Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
I had no idea they were rebranding. Not long ago I was actually thinking that the old idents had been around for a long time and were still really good. Oh well :(

Boo, this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

crispix posted:

I had no idea they were rebranding. Not long ago I was actually thinking that the old idents had been around for a long time and were still really good. Oh well :(

Boo, this.

In terms of modern day branding that C4 look had been around for an incredibly long time. BBC4 is about 10 years old so that's the next oldest apparently.

It's hilarious though because all of the marketing crap that goes with the rebrand talks about how this is supposed to remind viewers that C4 is edgy and cool and not afraid to take risks. However, that's not what C4 is now. It ain't the 80s Red Triangle phase anymore.

Edit: obviously everyone hated the last set of idents. OMG the logo is only on for a second. They were loving genius in the end. Can't see it with these.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As long as they keep the cool as hell structure up outside their London premises, it's all good.

(the different pieces are set in different depths, so as you walk past the shapes come together and make up the logo from one specific angle)

chazzared
Dec 4, 2006
Anyone else watching The Naked Choir?

It's a little bit X-Factor but overall it's quite enjoyable.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I always liked the old Channel 4 racing logo where they used the 4 as a bridle.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Am I just being an old crotchty sod at 28 for saying I liked it when I could actauly see the Channel 4 logo?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

chazzared posted:

Anyone else watching The Naked Choir?

It's a little bit X-Factor but overall it's quite enjoyable.
It should be illegal to use 'naked' in a TV series title unless it involved actual gratuitous nudity. And none of this 'naked but blurred' malarky (I'm looking at you Discovery).

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Am I just being an old crotchty sod at 28 for saying I liked it when I could actauly see the Channel 4 logo?

Nah, this was the best.

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
Surely Ian's big plastic tube is cheating, its not free standing.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat
Neither was Nadiyas, it was basically built on a plastic scaffold. Did they say it had to be free standing? Thought they just said 3D.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

They said nothing about free-standing, just 3d. IIRC I saw Tamal doing some scaffolding with cocktail sticks.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
See, if they just used the blocks like they have in their Break Bumpers like they are doing with The Simpsons this would be a brilliant Ident Package.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

ConanThe3rd posted:

See, if they just used the blocks like they have in their Break Bumpers like they are doing with The Simpsons this would be a brilliant Ident Package.

Yeah, they are cool. But they are counting on people knowing what the blocks are when they are 20+ years old and people are around now that haven't seen them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Even if Joe Netflix doesn't have a working knowledge of the channel four logo it's far more an identity than Gem Diodes, excavations and bizarre spider dancers.

Hell [Adult Swim] has their logo on their bizarre nonsense so at least you know you are where you need to be to watch your Rick and Morty.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

thehustler posted:

It's hilarious though because all of the marketing crap that goes with the rebrand talks about how this is supposed to remind viewers that C4 is edgy and cool and not afraid to take risks. However, that's not what C4 is now. It ain't the 80s Red Triangle phase anymore.

Have they done anything in the last few years that could be described as original/a big risk? I'd agree that the first things that come to my mind when I think of Channel 4's output these days don't chime with "edgy/cool/risky". :/

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Black Mirror, probably.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What was the one where we watched people watching people have sex.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr. Squishy posted:

What was the one where we watched people watching people have sex.

Sex Box

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Rest in pies, Flora.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

crispix posted:

Have they done anything in the last few years that could be described as original/a big risk? I'd agree that the first things that come to my mind when I think of Channel 4's output these days don't chime with "edgy/cool/risky". :/
I think their big budget drama stuff is pretty risky given the subject matter and style of them. Say what you want about their quality, but Southcliffe, Utopia and Red Riding are all distinctive when placed in the British TV landscape, and I'm pretty sure none of them attained the sort of reach that Broadchurch or The Missing did despite having much bigger names in their casts.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

crispix posted:

I don't think any channel has taken big risks with shows for a while, could you imagine BBC making a show like The Young Ones or Bottom today? I can't.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Judge Tesla posted:

I don't think any channel has taken big risks with shows for a while, could you imagine BBC making a show like The Young Ones or Bottom today? I can't.

I would argue that Mrs Browns Boys is a risk that they took, but I won't because I think it's poo poo.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

This on bbc4 is a pretty bloody good watch, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b012w66t , still on live now but i dare say you can go from the top on iplayer.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Pottering about on iPlayer last night, on a whim I decided to watch Asian Provocateur on BBC3, Romesh Ranganathan's new show. And it was actually pretty good - the premise is that Romesh, whose parents came from Sri Lanka, feels he is a "coconut" (brown on the outside, white on the inside) and is completely disconnected from his culture. So he basically does a bit of a travel documentary and goes around Sri Lanka seeing weird stuff. Romesh is very funny, seemingly constantly pissed off for being asked to do anything, but there's a bit of genuine pathos in Romesh's sadness in having his own culture be so alien to him.

It's only 30 mins an episode too, so I'd say it's worth checking out.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I quite liked that episode of Hunted. I got kind of annoyed at the two cycling blokes early on because it seemed they'd just hosed themselves before they'd even started and everything else they did seemed really good. And then they took so long getting to the caravan the hunters had been there and hosed off already. I liked that, and I was half hoping they'd just stay there and be left in peace all month.

And also the 30 seconds to each of the two who split up just to go "hey, the sensible one is having a great time, the paranoid one is getting even worse ok bye" made me laugh.

There's a few things I wish someone would do on that because I'd like to see how the hunters would react. One, have a bunker somewhere all stocked up and just gently caress off there for a month. Two, double back to their own house after the hunters have been and stay there all month. Three, fake their own death. Also one of the fugitives should have had an identical twin or something. Or a load of decoys.

They should do a second series where secretly the fugitives have a great big support network and the whole programme is switched to loving about with the hunters.That'd be funny.

One thing I also really like is I never feel too sorry for when someone gets caught because most of the time the hunters get all jazzed up about succeeding, so at least somebody is always doing well.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
New episode of HiGNFY was really odd - They edited it in a strange way to pretty much remove any of Clarksons reactions to anyone mentioning his "event" which made the bloke from Pointless look like a right cock (well he sort of is anyway) - then right at the end there was a little bit with Hislop where it was really obvious where they cut off the end of one of Clarkson's pre written lines to make it look like Hislop interrupted him, then inserted another Hislop line where he was halfway through a sentance then just cut away again.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Yeah, HIGNIFY was really wierd. Wonder if it'll be any better in HIGABMNFY, or if there'll just be more wierd cuts.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I have to say that Count Buckules' new podcast hasn't really done it for me so far. I'm hoping he pulls it out of the bag though.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The comedy memoir with Jimmy Ski-Holiday was amazing. At least until the sausages bit.

Edit: I also liked most of the the rest though. It's not spectacular, just nice to hear rambling about stuff again.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

French TV really, but C4 picked it up. Resistance - 6 episode miniseries is well worth a watch.
Hard to say it's enjoyable because the subject matter's so relentlessly grim. Somehow despite the high body count they still manage to make each seem a fully realised character before the inevitable happens. Mostly avoids the war drama cliches, although I cringed when the americans turned up in the final scene.
Just the right amount of gallows humour. And Paris (and the Parisians) are always looks so beautiful on screen.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Just started watching the Being Human reruns on iPlayer, and it really bothers me that the vampire is wearing long sleeves and a ring at work, whilst the werewolf has a watch on.

Infection Control, motherfuckers, Infection Control.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Final episode of This is England tonight.

Hope you're all ready to sob.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
So Strictly Results show is worth watching for the Rod Stewart song where all the female dancers do a Raquel Welch homage. Cripes. Talk about Dad service.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Well.

TiE90 That wasn't as dark as I expected. Actually an oddly happy ending (except for Combo, obviously.)

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
I'm gonna miss This is England, the ending made me sad with regards to Combo's outcome, I thought Milky would have a change of heart but it appears not

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Well, it was pretty much the perfect ending for me.

I'm really glad the didn't go down the route of killing off loads of characters. I like how they left Combo's apparent murder open to interpretation .

Woody high fivein' the priest was a series highlight

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Mr Beens posted:

New episode of HiGNFY was really odd - They edited it in a strange way to pretty much remove any of Clarksons reactions to anyone mentioning his "event" which made the bloke from Pointless look like a right cock (well he sort of is anyway) - then right at the end there was a little bit with Hislop where it was really obvious where they cut off the end of one of Clarkson's pre written lines to make it look like Hislop interrupted him, then inserted another Hislop line where he was halfway through a sentance then just cut away again.

How dare you badmouth Richard!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Taear posted:

How dare you badmouth Richard!

He gets on my nerves. He comes across as pompous and smug on everything. Lanky tosser.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Richard Osman was a producer for years before presenting Pointless, maybe it's a professional slight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mr Beens posted:

I wasn't surprised at how much Osman was ripping into Clarkson. I was surprised how little everyone else was.