Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Dilber posted:

Pretty far. I'm not in China anymore but when my buddy was sent there by his company he made around 100 grand USD in the 6 months he was there. We went to the Shanghai grand prix, and he ate at the restaurant at the top of the Shanghai tower a couple times a week. He came home with more than 90k left.

so for like $20k a year I can live like the white poet warlord I was always meant to be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

The Great Autismo! posted:

stop whining you prick. let me tell you about GBS. actually, I think you'll find, it's bad. D&D is actually what's really good. bush did 9/11

They should've sent a poet

Required Parachute
Oct 4, 2012

ladron posted:

so for like $20k a year I can live like the white poet warlord I was always meant to be?

Probably. There are cheaper shitholes that won't give you lung cancer though.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

stop whining you prick. let me tell you about GBS. actually, I think you'll find, it's bad. D&D is actually what's really good. bush did 9/11

LMAO. At least the spergs are usually contained in their own forum. GBS is only for bad posters, do u know?

here's what D&D thinks of this GBS thread, BTW

congrats, everyone is a washed up ex-English teacher who could literally only find minimum wage pay in USA. Also, you only want to pick on specifically Chinese men to prop up your own fragile egos.

Enjoy your horrible thread, GBS!
LOL, I believe sincx was the guy that got really upset over people using "nong," I think reported people for using it, and then did a big sadsack apology post and told everyone he wouldn't post in here anymore instead of just being like "whoops." He's still not over it, it seems. He was also upset about all of my posting in general.

I'm the guy making fun of Chinese men to prop up my own fragile ego.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I do think you having sex with a lot of random women triggered the hell out of a few posters, which I don't really understand at all, but whatever

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've met several posters in this thread. I have no reason to doubt their stories based on the face-to-face impressions I've had of them. Some of them are even my friends and went so far as to attend my wedding. They can attest to the stories I've posted about having culturally-Chinese in-laws. All of the little anecdotes overlap to some degree, though I'm sure there are exaggerations, but it paints a pretty clear picture of what it's like regularly interacting with China and Chinese culture in general. DnD loses their mind because it doesn't fit their narrative and yet their only move is to call us racist rather than to refute our actual, everyday experiences.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I do think you having sex with a lot of random women triggered the hell out of a few posters, which I don't really understand at all, but whatever

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for Han children.

PS: I prefer the FYAD China thread.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 28, 2017

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

ladron posted:

Lol talk about thinking small

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rajahs

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ladron posted:

Not in a real city. In the reddest of redneckland maybe. If you were pulling down like $50K a year you'd have a lot of trouble going through that anywhere but Shanghai, presuming nothing like a student loan or whatever to deal with.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
https://twitter.com/BaldingsWorld/status/946180860180545536

Comrade Balding posted:

Something most foreigners don't realize (even most living in China) is that your biggest risk of being detained in China is not for protesting human rights but some "insignificant" event or misunderstanding. Let me give you my own small small story.

Police came to my door after then 4 year old daughter dropped small paperback dictionary from 21st floor apartment landing on the hood of a Honda causing small ding(I have pictures). I went down to settle matter with our ayi to see owner light up at the sight of a foreigner.

My ayi who has been with us for 5 years politely tried to settle it by having me pay him but he was demanding tens of thousands. They started yelling so loudly nearly coming to blows they had to be restrained by police. At this point I was put into the back of a cop car.

At the police station, there are rooms marked in Chinese & English as "negotiation rooms" because many disputes resolved through police managed arbitration. Policeman assigned to my case lit up like a Christmas tree at the site of a foreigner, but almost started crying when he saw how trivial the matter was and I showed him pictures. The cars owner, who was inside a bank when his car hood was dinged, walked into the room limping demanding vast sums of money. Unfortunately, his English seemed good but was in reality quite poor.

He attempted to intimidate leaning across the table while pounding on it and screaming in my face "WHAT ABOUT THE PROSTITUTES?" Trying not laugh and realizing he didn't speak good English but also unsure where I was supposed to procure prostitutes for him with police present. I asked him to explain this more so I could help. I ultimately realized he meant "prosecute" me though he continued to scream at me about prostitutes. At some point he left to have a cigarette, with his dreadful limp. The policeman, almost embarrassed by this spectacle, probably questioning his choice of careers, scribbles a number for compensation that would pay for the tiny tiny ding on the hood. I immediately nod and offer him the cash. When the car owner returns, he and the policeman start arguing loudly as though they might fight.

After another lengthy argument, of which I understood nothing, he accepted and I was free to go. However, I fully understand that my 4 year old tossing a small paper back out a window is just the type of thing that can create massive legal problems in China, where foreign businessmen and tourists can be detained indefinitely for the most minor minor of infractions.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I know i'm late to the weed in asia chat but the US goon who was growing weed on japanese government land and arrested and basically shipped home 2 months later because he refused to sign a confession was a really good thread

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Jose posted:

I know i'm late to the weed in asia chat but the US goon who was growing weed on japanese government land and arrested and basically shipped home 2 months later because he refused to sign a confession was a really good thread

Do you have the link? I'd like to read this.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
No and I have no idea how to find it because its so old now

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Jose posted:

Found an AMA: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2tqma7/i_moved_to_japan_grew_and_sold_marijuana_until_i/.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Do you have the link? I'd like to read this.

I can't find the SA thread, but I found the reddit AMA by the same guy: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2tqma7/i_moved_to_japan_grew_and_sold_marijuana_until_i/

And the edited version with just the questions and answers in a readable format: https://www.topiama.com/r/3545/i-moved-to-japan-grew-and-sold-marijuana-until-i

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Jose posted:

Here you go

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3365874

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
yoink

https://my.mixtape.moe/zaugdg.mp4

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Thanks!

Pound_Coin posted:

I can't find the SA thread, but I found the reddit AMA by the same guy: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2tqma7/i_moved_to_japan_grew_and_sold_marijuana_until_i/

And the edited version with just the questions and answers in a readable format: https://www.topiama.com/r/3545/i-moved-to-japan-grew-and-sold-marijuana-until-i

Also thanks!

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

here's what D&D thinks of this GBS thread, BTW

congrats, everyone is a washed up ex-English teacher who could literally only find minimum wage pay in USA. Also, you only want to pick on specifically Chinese men to prop up your own fragile egos.

Enjoy your horrible thread, GBS!

That stuff was aimed at AO.

As a dude who is not from the states, I always found it curious why so many people from the US turn into the abusive bootstrap uncle types when they get angry. They get off by humiliating people, by pointing out their jobs, income or lack of social security.

You guys are literally the sick man of the west, and your atavistic society and toxic culture is destroying the planet. Ironically, you're also our best hope.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm just an idiot but I think the 'Protestant Work Ethic' thing added a sadomasochistic streak to our culture.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Power Khan posted:

They get off by humiliating people, by pointing out their jobs, income or lack of social security.

Wait, who are we talking about again?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I don't know if they are actually talking about me, but the whole point of my "worked in a grocery store" story is that I basically saw the writing on the wall if I stayed in China, and even though getting the hell out meant I had to work in a grocery store for a while, it was worth it. I only worked there for like six months, but if I had been unluckier it could have been longer...who knows?

I won't begrudge anyone for staying in China to have a better quality of life (with some serious tradeoffs of course).

Keep in mind my last semester of college was during the financial crisis, and I had been planning to teach high school as my "fallback plan" if I ended up not wanting to get my PhD. I'd decided a few weeks earlier that getting a PhD wasn't a good plan, and teaching in China was part of my plan to get teaching experience. The financial crisis made getting teaching jobs in the states all but impossible.

People who graduated and entered the job market right around the time of the financial crisis got totally hosed and are still feeling the effects of it. It's hard to remember–or maybe I just was really dumb–but I'm pretty positive that before 2008, the idea of a liberal arts degree being borderline worthless wasn't really there. It was clear that STEM was smarter and would make you more money, but that illusion of studying something that actually interests you leading to a job in that field using your BS/BA degree was still a real thing at the time.

I'm sure there really are a lot of useless expat bums in China, but the fact that you can just get a somewhat real job in another country that will pay you all you need to live, give you a place to stay, etc. was/is a big deal for people who entered the job market when I did. I remember even after I got the job I did seeing people with PhD's applying to be our secretary, and one guy who attended the "international education" conferences that we went to with business cards printed out. I asked him what he did and he said "he just really wants a job in the field," so he was paying out of pocket and travelling to conferences to hand out business cards for him being unemployed just to show how bad he wanted basically ANY job.

Saying "gently caress it I'm going to China" isn't necessarily some kind of mark against a person's moral character or ability to be a functional human being, it's often just a choice of wanting a life that isn't total misery.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Power Khan posted:

You guys are literally the sick man of the west, and your atavistic society and toxic culture is destroying the planet. Ironically, you're also our best hope.

"You guys" is a really stupid way to refer to a scant handful of people who probably do not and probably do not wish to represent a large and diverse population, hth.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

angel opportunity posted:

... that illusion of studying something that actually interests you leading to a job in that field using your BS/BA degree was still a real thing at the time.

This was still true for me in the early 2000's, but I was also a first-generation student and had a lot of silly notions about things.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Power Khan posted:

"You guys" is a really stupid way to refer to a scant handful of people who probably do not and probably do not wish to represent a large and diverse population, hth.

I don't care because Power Khan made the funniest post on the internet (today)

Ironically the game is up but they used the word 'hope' and I about wet myself

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I majored in Linguistics but my part-time job was in the office of the genome browser. In retrospect I maybe I should have done geology or medicine but my life turned out pretty good :shrug:

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
HOSTEL, TIGER LEAPING GORGE, YUNAN, CHINA:

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Accretionist posted:

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
quick harvest its skeleton

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Saying "gently caress it I'm going to China" isn't necessarily some kind of mark against a person's moral character or ability to be a functional human being, it's often just a choice of wanting a life that isn't total misery.

This is where I am now. I don't like it here and want to leave, but then I look at other jobs. Right now I'm being paid just barely enough to live on, which is the best I or anyone in my extended family can say, and that pay is to teach Roman history and I also get literal months of paid vacation a year, my yearly healthcare costs $200, I have no need for a car, etc. It's a quandary since I desperately want out but also have no options that would be better, other than the part where they are Not In China.

Graduating in 2009 was great. Year and a half of unemployment. :buddy:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

I'm pretty positive that before 2008, the idea of a liberal arts degree being borderline worthless wasn't really there.

I went to college in '96 and it was a commonly accepted notion that a liberal arts degree wasn't going to do much for you outside of being a degree in general. I had a lot of friends doing computer science stuff who were dropping out their freshman and sophomore years and going right into six-figure income jobs. Now, a ton of those jobs evaporated a year or so later when the companies failed, but no one in my circle seem to hold any illusions about the practical value of a stem degree versus a liberal arts degree.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hahaha

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Owns.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Grand Fromage posted:

Graduating in 2009 was great. Year and a half of unemployment. :buddy:

I regret trying to stay and find work in the US during 2006-2010, including the time I spent in grad school. Regret it hard. If I'd left sooner, if I'd not gone through all the poo poo I went through then and in early 2011, I'd never have met my wife, so it's not necessarily the nicest thing to say, but if I had those years to do over again I wouldn't.

Anyone who pisses on westerners for going to Asia (or anyone for going anywhere) likely has no idea the circumstances people are coming from. I'm from the edge of the abyss myself and I'm not going to give anyone a hard time over escaping from it. If you can get a better deal somewhere else, leave. If you have to spend more than a month looking for work, it's time to start thinking about leaving. Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCHsAP3gIdE
1,065 calories supplied to you by the lowest bidder highest briber.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Accretionist posted:

How far would $150k/year go in China, anyways?

Depends where you are. If you're trying to live in nice part of Beijing enjoy being a poverty poor unfit to lick the dirt from their weird Versailles themed floormats, but if you live in some "small" town of several hundred thousand in like Hunan enjoy your unparalleled wealth and ability to buy off the local police department.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

Anyone who pisses on westerners for going to Asia (or anyone for going anywhere) likely has no idea the circumstances people are coming from.

But you see I'm white therefore :five minute wet making GBS threads noise:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Throughout my entire childhood, I was told time and again that the only thing that mattered was getting a 4 year degree. A good university was important, but not absolutely necessary. It was the degree that mattered. The subject was secondary unless you were certain you were going into the hard sciences. All a business cared about was that you could dedicate yourself to completing the degree and all that that implied: writing skills, ability to work in teams, and the ability to meet deadlines and complete projects.

As I was finishing high school, I asked my parents if I could look into going to a trade school. I'd heard how much electricians and plumbers made and figured that there would always be work in those fields because even if the economy was down, repairs and maintenance were still necessary. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it doesn't matter. My parents scoffed at the idea of their son "lowering himself" to blue-collar work. No, I'd be going to university like every other 18 year old and getting my degree.

I don't regret going in the general sense, but I certainly had no idea what my strengths or interests were. I fell into taking more and more classes that I liked and performed well in and ended up with a double major in political science and philosophy. I graduated in 2008. Jobs weren't exactly chomping at the bit to hire me. So I went to Asia. The other option was law school, and from what I've heard I made the right call.

Asia has been kind to me and I'm glad I picked it. I've developed into a competent teacher, finished my Masters, got married, had a beautiful son, and seen more of the world than most people in history have or will. But my opinions on higher education have changed dramatically.

I'm not a rich man. I do well for myself and live comfortably. However, I do think I could be earning more and without going back to school, I'm more or less stuck on the path I'm currently on. I think a lot of people would benefit from a gap year or from attending community college. Trying to force people to make major life decisions for themselves so they graduate with the perfect degree by 22 just leads to diploma mills and unsatisfied people. My happiest friend is a goon who took his time before committing to a program. He's somewhat well known in the competitive video game industry as an event organizer now, even having appeared on television a couple of times, but it took him a long time to figure out how to turn video games into a serious career.

In short, part of the reason we have so many overqualified people in the US is because too many people are being told university is the be-all-end-all for career advancement when it's really not. I think a higher education is overall a good thing that people have a right to and getting a liberal arts degree can potentially make you a better person, but it saddles you with a ton of debt and doesn't actually give you many options to make money and pay it off.

But Asia is right there and all you need is that piece of paper to get a visa.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

VideoTapir posted:

I regret trying to stay and find work in the US during 2006-2010, including the time I spent in grad school. Regret it hard. If I'd left sooner, if I'd not gone through all the poo poo I went through then and in early 2011, I'd never have met my wife, so it's not necessarily the nicest thing to say, but if I had those years to do over again I wouldn't.

Anyone who pisses on westerners for going to Asia (or anyone for going anywhere) likely has no idea the circumstances people are coming from. I'm from the edge of the abyss myself and I'm not going to give anyone a hard time over escaping from it. If you can get a better deal somewhere else, leave. If you have to spend more than a month looking for work, it's time to start thinking about leaving. Where you come from is gone, where you thought you were going to was never there, and where you are is no good unless you can get away from it.

Anyone in Canada who graduated from Teacher's college post 2005 ended up in Korea. It was either that, or competing with retired teachers for meager subbing jobs. I went over in 2006, and after two years in Korea and one in China I came home with ~50k tax free. I subbed for a year, lost about 5k, landed a full-time job, and 8 years later there are still some of those 2006 grads who are still wondering when they're going to be able to stop updating their resumes.

I can't imagine how tough it must be to have an LA degree that doesn't translate directly into a specific job.

Atlas Hugged posted:

As I was finishing high school, I asked my parents if I could look into going to a trade school. I'd heard how much electricians and plumbers made and figured that there would always be work in those fields because even if the economy was down, repairs and maintenance were still necessary. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but it doesn't matter. My parents scoffed at the idea of their son "lowering himself" to blue-collar work. No, I'd be going to university like every other 18 year old and getting my degree.

I don't know a single contractor/plumber/electrician who isn't well off. If you have some business sense, are driven, care about doing good work, and don't have a drug/mental health problem, then you're pretty much guaranteed to have a six figure income and lots of vacation time.

Blistex fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Accretionist posted:

would

• Locked thread