Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

VitalSigns posted:

I agree the supreme court should be removed from power for ignoring laws they find inconvenient, Shelby County was the essence of strongman rule

Which part of the Shelby Country reasoning is not based on a widely accepted interpretation of the law as to call it "strongman rule" in your opinion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

Which part of the Shelby Country reasoning is not based on a widely accepted interpretation of the law as to call it "strongman rule" in your opinion?

What about it was "widely accepted interpretation" of the law?

It was a purely partisan decision that ignored the language of the constitution and invented a questionable state's right to equal treatment, there was no broad legal consensus for that ruling.

The senate reauthorized the VRA 99-0 under a republican president, there was broad legal consensus behind the law and overturning it was a reaction to Republican election losses and their fear of an approaching demographic irrelevancy of their party

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

VitalSigns posted:

What about it was "widely accepted interpretation" of the law?

It was a purely partisan decision that ignored the language of the constitution and invented a questionable state's right to equal treatment, there was no broad legal consensus for that ruling.

The senate reauthorized the VRA 99-0 under a republican president, there was broad legal consensus behind the law and overturning it was a reaction to Republican election losses and their fear of an approaching demographic irrelevancy of their party

Shelby is a great case because it shows even if you amend the constitution itself the SCOTUS will be so partisian and political as to ignore it anyway on the flimisest of grounds. Vote tho.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

GaussianCopula posted:

Shelby county was based on the notion that laws impacting voting rights need an "expiration date" or some means other than Congress itself for historically racist jurisdictions to prove that they've "un-racisted" themselves. The Court had no citations in support of these propositions, because none exist.

Furthermore, the position is in fact contradictory to the Constitution. Although federalism normally gives states broad leeway in how they conduct their internal affairs, Article 1, Section 4, Clause 1 states clearly that "The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations." As for the equal protection argument, it is a maxim of conflict of laws that the specific law controls the general, and the later enactment controls the earlier, and I'm pretty sure the 15th amendment came later than the 14th and deals specifically with minority elections. Finally, the last line of the 15th amendment reads "Congress shall have the power to enforce this amendment with appropriate legislation," and the Supreme Court has just substituted its own judgment for Congress's on what legislation is appropriate.

Is that enough to start with?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
https://twitter.com/DouglasKBlair/s...umber%3D11pti25

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Evil Fluffy posted:

I can't believe Republicans are doing the exact thing that we've said for years they'd do the second that Roe was overturned.

As soon as this is challenged in court it's going to get fast-tracked to the SCOTUS so that they can rule "yes actually a fetus is a person" and then the US will have a de-facto nationwide ban on abortion.

That bill's written with such a bad understanding of reproduction as a biological process that it would make most forms of contraceptive that aren't condoms arguably murder.

Also, in a sane world, this would immediately see it stricken on 1A grounds:

quote:

Section 2. Acknowledging the sanctity of innocent human life, created in the image
11 of God, which should be equally protected from fertilization to natural death, the legislature
12 hereby declares that the purpose of this Act is to:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

This is a dangerous thing, and I don't say that in the decorum sense of the argument, because I believe protests of this nature are undoubtedly justified. I think it's absolutely shameful that it's come to this. It is not right that people protest outside a judge's home to attempt to influence a decision; however, it is far, far more wrong for a single judge's decision to abridge the human rights of hundreds of millions of people without further recourse. This is a symptom of how broken the system is.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Counterpoint, it is good and right that people protest unjust decisions that will cause untold harm and suffering.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

PT6A posted:

This is a dangerous thing, and I don't say that in the decorum sense of the argument, because I believe protests of this nature are undoubtedly justified. I think it's absolutely shameful that it's come to this. It is not right that people protest outside a judge's home to attempt to influence a decision; however, it is far, far more wrong for a single judge's decision to abridge the human rights of hundreds of millions of people without further recourse. This is a symptom of how broken the system is.

Actually protesting a lovely judge's horrible work is great and 100% should be encouraged

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

PT6A posted:

Seems incredibly tepid and weak given what’s at stake. Why do you think it’s not right?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ProtestaBloc/status/1521328439759761408

I'd uh, say :kav: has it easy.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Grip it and rip it posted:

Actually protesting a lovely judge's horrible work is great and 100% should be encouraged

If the US Supreme Court thinks it's inappropriate for people to protest at the doors of homes because it disrupts people, then perhaps they shouldn't have explicitly ruled that there shouldn't be any boundaries around protesting at the doors of medical facilities.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If Brett Kavanaugh thinks he has a right to privacy in his own home, then maybe he should think women have a right to privacy in their own bodies.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

PT6A posted:

Strong disagree. The whole purported point of lifetime judicial appointments is that they are free from political pressure and influence. However the reality is that they are simply free from popular pressure and influence, but continue to live in social circles that exert social political pressure and influence, but it is limited to influence from a small class of people. In this reality judges deserve to have the populace they don't interact with intrude on their daily lives to remind them of the context of their actions. This would be true even if the roles were reversed and the protestors were people I disagreed with protesting a judge I agreed with, btw. The fact that this can happen at all is a sign that maybe there is some hope for the system still.

If you really want judges to be free of protest then they would need to be fully detached from society, like a council of monks/nuns that lives in isolation reading legal briefs and nothing else. I think such a system would also be broken, but it is the only context in which one could sincerely say that peaceful protests that intrude on their isolation are dangerous in some way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I AM GRANDO posted:

Seems incredibly tepid and weak given what’s at stake. Why do you think it’s not right?

What I think is not right is that I think a judge should never be put/allowed to be in this position in the first place. It's a bastardization of the judiciary.

To be perfectly clear: I completely support the protests, without qualification. I abhor the circumstances that have caused them to be necessary.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If you really want judges to be free of protest then they would need to be fully detached from society, like a council of monks/nuns that lives in isolation reading legal briefs and nothing else. I think such a system would also be broken, but it is the only context in which one could sincerely say that peaceful protests that intrude on their isolation are dangerous in some way.

I completely disagree. As a Canadian, I can assure you that I, and all Canadians who are not involved in the legal profession, have a far better idea of who's on the SCOTUS and what their views are, than we have of who is on our own Supreme Court. Why? Because our justices are boring as gently caress and they make boring decisions based on law instead of their own personal desires and no one cares because it's insanely rare that they have a pissing match with the legislature. You don't need to be detached from society, you just need people who aren't completely out their loving gourds.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Strong disagree. The whole purported point of lifetime judicial appointments is that they are free from political pressure and influence. However the reality is that they are simply free from popular pressure and influence, but continue to live in social circles that exert social political pressure and influence, but it is limited to influence from a small class of people. In this reality judges deserve to have the populace they don't interact with intrude on their daily lives to remind them of the context of their actions. This would be true even if the roles were reversed and the protestors were people I disagreed with protesting a judge I agreed with, btw. The fact that this can happen at all is a sign that maybe there is some hope for the system still.

A good first step might be to create federal locations in the central US and in the west, and distribute the legislative and judicial branches across the country. At least they would be in separate circles.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Not remotely.

The people who get appointed to the SCOTUS already run in monied circles long before they're ever considered for the job, and the confirmation process is openly partisan.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

This was the right and correct move. The evangelical right took over the politics of El Salvador and they didn't do this, which resulted in every miscarriage ending up being open to prosecution.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

PT6A posted:

This kind of hand-wringing is exactly how we got here. Protest early, and protest often. A Justice doesn't get to just arbitrarily puts millions of lives at risk and strip rights and not face consequences for it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Also, in response to that:

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1523346208164483072

If I were his neighbour, there'd be this support and also an open bar.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Devorum posted:

This kind of hand-wringing is exactly how we got here. Protest early, and protest often. A Justice doesn't get to just arbitrarily puts millions of lives at risk and strip rights and not face consequences for it.

Did you read my later response or nah?

The protests are unquestionably justified in this case. My issue is that this should not have been left to the Supreme Court, and the court should not be politicized as it is. I don't want a situation where judges' houses are protested, but more importantly than that: I don't want a situation where there is cause to protest at a judge's house, and that's the real issue here.

What's happening is disgusting. It should not happen, but the reason it should not happen is because there should be no reason for it to happen. There should be no reason to protest in front of a judge's home. I'm not saying they shouldn't do it! I'm saying the fact that it's come to this, and very reasonably so, is evidence of a deep rot in the structure of the United States of America.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

PT6A posted:

I don't want a situation where judges' houses are protested, but more importantly than that: I don't want a situation where there is cause to protest at a judge's house, and that's the real issue here.

This is the key. Attempts by external actors to sway court decisions are almost always inappropriate, but in a situation such as this one where the court is dispensing with the law to impose an outcome it would instead prefer, it's completely understandable.

Anyone who thinks court decisions should be reversible in general by making a big enough stink cannot be said to be standing for justice.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

tagesschau posted:

This is the key. Attempts by external actors to sway court decisions are almost always inappropriate

Incorrect. In fact, external actors have always swayed the court, it’s just been in service of capital and the ruling class. It’s about time the people even the odds.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/the_law_boy/status/1523438142476341248?s=21&t=mP8MDISPFJ6uWTI7lK3kmw

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Incorrect. In fact, external actors have always swayed the court, it’s just been in service of capital and the ruling class. It’s about time the people even the odds.

Feel free to cite a source to back up this claim.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

tagesschau posted:

Google the Federalist Society

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

tagesschau posted:

Where did trump’s three court appointments come from?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They need to make Leonard Leo's life a living hell.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This is just court intrigue and probably a lot of dot connecting but boy do the dots connect well

https://twitter.com/edgeofsports/status/1523359141997080576?s=21&t=YQv4KmdpsOfFeHsVJBVBBQ

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008
Courts are not some ineffable font of justice they are groups of people entrusted with the instruments of society's violence in the name of justice. When they betray that trust they can and should have those instruments ripped from their hands, to fail to do so is to surrender society to injustice. There is nothing magical about the buildings they work in or the ridiculous wizard robes they wear that shields from corruption, nor any law degree that makes them immune from bigotry. Refusal to treat them as the fallible people given the power of life and death, the power to impoverish and utterly ruin, on the grounds of vague and lofty "ideals" is just cowardice hiding behind civic religion.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If they didn't want to get protested at their homes they shouldn't have put up all that fencing around the Court. Reap what you sow and all that.

It's laughable they can do that when the Court ruled clinics couldn't have a buffer zone.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Plus the Supreme Court is the most disconnected from the regular public (wealthy persons still have connections).

There is no direct remedy for displeasure with the Court’s decisions. The public cannot recall a Justice like they can a governor. They cannot vote them out of office like Presidents or members of Congress/state legislatures. Impeachment does not happen and has been shown to be a useless option.

The only options to directly voice concerns is through protesting. Since they have determined that a right to privacy does not exist for women to choose their medical procedures, then it can also be seen that there is no right to privacy at their own homes. As long as the protestors do not go onto private property (because property rights are the only laws to be always protected), then the Justices understand that they seeing the 1st amendment in action.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The "people" would need to coalesce around advocacy for a single issue as polarizing as abortion. And for any putative American left, abortion itself doesn't appear to be that issue, nor does campaign finance.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

FizFashizzle posted:

This is just court intrigue and probably a lot of dot connecting but boy do the dots connect well

I feel like this is going to be something that's painfully obvious by how quickly/aggressively they out who leaked it. If it actually was her, any talk of finding out who did it is going to disappear quickly.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

FizFashizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/edgeofsports/status/1523359141997080576?s=21&t=YQv4KmdpsOfFeHsVJBVBBQ
Is this why Kavanaugh is being targeted more in the protests? I was curious why he was getting more of it than Alito or Thomas, who have been more open and brazen for decades about abortion.

Also, surely I'm not the only one who thinks the protests are not going to sway anyone?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crows Turn Off posted:

Is this why Kavanaugh is being targeted more in the protests? I was curious why he was getting more of it than Alito or Thomas, who have been more open and brazen for decades about abortion.

Also, surely I'm not the only one who thinks the protests are not going to sway anyone?

i assume the fact that brett kavanaugh is a rapist probably also factors in to why he is getting more intense protests in a decision involving women's rights

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Crows Turn Off posted:

Who cares if they sway anyone the justices should not know a moment's peace.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Crows Turn Off posted:

Going to guess having a highly publicized confirmation hearing focusing on him being a rapist probably has some effect on people choosing to protest outside of his house.

Also apparently his neighbors are fairly cool people.

E: by rights they all should be being protested, but you get the picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

I apologize for the extremely dumb question, but do we know when we can expect the actual ruling to be released? All we have so far is a leaked draft – not that I have any optimism that the final ruling will be somehow better, but all of these trigger laws in red states don’t come into effect until it’s official.