Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

dexter6 posted:

I was going to say... I couldn’t land for poo poo for a long time. I had every instructor tell me to look down the runway. I just never got it.

And then I switched instructors and he told me to “look at the end of the runway.”

That made all the difference. So maybe it’s just a phrasing thing? I thought I was looking down the runway but looking at the end of pavement did it for me.

Cool, I'm going to try that phrasing, and I'll emphasize it more on short final/in the flare as well. We always talk about it during the pre-flight briefing and as a sort of debrief for each landing, but maybe it's not getting properly remembered on short final when it's most important.

Man, I love y'all giving me good advice like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I never tried it myself, but I know instructors who got results by telling the student to try not to let the airplane touch down once the power was at idle, although I suspect that's more useful for fine-tuning the flare than a situation where the student flares 50ft off the runway.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

azflyboy posted:

I never tried it myself, but I know instructors who got results by telling the student to try not to let the airplane touch down once the power was at idle, although I suspect that's more useful for fine-tuning the flare than a situation where the student flares 50ft off the runway.

Yeah, I'm considering that too, in conjunction with the low pass. Like, I'll get them to do a low pass at 1500 RPM, then overshoot, then idle and another overshoot, and then idle and just keep that fucker off the ground, and hopefully... a landing on the mains?

My flair was always pretty weak as a student too, and I can't remember exactly what worked for me, but now the way I think about it is "is the nose gear where I want it? No? Then pull back. Are you climbing? Hold the nose where it is until you slow down, then start raising the nose again after you start sinking."

EDIT: The other thing I've learned from watching YouTube is, control inputs look hosed on short final and in the flare. Constant small adjustments are the name of the game, don't expect to just hold the controls in one position and land smoothly. Look outside and figure out what you need to do, don't expect the plane to do what you want.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 24, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

All I want for Christmas is for my struggling student to actually do a goddamn flare acceptably.

Yesterday: wild ballooning. Today: severe nosewheel abuse.

I had a dude doing his first circuits today too and he was doing a better flare, why can't I get through to this other chap for love or money? Everything else is solo-ready in terms of procedures and flying the circuit, but I'm not going to send you until there's a decent chance you won't land on the loving nosewheel, jesus christ al-loving-mighty! 1 hour in the circuit and not a single quality landing...

I guess at least he didn't try flaring at like 50 feet like he did that one time a while back, I'm still picking bits of the seat out my arsecrack from that one.

Set up slow flight and drag the plane a few inches above the entire runway length to burn the sight picture in for him.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

e.pilot posted:

Set up slow flight and drag the plane a few inches above the entire runway length to burn the sight picture in for him.

It's this. find a nice long runway too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

e.pilot posted:

I think I'd want to do that solo first to make sure I'm doing it right and safely, but I think that'd be a good idea.

I tried to demonstrate a balloon recovery today and it went all hosed because I had a hair too much speed and I dropped the nose to make sure I wasn't getting too high, which is the opposite of the lesson I wanted to teach. "Drop the nose just until you're not climbing and then resume the flare," isn't really something to teach someone who's still struggling with a basic flare.

It's funny: I love instructing almost precisely because it presents situations like this. It's frustrating in the moment, but it forces you to consider all aspects of what your student is doing, and what they're attempting to do, and draw on your knowledge of aerodynamics, flight operations, instructional technique to try and bridge the gap. And you can really tell the difference between the people who are just in it to build some hours and gently caress off, and the folks who are in it for, if not the long term, then at least to make some new, good, safe pilots. It's odd to think about, because in terms of instructional technique I can tell my student is getting frustrated with the lack of progress and I need to be mindful of that, and mirroring that, I'm frustrated in my own lack of instructional technique to get him over this speedbump, in a sense.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

a patagonian cavy posted:

It's this. find a nice long runway too.

We've got 5000' on our longest runway, and I think the longest we can get to and not pay out the rear end is around 7000'. Strangely, I did it with the guy who was on his first full circuit flight today: we were wildly high, so I took control, slipped, still was way high, so I floated that fucker down a solid 60% of the runway to burn speed off, and show the effects of speed control on approach and landing. I never thought about doing that on purpose to show flaring, but that could actually be doable.

EDIT: I'm biased as a one-time aspiring physicist, but I love when I get a sci/tech minded person and I can explain the theory of a good approach in terms of total energy in a system. It's just so beautiful and complete, but only one student in ten will have any loving clue what you're talking about.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Dec 24, 2018

Cool Uncle
Dec 23, 2011
I’m starting from the bottom and I’d like to get my private pilot’s license both so that I have more freedom to travel and for the challenge. The barriers to that goal are that I will definitely be moving far away six months from now and my schedule. I have maybe 7 full weekends in the next 6 months I know about ahead of time, then the rest are one weekend day off and I won’t know which day until a few days before.

There are two instructors in my area. The guy at the airport said that only one will reliably show up for scheduled appointments. I called both and he does indeed seem to be the more professional of the two. He also said he’s consistently booked 1.5 weeks out.

I’m fortunate in that cash flow is not an issue. It would be nice to knock out many hours on the days I have available, but I assume this may not be available or an ideal way to learn. If 1 hour flights are the norm, I’d only be able to get that done if 7 pm flights were an option.

I don’t totally understand this process, but I’m concerned that there’s some element of an instructor vouching for me. Like, if I had 38 hours and was totally competent, it would take a lot more hours with a new instructor in a new city.

Any advice?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I didn’t really get flaring until I porpoised a few times and got the hang of really working the yoke to fix it. Sight picture only got me so far, I really just had to learn what it felt like to manipulate the plane in that moment.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cool Uncle posted:

I’m starting from the bottom and I’d like to get my private pilot’s license both so that I have more freedom to travel and for the challenge. The barriers to that goal are that I will definitely be moving far away six months from now and my schedule. I have maybe 7 full weekends in the next 6 months I know about ahead of time, then the rest are one weekend day off and I won’t know which day until a few days before.

There are two instructors in my area. The guy at the airport said that only one will reliably show up for scheduled appointments. I called both and he does indeed seem to be the more professional of the two. He also said he’s consistently booked 1.5 weeks out.

I’m fortunate in that cash flow is not an issue. It would be nice to knock out many hours on the days I have available, but I assume this may not be available or an ideal way to learn. If 1 hour flights are the norm, I’d only be able to get that done if 7 pm flights were an option.

I don’t totally understand this process, but I’m concerned that there’s some element of an instructor vouching for me. Like, if I had 38 hours and was totally competent, it would take a lot more hours with a new instructor in a new city.

Any advice?

I doubt you will get a PPL in the next six months, flying only on weekends. It's possible, but not likely, accounting for weather issues and poo poo like that. With that in mind, go for the more professional of the two instructors. The bane of my loving existence as an instructor is other instructors who don't fill out pilot training records and follow our published syllabus and other assorted dumb poo poo. We have procedures and syllabi for a reason, and my fellow instructors who can't follow them are a much greater source of aggravation in my life than any student ever has been*.

Don't count on doing multiple instructional flights in the same day, Flying is a demanding task, and doing so as a student is even more so. I fly 4-6 hours in a day as an instructor, and it's not significantly more draining that it was flying 1-2 hours a day as a student. The average lesson we do at my school is a 2-hour booking, which includes ground briefing, and the actual flight (which is usually around 1.2-1.5 hours -- I don't skimp on ground briefings, not because I want to get rich and charge you for ground time, but because you need to know what you're doing).

And now the good news: if you move and switch to another instructor, your hours will absolutely count. I dream of having a competent student come from elsewhere and say "I'm mostly done, can you get me ready for the flight test?" You may have to re-familiarize yourself with local procedures for a new airport, but this is a minor concern at most. I don't know how the procedures work in the US exactly, but I think you can rest assured there is no problem with moving and switching to a new instructor. In Canada, poo poo is standardized to the point that transitions between training locations are nearly seamless -- I've had more issues with students from the same school with a different instructor than I have from students who started at a different airport/flight school.

* Well, there was the one student (who's since gone Permanently Away for reasons of being an irredeemable fuckup) who was more aggravation, but you see my point. If you do things like "actually verify fuel on-board, and make sure it's enough for our flight" then you'll be quite alright.

One last thing: don't worry too much about things. I can't speak for every instructor but the only reason I put up with the terrible pay and frustration of being an instructor is because I loving love flying, and I want other people to love flying and be safe as they're doing it. God knows it ain't for the money! Get up there and have some fun.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 24, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

I'm frustrated in my own lack of instructional technique to get him over this speedbump, in a sense.
That’s what networking with other instructors and pilots is all about.

I learned more about flying in the right seat instructing than I ever did in any of my other training. :sweatdrop:

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
For anyone that added UAS rating, does the FAA send a new card completely for it? Or should they just add it to an existing card?

Asking because I just got a fresh card but can't call them because of the stupid shutdown.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dalrain posted:

For anyone that added UAS rating, does the FAA send a new card completely for it? Or should they just add it to an existing card?

Asking because I just got a fresh card but can't call them because of the stupid shutdown.

Yep new card, doesn’t look anything like the normal pilot certificate.

Dalrain
Nov 13, 2008

Experience joy,
Experience waffle,
Today.
Thanks, that's a relief to know. Was worried I'd have to do some kind of correction process. Merry Christmas y'all!

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
I had my first solo on the 23rd! :woop:

Three laps around the pattern. First landing wasn't the best ever, the 2nd and 3rd were on the money. Felt much more relaxed than on my solo eval.

Flying's fun. Merry Xmas, airgoons.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

cigaw posted:

I had my first solo on the 23rd! :woop:

Three laps around the pattern. First landing wasn't the best ever, the 2nd and 3rd were on the money. Felt much more relaxed than on my solo eval.

Flying's fun. Merry Xmas, airgoons.

You rock :cheers:

Love these posts.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hooray, I love first solos!

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
On a similar note I'm going to be signing up to start what will be a long process of getting my RPL in NZ, Aiming for a trial flight sometime in the next 7-10 days (looking for a calm smooth day at NZWR

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Beccara posted:

On a similar note I'm going to be signing up to start what will be a long process of getting my RPL in NZ, Aiming for a trial flight sometime in the next 7-10 days (looking for a calm smooth day at NZWR

Have you been denied a medical for a PPL? If so the RPL is a great choice, obviously, but otherwise I’d go straight for the PPL.

Good luck with your training in either case, and be sure to keep us updated! As an instructor I like hearing from students I’m not teaching what parts of training they’ve struggled with or anything that really helped them out, so I can improve my technique.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Beccara posted:

This is cool, I am from NZ but all my GA flying has been in the US, must be scenic and a practical way to get around there given the roads and topography... Seconding the request for updates as you go along.

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Saved.

It’s worth it. Just use a slow cooker for meals and don’t drink alcohol unless it’s free.

In other news I sold my fraction of the C210 I was flying and I’m looking to buy a PA-22 all for myself. :getin:

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

PT6A posted:

Have you been denied a medical for a PPL? If so the RPL is a great choice, obviously, but otherwise I’d go straight for the PPL.

Good luck with your training in either case, and be sure to keep us updated! As an instructor I like hearing from students I’m not teaching what parts of training they’ve struggled with or anything that really helped them out, so I can improve my technique.

I wanted to go to ATPL about 15 years ago but failed class 1 medical due to Cold Urticaria. They gave me a class 2 with no pax/no night/no overbuilt restrictions. It took like 12 months of back and forth to get them to even issue that. RPL is a GP form over here. I may start the process to see if I can get a clear class 2 as night/IFR is something i'd like to do.

From what I can tell hours may transfer between RPL/PPL and it's the same written exams so I may be able to convert it.

Will Deff give lots of updates!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Beccara posted:

I wanted to go to ATPL about 15 years ago but failed class 1 medical due to Cold Urticaria. They gave me a class 2 with no pax/no night/no overbuilt restrictions. It took like 12 months of back and forth to get them to even issue that. RPL is a GP form over here. I may start the process to see if I can get a clear class 2 as night/IFR is something i'd like to do.

From what I can tell hours may transfer between RPL/PPL and it's the same written exams so I may be able to convert it.

Will Deff give lots of updates!

My understanding after additional reading is that in NZ it’s actually a straight conversion between the two licenses — so you can get a PPL immediately after getting a class 2 medical, or if you hold a PPL you can get an RPL if you lose your medical, so you may as well start with the RPL and then see how it goes on the medical front.

The Canadian RPP (we refer to it as a permit instead of a license) has the same privileges as the NZ RPL but also a lower experience/skill/knowledge threshold, which to be honest is not a good thing. I’ve instructed RPP holders and they usually fall back on the RPP because of lower standards rather than medical or age issues, and I very reasonably consider that it’s a poor choice. If you can’t fly to PPL standards, I don’t advise flying without the supervision of an instructor. Likewise, if you hold a license or rating but don’t feel confident in your skills, I recommend flying with an instructor regardless of legal requirements.

That being said, if you’re getting an RPP/RPL for reasons other than the lower skill requirement, that’s cool and good because flying is awesome — I did it because you can hold an RPP at 16 but a PPL only at 17, but the school insisted that I finish the full PPL syllabus and experience requirement regardless.

Good luck, have fun!

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I'm a student pilot in Denmark, just completed my long cross country solo flight.

Once I get my PPL, will I be able to rent a plane in the US or how does that work? I read somewhere that Americans with PPL can only fly N-registered planes in Europe. Can I only fly OY-registered planes in the US?

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

PT6A posted:

My understanding after additional reading is that in NZ it’s actually a straight conversion between the two licenses — so you can get a PPL immediately after getting a class 2 medical, or if you hold a PPL you can get an RPL if you lose your medical, so you may as well start with the RPL and then see how it goes on the medical front.

The Canadian RPP (we refer to it as a permit instead of a license) has the same privileges as the NZ RPL but also a lower experience/skill/knowledge threshold, which to be honest is not a good thing. I’ve instructed RPP holders and they usually fall back on the RPP because of lower standards rather than medical or age issues, and I very reasonably consider that it’s a poor choice. If you can’t fly to PPL standards, I don’t advise flying without the supervision of an instructor. Likewise, if you hold a license or rating but don’t feel confident in your skills, I recommend flying with an instructor regardless of legal requirements.

That being said, if you’re getting an RPP/RPL for reasons other than the lower skill requirement, that’s cool and good because flying is awesome — I did it because you can hold an RPP at 16 but a PPL only at 17, but the school insisted that I finish the full PPL syllabus and experience requirement regardless.

Good luck, have fun!

Thank's the info, That may explain some of the stigma attached to RPL I see online. The only reasons I am doing RPL is 1) No Class 2 medical and 2) RPL training school in Whangarei, No PPL schools. Surprising that there's a lower level than PPL in terms of requirements! I would not be happy flying at anything less than PPL level. It was my intention to do a mock PPL check ride out of Ardmore after I finished my RPL to assess my skills at that level

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Per posted:

I'm a student pilot in Denmark, just completed my long cross country solo flight.

Once I get my PPL, will I be able to rent a plane in the US or how does that work? I read somewhere that Americans with PPL can only fly N-registered planes in Europe. Can I only fly OY-registered planes in the US?

You can fly OY-registered planes in the US, or possibly any JAA-registered plane, I don’t know how that works between European countries. The conversion to a US license, to fly US-registered planes, would probably not be difficult on the basis of a European license but I’m not sure what it involves. Your license determines which countries’ aircraft you can fly, but provided it’s internationally recognized, you can fly those planes into other countries’ airspace.

Beccara posted:

Thank's the info, That may explain some of the stigma attached to RPL I see online. The only reasons I am doing RPL is 1) No Class 2 medical and 2) RPL training school in Whangarei, No PPL schools. Surprising that there's a lower level than PPL in terms of requirements! I would not be happy flying at anything less than PPL level. It was my intention to do a mock PPL check ride out of Ardmore after I finished my RPL to assess my skills at that level

Yeah, again I’m not sure but I believe PPL and RPL requirements in NZ are the same for skill, knowledge and experience. The only thing to check is that your RPL is not restricted to microlights, which might limit its conversion to a PPL. If that’s why the school in question can’t instruct full PPL, it might prove to be an issue later on, but even then, you should be able to count microlight time toward one half of the PPL requirement.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Dec 27, 2018

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

You can fly OY-registered planes in the US, or possibly any JAA-registered plane, I don’t know how that works between European countries. The conversion to a US license, to fly US-registered planes, would probably not be difficult on the basis of a European license but I’m not sure what it involves. Your license determines which countries’ aircraft you can fly, but provided it’s internationally recognized, you can fly those planes into other countries’ airspace.

Generally, places in the US won't rent a plane to someone without an FAA certificate, but the FAA does have a process for converting foreign certificates to their US equivalent.

You can start the process from Denmark, but you'll need to meet with someone from the FAA in person in the US to actually finish the process, and the entire thing is somewhat convoluted, but is mostly paperwork.

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

http://blog.wayman.net/can-i-use-my-foreign-private-pilot-license-in-the-us

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Got a flight review done with my old man over the holidays. Boy howdy a 140 is very much not a Harrier, and "just kick out the crab angle at 5 feet" is not the preferred method for crosswind landings in a Cessna, apparently! Been a while.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 28, 2018

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
Trial flight booked for this Saturday! :woop:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
First solo xc in the books :toot: Highlights include a lot of chop, my silkiest landings yet, and a simultaneous approach alongside an A320

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Beccara posted:

Trial flight booked for this Saturday! :woop:

Awesome, enjoy!

dupersaurus posted:

First solo xc in the books :toot: Highlights include a lot of chop, my silkiest landings yet, and a simultaneous approach alongside an A320

Sweet! Every time doing something new for the first time as PIC is loving awesome. I can't wait for my first multi PIC flight, and then my first multi-IFR PIC flight.

Also I'm jealous of getting to fly around big planes. I may fly out of a loving busy training airport, but I've never dealt with anything larger than a light jet or the occasional Beech 1900.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PT6A posted:

Also I'm jealous of getting to fly around big planes. I may fly out of a loving busy training airport, but I've never dealt with anything larger than a light jet or the occasional Beech 1900.

This is one of the reasons I’m so thankful I was able to train at the airport I did. A sleepy class c that was shared with a military base. It wasn’t very busy but every flight was always talking to clearance, always talking to approach. I’d regularly see anything from CRJs to Heavy military cargo and fighters and everything in between. It made going anywhere else a piece of cake.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Yeah it’s a fun mix of humble and egalitarian, we’re all doing the same thing in the end. I got to make a 757 wait behind me on takeoff, but haven’t been around the 777 that flies out to Heathrow

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah it’s a fun mix of humble and egalitarian, we’re all doing the same thing in the end. I got to make a 757 wait behind me on takeoff, but haven’t been around the 777 that flies out to Heathrow

Yeah, when I was flying (as a passenger) out of PVR, I got a kick out of holding short to wait for a 172 to land. It's pretty cool, because you know every captain on a big fancy jet started out in the exact same place, doing circuits in a piston single of some description, so as people have waited for them, so must they wait for the next generation.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

e.pilot posted:

This is one of the reasons I’m so thankful I was able to train at the airport I did. A sleepy class c that was shared with a military base. It wasn’t very busy but every flight was always talking to clearance, always talking to approach. I’d regularly see anything from CRJs to Heavy military cargo and fighters and everything in between. It made going anywhere else a piece of cake.

CHS?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

COS

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

That's super cool, congrats! I'm looking at another week or so before my first solo xc.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

e.pilot posted:

This was the airport I trained at for private almost to a T, just with civilian cargo flights in place of fighter jets. Being on downwind for one runway in a 152 watching a 747 take off the intersecting was pretty drat cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

Congrats dupersaurus, and hope you have fun and keep flying Beccara!

My instrument checkride is next Wednesday and I'm in full :derp: mode since the DPE had a hole in his schedule a good two weeks before I was expecting. I know I'll be ready but that won't stop me from freaking out until I have the temporary certificate in my hand.