Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Sundae posted:

If it makes anyone feel better, not everything is rainbows every day here. I'm currently drafting up a 500+ page installation testing protocol with no project team to support the testing, and where the approval matrix assumes I have five distinct team-members performing different roles in the process. :suicide:

Yeah but they still give you artisan chocolate fusion tacos for free so it's still a better job then mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

BigDave posted:

Yeah but they still give you artisan chocolate fusion tacos for free so it's still a better job then mine.

Man I’m starving and some sort of pad thai taco with mole sauce sounds pretty dang good. That or maybe like a fancy bespoke dessert chocotaco?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

What is factory invoice price and is it a good discount?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yawgmoth posted:

I have large swathes of time to fill at work that are only sometimes and/or intermittently filled with actual work, so I end up reading a lot of books on pdf and planning for my D&D game. As a result I have extremely detailed games because why not spend 5 hours coming up with a web of political and corporate espionage?

I decided to get back into some machine learning stuff since it's at least tangentially related to what I do for real

So far all I've really found on our sales data is what I think is an upsell

I guess it's actually working? :confuoot:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

FAUXTON posted:

What is factory invoice price and is it a good discount?

On theory it's the price they paid the factory for it.

In reality it's what the salesperson says they paid the factory for it, because they're giving you a GREAT DEAL.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Volmarias posted:

In reality it's what the salesperson says they paid the factory for it, because they're giving you a GREAT DEAL.

When I used to underwrite loans for boats, RVs, etc, we would always have to get a manufacturer's invoice to value them. It was tough getting them out of a lot of dealerships because compared to cars they have a really high markup for new ones, and they worried that we would disclose to the customers what they paid the manufacturer.

Given that I received complaints from a dealership one time after the fact that the banker showed the invoice to the customer, I guess it was well founded.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Volmarias posted:

Yeah I thought so, it's an employee discount thing that is priced directly from the manufacturer via an internal site but it's also .... not a great brand these days.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Edit... This is not the thread I was on in the app...

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

therobit posted:

When I used to underwrite loans for boats, RVs, etc, we would always have to get a manufacturer's invoice to value them. It was tough getting them out of a lot of dealerships because compared to cars they have a really high markup for new ones, and they worried that we would disclose to the customers what they paid the manufacturer.

Given that I received complaints from a dealership one time after the fact that the banker showed the invoice to the customer, I guess it was well founded.

Rate mark-ups are still the shadiest loving thing in the world to me. It blows my loving mind that dealers can bump up rates and collect a fee from the lender for it. Like what a loving awful practice for your customers. I have no idea how it's still allowed.

In general never work with loving boat dealers.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
So I've been at my new job for about a month, but I'm already thinking of leaving as it's not paying enough and not challenging enough. I took it because I got laid off from my previous job early last month.

I'm thinking of job hunting again, but not sure if it's worth putting this new job on my resume or not, since it's only been about a month. Is it better to put it on the resume just to show I've been employed, and explain that I'm looking for something more challenging/rewarding?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

momtartin posted:

So I've been at my new job for about a month, but I'm already thinking of leaving as it's not paying enough and not challenging enough. I took it because I got laid off from my previous job early last month.

I'm thinking of job hunting again, but not sure if it's worth putting this new job on my resume or not, since it's only been about a month. Is it better to put it on the resume just to show I've been employed, and explain that I'm looking for something more challenging/rewarding?

Less than two months of job searching probably looks better than bailing on a job after one month. I think most people, even managers, understand that getting laid off happens and that it can take time to get a new gig that works for all parties.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

tumblr hype man posted:

Rate mark-ups are still the shadiest loving thing in the world to me. It blows my loving mind that dealers can bump up rates and collect a fee from the lender for it. Like what a loving awful practice for your customers. I have no idea how it's still allowed.

In general never work with loving boat dealers.

I was talking about price markups, and I have never done indirect/ dealer services, but yeah interest rate markups by the dealer are bad. And they were beginning to fall under regulatory scrutiny before the current administration got going because they are often a way to discriminate that goes unseen. A number of operations have been caught giving higher rates to minorities just because they can. That's why more respectable banks don't allow dealer pricing of loans.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I need to somehow last another 3 months and 1 week in this gig. I really want to leave but I'll be on the hook for paying back the signing bonus if I leave in under a year and gently caress that. The money's been spent, assholes.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Trabant posted:

I need to somehow last another 3 months and 1 week in this gig. I really want to leave but I'll be on the hook for paying back the signing bonus if I leave in under a year and gently caress that. The money's been spent, assholes.

You could also just get your next employer to cover that in their own signing bonus if you have to.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Chaotic Flame posted:

You could also just get your next employer to cover that in their own signing bonus if you have to.

Qft this is how you play that game

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hoshi posted:

Qft this is how you play that game

Yep. Some companies will actually do this. You can even take it a step further, sometimes. J&J buffed up their tax-protected signing bonus for me to account for the amount of 401K vesting I was losing by leaving Lilly to join them. Unless you're downright desperate, it never hurts to ask during negotiations.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Closing in on two hours for our “stand up” dev meeting today.

“Instead of doing targeted project stands up with the smaller teams let’s get the whole group in and talk in gritty details about all of our projects.”

“What do you call that management style?”

“👏AGILE!👏”

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Higgy posted:

“Instead of doing targeted project stands up with the smaller teams let’s get the whole group in and talk in gritty details about all of our projects.”

“👏AGILE!👏”
Aaahhhhahahahahahahaha

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
re: paying back my bonus -- this was the first time I've received one at signing so I'm not holding out hope that the next employer would entertain that idea. But point taken, I probably shouldn't let that hold me back.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Trabant posted:

re: paying back my bonus -- this was the first time I've received one at signing so I'm not holding out hope that the next employer would entertain that idea. But point taken, I probably shouldn't let that hold me back.

If you got one, you can get another. It's easier to get a company to give a one-time payout than it is for something recurring like salary or benefits, so always be prepared to at least request it, especially if you're leaving something on the table with your previous employer.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Higgy posted:

“👏AGILE!👏”

The fake-it-till-you-make-it style of management lol

By make it I mean a finished product

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Our scrum master would flip his poo poo if stand-up was more than 20 minutes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

No Butt Stuff posted:

I start making motions and noises for people to wrap it the gently caress up after 10 if we ever reach that point, how in the world are you getting to 20?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

No Butt Stuff posted:

What would he do if someone slipped and called him a scrotum master

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

On my old team we would regularly have 30-45 minute stands that would also start 15-30 minutes late because of my boss.

On my new team we have strict 10 minute max stands that start on time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

No Butt Stuff posted:

Means you had a good scrum master. Back when I was forced to be an agile coach/scrum master in my old job, I'd cut people off the second they deviated from the "what I did, what I will do, here are my roadblocks" formula because otherwise stand ups become long enough to to be unbearable, and people stop showing up.

As an aside I'm so glad nobody in my new gig even knows what agile is, except my boss who hates it.

scrammysaur
Dec 27, 2013

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Trabant posted:

I left a company at ten months and the company just forgot that I owed them a pro rated portion of the bonus for leaving before a year :banjo:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

scrammysaur posted:

I left a company at ten months and the company just forgot that I owed them a pro rated portion of the bonus for leaving before a year :banjo:

How long ago was this, because it is entirely possible they'll send you a bill out of nowhere when they happen to audit HR

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Yeah, my last employer did that for overpaying me by about $200 on my last paycheck due to their idiotic PTO accrual methods. Took them six months to figure it out.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

We had a set of presentations to explain impacts from model changes throughout the quarter. I'm the newest and went first, stood at the front of the room, answered questions, it was fine

Then as everyone else goes I realize hey, everyone else is doing it from their seats…

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eric the Mauve posted:

How long ago was this, because it is entirely possible they'll send you a bill out of nowhere when they happen to audit HR

They may also (try to) charge him pre-tax value plus interest on money received post-tax. :D

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sundae posted:

They may also (try to) charge him pre-tax value plus interest on money received post-tax. :D

:capitalism:

Took the threads advice and turned some work code and GUI work I was gonna replicate programatically and turned it into chunks of work with answer keys, more or less. Turned out pretty well to let the newer guys give things a shot and see how close they got to workable product.

scrammysaur
Dec 27, 2013

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Eric the Mauve posted:

Almost two years ago

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 24, 2020

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hoshi posted:

We had a set of presentations to explain impacts from model changes throughout the quarter. I'm the newest and went first, stood at the front of the room, answered questions, it was fine

Then as everyone else goes I realize hey, everyone else is doing it from their seats…
I’ve been to these meetings and I’d rather people go to the front than mumble poo poo from their seats.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Now that I've done it once, I'm tempted to keep doing it - new paradigm ahoy!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Hoshi posted:

Now that I've done it once, I'm tempted to keep doing it - new paradigm ahoy!

Do it, and when the other guys start "presenting" from their seat, interrupt them and ask why they are sitting.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
edit: gently caress this thread

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 24, 2020

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

evobatman posted:

Do it, and when the other guys start "presenting" from their seat, interrupt them and ask why they are sitting.

Make sure to lean back and forth too as if people are blocking your view of the speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

My boss just let me know my raise went through for a cool 6% I get for doing nothing more than I normally do. :woop: