Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

silvergoose posted:

Coulda sworn Perrin thinks it at the tuatha'an camp...

quote:

“He reminds me of Wil al’Seen. You always had sense enough not to let Wil put you in his pocket.”

“Aram is a gentle boy who is fun to be with,” she said in a tight voice. “He makes me laugh.”

Perrin sighed. “I’m sorry. I’m glad you had fun dancing.”

Abruptly she flung her arms around him, weeping on his shirt. Awkwardly he patted her hair. Rand would know what to do, he thought. Rand had an easy way with girls. Not like him, who never knew what to do or say. “I told you I’m sorry, Egwene. I really am glad you had fun dancing. Really.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Huh, so it is.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

There’s a point after he meets “Selene” where Rand wishes Perrin or Mat was there: Perrin, because he knew how to talk to women and Mat, because he knew how to lie to them with a straight face.

It’s probably the most self aware Rand gets until the Gathering Storm.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I think Mat just doesn't have any experience with women before leaving the Two Rivers. He's the immature prankster of the group, and only after a while out in the world (after he's freed from the dagger) does he start flirting with every tavern maid in sight.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah early on Mat is more likely to talk about pulling a killer prank than kiss a girl.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Vavrek posted:

I think Mat just doesn't have any experience with women before leaving the Two Rivers. He's the immature prankster of the group, and only after a while out in the world (after he's freed from the dagger) does he start flirting with every tavern maid in sight.
I am blanking on the timeline.
Is it before or after he learns he is gonna get Married that he starts that behavior?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Mat basically starts womanizing in the Stone of Tear, during the downtime between the end of book 3 (taking the stone) and the beginning of Book IV. Before that he's either too sick or too busy, after that he's a hot young rich dude in a big city who likes making friends

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

The closest he gets to womanizing in the first three books is the mention that Mat is the only one who claims to enjoy the coed baths in Shienar, although even he is actually too embarrassed to get up to anything.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
He does talk about wanting to dance with any of Nynaeve, Egwene, or Elayne when they come visit him (after being cured, and when they want him to deliver a letter) before catching himself and realizing they're all going to be Aes Sedai

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It is pretty clear that he always had a womanizing personality, but you can't get up to much in a small village.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Til that jak o the shadows is sung to this tune

https://youtu.be/QtLBWCAU7vc

It's actually very close to what I had imagined

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

started the first book again and getting all nostalgic for when I read it was a kid, getting that same sense of wonder and adventure right now :kiddo:.

I like how it eases you in to the universe by superficially aping LOTR. Only part that kind of bugs me, is that early on it very strongly reads like a DND campaign that got transcribed and rewritten

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Famethrowa posted:

started the first book again and getting all nostalgic for when I read it was a kid, getting that same sense of wonder and adventure right now :kiddo:.

I like how it eases you in to the universe by superficially aping LOTR. Only part that kind of bugs me, is that early on it very strongly reads like a DND campaign that got transcribed and rewritten

It was what, 1991-2? Lot of surprisingly popular D&D novels around then, wouldn't be surprised at all if that was intentional.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The LOTR is exactly what Drew me in! I'm stuck on book 3 cause I usually do audiobooks and, well, working from home has ruined that.

But I definitely started off laughing about what Jim was ripping off and ended book 1 being MEGA invested in the characters.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

One positive side-effect of quarantine is that I finally had time to do a complete re-read. Finished AMoL today after 3 weeks of solid reading.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Holy crapola. Are you reading in brail now since your eyes have died?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Things I forgot:

Nynaeve straight-up has stigmata. The scars didn't go away when her hands were Healed.

(Accepted rite sequence, thorns going through her palms.)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

“I have won again, Lews Therin.”

Still, after all these years, one of the best parts of the series.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I have the following complaint, I am sure shared by all other audiobook listeners:

Bayle Domon, Arad Doman, the Domani, the damane.

:argh:

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Vavrek posted:

I have the following complaint, I am sure shared by all other audiobook listeners:

We don’t tolerate Beidomon erasure in this thread.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Vavrek posted:

Especially where I am right now in the audiobooks, early in Gathering Storm where the Domani are defending Arad Doman from the Seanchan who are using damane. :doh:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Arad Doman Domani dominated by damane from Toman Head.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

buffalo all day posted:

We don’t tolerate Beidomon erasure in this thread.

I'm still in The Great Hunt, but I take your point.

(I forgot that dude. Mierin's always the memorable one.)

edit: On that note, goons have mentioned how differently Nynaeve feels if you first read the story as a teen and then reread it as an adult. What struck me recently was the scenes between Rand and Selene. Lanfear clearly just laughing her rear end off that the Dragon Reborn is a horny teen who she can make do anything she wants by standing there clad only in one of his shirts.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 21, 2020

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Not exactly. She really, REALLY wanted him to bang her and he didn't, which I still consider to be Rand's strongest act of will in the whole series.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Not exactly. She really, REALLY wanted him to bang her and he didn't, which I still consider to be Rand's strongest act of will in the whole series.

Yeah, but she ran away during the trip to Cairhein. She could have stuck around and kept working on his crazy rear end

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Given her level of emotional maturity, and how genuinely terrified of him she was when he tapped into the bigass sa'angreal, not to mention that she maybe-probably compelled that innkeeper into going "yo dude go bangapologise to your wife" and he still didn't, I could absolutely see her storming off in a huff. And that's assuming she didn't have evil business to be about.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Yeah, but she ran away during the trip to Cairhein. She could have stuck around and kept working on his crazy rear end

Oh, I was specifically talking about that moment in the desert wasteland world when she's coming onto him strong enough to wake the dead. Remember how insanely powerful your teenage hormones were? Now put one of the most beautiful women in the world half naked in front of you and tell me you wouldn't.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I always liked Lanfear for wanting to help Rand instead of just killing him. Gives one of the Forsaken more nuance than be bad.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Just realized: he's definitely gonna bang lanfear in the TV show, isn't he

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I always liked Lanfear for wanting to help Rand instead of just killing him. Gives one of the Forsaken more nuance than be bad.

Help him by her standards, which she fails to realise is the exact opposite of what Rand wants. He doesn't want to be what he is at that point so all her talk of power and glory freaks him out.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Help him by her standards, which she fails to realise is the exact opposite of what Rand wants. He doesn't want to be what he is at that point so all her talk of power and glory freaks him out.

Well yea but it’s still more than just kill him till he dies. Least she had ambitions other than be the chosen one. Then stub a toe and get balefired out of existence.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We definitely get a dream sequence of them fooling around if nothing else. Or maybe Rand sees an alternate timeline where he and Lanfear rule together during a Portal Stone jaunt.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It'll be a dream scene and we'll spend multiple pages arguing if it was tel'aran'rhiod

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Doesn't she force herself on him in a dream sequence anyway?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Jordan always cuts away from the actual sex having, but it's pretty obvious that Lanfear dream-rapes all the TV boys.

She definitely interrupts Rand's normal 3-way pond dreams to do it at least once.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yeah, Jordan always cuts away from the actual sex having, but it's pretty obvious that Lanfear dream-rapes all the TV boys.

She definitely interrupts Rand's normal 3-way pond dreams to do it at least once.

Huh. :stare: I don't remember that. I mean, 12,000 pages, I forget some details, but I'll be on the lookout for that this go-round.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Vavrek posted:

Huh. :stare: I don't remember that. I mean, 12,000 pages, I forget some details, but I'll be on the lookout for that this go-round.

I didn't notice that either. I know she shows up in their dreams and generally messes with their heads, but I didn't get rapey vibes out of it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's in a pond dream and she wraps herself around him naked then bites him real hard

Dunno if it's rape but she's pretty aggressive about it

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

With jordan's penchant for fading to black, it's unclear exactly what level of sex lanfear and any particular character engaged in, but that's sort of moot. INVADING DREAMS is certainly a non-consensual rape part, and all the dreamers do that on the regular. They're not good people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's in a pond dream and she wraps herself around him naked then bites him real hard

Dunno if it's rape but she's pretty aggressive about it

She's interrupted by asmodean that time, iirc.

Anias posted:

With jordan's penchant for fading to black, it's unclear exactly what level of sex lanfear and any particular character engaged in, but that's sort of moot. INVADING DREAMS is certainly a non-consensual rape part, and all the dreamers do that on the regular. They're not good people.

Yeah the wise ones tell Egwene kind of a lot that invading dreams is super dangerous, but bringing people against their will into the world of dreams is capital E Evil.