Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Tyrant’s little looming lean he does when stepping through a low door just goddamn delights me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Do not play RE6 solo.
Just do not.

OTOH i played through all 4 campaigns with my brother, TWICE (though the two runs were a year or so apart), and had a blast.

Favorite little thing in RE6: the "call your partner to help you open this coop door" button is range sensitive. Helena waiting at the door, hammering the call button and shouting :argh: "LEEOOoONN!" at the top of her lungs with a cracking voice every 2 seconds, while your lost coop partner navigates aisles of creepy crypts a hundred yards away, similarly furiously mashing the auto-respond button to howl "ALL RIGHT :discourse: " across the entire graveyard every meter of the way is pure entertainment.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

re6's mercenaries mode is legit the best thing in resident evil as a whole when playing coop

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HenryEx posted:

Do not play RE6 solo.
Just do not.

OTOH i played through all 4 campaigns with my brother, TWICE (though the two runs were a year or so apart), and had a blast.

Favorite little thing in RE6: the "call your partner to help you open this coop door" button is range sensitive. Helena waiting at the door, hammering the call button and shouting :argh: "LEEOOoONN!" at the top of her lungs with a cracking voice every 2 seconds, while your lost coop partner navigates aisles of creepy crypts a hundred yards away, similarly furiously mashing the auto-respond button to howl "ALL RIGHT :discourse: " across the entire graveyard every meter of the way is pure entertainment.

In addition to this, Chris and Piers just get increasingly angry at each other no matter what the distance or situation. "chris. Chris. CHRIS. CAPTAIN! CAPTAIN! CHRIS!", which fits their campaign, in which Chris got so angry that his squad got owned he got amnesia about it, and was only reminded of what happened when he got extra pissed off again later on.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

HenryEx posted:

Do not play RE6 solo.
Just do not.

Except for that one part where it's a car chase in a jeep or something and in the multiplayer the car literally does not move fast enough to catch the target. Maybe there's a mod for that or something, but we looked it up after failing a bunch and apparently it's a known glitch.

So yeah, duck out of MP and solo that part.

Otherwise RE4-6 are good examples of why transitioning to an action format worked for the series. Part of the reason I haven't played 7 yet is because it has no co-op.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

In Apex Legends there's cool gigantic peaceful creatures hanging out in the water just outside the playable area, that you can only really see while you're dropping into the game.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Another fun moment in RE4 is when Leon throws a knife through Salazar's hand just to be a dick.

Oh and:
"I've sent my right hand after you."
"Your right hand comes off? :smug:

The enemies' chanting in the castle always sounded like it was coming from right behind you for maximum spookitude.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Dr Christmas posted:

The enemies' chanting in the castle always sounded like it was coming from right behind you for maximum spookitude.

There's a certain piece of dialog enemies only use when they're behind you, and they're literally saying "I'm behind you, idiot!" in Spanish.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

haveblue posted:

There's a certain piece of dialog enemies only use when they're behind you, and they're literally saying "I'm behind you, idiot!" in Spanish.

“¡DETRÁS DE TI, IMBÉCIL!”

I think there were male and female versions of that same shout. :allears:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Dr Christmas posted:

Another fun moment in RE4 is when Leon throws a knife through Salazar's hand just to be a dick.

Oh and:

Leon trying so hard to make one liners and them all being stupid is so good :allears: "Rain or shine, you're going down!" --a total not-dork

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
People reacting as if Leon's one liners are actually cool and badass even though they are very lame is exactly what makes them cool and badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHChmYcpdd4&t=12s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lp5Py-FGJi4

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

HenryEx posted:

Do not play RE6 solo.
Just do not.

My buddy and I still occasionally do the

:byodood: CHRIIIIIIIISSS
:byodood: SHEVA

exchange when we're trying to get each other's attention

RE5 was a delight

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Running around in Chris’ zebra suit while suplexing zombies with my friend is some of my best video gaming memories from High School. People that claim the game isn’t good just don’t know how to have fun anymore.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you can absolutely have fun in a game playing with a friend in spite of the quality of the actual game

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

Dr Christmas posted:

Oh and:

:eng101: You're right hand comes off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7BtSPDuGJc

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
And he probably fucken meant it as a genuine question because Leon Scott Kennedy has lived through some nonsense

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Calaveron posted:

And he probably fucken meant it as a genuine question because Leon Scott Kennedy has lived through some nonsense

Now that you mention it, that was a pretty legit question :shepface:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Yeah, meeting a dude with a detachable right hand probably isn't even top ten weird moments for Leon.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
been playing a lot of Brigador lately. it loving rules and I wish i'd had time to play it sooner.

right now i'm just kind of stoked to see a game that continues the tradition of throwing in Zyborne Clock references: Johnny Five-Aces is a possible pilot. his character gimmick in the freelance missions is that he always starts at the highest difficulty, but with each completed section it gets easier. also, he has a MASSIVE payout bonus, but a minuscule multiplier--so while it looks like playing as Johnny will earn you mad cash, you get very little in actuality.

i just wish his mech in the campaign wasn't such a pain in the rear end to use. i struggle to play the small, fast-moving, attack and redeploy mechs and Johnny's is specifically that. currently stuck on his second mission because it takes place in a farm sector so there aren't lots of streets to run and hide in.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The exasperated swearing as zombies keep getting up in Resi2 is great, but claires unique "gently caress this" if you make her do the slide in the sewers she never actually has to do in her run is fantastic delivery. Leon's "is this a loving joke" from near the end of his campaign is also the moment you can tell this man will grow up to spit lovely dad-joke caliber one liners at spanish nobility.

I also appreciate that Resi2 has an adjustable difficulty just like Re4 and that just like Re4 works so well nobody noticed until they started datamining.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Barudak posted:

I also appreciate that Resi2 has an adjustable difficulty just like Re4 and that just like Re4 works so well nobody noticed until they started datamining.

I haven't played the game, but is it right to assume that Mr X is a way to keep players relatively low on ammo. Does he turn up less if you're out of bullets?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can't spend a single bullet on him, because if you down him he'll get up in 30 seconds. No enemies drop supplies, and X is constantly searching for you so he will inevitably home in on you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, sadly Mr. X is not Jack from RE 7.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Oh man the mission in Hacknet where you have to break into someone's pacemaker to euthanise them is really intense and weird - especially as its all through a clinical gui.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

Today I learned that Re4 had a dynamic difficulty. I thought I was starting to suck less.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Don Gato posted:

Today I learned that Re4 had a dynamic difficulty. I thought I was starting to suck less.

Its extremely subtle and well calibrated with only one oddity in the code so its very possible you also are starting to suck less and the dynamic difficulty has nothing to do with your improvements.

It also only exists on normal difficulty, easy and professional are just the regular game hard-locked to a certain dynamic difficulty score.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Necrothatcher posted:

Oh man the mission in Hacknet where you have to break into someone's pacemaker to euthanise them is really intense and weird - especially as its all through a clinical gui.

I ride an ICD, and anything like this - Be it Hacknet's "euthenize this patient with their pacer" or watch_dogs' "kill the final boss with his ICD's open Bluetooth connection to the world" makes me deeply uncomfortable. If I didn't know for absolute fact that my device is locked and only communicates through magnetic resonance connection with a total range of an inch, I'd be even more paranoid than I already am.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
We can only hope that using these things as plot points in popular media will help make the people who produce those things more security-conscious. Otherwise I don't think anything's likely to be done about it until people are dying in reality because their implants got hacked.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

We can only hope that using these things as plot points in popular media will help make the people who produce those things more security-conscious. Otherwise I don't think anything's likely to be done about it until people are dying in reality because their implants got hacked.

The problem is less the people making them and more the people using them. A hell of a lot of devices come with the default username/password combo of admin/admin and most people don't bother changing that. Guess what sort of thing gets used to put botnets together? Just connect to every single internet of things device you can find connected to the internet somehow and then try admin/admin. You'll get millions of insecure devices doing that. The software that makes them work is also never flawless; it needs to be updated and security is a constant arms race. There are exploits nobody has found yet guaranteed and you just can't think of every possibility when you're writing software. So you do the best you can then when an exploit happens you patch it quick as you can and update the software.

However end users have a tendency to not even bother checking if updates exist let alone actually applying them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It doesn't even have to be a malicious attack, it could be simple incompetence and lack of foresight. The internet is full of stories about smart lightbulbs/thermostats/door locks etc getting stuck in failure states for dumb reasons, just imagine if someone's life depended on a product of that quality.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Hacknet is all spookily plausible about it too. The conceit is that that pacemaker needs to be online so it can give doctors live updates. You have to find a back door through the firmware upgrade system (contracted out by the manufacturer to another less secure company) then upload a test firmware that cycles through all modes repeatedly to check for faults.

This kills the patient.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I will admit that I have a google home and a ton of smart outlets, because god drat they are convenient. But, I also put them on an isolated wireless network on it's own router (an older one running dd-wrt), with a pihole for the DNS.

On my normal network, abbout 14% of traffic is blocked by the pihole. On the wireless switch and google home network? It's like 80%. Only 20% of the traffic is keep-alive/heartbeat requests, the rest is random connections to ad networks and overseas requests to Chinese domains.

I've read that people with Rokus can get 98%+ blocked traffic, because Rokus are basically subsidized spying devices that only occasionally use CPU cycles to display video. Like, they audit your network using aggressive techniques and send that data off to somewhere.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Feb 6, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Necrothatcher posted:

Hacknet is all spookily plausible about it too. The conceit is that that pacemaker needs to be online so it can give doctors live updates. You have to find a back door through the firmware upgrade system (contracted out by the manufacturer to another less secure company) then upload a test firmware that cycles through all modes repeatedly to check for faults.

This kills the patient.

Internet connected pacemakers actually exist and are reasonably common. The FDA recalled a ton a couple years ago over hacking concerns.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Queen Combat posted:

I've read that people with Rokus can get 98%+ blocked traffic, because Rokus are basically subsidized spying devices that only occasionally use CPU cycles to display video. Like, they audit your network using aggressive techniques and send that data off to somewhere.

Just one of the many reasons my roku-based "smart" TV is not connected to the internet.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Internet connected pacemakers actually exist and are reasonably common.

CPAPs too

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Queen Combat posted:

I will admit that I have a google home and a ton of smart outlets, because god drat they are convenient. But, I also put them on an isolated wireless network on it's own router (an older one running dd-wrt), with a pihole for the DNS.

On my normal network, abbout 14% of traffic is blocked by the pihole. On the wireless switch and google home network? It's like 80%. Only 20% of the traffic is keep-alive/heartbeat requests, the rest is random connections to ad networks and overseas requests to Chinese domains.

My SmartTV is an three-year-old laptop plugged into a dumb-TV via HDMI.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

boar guy posted:

CPAPs too

Fortunately the FDA requires a pretty comprehensive cybersecurity plan for any device that can be connected to wirelessly, implantable or not.

Europe however is a lot more...lax when it comes to device safety though.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I have a soft-spot for the Darksiders games. They're inane and badly written, but they're also endearingly bananas. They also occasionally pull out something really clever.

In all the games, the Horseman that you play as can transform into a big super smashy final form. War becomes a giant flame demon, Death becomes a floaty reaper ghost etc etc. But while War and Envy feel like a very videogamey transformation, Death has elements of his Reaper form in his normal moves. Carrying a heavy objects has a giant pair of ghost hands appear above him, some of your attacks have a spectral dupilicate shoot out of your scythe, one of your counters has you dodge out the way while your ghost scythe does all the murdering. It really makes it feel like the Reaper is an integral part of Death's being, and not just some other character you take over by holding both shoulder buttons when the meter is full.

They show that same attention to detail in the final boss of Darksiders 3, who has absorbed all the powers of the 7 deadly sins (the previous bosses of the game) and also the other horsemen. She throws ghost versions of the previous bosses at you, who do one of the attacks from their boss fight and then vanish. But she also fights using the same attacks and combos that War and Death dead in their games years and years ago. It's a really nice bit of character design.

DS2 got a lot of flak for how everything needs to be collected in threes (at one point you collect three horns to get an audience with a king who wont let you pass until you go and find where his three Captains have got to. The third captain won't come with you until you rescue three ghosts for him. When you finally get the three Captains back together, the King immediately executes them for desertion) and early on in DS3 Fury comes across a gate that needs 3 magic swords to open. She goes on a completely unhinged rant about how its always 3, and the Creator must be lazy, and her sidekick is really freaked out by the whole thing.

The really good little thing? There's already one sword on it's pedestal, so you actually only collect 2. At no point in the entire game do you collect anything in groups of 3.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I have a soft-spot for the Darksiders games. They're inane and badly written, but they're also endearingly bananas. They also occasionally pull out something really clever.

In all the games, the Horseman that you play as can transform into a big super smashy final form. War becomes a giant flame demon, Death becomes a floaty reaper ghost etc etc. But while War and Envy feel like a very videogamey transformation, Death has elements of his Reaper form in his normal moves. Carrying a heavy objects has a giant pair of ghost hands appear above him, some of your attacks have a spectral dupilicate shoot out of your scythe, one of your counters has you dodge out the way while your ghost scythe does all the murdering. It really makes it feel like the Reaper is an integral part of Death's being, and not just some other character you take over by holding both shoulder buttons when the meter is full.

They show that same attention to detail in the final boss of Darksiders 3, who has absorbed all the powers of the 7 deadly sins (the previous bosses of the game) and also the other horsemen. She throws ghost versions of the previous bosses at you, who do one of the attacks from their boss fight and then vanish. But she also fights using the same attacks and combos that War and Death dead in their games years and years ago. It's a really nice bit of character design.

DS2 got a lot of flak for how everything needs to be collected in threes (at one point you collect three horns to get an audience with a king who wont let you pass until you go and find where his three Captains have got to. The third captain won't come with you until you rescue three ghosts for him. When you finally get the three Captains back together, the King immediately executes them for desertion) and early on in DS3 Fury comes across a gate that needs 3 magic swords to open. She goes on a completely unhinged rant about how its always 3, and the Creator must be lazy, and her sidekick is really freaked out by the whole thing.

The really good little thing? There's already one sword on it's pedestal, so you actually only collect 2. At no point in the entire game do you collect anything in groups of 3.
DS2 was a lot of fun, I liked the equipment system and I liked how Death was such a grouchy bitch. The game starts you out in this beautiful verdant area where you fight a gigantic boss at the end and then it just sends you to generic grimdark :effort: wastelands that yeah you have to find everything in threes so I lost all interest and stopped playing

But I kinda wanna play 3 just for said rant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I always found it weird that the embodiment of Death himself had no real power or influence in a place called "Land of the Dead" and still has to do menial fetch quests to get anything done.