Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dethanc
May 22, 2005
No Man's Sky's had more than its share of criticism, but what really bothers me in it is the garish oversaturated colors. Even out in space you can't escape from the primary-colored fog that engulfs everything. It's really visually tiring and gives me a headache after a while.

I can't help but think that the visuals would be massively improved if space was...black. Like space is supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

The final fight in the Bright Lord DLC for Shadow Of Mordor is awful. Respawning strong enemies, a boss you can't hurt until you charge your ring, and constant interruption of anything you do are all bad things.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Getting interrupted frequently drags any action game down. Hey devs, if you're making an action game, it is not goddamn fun for the player to have their controls get taken away for even two seconds.

Warframe is awful about this. It's a horde shooter most of the time but will frequently bury 1-3 enemies in every cluster who will knock you over and/or pull you to them from
range, which can effectively instakill you if the enemies are high enough level. Even if it doesn't instakill you, it is absurdly loving obnoxious and a huge momentum killer for such a fast paced game.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Digirat posted:

Getting interrupted frequently drags any action game down. Hey devs, if you're making an action game, it is not goddamn fun for the player to have their controls get taken away for even two seconds.

Warframe is awful about this. It's a horde shooter most of the time but will frequently bury 1-3 enemies in every cluster who will knock you over and/or pull you to them from
range, which can effectively instakill you if the enemies are high enough level. Even if it doesn't instakill you, it is absurdly loving obnoxious and a huge momentum killer for such a fast paced game.

There used to be an enemy called Nervos that would latch on to you and just stop you dead until removed or you died. You couldn't remove them yourself. If you got hit with one in a solo-mission, you were just straight up hosed. Rollers used to hit stun and do damage on -every frame- of their animation. Gineer scorpions used to be able to use their wires from rooms away and through walls. There was also a brief period where the grineer had shields, and the starting levels were literally and genuinely impossible for new players to complete without help because they couldn't do enough damage to kill anything. Except the boss would scale off of the levels of players playing so if they got high level player help, which was basically mandatory, the boss would then be level 10000 and other absurd poo poo and be impossible for anyone to beat because it would take loving hours due to the dev team's absurd love of invincibility phases and just general awful boss design.

The devs got into huge slap fights over every single one of these things when the players pointed out how awful they were. Then at some point after I stopped playing they took the only faction anyone liked playing against, the infected, who were a mindless zombie hoard and turned them into a clone of the faction absolutely no one liked playing against, corpus who are extremely obnoxious laser dudes with awful gimmicks, by just copy and pasting a bunch of lovely corpus units into the infected roster and going "Also they can infect machines now, have fun" so now no missions are fun. None of the enemies are fun to fight. Then just to spite players they gave all of the infected ranged attacks, supposedly to counter the age old strategy of just hiding on a ledge even though the infected can already climb, jump and wall-run. Except their AI is garbage so instead of doing what they're supposed to do they'll just stand well out of your range spitting poison at you if you're on even the most mild of inclines or happen to be standing on an invisible pixel that puts you a tiny millimeter above floor level.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that most, if not every single one of these lovely ideas comes from the exact same guy every time. The exact same guy who gets super defensive every time one of his mind blowingly awful changes doesn't go over well. The exact same guy who keeps trying to make the game take an immediate turn left into hardcore town for the hardcore gamers only. The exact same guy who always doubles down on his decisions and gets into petty arguments with people on the official forums. DE_Steve. He is the worst but he's also like, one of the core members of the team or something so they can't just fire him even though he seems to be dedicated to sabotaging the game.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 01:15 on Aug 22, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm playing Bloodborne and I'm having fun, I've beaten two bosses and I'm starting to get my axing down. I've got it up to +3, and I've got some cool armor and 13 insight.

But I don't feel like I'm making any real progress. I know I've gotten stronger (25 endurance and 15 stamina) and that my equipment is better. It doesn't feel that way, though. It's frustrating and disheartening, and making it tempting to just stop playing.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Leavemywife posted:

I'm playing Bloodborne and I'm having fun, I've beaten two bosses and I'm starting to get my axing down. I've got it up to +3, and I've got some cool armor and 13 insight.

But I don't feel like I'm making any real progress. I know I've gotten stronger (25 endurance and 15 stamina) and that my equipment is better. It doesn't feel that way, though. It's frustrating and disheartening, and making it tempting to just stop playing.

most of the areas of the game have the same look and it makes you feel like you're spinning your wheels. also, blood vial and bullet farming are bad. i get that they were probably designed to ensure players learn not to abuse them by making those abilities a limited resource, but from software already perfected healing with the estus flask and they should have at least give you a fixed amount of vials and bullets with every respawn and maybe have rare items that increase that item limit like the fire keeper souls.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

most of the areas of the game have the same look and it makes you feel like you're spinning your wheels. also, blood vial and bullet farming are bad. i get that they were probably designed to ensure players learn not to abuse them by making those abilities a limited resource, but from software already perfected healing with the estus flask and they should have at least give you a fixed amount of vials and bullets with every respawn and maybe have rare items that increase that item limit like the fire keeper souls.

I think it was more to encourage you to learn how to dodge and not get hit, and if you do engage the damage to health system instead of relying on healing. But that doesn't work out so well when you turn a corner and the next area is just a hallway fill with psychic gunmen who will happily shoot at a wall for an eternity because they know you're on the other side of it somehow. Making your parry limited by a consumable is just kind of frustrating garbage though.

One thing that really makes bloodborne, especially it's early levels, feel really slow and samey is weapon variation. For like the first third of the game you have a tiny number of weapons and if you already know what you're planning to build for and spec into and none of those weapons are it, then you're just going to be bored because unlike Dark Souls every weapon is largely unique, you won't find a lesser version of a weapon you plan to use in your final build for you to get used to early on. If you want to use a weapon you don't get until after a specific plot point, well gently caress you use this stupid sword instead for a few hours.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Leavemywife posted:

Bloodborne isn't an ARPG where you embiggen your numbers find a sword with a big number affixed to it that kills all the baddies, it's a game where you embrace the hunt and git gud.

The fact that you already have two bosses dead is a good sign because one of those bosses is among the biggest hurdles in the game. All that other poo poo in the game that has numbers into it matters very little, it really is almost all skill and familiarity with the levels.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RyokoTK posted:

Bloodborne isn't an ARPG where you embiggen your numbers find a sword with a big number affixed to it that kills all the baddies, it's a game where you embrace the hunt and git gud.

The fact that you already have two bosses dead is a good sign because one of those bosses is among the biggest hurdles in the game. All that other poo poo in the game that has numbers into it matters very little, it really is almost all skill and familiarity with the levels.

Is that boss Father Gascogione? Because I took him out first, not realizing how close the Cleric was (the werewolves scared me and I didn't want to go near them). He was a tough fight, but helped me learn to keep track of my surroundings; I got caught and murdered on the tombstones more than once when fighting them. That's also when I learned that I should be wary of a boss transforming, because he stomped me into the dirt the first time he did that.

I'm used to other RPGs where I'm making honest, tangible progress, so it's very different to me to not see that happening. I know I'm far better at fighting than I was at the beginning, which makes me feel good, but it's a very different kind of adjustment.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nuebot posted:

There used to be an enemy called Nervos that would latch on to you and just stop you dead until removed or you died. You couldn't remove them yourself. If you got hit with one in a solo-mission, you were just straight up hosed. Rollers used to hit stun and do damage on -every frame- of their animation. Gineer scorpions used to be able to use their wires from rooms away and through walls. There was also a brief period where the grineer had shields, and the starting levels were literally and genuinely impossible for new players to complete without help because they couldn't do enough damage to kill anything. Except the boss would scale off of the levels of players playing so if they got high level player help, which was basically mandatory, the boss would then be level 10000 and other absurd poo poo and be impossible for anyone to beat because it would take loving hours due to the dev team's absurd love of invincibility phases and just general awful boss design.

The devs got into huge slap fights over every single one of these things when the players pointed out how awful they were. Then at some point after I stopped playing they took the only faction anyone liked playing against, the infected, who were a mindless zombie hoard and turned them into a clone of the faction absolutely no one liked playing against, corpus who are extremely obnoxious laser dudes with awful gimmicks, by just copy and pasting a bunch of lovely corpus units into the infected roster and going "Also they can infect machines now, have fun" so now no missions are fun. None of the enemies are fun to fight. Then just to spite players they gave all of the infected ranged attacks, supposedly to counter the age old strategy of just hiding on a ledge even though the infected can already climb, jump and wall-run. Except their AI is garbage so instead of doing what they're supposed to do they'll just stand well out of your range spitting poison at you if you're on even the most mild of inclines or happen to be standing on an invisible pixel that puts you a tiny millimeter above floor level.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that most, if not every single one of these lovely ideas comes from the exact same guy every time. The exact same guy who gets super defensive every time one of his mind blowingly awful changes doesn't go over well. The exact same guy who keeps trying to make the game take an immediate turn left into hardcore town for the hardcore gamers only. The exact same guy who always doubles down on his decisions and gets into petty arguments with people on the official forums. DE_Steve. He is the worst but he's also like, one of the core members of the team or something so they can't just fire him even though he seems to be dedicated to sabotaging the game.

Steve is the loving worst and in the discord we are constantly wishing there was a way to buy his shares and kick him out forever.

I heard about nervos but they were removed before I started playing in 2013 or whenever it was. While DE has improved a lot of dumb poo poo such as nervos, some of it was so astronomically and obviously idiotic that I can't give them a pass because they included it in the first place. Steve thought for a nonzero quantity of seconds that loving nervos were something that would improve the experience. Just...how?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Digirat posted:

Steve is the loving worst and in the discord we are constantly wishing there was a way to buy his shares and kick him out forever.

I heard about nervos but they were removed before I started playing in 2013 or whenever it was. While DE has improved a lot of dumb poo poo such as nervos, some of it was so astronomically and obviously idiotic that I can't give them a pass because they included it in the first place. Steve thought for a nonzero quantity of seconds that loving nervos were something that would improve the experience. Just...how?

Back in the early days Rhino's iron skin power used to just flat out make him invincible for a period of time. All of his other skills were just complete garbage during this time frame as well. He was basically only used for iron skin because he was useless otherwise. DE_Steve thought removing iron skin to "Add Challenge to their gameplay!" would be a great idea. An for a few months the only change to rhino was that his iron skin lasted shorter and had a hilariously small damage cap, and didn't absorb poison damage anymore. So you'd tank like one hit then instantly die to the second. All while the rest of his skills were still useless because it wasn't until the complete rhino overhaul way later that they made him in any way useful.

I think Steve was also behind removing i-frames on all the casting ults because it made him mad that people liked to build around them? Except all that really did was make frames like Mag who, at the time, were only useful for their big nuke ults and occasionally trolling people by pulling them down pits completely useless. It turned their ults into suicide buttons. Around the same time I think was when they released nova as well, the frame that could, on its own, clear an entire stage with the press of two buttons. I didn't play it for too long when I gave it another try recently. But the devs haven't changed at all and swapping out keys for the abysmal relic system just seems like the absolute worst idea possible.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You could write a dictionary about other dumb poo poo in warframe so I'll just start with what happens to be at the front of my mind right now, which is dogs. Dogs are so pathetically, offensively worthless for how expensive they are to get that I'm not convinced they aren't some kind of very unfunny joke from DE. You have to do a quest to get access to them, get a dog egg through lovely RNG (and the process of getting cats is even worse), pay a lot of credits and resources to get a power cell to incubate the egg, and then the loving thing's health will decay over time unless you pay for DNA stabilizers, so there's a regular tax on them too. So you'd think these things would at least be pretty helpful to justify the process and cost to get one, right? Haha no they do absolutely gently caress-all. However they do get readily targeted by enemies, so they constantly need to be revived until you sink defensive mods into them.

Compare that to sentinels, which were in the game for years before dogs. Sentinels are little flying drones that hang out with you and are built like any other item in the game, so they're not unusually expensive or obnoxious to get. Sentinels can vacuum nearby items to you which is the single best in-mission quality of life feature in the game--It cannot be overstated how good that is. Sentinels can restore your shields to full when they run out (basically giving you double shields), and their weapons scale with the quality of the mods you have, unlike dogs which can never become more than a joke in normal combat. Each sentinel has a useful feature like giving you effectively infinite ammo or knocking down all nearby enemies, whereas dogs largely only come with one weaker version of a feature that all sentinels already have. Sentinels also don't really get attacked by enemies unless you're already down. Cats are a bit better off because the two cats that are currently in the game actually offer something pretty nice that sentinels don't, but they share every other problem with dogs.

It's absolutely baffling to me how loving garbage dogs are for a feature that DE put so much work into and that is such a pain to access compared to sentinels. I can only assume steve was at the helm of this one too.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Aug 22, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Digirat posted:

You could write a dictionary about other dumb poo poo in warframe so I'll just start with what happens to be at the front of my mind right now, which is dogs.

Also don't forget that your dog and or cat will look like absolute garbage because its genes are randomized. The process of getting a cat is a pain in the rear end. Did you finally do it? Expect your cat to look -anything- like those wild assholes you have to scan a million of to get one?
get the gently caress out of here.

This was my cat. Most of them will look this bad. So it's not bad enough that they're not as good as the sentinels while costing way, way more, but that they look awful too.

On the subject of sentinels; it was a huge issue for ages that one sentinel in particular felt basically necessary to play the game. Vacuum. You see, what it did was just automatically hoover up any items that dropped because without it items will happily just fall off maps and vanish forever. Or into out of bounds areas. Or, because the hit detection is really shoddy, you'll have to spend like five minutes walking back and forth to pick up the stuff you want. Shortly before I quit for the second time, they decided to remove vacuum's vacuum ability and turn it into a universal skill! Except it'd be weaker now. And cats and dogs still can't use it. Because everyone's favorite part of a game is running around a map looking for the item that dropped before the rest of the team leaves and forces them to miss an item they were hunting.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'm sorry but that cat owns.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Finally, THAT'S the game this abomination is from! I remembered a game with horrifying cat-dog hybrids but didn't remember it was from Warframe, I thought it was from some other space-y game with animals and gene fuckery

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Finally, THAT'S the game this abomination is from! I remembered a game with horrifying cat-dog hybrids but didn't remember it was from Warframe, I thought it was from some other space-y game with animals and gene fuckery

I didn't know wikihow made games.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Leavemywife posted:

I'm used to other RPGs where I'm making honest, tangible progress, so it's very different to me to not see that happening. I know I'm far better at fighting than I was at the beginning, which makes me feel good, but it's a very different kind of adjustment.

Yep, that's just what the game is about. The tangible progress is the trail of dead bosses you leave behind, and getting better at the fighting.

If that's the worst problem you have with the game then you're gonna be fine. And yes, Father Gascoigne is the boss I meant.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yes. You can't do that anymore though because DE Hates fun.

RyokoTK posted:

Yep, that's just what the game is about. The tangible progress is the trail of dead bosses you leave behind, and getting better at the fighting.

If that's the worst problem you have with the game then you're gonna be fine. And yes, Father Gascoigne is the boss I meant.

I think the game would have actually been better if Gascoigne, or a similar hunter styled enemy had been the first boss and they just didn't do the beast on the bridge? Because the beast boss kind of sucks. It's huge, your arena is super narrow like the Capra demon and its design is a clusterfuck of fur particles so you're righting the camera the whole fight and hoping the physics don't obscure the screaming rear end in a top hat's tells. It leaves a bad taste heading on into what is a far better boss fight to come.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I liked the missions that forced you to adapt when you lost a useful piece of kit.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Father Gascoigne was such a brick wall that I put the game down for three months. He's the second boss, the first if you skip Cleric Beast, and he's the first required boss. There was no getting past him until I "got" him.

I came back to it and the time apart meant I was better able to pick up what the game wanted me to understand about its controls and I got him. And more or less he taught me how to overcome the rest of the game.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

marshmallow creep posted:

Father Gascoigne was such a brick wall that I put the game down for three months. He's the second boss, the first if you skip Cleric Beast, and he's the first required boss. There was no getting past him until I "got" him.

I came back to it and the time apart meant I was better able to pick up what the game wanted me to understand about its controls and I got him. And more or less he taught me how to overcome the rest of the game.
Gascoigne is fun because the way to beat him is "roll forward under his attacks," but your first instinct is to try and stay out of range of the huge aggressive melee thing. Which just doesn't work. He's a great tutorial.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Also, fire is your friend.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
And parrying is your friend, too. There's a lot of ways to kill Gascoigne but they all involve gittin' gud at some aspect or another of the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Hahahaha I forgot about this. yeah I could say a lot of bad things about fashion for dogs/cats when everything else in the game just lets you slap whatever colors you want on it, but I'm not gonna because the fact that there's flat-faced cats in the game is hilarious to me. And they're just as ugly as in real life. I love flat-faced cats.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Digirat posted:

Dogs are so pathetically, offensively worthless for how expensive they are to get that I'm not convinced they aren't some kind of very unfunny joke from DE. So you'd think these things would at least be pretty helpful to justify the process and cost to get one, right? Haha no they do absolutely gently caress-all.

Perhaps the same could be said of all pets.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Nuebot posted:

I think the game would have actually been better if Gascoigne, or a similar hunter styled enemy had been the first boss and they just didn't do the beast on the bridge? Because the beast boss kind of sucks. It's huge, your arena is super narrow like the Capra demon and its design is a clusterfuck of fur particles so you're righting the camera the whole fight and hoping the physics don't obscure the screaming rear end in a top hat's tells. It leaves a bad taste heading on into what is a far better boss fight to come.

Is Gascione seriously that much of a brick wall for people? I had WAY more trouble with Cleric Beast (for the reasons you mention above) and BSB (because I'm a tremendous scrub). Gascione has like a million ways to hurt or distract him and I'm pretty sure I killed the poo poo out of him within five attempts.

The thing dragging down Bloodborne for me right now is the drat Blood Moon phase where all of the bell ringing women are spawning in new powerful versions of poo poo and you're really meant to haul rear end all the way through it but my playstyle has always been to take it REALLY exceptionally slow until I've made it to the boss a couple of times and can run it in my sleep. That just flat-out doesn't work there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Same, that area is stressful in a way that's not fun since it feels like you can't ever take your time and look around.

I played through that game extremely methodically my first time, both to find secrets and because the environments look so good, and did not enjoy having to charge past things

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The streets of Yharnam are so cool the developers thought it best to repeat them five-to-six times.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I beat him my first try with my first character but I've never been able to recreate that luck again. Dudes pushed my poo poo in every other time.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I got lucky my first ever fight against Father Gascione. I used up all my healing and bullets against his first form, but when he transformed he was on the stairs and couldn't/wouldn't either jump the railing or take the long way down to me. He just kept lunging impotently at me through the railing. I whipped him to death like a coward.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Len posted:

I beat him my first try with my first character but I've never been able to recreate that luck again. Dudes pushed my poo poo in every other time.
Roll forward, same thing with the BSB. I haven't even beaten Bloodborne but those two bosses are real simple. The Cleric Beast is also really easy for about three-quarters of its health bar, before it heads into the tougher pattern.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i played BB at a friend's house before i did a full run for myself so i already expected how to deal with gascoigne.

paarl was my white whale for a while until i got henryk's set.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I melted Paarl so fast I genuinely forgot he existed before you mentioned him just now.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

food court bailiff posted:

I melted Paarl so fast I genuinely forgot he existed before you mentioned him just now.
Paarl is super easy if you break a limb or his face right away and just keep breaking them, he'll never get up. If you actually have to engage with his nonsensical flailing around and tiny-rear end hitboxes, he's easily the worst boss in the game. See also: his Loran Chalice iteration. loving hate the guy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah, it took me like 3 playthroughs to actually find him at the level you're supposed to. It's a lot easier to get to him after beating Rom at which point you're way to strong for him to pose much of a challenge. The chalice version is hell, though. For a fun time try fighting him with the daggers.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i had a hard time figuring out how to exploit i-frames. my successful fight had me luck through all of his swipes and thundershocks

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've been trying to get the combat multiplier demon door in Fable Anniversary to open (get a x14 multiplier, basically don't get hit and hit a lot) and it isn't until I looked it up that the loving scaling was changed making it a nightmare compared to the original.

I don't think there's anything in here that they didn't make worse than the original. That's impressive.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
you know how you can tell how old a game is based on how its control scheme compares to common practices?

mercenaries 2's driving controls use face buttons to accelerate and brake/reverse :whitewater:

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Amygdala was somehow the fight that gave me a ton of trouble in Bloodborne, I don't know how anymore but the first big handful of times I fought them it just beat my rear end, they're nothing now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Simply Simon posted:

Loran Chalice iteration

How is babby formed?

How blood get bourned?