Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Ripoff posted:

Same, I love looking at people’s carts in big-box stores and seeing what fresh hell they’re inviting upon themselves. I only hope they see me carrying PVC piping and 2x4s, and think “oh you sorry dumb bastard” at me, too.

There aren’t many problems that can’t be solved by PVC and 2x4s, if you don’t care how it looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

High Lord Elbow posted:

There aren’t many problems that can’t be solved by PVC and 2x4s, if you don’t care how it looks.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DIY › Crappy Construction Tales: solving problems with 2x4s and PVC

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ripoff posted:

Same, I love looking at people’s carts in big-box stores and seeing what fresh hell they’re inviting upon themselves. I only hope they see me carrying PVC piping and 2x4s, and think “oh you sorry dumb bastard” at me, too.

I remember a goon post about checking out at a Walmart at 11:30 at night with a plunger, assorted cheap towels, and a twelve pack of beer. Cashier looked at the cart and said "you must be having a hell of a night."

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

High Lord Elbow posted:

The Holy Trinity: 2x4s, PVC, and Duct Tape

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I remember a goon post about checking out at a Walmart at 11:30 at night with a plunger, assorted cheap towels, and a twelve pack of beer. Cashier looked at the cart and said "you must be having a hell of a night."

A friend once got disciplined when he was a cashier and some people bought something like two bottles of wine, some food or whatever and a bottle of lube and he said "big weekend planned eh?" to them and they complained.

Anyway I had a really awkward conversation in a hardware shop when buying a rake which was apparently "a really good model" or something because a) I know nothing about rakes let alone about rake centric small talk and b) as soon as I opened my mouth it was immediately obvious that I was drunk at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
"Hey, so we got all the drywall off in your office and it turns out there's no headers above the windows or doors."

I wonder when I'm going to regret not just knocking the whole thing down and starting over with a newer, larger space. :homebrew:

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

as soon as I opened my mouth it was immediately obvious that I was drunk at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon

While buying a rake. Shame.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

High Lord Elbow posted:

How else would you buy a rake

Anyhow, if we're doing rakechat, this is the best thing ever, no joke. Borrowed one from a friend, tried to steal it, he demanded its return, so I went and bought two, and while I was out buying my two, he was buying himself a second as well. drat fine rake: THE MAINTAINER

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
oh man if we're gonna do rake chat i have to share my favorite video/method for raking leaves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnkktN3FvAg

it's a pretty good system if you dont want to power tool it

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I picked up a few of these leaf chutes and a couple pairs of these hand scoop things and they make short work of our leaves. We rake about 30 bags worth every fall, and these tools cut the time in at least half.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaf-Easy-Plastic-Leaf-and-Lawn-Chute-LELLCP/202491987
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bully-Tools-12-5-in-Poly-Leaf-Scoop-1000/301266771

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

moist turtleneck posted:

oh man if we're gonna do rake chat i have to share my favorite video/method for raking leaves

I trust him because he wears his cell phone on a belt clip.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

moist turtleneck posted:

hhhhhhwhaddya do with tha leaves

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

I closed the video in horror once i realized we was putting leaves in a trash bag to be taken to the dump. What the gently caress lol?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lol I didn't realize that

I put mine in bags as extra material for my compost heap when it gets out of balance with green things

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Enos Cabell posted:

I picked up a few of these leaf chutes and a couple pairs of these hand scoop things and they make short work of our leaves. We rake about 30 bags worth every fall, and these tools cut the time in at least half.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaf-Easy-Plastic-Leaf-and-Lawn-Chute-LELLCP/202491987
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bully-Tools-12-5-in-Poly-Leaf-Scoop-1000/301266771

Ok so you save time on getting the leaves, but how much time do you lose wearing those big leaf scoops and pretending to be a bear?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

High Lord Elbow posted:

Don't rakeshame plz

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I mow my leaves as God intended.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Ashcans posted:

Ok so you save time on getting the leaves, but how much time do you lose wearing those big leaf scoops and pretending to be a bear?

24 hours per day.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Chasing my dog around the yard with huge rear end bear claws on my hands is the highlight of the whole process.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Anyway I had a really awkward conversation in a hardware shop when buying a rake which was apparently "a really good model" or something because a) I know nothing about rakes let alone about rake centric small talk and b) as soon as I opened my mouth it was immediately obvious that I was drunk at 4pm on a Saturday afternoon

As someone who worked in a hardware store as a teen, trust me, they're used to people that smell like alcohol. Even the contractors that are in there at 7:30 in the morning; they're either sweating it out from the night before, or had a 'pick me up' that morning, or both.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Slanderer posted:

I closed the video in horror once i realized we was putting leaves in a trash bag to be taken to the dump. What the gently caress lol?

probably lives with an HOA that forbids burning them or composting them or something stupid like that, and also has no municipal yard waste recycling pick up or something

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even in areas that have pickup, it’s really easy to fill a bin by trimming one tree, and those bins aren’t always picked up weekly.

God forbid a household own more than one tree.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

How else would you buy a rake

Anyhow, if we're doing rakechat, this is the best thing ever, no joke. Borrowed one from a friend, tried to steal it, he demanded its return, so I went and bought two, and while I was out buying my two, he was buying himself a second as well. drat fine rake: THE MAINTAINER

It looks like a wire head massager (that's good and I like it)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

peanut posted:

It looks like a wire head massager (that's good and I like it)

It's actually a pretty amazing rake. It'll do all the normal stuff, but it's also awesome for more annoying tasks, like sweeping gravel out of grass or rake a yard full of sticks. And it even works as a pitch fork when loading said sticks into a bin! Smooths loose material well for landscaping, like mulch or soil. Even works fantastic for catching debris up off the bottom of my little 3x6 patio pond.

Like, I have a leaf rake for yard cleanup and a bow rake for gravel and a landscaping rake for mulch and a pitchfork for dumping grass clippings on the burn pit...and I ignore them all and just use this one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slanderer posted:

You buy municipal/township yard waste stickers at a local hardware/grocery store. You simply pile up the stickered bags for pick-up and the city sends around a collection truck for just yard-waste.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Slanderer posted:

I'm incredibly lazy and mow my own leaves but I think leaves are the best mulch so in leaf raking season I steal other people's bags of leaves that they have set out for the city to pick up and get unlimited free mulch and have not yet had a dead possum be in one of those bags off the street.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Platystemon posted:

Even in areas that have pickup, it’s really easy to fill a bin by trimming one tree, and those bins aren’t always picked up weekly.

God forbid a household own more than one tree.

That is one nice thing about our neighborhood. $35 a year for yard waste cleanup and every Monday they pick up everything in all of our yard waste bins that have a sticker (which is free at city hall!) we have 4 right now and I’m getting more. They also pick up piles of sticks that have been bundled with “sturdy natural twine”

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

We can basically put out any number of those paper leaf bags for collection, I've seen neighbors with 10 or 12 no problem. You can also put out branches as long as you bundle them with string and they're below a certain diameter.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I have unlimited burn piles

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

or be like my neighbors and just obsessively leaf blow everything into the street

at 6 am

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I just pile branches by the street and the city sends a truck around to pick them up. Gotta bag small stuff like leaves, and they are very picky about chopped wood though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

You buy municipal/township yard waste stickers at a local hardware/grocery store. You simply pile up the stickered bags for pick-up and the city sends around a collection truck for just yard-waste.

You've never moved out of you home town have you?

This is so goddamn far from how most places work, and such a specific thing you are suggesting here.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I'm incredibly lazy and mow my own leaves but I think leaves are the best mulch so in leaf raking season I steal other people's bags of leaves that they have set out for the city to pick up and get unlimited free mulch and have not yet had a dead possum be in one of those bags off the street.

I offered to do my neighbors yard this year (and of course they agreed) so I could get a bigger compost pile going.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Platystemon posted:

[yard waste] bins aren’t always picked up weekly.

Mine (though unlimited and 'free'), only comes once a month. By that time, the rain and/or bagged crap has soaked through the bottom of the bag, and I end up creating a big mess. Most of the time, I just drag it on a tarp/cart into the woods.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Well in crappy plumbing tales, there was the time at the previous basement suite I rented when the sewage got clogged at like 11pm. The landlords (who lived upstairs) were really good about it and called a plumber right away. Plumber came over, stuck an auger down and tried to clear it out. He hit an obstruction, but kept pushing and eventually got through.

Only it turned out that what had happened is that the sewage line connected to the line from the basement suite next door with a T-junction when it should have been a Y, so instead of the auger going on to the (blocked) main line, it went straight up into the next door bathroom. The obstruction was the side of their toilet.

This was by now 1am, so the neighbour groggily stumbled out of bed to see what the weird noise was coming from her bathroom, and turned on the light to find an alien snake thing flailing out the side of her toilet.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Motronic posted:

You've never moved out of you home town have you?

This is so goddamn far from how most places work, and such a specific thing you are suggesting here.

I offered to do my neighbors yard this year (and of course they agreed) so I could get a bigger compost pile going.

Nope I grew up with "burn your leaves except Sundays"

I never saw this until I moved to the West Suburbs outside of Chicago. Most of the places here either have stickers or large paper (or specific green plastic) bags you purchase on an as needed basis depending on town/township.

I don't really care since I get my lawn care done and they just mulch up the leaves in the fall.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=HNiU_1562350701

eh, the rebar will hold it together :shrug:

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I believe there's a colloquial term in Mainland China that translates to "tofu apartment" (as in, your apartment building was made of tofu).

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Enos Cabell posted:

Chasing my dog around the yard with huge rear end bear claws on my hands is the highlight of the whole process.

My parent's dog absolutely loves being scratched with those giant claws.

So much so that it becomes almost impossible to actually do any gardening until he decided he's had enough scritches.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I believe there's a colloquial term in Mainland China that translates to "tofu apartment" (as in, your apartment building was made of tofu).

are those usual in actual dwellings or just in the ghost cities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

This is actually a game, who can line up three items and get the strangest look from the cashier.

Winning move: home pregnancy test, box of latex gloves, pack of wire coathangers.