Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

SlapActionJackson posted:

Yep, $5K is the price for a paint they already have the recipe for. You might be first to ask for it on an F80 tho.

I don't think so :(

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1130540

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

mechaet posted:

Is that....is that a technoviolet wagon?

Yes. Never available in the US.

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I did...I did not know technoviolet (or daytona violet) were available at all.

I am now saving up for individual paint on my m3 for next year. I think that's like an additional $5000 right?
I'm pretty sure I will have won BMW evangelist of the year if I convinced you to order an individual a color that hasn't been offered in 10 years on a F8x.

edit:
...oh :(

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That looks absolutely tits

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Getting an individual order approved is sort of difficult if you don't already have a relationship with a dealer and BMW NA. I lucked out as tanzanite blue (the color I wanted all along) was made into a semi-individual color, but had to settle for the full black interior as cohiba brown full would of made my order a full individual and tacked on about $2-4k and 1-2 extra months for delivery.

Point is it's only worth the trouble if you really want to keep the car. If your just leasing or one of those guys who goes through new cars all the drat time it's not worth the extra effort and money.

Bimmerpost is full of asshats who ordered super bespoke individual colors and interiors and then post it up in the classifieds 4 months later saying "need to sell the M for trendy sports car of the moment."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
At least BMW lets them be stupid. I remember back when Aston Martin wouldn't sell Adam Corolla a car that was BRG with oxblood interior because they were afraid he might cancel the order and no one would want to buy that combination.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cojawfee posted:

At least BMW lets them be stupid. I remember back when Aston Martin wouldn't sell Adam Corolla a car that was BRG with oxblood interior because they were afraid he might cancel the order and no one would want to buy that combination.

Yea well they're right.

edit: which was your original point, sorry.

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 25, 2015

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Getting an individual order approved is sort of difficult if you don't already have a relationship with a dealer and BMW NA. I lucked out as tanzanite blue (the color I wanted all along) was made into a semi-individual color, but had to settle for the full black interior as cohiba brown full would of made my order a full individual and tacked on about $2-4k and 1-2 extra months for delivery.

Point is it's only worth the trouble if you really want to keep the car. If your just leasing or one of those guys who goes through new cars all the drat time it's not worth the extra effort and money.

Bimmerpost is full of asshats who ordered super bespoke individual colors and interiors and then post it up in the classifieds 4 months later saying "need to sell the M for trendy sports car of the moment."

I would be purchasing mine and I've bought 2 cars from the same sales guy at the BMW dealer in San Mateo. I also will be going for a normal interior and not anything insane.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I would be purchasing mine and I've bought 2 cars from the same sales guy at the BMW dealer in San Mateo. I also will be going for a normal interior and not anything insane.

Nice, as long as you stick to a reasonable color you should be good to go. What one did you have in mind?

Edit: Pyrite brown, and San Marino blue were the two I almost got instead of TBM.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Aug 25, 2015

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

Nice, as long as you stick to a reasonable color you should be good to go. What one did you have in mind?

Edit: Pyrite brown, and San Marino blue were the two I almost got instead of TBM.

That Daytona purple is literally what I want. That is not a joke.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Beast of Bourbon posted:

That Daytona purple is literally what I want. That is not a joke.

Oh hell yes, show the dealer some photos to prove that its been done before if they give you any grief about it haha. Also keep us posted on how it goes.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 25, 2015

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Beast of Bourbon, if a dealer gives you poo poo about an individual order, go to another one. There's lots of dealers on bf.c/bimmerpost and the like that will work deals with people online.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
It's going to be like a year before I place my order, next summer-ish for the refresh.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Beast of Bourbon posted:

It's going to be like a year before I place my order, next summer-ish for the refresh.

M3's just got the LCI, the M4 (and 4 series) is next model year.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

M3's just got the LCI, the M4 (and 4 series) is next model year.

Yeah but I gotta save up that scrilla

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Beast of Bourbon posted:

Yeah but I gotta save up that scrilla

Just lease for that instant gratification bro! :thumbsup:

This is the same reason I had to wait a year and it ended up paying off in a seemingly early LCI update. If I were you I'd consider an M4 too considering they will be updated by then.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Party Alarm posted:

I think my perfect 5 series DD would be an e34 touring, with a frankensteined M60b44 + 6 speed thrown in with LSD to help handle the winters
I used to have a manual 525ix e34 touring. It was a great car and amazing to drive in the winter. Automatically locking center and rear diffs but no traction control, so when it was slippery, you could just floor it and start four wheel drifting like a pro. With the long wheelbase and weight it was easy to keep in control.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
still running Autochecks? WBAEN33474PC13256

thanks!

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Better off getting an E39. The M62 has way more giddy up than the M60.

You can swap the b44 block in and retain obd1 and m60b40 heads. Higher compression and slightly more aggressive cams.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BraveUlysses posted:

still running Autochecks? WBAEN33474PC13256

thanks!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280367/autocheck/WBAEN33474PC13256.pdf

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I've become obsessed with the e39 540 and am prepared to throw large sums into maintaining it but... They can't be all 12 owner clapped out dumps can they? Is one of them in decent shape (with sports pack :3) a unicorn? Should I seek help for this obsession?

I check around everyday and setup appointments to test them and something always goes terminally wrong with the experience. Maybe I need a new dream to chase.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fyodor posted:

I've become obsessed with the e39 540 and am prepared to throw large sums into maintaining it but... They can't be all 12 owner clapped out dumps can they? Is one of them in decent shape (with sports pack :3) a unicorn? Should I seek help for this obsession?

I check around everyday and setup appointments to test them and something always goes terminally wrong with the experience. Maybe I need a new dream to chase.

I was the same way. I looked a lot, but the "right" 540 never showed up. The 530 I ended up with is stupidly-well preserved and drives like new (I'm only now getting the slightest bit of initial-braking vibration from the original torque bushings), so I went with that... it would be the perfect car if it had a bit more power and a manual. :unsmith:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

danke

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

meatpimp posted:

I was the same way. I looked a lot, but the "right" 540 never showed up. The 530 I ended up with is stupidly-well preserved and drives like new (I'm only now getting the slightest bit of initial-braking vibration from the original torque bushings), so I went with that... it would be the perfect car if it had a bit more power and a manual. :unsmith:

http://vf-engineering.com/5-series-e39-1997-03-2/

:getin:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

fyodor posted:

Do you need one, like, right now? If not, you'll find one eventually. I keep idly checking ads because I miss my 540 more than any other car that I've ever owned, and really pristine ones for reasonable prices pop up once a month or so.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Paradoxish posted:

Do you need one, like, right now? If not, you'll find one eventually. I keep idly checking ads because I miss my 540 more than any other car that I've ever owned, and really pristine ones for reasonable prices pop up once a month or so.

Yea that's where I'm at... Learning to be methodical and patient and checking everyday. I've learned some specific tell-tale signs of a bad deal from looking at a CL ad.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Can we see what a $10k E46 M3 looks like? Everyone and their mother wants that much for an E36 M3 these days.

I checked out on this thread. I'll upload some pics later this week.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

fyodor posted:

Yea that's where I'm at... Learning to be methodical and patient and checking everyday. I've learned some specific tell-tale signs of a bad deal from looking at a CL ad.

God drat It. I usually check every couple days or so. I had a boy scouts camping trip last weekend and it's been hella busy. I found this just now:
https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5179963933.html

Sold. :slash my loving wrists:

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

meatpimp posted:

God drat It. I usually check every couple days or so. I had a boy scouts camping trip last weekend and it's been hella busy. I found this just now:
https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5179963933.html

Sold. :slash my loving wrists:

Maybe 'won't last' means 'So rotten with rust will literally fall apart in a stiff breeze'? :unsmith:

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008
V6 too! Thats a rare one :D

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

i love when they advertise a non-sports package car as having the sports package:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5177734175.html

and then someone else with the sports package makes no mention of it:
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5189055715.html

edit: hmm maybe the '98s didn't have the 3-spoke wheel with m badge :shrug:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 27, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

fyodor posted:

i love when they advertise a non-sports package car as having the sports package:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/cto/5177734175.html

What makes you think it isn't? No three spoke until 2000. Shadowline trim and seats match sport.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

fyodor posted:

edit: hmm maybe the '98s didn't have the 3-spoke wheel with m badge :shrug:

They didn't. My 540 was a '98 with sport package and it had the regular four spoke. I think all 540s with 6-speeds technically have the sport package? Seats are probably the easiest way to tell.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

hedgegnome posted:

V6 too! Thats a rare one :D

Maybe two cylinders aren't firing :v:

Paradoxish posted:

They didn't. My 540 was a '98 with sport package and it had the regular four spoke. I think all 540s with 6-speeds technically have the sport package? Seats are probably the easiest way to tell.

For what it's worth my 540i/6 has the three spoke wheel with M badging. I also have an M-badged shifter as I think they all do.

Pretty sure the 6-speed was indeed the sport package.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Having this car inspected on Friday and hopefully everything goes well. Going to sell our TDI wagon soon. We just don't drive enough to warrant the new car payment and premium maintenance that the TDI requires.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/cto/5189287045.html

ultrabay2000
Jan 1, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Some guy said on the internet all 540i 6-speeds after 97 also had the sports package.

I don't think the three spoke wheel and the ///M stuff came until later. I have a 98 and the sports seats but no wheel or ///M emblems anywhere. Another giveaway of the sports package is the body moulding is black with no chrome trim.

See this car here - chrome trim along the moulding. I think the sports package has solid black moulding. Note cars can still have chrome kidneys either way.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

You can probably dump the last 7 digits of the VIN (if you have it) into a BMW VIN decoder and get all the options packages that the car came with anyway. You should see sport seats, shadow line trim, and m sports suspension if the car has the sport package.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 27, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Paradoxish posted:

You can probably dump the last 7 digits of the VIN (if you have it) into a BMW VIN decoder and get all the options packages that the car came with anyway. You should see sport seats, shadow line trim, and m sports suspension if the car has the sport package.

There they all are!

Trans Ferdinand
Oct 24, 2005
Take Me Out Of Gear

I haven't even owned it a week and I've already modded the darn thing :eek: I had a muffler shop take out the silencer (the "scuba tank") for $45 bucks.

The exhaust now has a lot more bass at idle and at low revs, and it sounds pretty wicked when you open it up. :D I had initially planned on having them remove the muffler as well, but I decided to play it safe.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Still doing carfax? wbawl73577px42377

Pretty pretty please.

And does anyone know any pitfalls for a 335i hard top convertible? Im looking at picking one up to use as a daily and dont really see much about them online. The hard top that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hedgegnome
May 20, 2008

Trans Ferdinand posted:

I haven't even owned it a week and I've already modded the darn thing :eek: I had a muffler shop take out the silencer (the "scuba tank") for $45 bucks.

The exhaust now has a lot more bass at idle and at low revs, and it sounds pretty wicked when you open it up. :D I had initially planned on having them remove the muffler as well, but I decided to play it safe.

Right?!? I did this with mine too, best thing ive ever done :D