Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Pick posted:

Also it amazes me the dude who played Dukat was so fuckin rail thin that he makes nana visitor look normal !

Does he even have legs or did god just draw a straight line between his feet and his torso

Surprised this wasn't one of your drawings

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kind of the point of the Federation is that humanity in particular is all too aware of its long, brutal history and takes pains to try to avoid repeating it, the Prime Directive's point mainly being to prevent the horrors of colonialism and avoiding any more militarism than absolutely necessary. (and we see demonstrated how Starfleet can still pose a threat to Federation democracy with a corrupt officer in the right place and a bunch of jingoistic cadets) Likely Starfleet officers are taught to never whitewash their history. (someone oughta tell the Vulcans that)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Kitchner posted:

It was a much better time when you could drink your lunch, smack the secretary on the rear end, and use derogatory slurs in the office without fear of reprimand.

I wonder if when people recreate holodeck programmes from certain time periods they include that stuff. On the one hand it's historically accurate if you say recreated 1950s America to include stuff like racism and sexism (or if you recreated 2018 America lol) but on the other hand I'd be really concerned if Ensign Ricky spent all his spare time in holodeck programmes dropping the N bomb and sexually harassing women.

That said, I have always felt it odd that Sisko got really worked up about going to Vic's bar, where no one was racist, because 1950s America was racist. DS9 is set in 2369, that's like 410 years ago and Earth had been through a eugenics war and a nuclear war since then, not to mention first contact. I mean I guess people today get annoyed about poo poo that happened a couple of hundred years ago but I feel at least the nuclear war is a bit of a reset button right? Like all the poo poo that happened before that is a bit irrelevant.

Sisko was the first actual African-American main character in Star Trek. He was shown to have a deep passion for the history of his people throughout the entire series, from his roots in New Orleans to African statuary to probably a half-dozen things I can't remember off-hand (baseball would be part of it, given its quintessentially Americas (including Canada, Cuba, the South Americas, and Japan by post-war osmosis) cultural history). He CARES about history, and specifically the history of African-Americans.

I really don't get why so many people don't get why he would care about this more than your average human. It's completely plausible that he'd find it irritating (which is as far as he went with it, it's not like he tried to stop anyone else from going, or even said anything about it until Cassidy directly poked him during the heist episode).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's not like half of DS9's alien characters aren't obsessed to some extent with their history and culture in a comparable way. Bashir and Garak even engage in some cross-cultural exchange, with amusing results.

I do like that Garak is shocked that 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' is a children's story.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't forget Sisko literally lived through racist 1950s America where he was blacklisted due to trying to write a short story with a black protagonist, saw his son killed by racist cops(it wasn't his son in that reality but he remembers the face still), and was committed for getting emotional about his systemic oppression. That was his Picard flute experience.

So he lived through all of that before Vic's was up and running.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Kitchner posted:

Surprised this wasn't one of your drawings

I friggin may, but I was already working on a picture of Dukat and had a Dukat episode running for reference (the one where they laugh for like ten minutes about him hurting his butt) and was looking over like yeesh man eat a space burger already

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Please don’t thin shame.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

TNG Genesis is basically just VOY Threshold, except replace "virus" with "transwarp" and "de-evolve into lizards" with "super-evolve into lizards"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

simplefish posted:

TNG Genesis is basically just VOY Threshold, except replace "virus" with "transwarp" and "de-evolve into lizards" with "super-evolve into lizards"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

simplefish posted:

don't you dare

man does the prop for the visor look like shiiiiiiiiit in close-ups.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

simplefish posted:

I mean, they were written by the same guy.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Ghostlight posted:

I mean, they were written by the same guy.

Haha wow. It wasn't Menosky was it? I hope not. His stories can get pretty whack but iirc he's never written anything truly awful.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beerman

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

At the episode with alexander killing himself like he did irl earlier this month :smith:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

simplefish posted:

Also the episode where Worf beats a helmsman to death and nobody even cares

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Just watching the DS9 episode Shadowplay, and it does more for the idea of holograms being people in half an hour than three seasons of hamfisted Voyager plots focusing on the idea like it's a big moral quandary.

Goddamn, Voyager was terrible.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Goddamn, Voyager was terrible.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Pick posted:

I friggin may, but I was already working on a picture of Dukat and had a Dukat episode running for reference (the one where they laugh for like ten minutes about him hurting his butt) and was looking over like yeesh man eat a space burger already

This episode rules, i really enjoyed the interaction between dukat and kira when he was in that nebulous antihero phase

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

thrilla in vanilla posted:

This episode rules, i really enjoyed the interaction between dukat and kira when he was in that nebulous antihero phase

drat the writing on DS9 was something else.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

thrilla in vanilla posted:

It's the best period of Dukat, since they let his perception of himself seem relatable (even though "I did a loooot of war crimes" is hopefully not that relatable to the average viewer). He's a fun character at that stage because regardless of his attempted aloofness, he is way more emotionally-driven than he gives himself credit for, both in positive and negative respects. He has ambition and actually seems to care about what he is doing and why he's doing it. Obviously he is a bad dude, you know, based on the things he does, but compared to the staid Federation members he's just so damned magnetic. He's got so much humanity and presence.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Even when Dukat gets like 12 seconds to mourn some random long-dead Bajoran lady we never met, he communicates so much pathos it's amazing. What's strange is his writing is sort of all over, but Marc Alaimo nails it every time, as an actor he runs circles around basically everyone else ever employed on a Star Trek series.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's definitely a theme running that Kira has a lot more in common with Dukat than she'd like, and she's aware of it. The difference is that Kira's capable of accepting her mistakes and adapting to new situations, while Dukat just doubles and triples down on his cultural and personal jingoism until they lead him to complete madness.

While Dukat's usually played as the counterpart to Sisko, I feel there's actually a lot of role commonalities with Kira; both of them act as the primary liaison between their homeworld and a greater power that seems to incorporate it (the Dominion vs the Federation), both of them work tirelessly for said homeworld while frequently being at odds with its actual leadership and government, and a bunch of other stuff. And they're both very good at fighting dirty. (though Dukat doesn't learn the lessons from it; ironic given most Cardassians are shown to be very bad at guerilla warfare)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think that's very true. That said, I think the show does a disservice often watering it down as a "quirk" with Kira. For example, her going over Sisko's head or generally being a rogue agent on the ship is always shrugged off, much like Quark doing things that almost get the station destroyed. For some reason the show is very uneven about who experiences any accountability.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think the thing is, Kira's theme is that she grew up with the system as her enemy, where accountability was a joke, and she's rightly skeptical of the entire idea. Especially since one of DS9's themes is showing how the Federation and its affiliated worlds certainly aren't free of corruption, systemic issues and irrational prejudice. It's something that if anything resonates especially strongly nowadays, where the idea of following the rules and working within the system as a tool of positive change has rightly become questioned.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yesss. Are there any more?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I'm on ENT now and... uhh...
S1E6 - Vulcans can't lie, that's a Rule. They can twist the truth, that's a complexion in several episodes, but they shouldn't outright lie. Like c'mon...

Also in this episode T'pol has a line about Vulcans NEVER attacking first. As if there was more evidence was needed of how bad STD is, how thr gently caress can she say that presumably knowing about the Vulcan Hello?

Plus sucks for whoever is Hoshi - flawless communication with the Andorians straight off? As first contact? And given what previous episodes made such a big deal about communication over?

E: wait wait WAIT
Haley, age 7, apparently knows 1) USA used to be a thing before the nuclear holocaust and One World Government, and 2) thinks the ENT crew in S1E7 are from that extinct nation state? Wtf?

simplefish fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 23, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Pick posted:

It's the best period of Dukat, since they let his perception of himself seem relatable (even though "I did a loooot of war crimes" is hopefully not that relatable to the average viewer). He's a fun character at that stage because regardless of his attempted aloofness, he is way more emotionally-driven than he gives himself credit for, both in positive and negative respects. He has ambition and actually seems to care about what he is doing and why he's doing it. Obviously he is a bad dude, you know, based on the things he does, but compared to the staid Federation members he's just so damned magnetic. He's got so much humanity and presence.

Remember how they turned the character into a boring villain since he get such a positive fan response?

Makes me think of the book on Saddam in prison in how ever time he managed to win over the hostile guards such that they would come to Saddam for relationship or would just bring him the types of food he enjoyed eating.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm not sure if that was ever confirmed but it was less because of a "positive fan response" and more of a "Maybe Dukat was right" response. Like that little poo poo of a king on Game of Thrones, that was a positive fan response too but no one was going "Maybe he isn't such a bad guy after all" and I'm pretty sure at least a few nerds threw a party after he got dead.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

There was an idea that Kira and Dukat would have a romance but Nana Visitor-Bashir was like no way Jose

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kira and Dukat as a couple would have been a terrible loving soap opera idea and I'd have eaten it up.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Kibayasu posted:

I'm not sure if that was ever confirmed but it was less because of a "positive fan response" and more of a "Maybe Dukat was right" response. Like that little poo poo of a king on Game of Thrones, that was a positive fan response too but no one was going "Maybe he isn't such a bad guy after all" and I'm pretty sure at least a few nerds threw a party after he got dead.
If they didn't want people to think Dukat was right, they shouldn't have demonstrated again and again how incapable of self-governance the Bajorans were.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Strudel Man posted:

If they didn't want people to think Dukat was right, they shouldn't have demonstrated again and again how incapable of self-governance the Bajorans were.

After gaining Independence the USA was completely incapable of governance for like 13 years. Bajorans have been free for like two.

And they didn't even win independence, their conquerors pulled out for political reason and took most of their poo poo.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Two separate problems? Was the continual portrayal of Bajorans as inept buffoons meant to put checkmarks in the "maybe Dukat wasn't so bad" column?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Strudel Man posted:

Ha ha remember when the old religious leader straight up murdered that dude for trying to do a job better than his untouchable caste would allow, after like 3 days of that caste system experiencing a soft re-rollout. Ha ha and remember when that other random Bajoran guy straight-up murdered that Cardassian guy he didn't even know was pretending to be the old supervisor of a mining camp? And they want to have their acceptance into the Federation be expedited because their society has been busy terrorisming so much lately that they can't be held to the same standards as other planets?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

It's probably because at they best they were smug and at the worst they were backstabbing like Kai Winn aka Space Hillary.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The Bajorans 100% do not deserve to be part of the Federation yet.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pick posted:

Ha ha remember when the old religious leader straight up murdered that dude for trying to do a job better than his untouchable caste would allow, after like 3 days of that caste system experiencing a soft re-rollout. Ha ha and remember when that other random Bajoran guy straight-up murdered that Cardassian guy he didn't even know was pretending to be the old supervisor of a mining camp? And they want to have their acceptance into the Federation be expedited because their society has been busy terrorisming so much lately that they can't be held to the same standards as other planets?

And don't forget that village full of idiots that had to have to fight off that supernatural storm on regular intervals because otherwise they'd start fighting eachother.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1008773438373289984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

i love that twitter