Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

JAMOOOL posted:

are they actually shipping to the US now?

They have been for a while far as I know. I got a record from the UK a few weeks back and I have a blu-ray coming from there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The deluxe 3x vinyl version of Give Up by The Postal Service seems to have been repressed if anyone cares. Subpop has it up and I have received a copy. https://megamart.subpop.com/collections/the-postal-service/products/the-postal-service_give-up-deluxe-edition

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Woke up and immediately ordered up a copy of Cardiacs' The Seaside. Feelin' pretty good. :slick:

EDIT: Also, totally didn't know that the RSD list was already up: https://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/580

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 7, 2021

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nothing like that sweet relief of knowing there's nothing you'd get in a line for.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

there's two things I kinda want and one unknown that i need to find out more about.

light year but that's ok, gotta pay for a possible move very soon so I'll be rebuilding some stashed away money instead.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

EDIT: Also, totally didn't know that the RSD list was already up: https://recordstoreday.com/PromotionalEvent/580

A few things I would bite on, although I fear if I acquired that Sisters of Mercy thing I would only be enticed to drop the silly dollars on the large box set editions for the two relevant Sisters albums.

In other news, I chatted up the guy that runs a local here about repair/maintenance on my turntable. After a brief description of the intermittent problems I have, he pretty much said "yeah, you're hosed because it's impossible to find parts for that model anymore" so I guess I'm in the market for a new turntable soon. :[

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

phosdex posted:

The deluxe 3x vinyl version of Give Up by The Postal Service seems to have been repressed if anyone cares. Subpop has it up and I have received a copy. https://megamart.subpop.com/collections/the-postal-service/products/the-postal-service_give-up-deluxe-edition

I've already got a copy but that's a great great price, nice to see a non-gouging box set reissue. Very nice packaging and sound quality on this one.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Of course I'm in the bag for that Residents bullshit, but it includes 9 minutes pulled from the legendary Rusty Coathangers for the Doctor tape, which has never been released in any official capacity (outside of bootlegs culled from dumpster diving, the story goes) for 50+ years, and that's rad as hell.

Gonna need those Prospect Hummer and Jihad Jerry and the Evildoers reissues, too.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Wanna get all three of those Mochilla Timeless reissues since I missed the original pressings from 10 years ago or so, especially the Arthur Verocai. Otherwise... eh. Maybe the KMD or Slum Village anniversary reissues since I don't have either of those on wax. I have no idea what's so special about the Thelonious Monk Palo Alto "Custodian's Mix" compared to what was released last year.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

caligulamprey posted:

Woke up and immediately ordered up a copy of Cardiacs' The Seaside. Feelin' pretty good. :slick:

I'm interested in that Elton John album. I recognize the titular song from my youth (when I...acquired...a metric shitton of Elton demos, live bootlegs, etc. because of the wild new internet frontier), but not sure I know any of the others from the tracklisting.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
ordered this today

https://twitter.com/danbriggsx/status/1379477393883160576?s=20

dan briggs (bassist of Between the Buried and Me, Trioscapes, Nova Collective, Nightmare Scenario, and now this!) making jazz fusion, sounds pretty neat!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

phosdex posted:

hell yeah picking this up. was thinking of getting a bunch of other music i want from sub pop but they're sold out of a lot of vinyl, hope they do more reprints soon (sleater kinney's the woods plz)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

They really want people to go for that 3" record player and no one cares.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

HEY!

Does anyone know what the inside sleeve of the Blue Monday single looks like? Is it just a solid color or does it have multi-colored edges? It's surprisingly difficult to find a picture of just the inside sleeve.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

They really want people to go for that 3" record player and no one cares.

I wonder if my local shop will drag out the display for that thing again, had its own plexiglass covered pedestal and everything. I don't go out of my way to collect full size singles, why would I want a bespoke novelty version of one? Only thing worse would be to get into collecting Hit Clips.

Annnnnnnd gently caress there is a record I want, looks like it's time to get up at 5:30 again dammit. The last Dutch Psych compilation record was pretty cool, and my store only had like two copies, so I'd better move for volume 2. At least I was able to talk myself out of the few maybes I had on the list.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

caligulamprey posted:

Somebody else who likes Cardiacs?!

This is a dream come true. Dirty Boy requires being blasted as loud as your system will go.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

I wonder if my local shop will drag out the display for that thing again, had its own plexiglass covered pedestal and everything. I don't go out of my way to collect full size singles, why would I want a bespoke novelty version of one? Only thing worse would be to get into collecting Hit Clips.

Annnnnnnd gently caress there is a record I want, looks like it's time to get up at 5:30 again dammit. The last Dutch Psych compilation record was pretty cool, and my store only had like two copies, so I'd better move for volume 2. At least I was able to talk myself out of the few maybes I had on the list.

It's not a novelty release at all and it's one of the greatest singles ever recorded.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

CPL593H posted:

HEY!

Does anyone know what the inside sleeve of the Blue Monday single looks like? Is it just a solid color or does it have multi-colored edges? It's surprisingly difficult to find a picture of just the inside sleeve.

Mine is just solid silver/grey

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

CPL593H posted:

It's not a novelty release at all and it's one of the greatest singles ever recorded.

Buh? I was talking about the stupid 3 inch record player...

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Buh? I was talking about the stupid 3 inch record player...

I will only listen to 3" single version of Blue Monday.

I didn't notice that you quoted me somehow. Anyway that's kind of hilarious that they have one of those tiny Crosleys under a loving glass box. I'm glad you were talking about the stupid mini records and not Blue Monday because Jesus Christ would that have been a weapons grade poo poo take.

wa27 posted:

Mine is just solid silver/grey

Thanks.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Mine is black

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

For what it's worth Wikipedia says the original packaging had a silver sleeve, too.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
I saw a grip of stuff I wanted from RSD this year and then realized I was looking at the UK releases. :argh:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

bigman.50grand posted:

I saw a grip of stuff I wanted from RSD this year and then realized I was looking at the UK releases. :argh:

oh man, that wu lyf repress is my everything right now. I am going to have to do...things to get that (or two).

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I’d kind of like those soundtracks to Eternal Sunshine and Life Aquatic, but not enough to go out and deal with a rush of people.

Also extremely here for Tatu and the Vitamin String Quartet plays My Chemical Romance.

Going back, I did pick up the Mdou Moctar album but not the phone version. Also ordered Closer (post-hardcore/emo band I’ve been digging and Ritualz - †‡† because that’s the kind of nonsense I can get behind. Also gave in to thread pressure and picked up Kimono My House.

E: oh gently caress that wu lyf reissue being UK only sucks. And now I kind of want those Oneohtrix Point Never releases too...

Schremp Howard fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 8, 2021

Mystery Steve
Nov 9, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm liking the look of that Arthur Verocai RP.
And the the Weird Al, beatbin the brat 3".

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Weird Al box set update: This slipmat is perfect.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
That's my turntable mat. What else would I use?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I enjoy that they incorporated his classic 80s look into it as well.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Weird Al box set update: This slipmat is perfect.

Wait a minute. Did you buy the loving accordion boxset?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

Wait a minute. Did you buy the loving accordion boxset?
Best friend did. It was too cool not to post.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

caligulamprey posted:

Does it have Peter and the Wolf?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

caligulamprey posted:

Does it have Christmas at Ground Zero and Another one Rides the Bus?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
https://theavalanchesstore.com/

Since I Left You is getting a 4xLP re-release, finally. It's...expensive as gently caress, though. I'm guessing they finally cleared all the samples and the cost is commensurate to that.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
If you're a fan of the thread's favorite record genre to collect, it looks like Ship to Shore discounted the soundtrack to Lagrange Point:
https://shiptoshoremedia.com/collections/featured/products/lagrange-point-original-video-game-soundtrack-lp

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Does it have Peter and the Wolf?

No.

Turbinosamente posted:

Does it have Christmas at Ground Zero and Another one Rides the Bus?

Yes and yes, unless you mean the Another One EP, in which case yes and no.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hexwren posted:

Yes and yes, unless you mean the Another One EP, in which case yes and no.

I was thinking the songs, as I've only ever seen them on compliation CDs. As a kid I figured that post 9/11 no would ever play/acknowledge the existence of Christmas at Ground Zero ever again and I legit forgot that Another One was part of his first or possibly second EP.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Turbinosamente posted:

I was thinking the songs, as I've only ever seen them on compliation CDs. As a kid I figured that post 9/11 no would ever play/acknowledge the existence of Christmas at Ground Zero ever again and I legit forgot that Another One was part of his first or possibly second EP.

Another one rides the bus is on his self titled album and Christmas at ground zero is on Polka Party.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
So there’s that story that The Knack played Weird Al’s college in the 70s and it helped inspire him to go on to a career in music. Maybe I’m completely misremembering it, but I think it was kind of a power pop version of that famous Sex Pistols concert where there a bunch of kids in the audience who would go on to start famous bands, etc. or maybe it was just weird al. But I’ve always thought there was an alternate reality where instead of The Knack playing it was a band like X or the germs or something like that who inspired weird al, and he would go on to define the genre of subversive, underground parody songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Alas I am owned, my knowledge of early Weird Al is pretty terrible and mostly limited to the In 3D album, because Nature Trail to Hell is one of my favorite songs for no good reason.