Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Weedle
May 31, 2006

this june, remember the three E's of video games: elves, eggs, and emotions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I predict that this will be the year of "actually coming in 2022" announcements.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Are there any games which are awesome but which aren't cool?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

Its fun, your main attack isn't very impressive but most of the combat is using your telekinesis during your combo and activating whatever power your companions have using your BRAIN LINK. It reminds me of Astral Chain that way where the real fun was activating your demon buddy at the right time to get combos going. Theres a level up system so more variety is definitely possible. Its very flashy with lots of in combat QTEs and mini cutscenes which could get tiresome if they don't add some variety. The MC is named so maybe no character creator? disappointing if so. Code Vein and God Eater got pretty deep discounts after a few months and I would think this will follow that trend, seems like it'd be a fun $40

More competently-executed Character Action is always good and I'm always starving for it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

exquisite tea posted:

I predict that this will be the year of "actually coming in 2022" announcements.

I feel like the majority of big games announced at E3 every year are at least a year away?

As awful as E3 is I will miss the days where every game and console was announced on the same stage over the same weekend. There was a magic to it that we won't ever get back.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
new pokemon snaps puzzle design can feel like such a trashfire experience depending on a given player's emergent and incidental path through what constitutes some of them lol

theres a request called best frenemies where the description talks about two pokemon who fight a lot but are really good friends with a picture of a specific pincir at the nature park, which is your full set of information. now, you can engineer a heracross over there with another request's worth of work where the steps (of 6 actions that can be the answer to any given step, where taking a picture itself, feeding, bopping, energizing, alerting through scan, or playing music can variably accomplish basically the same thing arbitrarily, such as all 6 being the one specific answer to waking a generically sleeping pokemon in seemingly random shuffle as an example) are to scan at a specific point so another pincir pokes out of a dirt pile, energize a nearby plant to make it vault out of the ground, scan to get its attention to stop it wandering away, then toss some apples on the ground nearby so the heracross you cant see and the scan doesnt identify falls out of a tree. getting a picture of heracross on the ground satisfies its request, though since the description of both these requests feature ambiguous principal subjects and pictures of specifically pincir and are so early you might not have heard or surmised theres only one request per pokemon which the game also never mentions, it might take you quite a while to get that far.

this leads to heracross getting into a sparring match with the pincir photographed in the best frenemies request a ways further in. this match lasts 30+ seconds and at various points photos taken of each at the highlight of an attack, and each going through their 'happy' animations at the end of the match regardless of who you engineer to win by energizing either opponent, can all result in perfect pose scores with unique commentary from professor mirror, the assessor and new oak, and will all satisfy the **** photo categories for either pokemon. experimenting with this interaction extensively, especially since it materially satisfies all the anatomical components suggested by the request, is a complete dead end. the only other way to influence it is to play music to interrupt the fight upon which they'll both again go through their stock happy animations, and walk/fly off.

now i passed on this one after a lot of time spent and figured id leave it to the end bc there are any number of pokemon in the general sphere of this encounter that could equally justifiably be an element to changing it and i didnt feel like putting in a lot more time exhaustively whittling through influences on each to see which might be the secret key. mercifully i inadvertently had the third factor revealed to me just in terms of which pokemon it was while partaking in and reading through some discussion on the game here. i just now went back to put that information into practice. it still took 30 minutes of loving around, because the proper answer at the point you've engineered the fight is to wake up a sylveon sleeping in the background with several other pokemon by energizing it because that's the answer to this particular shuffle of waking up a pokemon, upon which itll run off in the opposite direction to the fight. this is also a good distance away from the fight itself and way out of its line of sight so to speak.

if now, during the fight, you interrupt it with music, instead of going through their happy animations and wandering off, there'll be a pause for several seconds before sylveon emerges from some hilltop weeds and comes to interact with pincir and heracross. now during this interaction which also goes on for about 30 seconds and has several crescendos that qualify as pincir's and heracross's respective **** photo categories and get unique comments from mirror in the evaluation specifically about you getting the perfect timing for these frenemies almost verbatim with more perfect pose scores, none of them on their own will fulfill the request. you specifically need a shot of pincir as the shot's registered focus throwing its head back (one of a few different points in its happy animation that will qualify for a perfect **** pose score when taking place in this scenario), with heracross and sylveon being in the shot in full to register a valuable score for the contextual 'other pokemon' category, and this, and only this, will fulfill this early game request that doesnt even qualify for a reward or a distinct * photo category it's considered so mundane by the game's assessment. it's in the absolute upper bounds of amount of steps attached, their fussiness, their specificity, and the strictness of both the window for what counts and amount of required elements, and has a huge pitfall for the player to waste time with. it's also 4+ minutes into any attempt at learning or presenting anything involved. it's just so emblematic of the worst-case scenario that can come with tackling requests in this game.

and then you move on to another one that has as many steps, is just as tricky to figure out, and just as tricky to execute, but follows a completely logical chain of cause and effect and reward for noticing impact and subsequent consequence, has no detours or else detours that are straightforwardly not the right direction, and has an unambiguous if difficult crescendo to shoot for a snap of if you've been properly following its narrative. and then you move onto another one that's 'i hear this pokemon sleeps at night. can you confirm y/n' so you take a picture of the pokemon sleeping directly in the path of your vehicle w/ 10% of it in frame for an abysmal score of 1.5 thou and a pose score of 200 and it fulfills the request, gives you a new frame, and is the sole qualifying photo for that pokemon's **** photo category whereupon the request giver will go 'ah, the pokemon DOES sleep at night. fascinating'. and then you move on to writing a whiny essay in spoiler tags for a game everyone stopped playing a week and half ago.

and thats my story

actually thats not all my story because i forgot to mention for the uninitiated who are definitely reading all this, you can only get one photo per pokemon per full course run assessed and dont know anything about whether it'll fulfill a request until youve chosen it at the expense of every other one you took that run, unless youre lucky enough that it's the only snap that will qualify for one of that pokemon's star categories since those do get revealed to you before you pick one.

Violen fucked around with this message at 22:06 on May 20, 2021

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Gaius Marius posted:

Artyom's horror at realizing the Mom he was talking to was offering to prostitute her young son was one of the bleakest things I've read.

Edit:It's nice to see so many people Playing Umineko, It's one of my favorite novels of all time now
I wish Umineko had a happy ending.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wish it had a good ending

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ah, obtuse point-and-click adventure logic, it lives on where you least expect it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I finished 100% completing Pokemon Snap last weekend... or at least I would have except Nintendo still hasn't patched the one single request in the game that's actually glitched. :geno:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm anything good on the Epic store for this sale

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Violen posted:

new pokemon snaps puzzle design can feel like such a trashfire experience depending on a given player's emergent and incidental path through what constitutes some of them lol

theres a request called best frenemies where the description talks about two pokemon who fight a lot but are really good friends with a picture of a specific pincir at the nature park, which is your full set of information. now, you can engineer a heracross over there with another request's worth of work where the steps (of 6 actions that can be the answer to any given step, where taking a picture itself, feeding, bopping, energizing, alerting through scan, or playing music can variably accomplish basically the same thing arbitrarily, such as all 6 being the one specific answer to waking a generically sleeping pokemon in seemingly random shuffle as an example) are to scan at a specific point so another pincir pokes out of a dirt pile, energize a nearby plant to make it vault out of the ground, scan to get its attention to stop it wandering away, then toss some apples on the ground nearby so the heracross you cant see and the scan doesnt identify falls out of a tree. getting a picture of heracross on the ground satisfies its request, though since the description of both these requests feature ambiguous principal subjects and pictures of specifically pincir and are so early you might not have heard or surmised theres only one request per pokemon which the game also never mentions, it might take you quite a while to get that far.

this leads to heracross getting into a sparring match with the pincir photographed in the best frenemies request a ways further in. this match lasts 30+ seconds and at various points photos taken of each at the highlight of an attack, and each going through their 'happy' animations at the end of the match regardless of who you engineer to win by energizing either opponent, can all result in perfect pose scores with unique commentary from professor mirror, the assessor and new oak, and will all satisfy the **** photo categories for either pokemon. experimenting with this interaction extensively, especially since it materially satisfies all the anatomical components suggested by the request, is a complete dead end. the only other way to influence it is to play music to interrupt the fight upon which they'll both again go through their stock happy animations, and walk/fly off.

now i passed on this one after a lot of time spent and figured id leave it to the end bc there are any number of pokemon in the general sphere of this encounter that could equally justifiably be an element to changing it and i didnt feel like putting in a lot more time exhaustively whittling through influences on each to see which might be the secret key. mercifully i inadvertently had the third factor revealed to me just in terms of which pokemon it was while partaking in and reading through some discussion on the game here. i just now went back to put that information into practice. it still took 30 minutes of loving around, because the proper answer at the point you've engineered the fight is to wake up a sylveon sleeping in the background with several other pokemon by energizing it because that's the answer to this particular shuffle of waking up a pokemon, upon which itll run off in the opposite direction to the fight. this is also a good distance away from the fight itself and way out of its line of sight so to speak.

if now, during the fight, you interrupt it with music, instead of going through their happy animations and wandering off, there'll be a pause for several seconds before sylveon emerges from some hilltop weeds and comes to interact with pincir and heracross. now during this interaction which also goes on for about 30 seconds and has several crescendos that qualify as pincir's and heracross's respective **** photo categories and get unique comments from mirror in the evaluation specifically about you getting the perfect timing for these frenemies almost verbatim with more perfect pose scores, none of them on their own will fulfill the request. you specifically need a shot of pincir as the shot's registered focus throwing its head back (one of a few different points in its happy animation that will qualify for a perfect **** pose score when taking place in this scenario), with heracross and sylveon being in the shot in full to register a valuable score for the contextual 'other pokemon' category, and this, and only this, will fulfill this early game request that doesnt even qualify for a reward or a distinct * photo category it's considered so mundane by the game's assessment. it's in the absolute upper bounds of amount of steps attached, their fussiness, their specificity, and the strictness of both the window for what counts and amount of required elements, and has a huge pitfall for the player to waste time with. it's also 4+ minutes into any attempt at learning or presenting anything involved. it's just so emblematic of the worst-case scenario that can come with tackling requests in this game.

and then you move on to another one that has as many steps, is just as tricky to figure out, and just as tricky to execute, but follows a completely logical chain of cause and effect and reward for noticing impact and subsequent consequence, has no detours or else detours that are straightforwardly not the right direction, and has an unambiguous if difficult crescendo to shoot for a snap of if you've been properly following its narrative. and then you move onto another one that's 'i hear this pokemon sleeps at night. can you confirm y/n' so you take a picture of the pokemon sleeping directly in the path of your vehicle w/ 10% of it in frame for an abysmal score of 1.5 thou and a pose score of 200 and it fulfills the request, gives you a new frame, and is the sole qualifying photo for that pokemon's **** photo category whereupon the request giver will go 'ah, the pokemon DOES sleep at night. fascinating'. and then you move on to writing a whiny essay in spoiler tags for a game everyone stopped playing a week and half ago.

and thats my story

actually thats not all my story because i forgot to mention for the uninitiated who are definitely reading all this, you can only get one photo per pokemon per full course run assessed and dont know anything about whether it'll fulfill a request until youve chosen it at the expense of every other one you took that run, unless youre lucky enough that it's the only snap that will qualify for one of that pokemon's star categories since those do get revealed to you before you pick one.

i appreciate your research!

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Anodyne 2 is a whopping 33% off

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

cheetah7071 posted:

I wish it had a good ending
Good news,

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Anodyne 2 is a whopping 33% off

I already got a free copy of that from them!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Alien: Isolation for :10bux: if you never played that
Desperados 3 for $25
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments for $7.50

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 20, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nate RFB posted:

Good news,

oh did ryukishi write a new ending that is good news

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

cheetah7071 posted:

oh did ryukishi write a new ending that is good news
yes but it's weird you have to read the entire thing all over again or you won't see it. Without love, etc., you know.

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i also just spent 45 minutes knocking an owl out of a tree at literally every frame of a course across the several configurations its main character can start from and follow with zero effect so i think it might be time to hang up my hat

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I already got a free copy of that from them!

Wait when was Anodyne 2 free on EGS?!?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

wuggles posted:

Wait when was Anodyne 2 free on EGS?!?

March 2020

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Violen posted:

i also just spent 45 minutes knocking an owl out of a tree at literally every frame of a course across the several configurations its main character can start from and follow with zero effect so i think it might be time to hang up my hat

That ones really absurd. Here's the full solution:

You need to get Meganium to walk behind the tree. At some point, it will pause; this is when you knock Hoothoot out of the tree. This is nontrivial, but making Meganium walk around the back is the hard part. Here's a consistent setup I found. Some steps may not be necessary, but if you do all of them, it definitely works.

Start with Meganium on the right; retry if it starts on the left

Spawn Shaymin

Light the second crystabloom with timing such that its lit before Meganium starts sniffing, but it goes out before Meganium is done sniffing. The timing I used was its tenth front footfall after it begins walking again after Shaymin. The timing isn't very precise, but you really do want a cue to align yourself with.

The actual photo you want is Meganium looking surprised at Hoothoot. In all likelihood, its face will be blocked by the tree lol but if you snap in burst mode, it'll be the only 4*s in the burst.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I have been playing Ghost Trick the last few days. I like it a whole lot and am glad to be able to mark it off my list of "games I have to get to someday."

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

ah yes I had more pressing things on my mind that month

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

like animal crossing

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Simone Magus posted:

Are there any games which are awesome but which aren't cool?

well,

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Weedle posted:

this june, remember the three E's of video games: elves, eggs, and emotions

What's the egg game

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

mkvltra posted:

What's the egg game

Dizzy

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

mkvltra posted:

What's the egg game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The June games I'm looking forward to are the switch release of Umurangi Generation/Game Builder Garage maybe since it sounded really neat back when it was a Labo thing/Mario Golf/Guilty Gear/possibly Scarlet Nexus

there's also ratchet and clank which will probably be good but I'll wait for it to go down in price because it's another £70 game and I'm not in any rush to play it anyways

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

mkvltra posted:

What's the egg game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjWsJCe9K5o

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I noticed that one of the eggs in the carton was cracked, so I am gonna have to poach it instead of soft-boiling to go with my rice bowl

Or beef omurice maybe...

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

cheetah7071 posted:

That ones really absurd. Here's the full solution:

You need to get Meganium to walk behind the tree. At some point, it will pause; this is when you knock Hoothoot out of the tree. This is nontrivial, but making Meganium walk around the back is the hard part. Here's a consistent setup I found. Some steps may not be necessary, but if you do all of them, it definitely works.

Start with Meganium on the right; retry if it starts on the left

Spawn Shaymin

Light the second crystabloom with timing such that its lit before Meganium starts sniffing, but it goes out before Meganium is done sniffing. The timing I used was its tenth front footfall after it begins walking again after Shaymin. The timing isn't very precise, but you really do want a cue to align yourself with.

The actual photo you want is Meganium looking surprised at Hoothoot. In all likelihood, its face will be blocked by the tree lol but if you snap in burst mode, it'll be the only 4*s in the burst.

this is insanely awful lol

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i feel like requests in this game were handed off to a rushed intern after the core team had made the thousands of interactions that comprise the actual game

hey make 213 requests out of this points to list of interactions organized alphabetically

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
like thats not even a solution in any respectably intentional sense on the part of the design thats just 'heres how i smashed my head against this nonsense to get it to behave semi-consistently'

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

mkvltra posted:

What's the egg game

Billy Hatcher

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

That’s right, Billy Hatcher DLC is coming to Balan Wonderworld baby

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

mkvltra posted:

What's the egg game

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jay Rust posted:

I read some Berserk back in the day, it had like ten sex scenes but only one of them was consensual sex so I was like, Yeah this is too much for me, this isn’t fun

It has like, all of four sex scenes? And one is with a demon but that's still 3/4ths consensual so ehhh not really

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
theres a shitload of sexual assault of all kinds depicted in berserk and its completely reasonable to not wanna engage that lol