Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost
speaking of MIDI to CV my Noise Engineering Univer Inter arrived but it’s not playing nice with the NE portal and it turns itself off when I’m trying to update its firmware :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
First thing resembling a track in a while, been playing around with the 4-track cassette recorder a little more trying to channel my inner xangelix.
https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/space-nap

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

there is a synth in the background so this definitely counts as a synth cat

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I finally inserted the 1010Music Lemondrop into my Deluge salad box this evening after getting a passive mixer. The Lemondrop is an incredible little box, but it seems like a lot of people have them in drawers unused because the factory SD card was missing 80% of the wave files needed for the patches, so people were just hearing the bare oscillators being granulated rather than those + the wave forms. It's an easy fix by just downloading the image from the website.

My ebay Lemondrop still had most of the wave files missing.

Anyway, this is the 'hello world' recording after I connected all the wotsits. It's all ready for when I have the next healthy music window
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A53nazFkVzE

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
So ... Today I played a Hydrasynth Deluxe.

I want one.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

snorch posted:

First thing resembling a track in a while, been playing around with the 4-track cassette recorder a little more trying to channel my inner xangelix.
https://soundcloud.com/snowcloud/space-nap

Really enjoyed this

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Will make a post in the selling thread as well but going to be putting up a 2HP LFO and Lyra-8 FX modules up for sale for those interested.

I recently got a Metropolix and I get along with it much better than the Rene I was using beforehand. I'm dumb and can only step sequence but you know what, it's ok.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Stopped by a random bar for a drink and they have this sitting there

The owner built it while they were shut down for covid, now it’s just collecting dust

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Snowy posted:

The owner built it while they were shut down for covid, now it’s just collecting dust

:eyepop:

You should start jamming on it next time

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Snowy posted:

Their dust-collecting modular has a Pam's Pro from earlier this year lmao

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

duck.exe posted:

:eyepop:

You should start jamming on it next time

I said I would absolutely come back if they’d play it but apparently the owner is going through a tough time of some sort so he has given up for now :(

I’m guessing there’s only one patch cord so nobody starts getting too tempted. Or maybe it’s BYO!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Snowy posted:

I said I would absolutely come back if they’d play it but apparently the owner is going through a tough time of some sort so he has given up for now :(

I’m guessing there’s only one patch cord so nobody starts getting too tempted. Or maybe it’s BYO!

It HAS to be BYO patch cables disappear far too easy

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Presumably if you show up with enough patch cables to do something interesting then you automatically qualify to operate it.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
I get wanting to have options but that's a lot of sound sources in one rack.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Spiggy posted:

I get wanting to have options but that's a lot of sound sources in one rack.

theres an argument to be made that being able to reproduce most of the functionality of an ableton lite license but w/ cv is Worth It

most people making that argument are touring w/ like 168-204 hp cases but they can be very persuasive online and if you're reading about eurorack cause you're bored cause the board of health made you close your bar, and also just got a fat PPP loan that ostensibly needs to go to business stuff, well,

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I visited my old music professor last week. Looks like he recently installed a sweet-rear end synth setup -- Grandmother and maybe a Prophet, some nice theremins, a bank of Mother-32s and DFAMs, and a utility rack full of Doepfer stuff.

I really need to pick his brain soon.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Finally managed to buy a pair of traffics (jasmine and olive trees). They sold out super fast the last 2 times they were available and they're selling out super fast rn. Time to go back to sleep.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Snowy posted:

Bar owners are almost universally petite bourgeoisie scum.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been screwing around the VCV Rack, it is fun as hell.

I feel kind of bad every time I copy/paste or save-as and create another $10k worth of digital hardware.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mister Speaker posted:

so are most eurorack owners

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
What about 5U?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mister Speaker posted:

but they make it so you can drink alcohol, so its impossible to tell if its bad or good

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Snowy posted:

Ask him if he's willing to sell that TipTop TG ONE, because :aaaaa:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
You can tell it was all purchased in a short amount of time because there's so few utilities in that rack

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

You can tell it was all purchased in a short amount of time because there's so few utilities in that rack

Never enough mults.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Imagine if you could just copy-paste mults and cables and modules forever. You could do it with computer. Imagine some sort of digital synthesizer.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

snorch posted:

Imagine if you could just copy-paste mults and cables and modules forever. You could do it with computer. Imagine some sort of digital synthesizer.

This would be cheating.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

snorch posted:

Gets real glitchy and refuses to do anything long before my "what if I use another delay?" questions are satisfied.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Hey kid, I'm a computer.
Stop all the modulating

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

withak posted:

This would be cheating.

Darn, guess I’m gonna have to go back to sampling onto tape from vinyl.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

RocketMermaid posted:

Ask him if he's willing to sell that TipTop TG ONE, because :aaaaa:

Just looked it up and gently caress now I want it!

I didn’t meet the owner but the bartender said he bought a micro brute for her to use so I’m thinking this is right:

JamesKPolk posted:

also just got a fat PPP loan that ostensibly needs to go to business stuff

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
use stacking patch cables to mult your signal so much it becomes a tiny fraction of its original self. then you knock out attenuation as well

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

What's the approximate signal attenuation of a stacked patch cable? I'm imagining you gotta have like a foot of the things before you'd really fractionalize.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Snowy posted:

Just looked it up and gently caress now I want it!

I need to play with the Gristleizers at Patchwerks more, as I'm a sucker for anything related to Throbbing Gristle. But somehow the TG ONE has become my modular white whale instead of those.

Speaking of samplers, I have one of the new 4MS sampler kits that just came in the mail today. :dance: I've played with it a few times since Patchwerks got the built ones in stock (they don't judge if you come in to just hang out and twiddle knobs) and it's a really great no-nonsense sampler with some great features. And it comes with a metric fuckton of good samples just like the Rample did.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Hey kid, I'm a computer.
Stop all the modulating

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Anybody know anything about analog computing in relation to sound? I recall there was a synth that used drone motors as oscillators, but that's more physical than analog IMO.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I think most buchla and serge stuff qualifies? most non digital rack stuff really, maths being the most obvious/popular example.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

B33rChiller posted:

Hey kid, I'm a computer.
Stop all the modulating

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
Thanks to whoever mentioned bespoke synth awhile back. It's massively unlocked the potential of this minilogue XD for me. You can set LFOs and stuff in the soft synth to control midi cc parameters and it's been really interesting adding small and large perturbations to secondary parameters to add some organic movement in the background.

It's pretty amazing how with relatively few moving parts you suddenly get really complex sounds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boody
Aug 15, 2001
Not sure if there are any UK people here looking to pick up a Behringer Edge but Andertons has them in stock for £159. Thomann seems to vary from £199 to £219.