Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Could someone suggest a good breed to be ms kitties friend? She fights with our dog so we keep the dog outside and let her go in the garage with a small heater, blankets, and other stuff but ms kitty stays inside

She needs a friend :( it’s a she

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I have no idea but she sure is a good kitty!

Maybe ask at/call the shelter, explain your situation and let them help you pick out a suitable partner? They might even allow you to return/exchange if they don't get along after a while, just be sure you've made that clear before trying it out.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Zwille posted:

I have no idea but she sure is a good kitty!

Maybe ask at/call the shelter, explain your situation and let them help you pick out a suitable partner? They might even allow you to return/exchange if they don't get along after a while, just be sure you've made that clear before trying it out.

If I bring her she won’t fight with the other animals will she? I’ll give the shelter a call in a few hours

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

All cats does not in fact need a friend. Some cats just hate all other animals and would rather just be left alone except for whatever human they happen to enjoy.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

sensy v2.0 posted:

All cats does not in fact need a friend. Some cats just hate all other animals and would rather just be left alone except for whatever human they happen to enjoy.

What about kittens? It’s almost Valentine’s Day hehe my fam and current gf think it’d be cute if you know

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

unidef freeman posted:

If I bring her she won’t fight with the other animals will she? I’ll give the shelter a call in a few hours

why on earth would you bring her to the shelter? that seems like a supremely bad idea

also don't get a kitten/any animal as a present/cute thing, please

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Zwille posted:

why on earth would you bring her to the shelter? that seems like a supremely bad idea

THIS.

By fighting with your dog, do you mean your cat hisses and swats at the dog sometimes? That is completely normal cat behavior, only be concerned if there's blood or if there are visible health problems due to stress.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Have a quick look at this person's post history.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Zwille posted:

Don’t want to get trolled but it’s a gift for my cat.

Edit: I want to bring her to the shelter to see how she reacts to the other cats

unidef freeman fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 12, 2019

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

Cythereal posted:

THIS.

By fighting with your dog, do you mean your cat hisses and swats at the dog sometimes? That is completely normal cat behavior, only be concerned if there's blood or if there are visible health problems due to stress.

Kelly nips at her leg and ms kitty just defends herself iirc, she mainly runs away.. that’s why we keep the dog outside because of ms kitty runs away I’ll be sad :(

They don’t really spend too much time together aside from window time

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://i.imgur.com/5ILYqC9.mp4

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Whole foods looking a bit too fresh to me.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

unidef freeman posted:

Edit: I want to bring her to the shelter to see how she reacts to the other cats

No don't do this unless your cat is naturally ultrachill.

They'll be out of their territory/comfort zone and everyone will be mad at weird new smells. Typical cat introductions go for a week or so at least.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

ILL Machina posted:

No don't do this unless your cat is naturally ultrachill.

They'll be out of their territory/comfort zone and everyone will be mad at weird new smells. Typical cat introductions go for a week or so at least.

If I bring a male cat for my cat what will happen? They’ll fight for a week, get used to each other, and when the females in heat they’ll make kitties?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Chiming in--I can't find the specific post where she does an in-depth discussion on it, but this vet based in Australia has quite a deep backlog on cat diets, and this is what she feeds her own cats. I know I've seen her mention that dry food and wet food don't seem to really cause that much difference. The same thing about tooth brushing that ILL Machina mentions, too.

The main takeaway I've found reading both the citations she does link and listening to other vets is feed your cat what they'll eat--and if they'll eat both, half and half dry and wet is a good hedge. That's before even mentioning several prescription diets for different things your cat might get are often only in dry food. I suspect if dry food was really all that bad, they'd find a different way to make those diets for crystals/kidney issues/etc

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

unidef freeman posted:

If I bring a male cat for my cat what will happen? They’ll fight for a week, get used to each other, and when the females in heat they’ll make kitties?

In retrospect, taking your cat to the shelter is the one good idea you've had.

Assuming you're serious and/or mirroring a lurker's dilemma:

Best gift is to get her spayed. This spares her from barbs scratching up her most feminine of insides. She is not your 3D printer for transient cuteness. She is her own established cuteness.

Best animal to buy for her if you're absolutely determined to create a menagerie is some fish in a tank for her to watch. Yes, that's maintenance. So is a proper introduction between her and another cat. So is training your dog to not be so full-on around the cat (which you actually should consider imo.) I said this last page:

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

My neighbour dumping her new grey cat in front of her established ragdollish cat and expecting them to just sort it out is how I got a grey cat.

And those were both spayed girls; hormone soup intensifies everything. Your hypothetical intact male will piss.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Glitch is 1 year old!

Don't know her exact DOB so I've decided it's Feb 14th, as it's pretty much inline with what her adoption papers say.

For her birthday I got her some bouncy rattle balls, which she loves, and have also bestowed upon her the greatest gift you can give a cat THE RED DOT

Here she is currently, fresh from her daily shower.

Here she was, just after adoption

Here is a selection of my fav images from the past year

She was so small :swoon:

A Good Catte

Thank you for your time.

unidef freeman
Sep 18, 2014

by R. Guyovich

VivaLa Eeveelution posted:

In retrospect, taking your cat to the shelter is the one good idea you've had.

Assuming you're serious and/or mirroring a lurker's dilemma:

Best gift is to get her spayed. This spares her from barbs scratching up her most feminine of insides. She is not your 3D printer for transient cuteness. She is her own established cuteness.

Best animal to buy for her if you're absolutely determined to create a menagerie is some fish in a tank for her to watch. Yes, that's maintenance. So is a proper introduction between her and another cat. So is training your dog to not be so full-on around the cat (which you actually should consider imo.) I said this last page:

And those were both spayed girls; hormone soup intensifies everything. Your hypothetical intact male will piss.

We have a coy pond so I’ll take mrs kitty tomorrow to meet some fish :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

Have a quick look at this person's post history.

^^^

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Infinitum posted:

A Good Catte

Thank you for your time.

I love these pics, they remind me of my parents' tortie (RIP) and make me jealous the shelter didn't have any when we picked ours up

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Infinitum posted:

A Good Catte

Thank you for your time.

Happy birthday Glitch!!!!!

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
It’s insane to me that there was a large period of my life where I didn’t have a cat. I just think back on it and go “heh... what was I thinking?” Is this what toxoplasmosis does?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So I've run into an issue, since we've gotten Marie, I thought we would never have since both her and Sancho are fixed. They get along great until Sancho tries to mount her. Then there's a fight for a few seconds and general tension. I'm a little worried about this escalating to full blown fighting. It's probably could be at that level already if Sancho had front teeth as he's really going for her neck.

Is there anything I can do to stop Sancho from being a creep?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

KidDynamite posted:

So I've run into an issue, since we've gotten Marie, I thought we would never have since both her and Sancho are fixed. They get along great until Sancho tries to mount her. Then there's a fight for a few seconds and general tension. I'm a little worried about this escalating to full blown fighting. It's probably could be at that level already if Sancho had front teeth as he's really going for her neck.

Is there anything I can do to stop Sancho from being a creep?

Domino did that when we first brought Bean in. But then he just stopped. A friend said it was his asserting dominance but I dunno he just knocked it off randomly and hasn't done it in over a year

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Infinitum posted:

A Good Catte

Confirmed.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Lazy

Curious

Strike a pose.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I prefer my cat climbing and perching on the top head of my chair rather than my lap, unless I'm being lazy and watching Youtube or Netflix at my desk, then I'll make a lap basket for her to snuggle into.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Bootcha posted:

I prefer my cat climbing and perching on the top head of my chair rather than my lap, unless I'm being lazy and watching Youtube or Netflix at my desk, then I'll make a lap basket for her to snuggle into.

Same but I have no saying in the matter.

Also when she falls asleep on the neck rest of my chair, she sometimes falls off and by instinct will throw one or both paws around my neck to perform a kitty garrotte.

She murders me because she loves me.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I have some cool and happy cat news!

My mother's cat, Lola, is officially turning TWENTY years old this month! That's seriously right, this cat is freaking 20, as in two decades. She's this tiny little tabby whom my mother adopted when she was a grown kitten - about 6 months old. We thought she was younger because she was still so small (maybe 5-6 pounds) but she never ended up getting any bigger! She was TERRIFIED of humans at first, and the vet wasn't sure if she was feral, abused by humans, or both. In any case, my mom was the ONLY person in the world that Lola trusted for the first year, and she absolutely hated me - admittedly I was 12 years old and had not *at all* learned the level of care and delicacy with which you need to treat a cat with that sort of temperament who was going through a transition like that.

I did NOT make things easier for Lola, I am sad to say I almost certainly made them worse. We were sort of nemeses back then - she would sometimes act nice and approach me and let me pet her, and then in a *flash* she would just flatten her ears and swipe at my hand or arm with sharp claws extended and ALL of her might. More than once she gave me some really deep, nasty cuts that bled like hell and were worse than any other cat scratches I'd get in my life. She really didn't hold back. I thought it might be over-stimulation at first, but she'd let my mother pet her for VERY long periods of time and she'd never, EVER scratch her.

To be fair, I probably deserved it, though. I could have (and should have) been a lot nicer to her, and it took about ten years of never making eye contact or approaching her or handling her in any way, and only touching her very delicately when she presented herself to me for very short periods of time, until she actually started trusting me. However, as my mom notes Lola does not trust ANYONE except my mom, my mom's longtime partner/wife, and me - literally everyone else is a "stranger" to her and she doesn't even allow them to see her but for maybe tiny glimpses. She's always been that way, though. I suppose I should be flattered and maybe just a little less hard on myself. We're very good friends now, I'm pleased to say, and she's actually really happy to see my whenever I visit my mom; lets me stroke her fur and rubs her cheek against my legs and hand and purrs happily. I can't even remember the last time she scratched me.

The really amazing thing is that Lola looks almost COMPLETELY unchanged from 20 years ago when she was barely a year old. She does *feel* a little different when you touch/hold her - a little more fragile, less robust and maybe a bit lighter. I wouldn't be surprised if she's lost a little weight in the last year or two, to be honest, which I find worrying.

Anyway, I do have an actual question here. My mother is concerned about whether she needs to change Lola's diet to something more befitting an elderly cat. For basically her entire life, she has fed Lola small cans of Fancy Feast while always leaving dry kibble for her to munch on, and lots of water, My mom takes *wonderful* care of her pets (she took wonderful care of her children, too - she's extremely kind and incredibly generous and good-hearted to the point where I feel the need to protect her from people who take advantage of her nature). Anyway, she is obviously very attached to Lola, and would certainly like her to have as healthy and good a diet as she can. I think she just feels like Lola is showing signs of her age a bit for the first time, and that this might necessitate a change in her diet. She hasn't said anything about her eating less, but it sounds like she doesn't zoom around the apartment nearly as much as she used to. She doesn't chase the dog around quite so much.

But I just wanted to as the advice of you guys, about whether any change in diet is really needed in the first place (I'm not sure it is) and if not, then why? My mother is 67 years old and while she's quite smart, she is not terribly internet-savvy in that when she tries to look up the answer to a question like this, she clicks on the first page she sees that seems legit and takes it essentially as fact and just assumes the other pages say the same thing - she doesn't really get that with a subjective question like that (especially one that offers the opportunity to SELL the questioner something) you'll get a dozen pages with a dozen different answers. I did explain that to her, at least, so I hope it helped.

So regardless, I'd be curious to hear what you guys had to say - whether you agree that she should stick to the same exact diet (mostly seafood-based fancy feast with dry food to graze from) or if she should switch to sometime specific or something specially prepared. Lola hasn't had any real health problems that I know of - she's had a very healthy 20 years of life as far as I'm aware. And she's always stayed at the same weight - about ~6-7 pounds, a small and svelte catte.

fake edit: I know I've been lax on the cat tax and my posts are frightening giant blocks of words! But I'm trying to get some nice pics of Lola so you guys can see her, and I'm especially trying to get a pic of her from 1999/2000 to compare with how she looks today and see how eerily identical she is in the two pics.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I won't quote that for brevity reasons. I have a cat that will be 20 this year too, she's been on 7+ senior food since she turned 8 or 9 I think. She doesn't like dry food so that's not a factor for me.

Basically though, if your mother really wants to know, take her to the vets and get a standard series of blood tests including kidney function. From that the vet can work out if she has any special dietary needs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cat decided to use my head as a stepping stone to go from one side of the bathroom to the other.

Unfortunately his dumb as slipped dropping a leg into the water which caused him to cling to my head for safety.

What did he think was going to happen?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Got my daughter some flowers for Valentine's Day, cat tipped the vase over dumping water everywhere. I should've known better.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Cat loves it when I scratch her docked ear.

However it's looking like she has some dirt and earwax in it. I'm wondering if there's some discomfort. She certainly loves the scratching like it's the last scratch of her life, but she also attempts hand washing that ear a lot.

Something to check with the vet in March I suppose.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Took Marie to the vet today for a cough, and she's congested and had the slightest of fevers :( She got a shot and some amoxicillin drops. Which I hope I don't have to shove down her throat to administer.

She's also down a pound so I'm going to increase the amount of food I give her and Sancho and monitor her weight. If it drops more I'm going to invest in a microchip feeder for both of them. I really hope it doesn't come to that because money.

Sancho is being a bag of dicks with the post vet visit hissing. She was already stressed enough at the vet bro!

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.

Bootcha posted:

Cat loves it when I scratch her docked ear.

However it's looking like she has some dirt and earwax in it. I'm wondering if there's some discomfort. She certainly loves the scratching like it's the last scratch of her life, but she also attempts hand washing that ear a lot.

Something to check with the vet in March I suppose.

Sometimes an excess of brown-looking "earwax" can actually be the droppings of ear mites. Which would account for the itch as well. You could clean the inside of your cat's ear with a cotton ball dipped in a bit of cooking oil, like olive oil, to get some of the debris out and potentially smother any mites that might be in there, but if it is mites the best treatment will be a topical insecticide.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

My cat loves scratching her ear. She works her foot half way in there and makes mewling sounds when she hits the right spot.

I put some paper on a finger and gave her a good deep scratch. She liked that, the paper came away kind of grimy but nothing worse than a human ear.

I asked the vet about it and she did a visual inspection and said she can't see anything noteworthy but that she won't know for sure without tests, but if the cat isn't scratching to the point where the ear looks red/inflamed then it's probably fine.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So which thread is for shitposting your kitty? I see threads for calicos, orange and black cats, but where do I post pics of my brand new black tabby Maine Coon cuz I love him

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Snowy posted:

So which thread is for shitposting your kitty? I see threads for calicos, orange and black cats, but where do I post pics of my brand new black tabby Maine Coon cuz I love him

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3201527

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Hi friends, I am looking for suggestions for cat water bowls that cannot be knocked over. My partner and I have two cats, one of whom is very well behaved and the other just loving loves spilling the water out of their two water dishes all day long.

We've tried the shaped silicon "non-spill" bowl holders (knocks them over), we bought a big fancy ceramic cat water-fountain (knocked it over, burned out the motor), and we don't know what to do next.

I almost want to buy like a huge ceramic pottery plant bowl from like home depot or something, something that's like 20lbs and she won't be able to gently caress with. Anybody have tips?