, 2003
Posting my 4-4 GP Richmond sealed deck which was my first real sealed event other than the two pre-releases I have done.

I would have built differently if I had not rushed near the end and I think the mistakes that I made could have potentially cost a game or two. I over valued fixing and a bit of ramp to get to my bombs and I should have certainly played both of the shimmerscale drakes and potentially the Aven flyer as well. Ruthless sniper over the 1 mana green drop would have been better probably as well. I don't like the 1 mana green drop generally speaking but both and the beetle were good place to hold counters and I don't mind the ramp to get to my bombs (those were my initial thoughts).

I designed to build the deck in a way which would hopefully trade or slow them early and then win with the great bomby cards I hard. Overall the strategy worked pretty well and the games I lost were all incredibly close. I really enjoyed playing the deck and in hindsight I think with the few tweaks it may have pulled out a day two. No large punts by me so I felt pretty good about overall game play. My red looked nice but I was not greedy enough to splash or try to work in the insult/injury or the electrify. I suppose a case could be made for a different build but I think this was the right choice. The edifice are too strong and they are in opposition of what any red deck would want to be doing in my opinion. Would love advice as I look to improve.

Cracker Baron fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 8, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Cracker Baron posted:

Would love advise as I look to improve.

i think you chose your colors well, red and blue have some sweet stuff but are way too shallow, better to play your two deepest colors since it lets you splash as well

imo the trial with just one cartouche wasn't a good idea. people play a lot of bad cards in sealed and trading 1-for-1 with their worst creature is not a good deal, especially with embalm and lots of token generators in the set. I would have preferred to play Horror of the Broken Lands, big bodies with cycling are always good.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I personally would've gone UG with maybe a small black splash for the beetle and Final Reward. Archfiend of Ifnir's a cool dude but you've practically no cyclers, Lord of the Accursed has no zombies to cheerlead, and I feel like Soulstinger loses out to Aven Initiate. Toss the ramp and stick in Rhonas's monument, the Cheetah (it's sort of neat with the monument) and Shed Weakness.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Your black has the biggest bombs in Demon and Beetle, but other than Final reward the rest of those cards are pretty bad. The deck you built has some great top end but way too much air for my tastes.

I'd personally run G/R (splashing either U for Nissa, or B for Beetle/Reward)

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

SCG's going all in on Modern, the only Standard opens for the rest of the year are the release weekend ones.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Tales of Woe posted:

SCG's going all in on Modern, the only Standard opens for the rest of the year are the release weekend ones.

It was the right call for their bottom line. Good on them.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Tales of Woe posted:

Dope.

I'm going to a modern 5k at the end of the month. Bringing bant spirits, am stoked.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Stacking the hell out of modern.
Check.
Release weekend standard.
Check.
Multiformat team events.
Check.

Basically the best of the best.

https://static.starcitygames.com/www/images/article/playmatMockupModern.png

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Man, no Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, or Indiana SCG events for the rest of the year? SAD!

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hi and welcome to the pacific northwest where we may get one GP a year and scg explicitly pulled out.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ShaneB posted:

Man, no Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, or Indiana SCG events for the rest of the year? SAD!

there's like 2 in ohio that's not a big drive

course i drove halfway across the us within 2 days so i might not be the best judge

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Hi and welcome to the pacific northwest where we may get one GP a year and scg explicitly pulled out.

But the 1K's!

No, they are not remotely comparable.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

there's like 2 in ohio that's not a big drive

course i drove halfway across the us within 2 days so i might not be the best judge

Yeah I could conceivably go to the Cinci one in October, that's about it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cactrot posted:

But the 1K's!

No, they are not remotely comparable.

Yeah at least we have legacy. Go Jordan!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You also get to live in the PNW while I languish in the flyover industrial sprawl of the great lakes region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Gotta get on the Pauper. There was a big tournament last weekend in Seattle and there is another one in 2 weeks in Bellevue. I watched a bit of it on twitch and it looked pretty fun.