Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Alternatively, Dave's Lil Cal corresponds to Caliborn, while Dirk's Lil Cal corresponds to Calliope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Update, gonna think about your comment while I read it!

edit: hahaha, you sure do Caliborn, you sure do.

Anyway yeah, that would make somee sense what with Dirk's being very passive and Dave's being incredibly active, which would fit their player roles.

team overhead smash fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 21, 2012

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
I really can't say anything more about how much I'm loving Caliborn. This comic has the best loving villains.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

OK, Andrew! Let's play a game called Make the Main Villain Sympathetic!

Ready?

Great job!

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Haha, okay, so I guess the red/green thing doesn't necessarily mean what most everyone thought it means. Just (for some value of "just") locked/unlocked features on the special radio tower that'll maybe give Caliborn crazy story powers eventually.

(Also, come on, it's easy to type with both hands, holding down shift with one finger. NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER.)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

Haha, okay, so I guess the red/green thing doesn't necessarily mean what most everyone thought it means. Just (for some value of "just") locked/unlocked features on the special radio tower that'll maybe give Caliborn crazy story powers eventually.

(Also, come on, it's easy to type with both hands, holding down shift with one finger. NO PROBLEM WHATSOEVER.)
Well, yeah, when you're typing out once sentence like that. But if that's your main typographical style, then why bother?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I was referring to this part:

quote:

Hang on. Are you saying you hold down shift with one hand, while hunting and pecking for all the letters with the other?

Of course, the brain-reading/writing narrator voice probably knows exactly how Caliborn types, but it's not really necessary. (Caliborn is not good at things mostly.)

escape mechanism
Feb 12, 2012

A key to unlock the capslock key. God, I can't get enough of those stupid keyboard puns.

And it's really amazing how Caliborn is too stubborn to use the shift key after being told that it would solve his problem. Being a pigheaded blowhard is a learning disability too.

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009
So I guess it was Hussie talking to him after all. I wonder when the horses show up.

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

It's gonna be pretty bad when (I'm guessing at the end of the intermission) Caliborn unlocks the command terminal. How do you defeat an enemy who is deciding your every action? :ohdear:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The message of Homestuck is now that people with learning disabilities are evil.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Huh.

So, uh, if this transmitter is what's broadcasting Hussie's story to all the characters (and kinda-sorta making them do what he wants by controlling the way they think), then maybe the treasure Vriska is hunting for is the key. Which would unlock the tower, turn it off, and end the story. Freeing them from Andrew Hussie.

But, yeah, the caps-lock thing is making it look like Caliborn is going to "type into existance" Lord English from this keyboard. Because LE types in all-caps. No little u.

On the other hand, I just found a completely unrelated quotation that is making my head hurt:

quote:

TA: iin order for the vii2iion2 two be riight, that ha2 two happen, and the uniiver2e wiill make 2ure iit wiill.
TA: iit2 kiind of liike how a prophet earn2 hii2 2triipe2, by beiing bliind, liike how an angel earn2 iit2 wiing2.

Caliborn (cherub angel) needs to go god-tier (earn his wings), and he can do that by going blind (pool-ball eyes).

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left

Luminous Obscurity posted:

I really can't say anything more about how much I'm loving Caliborn. This comic has the best loving villains.

What's amazing is the fact that the villains he writes ought to be corny and cliched. I mean, we've got Jack Noir and Caliborn, a pair of sociopaths who solve all their problems by either stabbing or shooting them. On paper that doesn't sound particularly compelling, but Hussie characterizes them so well they become unique and memorable.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

New, completely off-the-wall idea.

So, Andrew Hussie would've had the "key" originally, right? Before it was lost? What if the key is the ring he gave Vriska?. The keyhole could be a red herring. Maybe you slip the ring over the glowy bit to unlock the computer.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Arthur Crackpot posted:

What's amazing is the fact that the villains he writes ought to be corny and cliched. I mean, we've got Jack Noir and Caliborn, a pair of sociopaths who solve all their problems by either stabbing or shooting them. On paper that doesn't sound particularly compelling, but Hussie characterizes them so well they become unique and memorable.

Jack is a typical 'destroy everything' villain. Doc Scratch was your typical 'mastermind' villain. The Condesce was your typical 'tyrant' villain.

Lord English is all three.

And all of them are kind of excellent in their own way (except maybe the Condesce who hasn't really gotten much direct screen time but Meenah is ace).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If Caliborn writes Lord English into existence rather than just becoming him, then it will definitely be related to how Skaia is a crucible of unlimited creative potential.

We also have confirmation that Gamzee was "a fan" of Caliborn. Also he's apparently actually dead?

It seems that characters are aware of the narration on some subconscious level, but Caliborn must be particularly perceptive to be able to pick it out. Well, it helps that Hussie got flustered and contrary. The possibility of Caliborn influencing other characters' thoughts through the narration device is introduced here, and that is somewhat chilling.

The tower is both a transmitter and a receiver, and it can be used as the source of the narration, but until Caliborn either A) finds the key, or B) realizes that if he just types like normal he'll be copying Calliope's typing quirk, it should be trivial to distinguish between Hussie's narration and Caliborn's.

Hussie is an omniscient narrator, in a different sense than Doc Scratch was; he knows what all the characters are thinking. But he's still a goofball, and that's how Lord English got the drop on him. I'm starting to wonder if the yardstick in his authorial limbo dimension was a red herring, and the Yellow Yard in which he influences the story hasn't actually happened yet.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

We also have confirmation that Gamzee was "a fan" of Caliborn. Also he's apparently actually dead?

He says that Gamzee was gunned down and he was a fan of his. He doesn't say he's dead yet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Good point. The odds of a "Don't turn your back on the body" are increasing.

E: Apropos of nothing, does anybody have the page(s) early on where a faint spiral watermark is visible in the panel?

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 21, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Bobulus posted:

New, completely off-the-wall idea.

So, Andrew Hussie would've had the "key" originally, right? Before it was lost? What if the key is the ring he gave Vriska?. The keyhole could be a red herring. Maybe you slip the ring over the glowy bit to unlock the computer.

I'm thinking self-insert Hussie character is a distinct, if related, entity to what we're seeing now. What we're seeing now seems to be Hussie as the actual narrator.

I love meta.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Bongo Bill posted:

Good point. The odds of a "Don't turn your back on the body" are increasing.

E: Apropos of nothing, does anybody have the page(s) early on where a faint spiral watermark is visible in the panel?

Here and also there's this too (look at the tabs).

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 21, 2012

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Is anyone else reminded of HAL 9000 by the red glowing keyhole?

Arthur Crackpot posted:

A lot of these villains have childlike qualities that make them, if not sympathetic, definitely memorable and arguably relatable: Jack's impatience and his nanosecond attention span, and Caliborn's petulance and brattiness. We don't know much about the Condense, but the only hint we have of her personality is from Meenah, who of course is Little Miss Sass. Really, the only "grown-up" villain is Doc Scratch.

Regy Rusty posted:

The message of Homestuck is now that people with learning disabilities are evil.

You forgot Mituna. And everybody loves Mituna. That little guy tries so hard. He's like Homestuck's equivalent of Lil' Brudder, the one-legged puppy from Homestar Runner.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Mazerunner posted:

Here and also there's this too (look at the tabs).

Don't forget on the present John's holding.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Actually I'm having some sort of half-baked idea right now, but what if whatever is communicating with Caliborn right now isn't Hussie, but the audience itself?

I mean the moment when the narration started getting all passive-aggressive and 'talking to' Caliborn was right when he looked directly at the 'camera'- at the audience.

And the question of whose perspective, exactly, the narrative is being written from and to has been going on for a while. At times, it seems to be addressing the characters, at others, it addresses the audience, sometimes it comes from the character's perspective, others from the audience's, or the author's.

I mentioned this briefly earlier, but Homestuck/MSPA started as a reader-driven CYOA type story. WV was introduced as an 'in-narrative' way of explaining why reader-commands would no longer be taken, but the format persisted. So I think you could consider the narrative, the commands, as coming from 'us', the audience. Mostly to the characters, but sometimes to ourselves, even as we converse and argue and theorize on tumblr and in various forums and what not.

And let's not forget that the audience is a character in Homestuck as well. Doc Scratch hosted us, we have our own land, we've played games with Jade, we even helped John move his cake.

Also, a big thing everyone's noticed about the cherubs is how they reflect the audience and the fandom, its good and bad qualities. So now we have audience-as-character and character-as-audience.

Now we have a character sitting in our seat, interacting with the narrative in the way 'we' should be. The character-as-audience has become just as powerful as the audience-as-character.

why can't writing my actual essays for actual real-life school work come this easily :(

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Indie Rocktopus posted:

You forgot Mituna. And everybody loves Mituna. That little guy tries so hard. He's like Homestuck's equivalent of Lil' Brudder, the one-legged puppy from Homestar Runner.

It just goes to show, people with brain damage are the real heroes.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

The possibility of Caliborn influencing other characters' thoughts through the narration device is introduced here, and that is somewhat chilling.

I would lay decent odds at his first attempt being trying to get John to poo poo on his desk.

Bongo Bill posted:

it should be trivial to distinguish between Hussie's narration and Caliborn's.

Note that Caliborn's is not in 100% black, either. It's just a very dark shade of grey. Would be a good thing to look for if we're worried about Caliborn hijacking the narrative at a future time.

Mazerunner posted:

Actually I'm having some sort of half-baked idea right now, but what if whatever is communicating with Caliborn right now isn't Hussie, but the audience itself?

Eh, I think it's Hussie. When Hussie is in-comic as an orange dude, all his dialogue is in the narration box. Just like here. We also saw him "talking" to Jade in her thoughts the way we just saw with Caliborn way back in Act 5.2

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

From the Jade update you linked... So Lord English's coat is too thick to hear what Hussie is saying, eh?

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

From the Jade update you linked... So Lord English's coat is too thick to hear what Hussie is saying, eh?

Ha! That's funny. I'm going to submit that idea to the crazy theorycrafters and see if makes them laugh. :)

k5josh
Nov 23, 2011
If you look on the search function on MSPA, it shows that these are "Authorlogs." Seems to confirm that it's Hussie on the other end.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Maybe this interaction explains why Lord English doesn't talk with lowercase Us.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Spellman posted:

Maybe this interaction explains why Lord English doesn't talk with lowercase Us.

When does Lord English actually talk?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Dogbutt posted:

When does Lord English actually talk?
The banner starting here.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That appears to be a Target logo, left over from the photograph used to create the scene.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

He says that Gamzee was gunned down and he was a fan of his. He doesn't say he's dead yet.

Gamzee appears to be God Tier, so I kind of doubt he's gone for good. In fact this event is probably why he's currently skulking around the ventilation shafts of the kid's ship.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

That appears to be a Target logo, left over from the photograph used to create the scene.
It's the Dreamstime logo.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

readingatwork posted:

Gamzee appears to be God Tier, so I kind of doubt he's gone for good. In fact this event is probably why he's currently skulking around the ventilation shafts of the kid's ship.

Halfbaked theory: Gamzee's dreamself wandered into a crypt on Prospit like with Aradia, Dave and Rose, and when Jack nuked their Prospit his dreamself ascended to godhood while normal Gamzee was still fine.

Can it even work that way? Who knows. Probably not.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think Hussie might be the only authour I've ever seen to have himself talk to one of his characters and have it "work". Usually it's stupid, pretentious, poorly though out, etc, but Homestuck's done an amazing job of incorperating the idea of the story actually being a story and having a villain that seizes control of the narrative and it works.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

I think Hussie might be the only authour I've ever seen to have himself talk to one of his characters and have it "work". Usually it's stupid, pretentious, poorly though out, etc, but Homestuck's done an amazing job of incorperating the idea of the story actually being a story and having a villain that seizes control of the narrative and it works.

For an example of this concept failing spectacularly see the last three books of The Dark Tower series.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Bongo Bill posted:

We also have confirmation that Gamzee was "a fan" of Caliborn.

Judging from this, I'm pretty sure that cherubs are the Mirthful Messiahs.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Dolash posted:

Breakfast of Champions? Andrew Hussie probably learned everything he knows about fictional writing from Kurt Vonnegut.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Dolash posted:

1/0 was pretty good, but only because it established from day 1 that the comic would always be about author / creation interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

Judging from this, I'm pretty sure that cherubs are the Mirthful Messiahs.

The Subjugglators' cult worshiped Lord English and Doc Scratch. Gamzee had an epiphany that he himself was the Mirthful Messiahs. Ultimately they are based on cherubs, because everything in paradox space is inspired by legends about itself, but I don't think that the "true" identity of these mysterious figures matters nearly as much as the faith of their demented adherents.