Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

TotalLossBrain posted:

What is up with that seat belt strap.

It's there as an extra shock.

Duh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Is that a cyclone fence post trailing arm?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Nuevo posted:

Yeah, I'm more interested in whatever the hell is going on on top of the diff. :psyduck:

Only thing I can think of is it's some kinda bump stop.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
i'm the bolt welded to the trailing arm.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Crustashio posted:

If you can call that "welded"

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
The thing on top of the diff has arms at angles bolted to it and then to boxes on the frame rails, it's probably to keep the pumpkin (and assoc axle tubes) from rotating back to front.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1b8_1473696178

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
.... What the gently caress ejected? Pulley? :stare:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Do they have a harmonic balancer? Kind of looked like it, making its escape. Really liked the way it kept rotating along the kerb.

Also I knew that was from Australia even before the guy started talking or reading the description. It just had semi-industrial-area bogantown written all over it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dannywilson posted:

.... What the gently caress ejected? Pulley? :stare:

Yeah, you can see it poo poo the belt a hair before one of the pulleys fucks off.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's just a top for big kids.

Or ones with money to burn.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Powershift posted:

Yeah, you can see it poo poo the belt a hair before one of the pulleys fucks off.

Back when I didn't know poo poo about gently caress, I had a water pump pulley and it's accouterments rapidly leave the engine compartment on an XJ at 70mph. That was... bad.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Nuevo posted:

Yeah, I'm more interested in whatever the hell is going on on top of the diff. :psyduck:

I bet putting that much heat into the diff housing changed the ring to pinion spacing. I doubt he checked. I doubt he drained the diff before doing that. I bet there's voids everywhere in that welding.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Been a while since I had something to contribute to this thread...

#5 intake runner on the C70 is cracked, probably from whoever did the PCV system last torquing it down wrong/too much.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Crustashio posted:

Im the no brakes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Memento posted:

Do they have a harmonic balancer? Kind of looked like it, making its escape. Really liked the way it kept rotating along the kerb.

The only thing I enjoyed more than it continuing to spin was the cameraman's reaction. :lol:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Harvested from reddit.

http://i.imgur.com/loSOiDo.gifv

:stare:

From what I can tell the cause hasn't made it to the internet yet but most people figure it's a propane tank that popped.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He's accelerating pretty hard. Wonder if a tank broke its moorings and knocked the valve off or something?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

xzzy posted:

From what I can tell the cause hasn't made it to the internet yet but most people figure it's a propane tank that popped.

It's just not the same without the red and white streamers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-nOPvXiIWQ&t=35s

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just came across an article by Matt Farah about Paul Walker's crash, and how old tires might have contributed to the incident: http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/5189/the-truth-behind-what-caused-paul-walkers-fatal-crash

Hopefully it doesn't surprise anyone that decade-old tires are super sketchy, but what I'm wondering is how bad they are. There's a pretty detailed paper here: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv20/07-0496-W.pdf but it has mostly to do with catastrophic failure and not reduced driving characteristics. FWIW: here's their results:

Has anyone came across a test where they drove on a track with old tires and then with new ones, ideally of the same model or at least brand and category? That'd be pretty interesting.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

xzzy posted:

Harvested from reddit.

Note 7 failures are becoming kind of ridiculous

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The VTEC kicked in.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

The VTEC kicked in, yo

Ftfy

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mobby_6kl posted:

Just came across an article by Matt Farah about Paul Walker's crash, and how old tires might have contributed to the incident: http://www.thedrive.com/opinion/5189/the-truth-behind-what-caused-paul-walkers-fatal-crash

Hopefully it doesn't surprise anyone that decade-old tires are super sketchy, but what I'm wondering is how bad they are. There's a pretty detailed paper here: http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv20/07-0496-W.pdf but it has mostly to do with catastrophic failure and not reduced driving characteristics. FWIW: here's their results:

Has anyone came across a test where they drove on a track with old tires and then with new ones, ideally of the same model or at least brand and category? That'd be pretty interesting.

The difference is so apparent to any of us that have time on race compound tires. Heat cycled ones grip until there is approximately zero all at once, no warning.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

xzzy posted:

Harvested from reddit.

Propane powered vehicle?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

xzzy posted:

Harvested from reddit.

It was a Tanaka airbag controlled by a Note 7

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Does anyone remember where this came from, or who might have a higher res version? I was thinking of getting an embroidered patch.

Anyway, content:

The 2-year old balljoint i just pulled out of my ls400. I wish I had recorded the sound this thing was making

I accidentally put a washer in the wrong place and cracked this transmission -> engine brace on the ae86 recently :(

a cool dude welded it up good as new for me though :unsmith:

Not fuckup related but this was his car parked outside his welding shop:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

Does anyone remember where this came from, or who might have a higher res version? I was thinking of getting an embroidered patch.

Murilee Martin. Some other guy sold some shirts and decals.

I doubt this email still works but give it a shot, his domain is murileemartin.com now:

quote:

But today I share this image with the world, and any fellow tech writer who wants the original vector artwork for their own publications should email me (murilee at jalopnik dot com) and I will email you the file.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Cool thank you

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

BlackMK4 posted:

The difference is so apparent to any of us that have time on race compound tires. Heat cycled ones grip until there is approximately zero all at once, no warning.

I don't think race compounds is the best comparison since they do stuff like oil out and go off after a year where as your average road tire is much harder and less temperamental to deal with.

Having said that my experience karting on old tires other people throw away is that the operating window becomes a lot smaller and you need to be smoother with the throttle and brake. Wouldn't surprise me if he eased it up to 160 and then slammed the brakes and was caught off guard by how quickly it gave up.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Lol already got the PSD from him

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh my god I want stickers of that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Me too.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Godholio posted:

Oh my god I want stickers of that.

:same:

Also that blue & yellow car up there is a grinder wheel and huge fuckoff supercharger away from being shiny and chrome on the fury road. I need that ratty shitbox in my life.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Propane powered vehicle?

If it was, then where did all the white smoke come from?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I'm still waiting on info for those subie transmission kill stickers. Who was the one who had access to them, Adiabatic?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

BloodBag posted:

:same:

Also that blue & yellow car up there

3rd gen Celica, I think they were designated A60. They're pretty good in a late 80s kind of bloated way.

Edit: or could be a Supra, they were essentially identical at the time.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
It's the Supra. Celica has sharper nose and different pop-up light assembly and bumper.

E: Technically is both. They were called the Toyota Celica Supra.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Puddin posted:

It's the Supra. Celica has sharper nose and different pop-up light assembly and bumper.

I had one of the 2.4l XT models and it was an awesome car to drive. Only drawback wad steel block and alloy head with a terrible fan setup caused it to overheat and warp heads in Aussie summertime.

E: Technically is both. They were called the Toyota Celica Supra.