Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

heeebrew posted:

I separate the two into knee on belly and shin on belly.

Do it in Japanese and you can shoot a danaher video!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I hear this refrain of hating warmups constantly. What's the issue? Maybe my gym is just easy on them? General process is show up, bow in, shrimp down the mats a couple times and maybe do something like drop knees or easy takedown reps, then you're taught and drill moves, then freeroll for the last half of class. Doing a couple laps of some random movement down the mat or doing 2-3min of light back and forth with a partner seems fine to me and I think it foes me some good to get me in the flow. Maybe 5-10min tops of warmups.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I hear there are some coaches who think they're running a calisthenics clinic and get you working out for 15-20 minutes.

I've never personally been to a gym like that.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

starkebn posted:

I hear there are some coaches who think they're running a calisthenics clinic and get you working out for 15-20 minutes.

I've never personally been to a gym like that.

Ew, lame.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like a good warmup which includes lots of fundamental movements

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

knuthgrush posted:

I hear this refrain of hating warmups constantly. What's the issue? Maybe my gym is just easy on them? General process is show up, bow in, shrimp down the mats a couple times and maybe do something like drop knees or easy takedown reps, then you're taught and drill moves, then freeroll for the last half of class. Doing a couple laps of some random movement down the mat or doing 2-3min of light back and forth with a partner seems fine to me and I think it foes me some good to get me in the flow. Maybe 5-10min tops of warmups.

I don't like them. I would rather spend more time on instruction, or drilling moves, or even positional sparring, than the 5-10 minute cart wheel shrimp plank dance.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I was more asking for, say, structured ways to practice jiu jitsu aside from normal rolling. I'm a big fan of king of the mat takedowns; you get more practice against more people, and the better practitioners get tired and eventually taken down by people who never normally pull off moves against them in normal rounds.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I feel warmups should be used to help prevent injury and improve movements that we use during the practice. Doing calisthenics simply to do calisthenics seems ridiculous to me.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
My first coach liked to say that the only purpose for warming up was "to raise the body's core temperature, in preparation for physical activity." To that end I think something like running laps or calisthenics will get it done most efficiently but I prefer something that is sport-relevant and/or fun.

I've mentioned before grip fighting with clothespins attached to lapels and sleeves. It's both functional and fun. Just be careful not to damage feet or mats with disassembled pins.

If the group is experienced enough I like to do 2-minute rounds of standing open guard passes, instructing the bottom person to start with almost no resistance and end with moderate resistance, and that they can frame but can't grab hold of anything. 3 or 4 rounds on top & bottom takes about 15 minutes and this is my favorite way to warm up.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

We have a warmup pattern that my coach stole from Braulio. Everyone memorizes it, it’s about five minutes of easy movements (which correspond to grappling motions) and then on the end of it you tack a specific warmup for whatever you’re learning that day. If we’re passing from the feet that day, it’ll be a side-to-side passing warmup drill. I could write it out but some of the movements would be hard to describe in words. Whole class is warm in 7ish minutes.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

the last two schools i've trained at have been extremely leg lock focused. The school im training at right now is an old school brazilian place so while they still teach them, they don't go very deep. It's been pretty nice since joining to be able to answer some questions people ask me after we roll, or when people see me roll I've been getting asked about certain entries i'm doing or escapes. Hopefully people will get really good at leg locks here, and it's nice to be able to add something to a new place.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

My gym’s coach is on the side of warm ups is running in a circle for 5-10 minutes and I am not a fan. I show up late typically just to miss it. If I want to do that kind of warmup I can just show up a few minutes being class and do it on my own.

I sometimes train at another school in town where the warm ups are movements that work into whatever technique is being worked out that day and that seems ideal.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
my coach has moved off group warm us as our class structure has developed. you're free to go run in a circle or do jumping jacks while we stretch and chat before class but we arent paying to learn how to jog around.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Neon Belly posted:

My gym’s coach is on the side of warm ups is running in a circle for 5-10 minutes and I am not a fan. I show up late typically just to miss it. If I want to do that kind of warmup I can just show up a few minutes being class and do it on my own.

I sometimes train at another school in town where the warm ups are movements that work into whatever technique is being worked out that day and that seems ideal.

I actually like the run for a bit warmup because it's an easy way to get my blood moving. Idk about 10 minutes though 5 seems good.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

spending any amount of time on warmups is wack imo but stretching should be a thing before class. I typically just stretch instead of doing any weird calisthenics

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

Some warmups are good. I think light warmup and then stretching is fine. Reminder not to stretch cold.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

spending any amount of time on warmups is wack imo but stretching should be a thing before class. I typically just stretch instead of doing any weird calisthenics

Active stretching? Because seems like all the science says static stretching isn't too good and might actually get people hurt more often.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hot take:

If you need to stretch get there early. I'm paying to learn jits. If you're adamant that people warmup make the warm up strictly jits related (back bump, side bump, forward roll, back roll, shrimp,etc) no laps, no calisthenics.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
My class warm-ups are under 10 minutes. Run around, side to side, run backwards, karaoke, clap above the head and into drills up and down the mat length. Hip escapes, rolls, collar drags, reverse hip escape, sprawls etc.
Usually ends with doing a few sets of 10 of triangles, hip raises, crunches, and hip escapes.

Typically it goes by pretty fast and straight into the full rolling or whatever position/sub we needed to train that day. Unless it's the main head professor. Sometimes he extends warm-ups more but thankfully he has mellowed out over the years. 4-5 years ago we legit had some 25+ warm ups in an hour long close.

gay for gacha
Dec 22, 2006

I timed my last nogi class. warmup was 16 minutes, instruction was 10 minutes, we drilled for 15 minutes we rolled for 30 minutes. Warmups are lame.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I worked out at a judo club many years ago. It was mixed adults and kids and the coach would spend more than half the 90 minute class doing warmup gymnastics and stretching.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I agree that you can spend too much time on warming up. On the other hand, there is a reason every sport in existence incorporates warmups and conditioning and stretching-- they work. They should not be discarded lightly.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Also not everyone does jits for the same reason.

I've got a baby at home and no time or energy so when I go to class I find it very nice to have a light warmup and basic exercise thrown in.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for our 1 hour class, about 20 mins is warmups/stretching followed by 10mins of review drilling/free drilling (5mins a partner to drill whatever they wanna focus on) then its 30mins of technique. if its a sparring day, then its just 30mins of sparring after the free drilling.

I think having a good warmup is good and important and I am find doing laps/calisthenics as a group to make sure nobody is cold and gets hurt but i think spending half my class time on warmups is silly.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

For reference our class time is an hour, followed by an hour of free sparring.

Typically 10 minutes is warmup/stretching, ~30m instruction and supervised practice, 10-15m of live training of some kind, usually starting in the position from which the technique was taught, then a 5-10m roll.

Then an hour of free sparring. Usually most people do 3-4 8m rounds after class is officially over.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

I always hated warmups. The injury prevention concept seemed like bullshit when we'd be doing cartwheels across the mat so that we'd be warm for our slow technique drilling. Warm up by doing jiu jitsu gently. Now that I teach morning classes, we go right into jiu jitsu moves. As others have said, if people want to run around or do some jumping jacks while everyone is filing onto the mat, that's fine, but I'm not spending any class time on it.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I DO hate that the default structure for grappling classes is warm up, then cool off while instructor talks for 5 minutes, drill just long enough to get a sweat back up, then sit around for 5 more minutes, repeat until sparring time. Once I get moving I really don't want to stop long enough to fully recover and start to get cool.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
The best warmup is just a couple 5 min round of rolls where you negotiate with your partner a low intensity level

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

The best warmup is just a couple 5 min round of rolls where you negotiate with your partner a low intensity level

I'm into that. I'm also a fan of 10th Planet's warmups that are codified jiu jitsu sequences.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

The older I get the more I realize that warmups that concentrate on the lower back are essential IMO. Ive had so many goddamn back injuries in my life and pulled back muscles that the stretches I do now are not optional, they are required.

Pron on VHS posted:

You can pull muscles just drilling stuff. Knowing your body is key.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I'm into that. I'm also a fan of 10th Planet's warmups that are codified jiu jitsu sequences.

Careful there. You’re real close to “katas” and we cant be comparing ourselves to things like karate that way :P

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Ill be at Worlds Masters in Vegas this coming weekend. Fighting in Gi and Nogi. My whole team is basically going. Should be fun. Eager to try some of the stuff I've learned over the past 8 months into practice in a competition setting. We'll see how I do...

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Ill be at Worlds Masters in Vegas this coming weekend. Fighting in Gi and Nogi. My whole team is basically going. Should be fun. Eager to try some of the stuff I've learned over the past 8 months into practice in a competition setting. We'll see how I do...

Good luck

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

L0cke17 posted:

Careful there. You’re real close to “katas” and we cant be comparing ourselves to things like karate that way :P

Nah, they're a great idea. They're evidence that you can be really smart at one thing and really stupid at everything else.

Pyle
Feb 18, 2007

Tenno Heika Banzai
Reading these comments on warmups makes me think that everyone here is some fat purple belt who shows up only to roll. At my age and condition, warmups are mandatory part of BJJ. I need to open my hips and warmup my lower back to prevent injuries. I always show up early to do some active stretching. Luckily our classes now have 5 min - to max 10 min specific warmups. We warmup with running, some active streching and then warming up with the technique of the day and smoothly transition ot the class. 30 minutes of rolling at the end of every class. The older guys told that back in the days, maybe fifteen years ago, the classes had at least thirty minutes of running, cartwheels, jumping jacks and push-ups. Then they stopped inviting these certain Brazilian Black Belts as our guys had finally learned enough push-ups.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 10, 2022

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
30 minutes of warmup is ideal imo. Jogging, tumbling, dynamic stretching, neck bridging, partner resistance exercises, movement drills, etc.

I don't want to hear your rationalisations for why not warming up and being allergic to doing more than 3 reps of something is actually more intelligent.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
I don't think anyone is opposed to warming up in general it's just doing it as a group that makes a class worse. Each persons problem areas and warm up requirements are going to be different. It should be encouraged and a space provided for it prior to class but I am paying for the BJJ practice.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Go kick some rear end! I signed up for it but injured my shoulder a few weeks ago, so I'll be holding down the fort at home instead. Most of my gym goes to that one too, and it's a lot of fun to have all of your teammates cheering you on and vice versa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Drewjitsu posted:

Stop doxxing me, please.