Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eames
May 9, 2009

Khorne posted:

Zen2 is pretty much:

Good post, I agree.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I'm going to regret this x570 board. I loving hate chipset fans and I can already hear the whining in my head. I haven't even assembled it yet.

Note that there are two different X570 variants, one with 11W and one with 15W TDP.

anandtech review posted:

Due to two different variations of the X570 chipset, one with a 15 W and another with an 11 W TDP, the extra power allows for more PCIe lanes, thus better GPU support overall. One example is the ASUS Pro WS X570-Ace model.
source

In some ways it feels like AMD could've easily launched this gen without new motherboards but they threw X570 in for marketing reasons.
PCIe 4.0 is "epic" for HPC/datacenter and nice to have for customers but how many people here *need* it now?
5.0 is already ratified and 6.0 was announced a few weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Something I don't see in any reviews yet, is if it's worth to "upgrade" from the previous Ryzen gen. I have a 2600x, any point in going up to a 3600x or 3700x? What are the gains "gen over gen"? I guess nothing to write home about, but still it's information that would be nice to have since we don't really have to change motherboard to upgrade :v:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I think Hardware Unboxed did a comparison on a fixed 4GHz speed, and IPC increase was somewhere in 12% for productivity workloads. I wouldn't upgrade your CPU, but I'm replacing my 1700 sometime soon. I had a pretty great sample, keeping 4 GHz stable at 1.42V, but 3700x looks like a great update for gaming.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Sanity check on this build I'm putting together for a friend. I'm in Denmark, so some parts are chosen because they're the cheapest I could find up here. Ignore the prices in this list, they're not relevant to what things cost up here.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($248.50 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B450M MORTAR Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($107.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Inno3D - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Twin X2 Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $435.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 04:32 EDT-0400

Aiming for 1080p gaming at framerates above 60FPS - he's looking at a 144Hz 1080p panel with G-sync, possibly up to 180Hz. I figure if he's aiming to turn his framerates that high, a 2070 isn't a complete waste of money, and it all fits within his budget. Haven't decided on a case yet.

PSU was chosen because there's a sale on that model right now, about 30% off. Is 550W enough for this build? RAM was picked because it was the cheapest 16GB DDR4 kit I could find. Surprising, given its speed, but I'm not gonna complain. GPU was the cheapest 2070 I could find.

Chose the motherboard because it's one of those ones that has CPU-less BIOS updating, so it can be updated to the latest BIOS (which does support the new Ryzen chips) without needing an older CPU in there first, and it's like.... half the price of the cheapest X570 board.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Check the 2060super reviews, you might be better off with one of those and saving a chunk of cash.

baromodo
Nov 14, 2012
Thanks for the advice given so far.

I have another query about Mini ITX small form-factor builds. Does anyone have a good case recommendation that will support air-cooling and doesn't cost the earth?

So far I've looked at the A4 Dan case, Sliger and a couple of other high end ones, all ridiculously expensive and/or unavailable. There's a Dan case knock-off you can order from Taiwan, but it doesn't really end up cheaper once you've paid shipping and for the gfx card riser cable. There's also a cheap acrylic case from Geeek, but it's flimsy. This Hammer H4 looks nice, but where can you even get one?

I like the "sandwich-style" cases where you can put the gfx card behind the motherboard, but I've not seen any good ones on offer that don't also cost big bux. These seem to offer really good cooling by design.

Alternatively, there's something like the Silverstone SG13, which cheap, just about small enough and supports both ATX/sfx PSUs. This seems only really geared towards water coolers however, because of the low CPU clearance height. Since I want to be able to transport my machine in a (big) backpack I don't want to be lugging around a water cooled system, it makes me nervous. I could put a low-profile Noctua air cooler in the SG13 but I'm worried it still wouldn't be cool enough for a gaming build.

I want to put a Ryzen 3600 and an RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 Ti (full length or mini) in a small, air-cooled, affordable case. Am I simply asking too much?

baromodo fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 8, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

baromodo posted:

I like the "sandwich-style" cases where you can put the gfx card behind the motherboard, but I've not seen any good ones on offer that don't also cost big bux. These seem to offer really good cooling by design.
Yeah, the riser cables in these cases add a lot to the cost apparently.

That Hammer case is resold under different brands internationally eg it's the Kolink Rocket in Europe, but the price seems too close to the A4 for what it offers.

But I think the 3600 and 3700X are low power enough that good low profile coolers might be adequate. You're right that there aren't many good options for cheap small cases though, most of the sub-£60 cases are around 20L instead.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 8, 2019

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Llamadeus posted:

If price is no object... the Sliger Cerberus is a well known small form factor mATX case, basically NCase sized but a bit taller.

https://www.sliger.com/products/cases/cerberus/

That's pretty much perfect, but the $250+ price is difficult for me to eat.

My brother dumped his beer-stained Corsair Air 540 case on me, so I can take my time to either find a sub $100 case that meets my criteria or twist my reasoning enough to justify that Cerberus.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

baromodo posted:

Thanks for the advice given so far.

I have another query about Mini ITX small form-factor builds. Does anyone have a good case recommendation that will support air-cooling and doesn't cost the earth?

So far I've looked at the A4 Dan case, Sliger and a couple of other high end ones, all ridiculously expensive and/or unavailable. There's a Dan case knock-off you can order from Taiwan, but it doesn't really end up cheaper once you've paid shipping and for the gfx card riser cable. There's also a cheap acrylic case from Geeek, but it's flimsy. This Hammer H4 looks nice, but where can you even get one?

Alternatively, there's something like the Silverstone SG13, which cheap, just about small enough and supports both ATX/sfx PSUs. This seems only really geared towards water coolers however, because of the low CPU clearance height. Since I want to be able to transport my machine in a (big) backpack I don't want to be lugging around a water cooled system, it makes me nervous. I could put a low-profile Noctua air cooler in the SG13 but I'm worried it still wouldn't be cool enough for a gaming build.

I want to put a Ryzen 3600 and an RTX 2060 or GTX 1660 Ti (full length or mini) in a small, air-cooled, affordable case. Am I simply asking too much?

There are a few others to look at, the Core 500 and Node 202 from Fractal, the Cougar QBX Kaze, and if you can wait the Lian Li TU150 looks good, as does the Cooler master H100, plus the Enthoo Evolv Shift Air might be worth a look.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

TorakFade posted:

Something I don't see in any reviews yet, is if it's worth to "upgrade" from the previous Ryzen gen. I have a 2600x, any point in going up to a 3600x or 3700x? What are the gains "gen over gen"? I guess nothing to write home about, but still it's information that would be nice to have since we don't really have to change motherboard to upgrade :v:

It's easy to get caught up in the hype but unless you're seriously pushing your CPU with rendering tasks or something you probably won't see a noticeable day-to-day difference in performance.

Realistically if you already have a 2600x you shouldn't 'need' to upgrade for several years to come...

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

MZ posted:

It's easy to get caught up in the hype but unless you're seriously pushing your CPU with rendering tasks or something you probably won't see a noticeable day-to-day difference in performance.

Realistically if you already have a 2600x you shouldn't 'need' to upgrade for several years to come...

True, and honestly I'm pretty happy with performance now - but that was being said of the Intel 4 core processors too, and today they have trouble keeping up... I wonder if with the new consoles being 8 cores, the "baseline" for games will become that in a couple of years. In which case I'll be able to just drop a 3700X in when that's the case :v:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hey goons! What modifications would you recommend to the mid-range AMD parametric build from PC Parts Picker? Would we be better off with an nVidia graphics card, etc.? I know the new AMD processor is the new hotness, but we're looking mid-range here.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Team - GX2 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.25 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $618.08
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 09:59 EDT-0400

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

TorakFade posted:

True, and honestly I'm pretty happy with performance now - but that was being said of the Intel 4 core processors too, and today they have trouble keeping up... I wonder if with the new consoles being 8 cores, the "baseline" for games will become that in a couple of years. In which case I'll be able to just drop a 3700X in when that's the case :v:

Sure, the next-gen consoles might lift the baseline but even when they launch I imagine it will be at least 2-3 years before games are seriously taking advantage of that so I'd definitely wait & see on that front. By that time you could drop in a cheap 3xxx (or even 4xxx?) if required.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

dwarf74 posted:

Hey goons! What modifications would you recommend to the mid-range AMD parametric build from PC Parts Picker? Would we be better off with an nVidia graphics card, etc.? I know the new AMD processor is the new hotness, but we're looking mid-range here.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *Gigabyte - B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($68.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Team - GX2 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.25 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Corsair - TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $618.08
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 09:59 EDT-0400

If I were building an mATX 1080p machine today I would build this (phone posting or I'd paste in the whole thing).

Part thoughts:

Motherboard - no particular reason for this change, I use and am comfortable with the Pro4 and am not familiar with the Aorus M. They both look serviceable so I wouldn't take this as a must-do change.

Ram - $5 gets you 3200 ram. I've also never heard of anyone using GeiL ram, though it shouldn't cause issues. Team has always worked fine for me, for another $5 you could get Corsair, which might have a better warranty process if that ever comes up, but ram isn't a high-failure part.

Storage: Stepped up to a 1TB SSD, 500 gigs goes fast and more SSD space is always nice. Left the 2tb HD as I assume you have use for bulk storage, but everything below $60 on pcpp is being sold by some random Amazon seller.

GPU: A 580 should be fine for 1080p, but it's getting a little old. The 1660 should have a longer life and uses like half as much power.

Left the same case, as I don't know a lot about them and assume you like the looks.

PSU: Switched to a fully modular one with a 10 year warranty for the same price.

It's $150 more than you have here, but you get twice as much SSD space and a much better GPU.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

ItBreathes posted:

If I were building an mATX 1080p machine today I would build this (phone posting or I'd paste in the whole thing).

Part thoughts:

Motherboard - no particular reason for this change, I use and am comfortable with the Pro4 and am not familiar with the Aorus M. They both look serviceable so I wouldn't take this as a must-do change.

Ram - $5 gets you 3200 ram. I've also never heard of anyone using GeiL ram, though it shouldn't cause issues. Team has always worked fine for me, for another $5 you could get Corsair, which might have a better warranty process if that ever comes up, but ram isn't a high-failure part.

Storage: Stepped up to a 1TB SSD, 500 gigs goes fast and more SSD space is always nice. Left the 2tb HD as I assume you have use for bulk storage, but everything below $60 on pcpp is being sold by some random Amazon seller.

GPU: A 580 should be fine for 1080p, but it's getting a little old. The 1660 should have a longer life and uses like half as much power.

Left the same case, as I don't know a lot about them and assume you like the looks.

PSU: Switched to a fully modular one with a 10 year warranty for the same price.

It's $150 more than you have here, but you get twice as much SSD space and a much better GPU.
Thanks for the detailed response. We'll consider all of this :)

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Has AMD addressed the out of stock issue at all? I haven't seen anything anywhere. I should have bought my 3700x when it was in stock on NewEgg yesterday morning :(

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

Haven't seen much talk about the Radeon RX 5700 in the thread. Is that because people are waiting on the supers to come out for comparison? I'm upgrading my pc, planning to get a ryzen 3600, B450 (with bios flash ability), and a 16GB 3200-C16 kit. But I'm having more trouble settling on the gpu. Looks like the RX 5700 benchmarks the same or better than the 2060 super, is $50 cheaper, but doesn't have ray tracing. Or, should I go a bit cheaper still and get a 1660 ti?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

whodatwhere posted:

Looks like the RX 5700 benchmarks the same or better than the 2060 super, is $50 cheaper, but doesn't have ray tracing. Or, should I go a bit cheaper still and get a 1660 ti?

Yeah, that's pretty much the sum of it right now. I would wait a month for drivers to stabilize before considering the 5700 though, AMD never, ever, ever has their drivers ready on launch and this one seems more rushed than usual. There could be more potential there, as we saw with the RX480 and its million variants.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

whodatwhere posted:

Haven't seen much talk about the Radeon RX 5700 in the thread. Is that because people are waiting on the supers to come out for comparison? I'm upgrading my pc, planning to get a ryzen 3600, B450 (with bios flash ability), and a 16GB 3200-C16 kit. But I'm having more trouble settling on the gpu. Looks like the RX 5700 benchmarks the same or better than the 2060 super, is $50 cheaper, but doesn't have ray tracing. Or, should I go a bit cheaper still and get a 1660 ti?

What's your monitor?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

whodatwhere posted:

The rumors are that the SUPER line essentially ruined AMD's plan, so much that AMD had to lower it's prices in hopes to steal some of the market back. But yes, wait for the official reviews/launch.

EDIT: Can I flash a ROG STRIX 470-i with a USB stick and no processor? (Please say yes)

Thom P. Tiers fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 8, 2019

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Is anyone actually interested in buying a blower model though? At minimum you pretty much need to wait a few weeks / a month to get a decent card that doesn't sound like a banshee wailing 100% of the time.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

BGrifter posted:

Likely only 1366x768. Highest would be 1920x1080. The 2200g had little difficulty staying around 60fps+ at high settings/1920x1080 in WoW so unless the 3200g represents a significant downgrade it should do the trick.

I don't think you'll see any significant gains in FPS going from the 2200G iGPU to a 3200G iGPU. Some prelim gaming benchmarks I saw only showed an increase of a few frames, but it was operating at lower temps so that's nice. Better route would be getting a discrete GPU on the cheap imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 8, 2019

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

fargom posted:

Is anyone actually interested in buying a blower model though? At minimum you pretty much need to wait a few weeks / a month to get a decent card that doesn't sound like a banshee wailing 100% of the time.

you can apparently shove a couple specific r290 AIB coolers on the blower cards but yeah probably better to wait for the non blower models

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1148113823137533952

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
So, after close to a decade of being stuck with laptops, it's finally starting to look like I might have a chance to move back to a desktop sometime soon-ish. I spent past 2-3 weeks re-learning how to PC, and ended up with a baseline* build, and I'd love if someone could take a look at it and tell me if this checks out, or have I made a terrible choice somewhere or forgot something important

*Calling it "baseline" because I'll still have to save up money for a few months and I expect things can change in the meantime. Hell, I know I'll be looking at Ryzen 5 3600 and RTX 2060 Super once I can confirm that I'll be splurge the extra $$$ those would cost me.

Here's what I have (not pictured: a 700W/1400VA UPS, and a case that isn't on PcPartPicker, likely because the manufacturer I chose is specific to my country):

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Black NVMe 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Toshiba - P300 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB GAMING OC PRO Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

whodatwhere
Aug 24, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

What's your monitor?

I have the Nixeus NX-EDG27S v2.
Thanks to the others for your responses as well, I will wait and see what the verdict is in the next couple weeks.

Good point about the blower too, would want to wait on that as well.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Want to upgrade from my i5-4670k from 2013. In the past I've upgraded every 3 years, but it hasn't seemed necessary with my current CPU so far. I got the 1070 in 2016 and left it at that. I could see myself with this Ryzen 3 for another 5 years in case that weighs into the advice.

- I'll be keeping the 1070 and I game at 1440p/165hz
- I pretty much only game and browse the web

Here are my thoughts and questions on the new components (big write up on last page was helpful):

CPU: Was thinking 3700X since I've never had the "7" level CPU before (just i5), but it could work in my budget now. I know that's a silly reason though, and since I plan to overclock to maximize value (not just to get the highest number) maybe the 3600 or 3600X would be fine. Since I don't upgrade as often, I also thought maybe the 3700X would be better.

Mobo: Is the X570 overkill? They're pretty expensive so I've only looked at the cheapest options for each line. Would getting a nicer X470 or B450 make more sense? It looks like the cheap X570s can overclock everything except maybe the 3900X? I don't need Wifi. My case has a front USB-C and the cheap X570s don't come with the correct header, but not a deal breaker. My only thought on the X570 is that it has the PCIe 4 which might be nice if I plan to get whatever new nvidia GPU comes out next year. Is that nonsense?

Cooler: I thought about getting into a custom loop just because that's pretty much what the case was designed for, but that's a steep price increase. It doesn't look like there's much headroom on the 3000 for overclocking anyway. I think the idea with the 360 is just that it will help fill things in, plus I'll need some fans for intake anyway and I think that's how it would be positioned in this case. I can get this one at a discount too.

Power Supply: From the wattage estimator I don't think I need a new PSU, but this one is also 6 years old. Any advice?

Ignore prices as I own most, I also have Microcenter pricing
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($183.76 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock - X570 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($158.90 @ B&H)
Storage: Intel - 320 Series 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($104.85 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($138.90 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - Spinpoint F3 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.55 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - Spinpoint F3 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($81.55 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Case: Lian-Li - PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case ($119.99 @ Adorama)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - G 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $1198.50
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 13:57 EDT-0400

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Anyone know when the 3700x and x570 mobos will pop up on amazon?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

SnatchRabbit posted:

Anyone know when the 3700x and x570 mobos will pop up on amazon?

The CPU's have been on amazon. They all sold out everywhere as far as I know. Assuming the same happened to the x570's. It would be nice to hear directly from AMD about stock.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

How do pc parts get sold out so quickly? Is there really that much demand or is the amount out for sale very low to begin with?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ughhhh posted:

How do pc parts get sold out so quickly? Is there really that much demand or is the amount out for sale very low to begin with?

Resellers.

People buy lots of CPUs and then resell them at markup while demand is high.

I remember cruising eBay and seeing people selling pre-ordered 2700x for a 35% markup before they released. Same with 9900Ks when they came out.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 8, 2019

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Thom P. Tiers posted:

EDIT: Can I flash a ROG STRIX 470-i with a USB stick and no processor? (Please say yes)

I asked the same in the AMD thread and apparently there are zero itx boards with cpu-less bios update.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Local computer shops are usually more than happy to flash your BIOS for $10-15. Some might even do it for free!

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I just bought a new laptop, my old laptop is running a 500GB SSD, and a 4TB platter drive, my new laptop has a 1TB M.2 and 2TB platter drive. I'm pretty sure the 4TB won't fit in the new laptop since it's a 15mm drive, and it seems most newer laptops, especially the super thin ones, only take 7mm or 9mm. I was thinking to keep the drive as a backup drive just to store files. Is there some sort of housing I can install it in that uses wifi or something so that it can be accessed by all of the computers in my house? I'm pretty sure my router doesn't have NAS (it's a Comcast gigabit router/modem)

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Waiting on most of these parts to show up in stock on Amazon since I get 5% cashback. Otherwise, how does this build look considering I already own the 2080, and game at 1440p 165hz, no productivity use to speak of? i have a budget of aroun $1500 for the core components.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X570 GAMING X ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Silicon Power - 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB Founders Edition Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define S2 Vision ATX Mid Tower Case ($202.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Platinum 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1001.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-08 15:40 EDT-0400

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Lungboy posted:

I asked the same in the AMD thread and apparently there are zero itx boards with cpu-less bios update.

Hrmmmm. Will the rog strix-i ever come manufactured with the newest updates? I'm building 100% new and would rather not take my 1600 out of the current build just to BIOS it.. if I could get a local shop to do it for that cheap it might be worth it though...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Hrmmmm. Will the rog strix-i ever come manufactured with the newest updates? I'm building 100% new and would rather not take my 1600 out of the current build just to BIOS it.. if I could get a local shop to do it for that cheap it might be worth it though...

Assuming they keep manufacturing them, yes the new ones should have an update bios, but it was a crapshoot if you got one with it or not at the Zen+ launch.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
hello, can anyone be so kind as to recommend a good Gaming Rig for the gamer who wants *extremely stable performance* but doesn't care so much about amazing 4k graphics but does like things in the less-than-ultimate-ultra graphics settings area. shooting for a $1250 max budget.

i guess anything this https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XG270HU-omidpx-FREESYNC-Widescreen/dp/B00VRCLHYS can handle

its 1440p and 144hz and I would like to shoot for high/very high (not max/ultra) settings if thats possible within the budget

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 8, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

hello, can anyone be so kind as to recommend a good Gaming Rig for the gamer who wants *extremely stable performance* but doesn't care so much about amazing 4k graphics but does like things in the less-than-ultimate-ultra graphics settings area. shooting for a $1250 max budget.

Resolution / refresh rate / is the monitor included in that budget?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
oh poo poo uhh i guess anything this https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XG270HU-omidpx-FREESYNC-Widescreen/dp/B00VRCLHYS can handle

its 1440p and 144hz

Snazzy Frocks fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
I want a cheap Classic WoW / FFXIV at low-medium quality @ 1920x1080 box, and I'm too lazy to build if I don't have to. Will this Dell box work well enough?

Inspiron 5675 Desktop ($510.00, refurb)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Processor (Quad Core, 3.1GHz, 2M cache,65W)
Windows 10 Home 64bit English
1TB 3.5inch SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
8GB (1x8GB) 2400MHz DDR4 UDIMM Non-ECC
AMD Radeon RX 560 with 2GB GDDR5