Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Proteus Jones posted:

He has a fully redundant Batcave under the Batcave

So that was his fake giant penny?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zil posted:

Oh no, both caves are the real Batcave. In fact there’s no way to tell which is the original.

You see that’s just how prepared he is. Given enough time to extrapolate events from Wonder Woman’s first appearance, it was obvious she would punch the multi-ton penny onto the Batmobile. And of course he had already planned for the scenario where Superman did nothing to prevent it! THAT’S HOW GOOD BATMAN IS, AND FURTHERMORE

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Heroes in Crisis #4

So going by that image...is WW mad that she forgot to put on underwear and didn't realize she was fighting crime commando?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

crime commando is another person entirely

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Open Marriage Night posted:

A woman that looks like Doctor Doom. People like to really stretch that one so they can be offended.

From what I remember of the post, the romance between Tony and Madame Masque was an actual legit thing and that Tony really loved her despite everything. So Bendis reducing it to a joke was doing a disservice to the history behind the characters.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
And like, making a “haha you slept with an ugly woman” joke isn’t made better just because guys no she’s seriously ugly?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That wasnt the joke, the joke was she wore a riveted mask that looked like Doctor Doom's.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Don't get why Squirrel Girl is upset in that last panel.

Anywho

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Infinitum posted:

Don't get why Squirrel Girl is upset in that last panel.

Anywho

You know the team that did that felt they won every lottery ever when the editor wandered over and said “So guys, I need you to make an issue where Godzilla plays a giant Charles Barkley in a one-on-one basketball game. You up for that? Oh, and make sure Godzilla has Nike high-tops on”

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 3, 2019

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Teenage Fansub posted:

Heroes in Crisis #4

Thank God the Penny missed the 90's animated Batmobile and only hit the 90's Pre-Knightfall Batmobile.

Zil posted:

No there's two giant penny's. One giant Penny he got from Two Face in a post crisis story.

The other giant Penny is the pre-crisis one he got from the Penny Plunderer.

When I was asked about the said origin of the giant penny and started talking about Joe Coyne and his penny based crimes, it led to a long derail.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*struggling to stay polite* "Oh! A giant penny. Really original gift, Harvey (where the hell am I gonna put this)"

*sweating* "Anoth- I mean, a giant penny. Thanks... guy... (jesus batchrist)"

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Soooo, Diana does that Strange cursing thing but lesbians?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

Joe Coyne and his penny based crimes

Just once, I want to see a themed criminal whose backstory is way too on the nose, but for the wrong theme.

Leo Clawson, the child of a family of circus lion tamers, who suffers a mental breakdown after he's run over by a guy driving a Jaguar in the parking lot at the Detroit Tigers stadium. He takes up the tools of his trade and commits crimes as... Doctor Smiles, the Mad Dentist.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Old Lady Harley #3

Bring back lime

Electric_Mud fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jan 3, 2019

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
What is that from?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

"Suffering Sappho" has been one of her exclamations since at least the 50's.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Random Stranger posted:

That's what I asked.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Toshimo posted:

SG, Spiral, Mystique, Emma, The Phoenix Force

Not quite:

Jessica Jones, in the "Jewel" outfit.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
So, I missed one. :colbert:

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

bunnyofdoom posted:

What is that from?

Doh, forgot to include that, it's Old Lady Harley #3.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
I would've guessed Psylocke with a different costume a thousand times before even thinking of JJ

also, their faces are melting

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I appreciate that I'm not the only one who wants lime flavors back for skittles. I wonder what Luthor's position on the bad new flavors of Life Savers is.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

robziel posted:

Old Lady Harley

You have got to be loving kidding me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Toshimo posted:

You have got to be loving kidding me.

Jesus, I googled it, and uh....that panel non-withstanding, it looks terrible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Galvanik posted:

I appreciate that I'm not the only one who wants lime flavors back for skittles. I wonder what Luthor's position on the bad new flavors of Life Savers is.

Green Apple throws the whole thing off, it’s a war crime. Skittles used to be the only candy I liked until it betrayed me.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Samuringa posted:

also, their faces are melting

SG looks like she was photoshopped in.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Old Lady Harley is fine, it's just goofs and spoofs. I'd rather read that than the upcoming Old Man Quill title.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. I think after Marvel announced their third Old Man comic, it's fair game for parody.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Random Stranger posted:

Diana has been lesbian adjacent since her creation.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Old Man Hawkeye was decent. It scratched two of my particular itches: a protagonist working down a list of revenge targets, and the Busiek/Nicieza Thunderbolts roster.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like the idea that every journalist has been replaced with a Cat Grant clone.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Samuringa posted:

Sappho is a poet.

People only guess at her sexuality. The lesbian thing came much much much much later on.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

While 300 years is a long time, it's been almost as long as we've used her birthplace as a shorthand for homosexuality, and the first mention of her queerness - as an already- existing conjecture - in surviving texts is seven times that old.

Whether she was actually homosexual (I'm the sense that we define it) or not is no longer relevant. Commentary on her surviving poetry is fairly agreed that it expresses an eros that our society recognises as homosexual, and it was this expression that gave rise to tales of her work being destroyed by the Church. Sappho the figure is quintessentially Lesbian in both senses whether Sappho the person ever was or not, and it is in this 'modern' (actually thousands of years old) context which Diana invokes her.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

robziel posted:

Old Lady Harley #3

Bring back lime

This speaks to me because gently caress green apple candy.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Archyduchess posted:

Old Man Hawkeye was decent. It scratched two of my particular itches: a protagonist working down a list of revenge targets, and the Busiek/Nicieza Thunderbolts roster.

It wasn't bad but I think the ending was so-so because it was boxed in as a prequel. I think a lot of folks forget that Old Man Logan wasn't great either, it was just a kinda cool elseworlds take on the Marvel universe. The writing was pretty juvenile at times but I think it resonated with people because it was so different and interesting to see that kind of world building.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I thought all Skittles were the same and it's just a mind trick that makes us think that they taste different, or was that just an urban myth?

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah but she hasn't really said it regularly in a long time, has she? I mean I see a lot of "Great Hera!"s and other Greek god references, but not a lot of "Suffering Sappho"s

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 4, 2019

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I thought all Skittles were the same and it's just a mind trick that makes us think that they taste different, or was that just an urban myth?

Yeah but she hasn't really said it regularly in a long time, has she? I mean I see a lot of "Great Hera!"s and other Greek god references, but not a lot of "Suffering Sappho"s

that's m&m's.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

And Froot Loops.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

TwoPair posted:

I mean from her perspective wouldn't using Sappho as an expletive be more equivalent to someone going "Sweet Elvis, that hurts!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009